Photo: Ethan Miller/2010 Getty Images
In the last year, Austin C. Pratt-Fusari, a tattoo artist at Sacred Tattoo on Broadway, has noticed a resurgence in lower-back tattoos. Women in particular, he said, are coming in and asking for so-called tramp stamps again more than they have in about a decade.
When I first started tattooing around 2005, they were quite common, recalls Pratt-Fusari. But then, probably around 2011, they just stopped.
Men and women have been tattooing their lower backs in one way or another since forever. But the tramp stamp, specifically, became a thing in the late 90s and early 2000s, when the eras biggest celebrities Britney Spears, Aaliyah, Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan all started getting tattoos of butterflies and crosses and such on their lower backs, and flaunting them with fashions of the day like crop tops and low-rise jeans.
Inevitably, the Y2K aesthetic fell out of favor not to mention the word tramp, which is steeped in misogyny and the pendulum eventually swung toward a more minimalist, more covered-up style. By 2013, Nicole Richie had gotten her lower-back tattoo removed, saying, It just means a certain thing, and I dont want to be part of that group.
But now, after a year and a half of a pandemic, the tramp stamp is being welcomed back with open arms, it seems, along with Y2K style in general. Earlier this year, Paloma Wool released a capsule collection that was an ode to lower-back tattoos of the 90s. Time to Get a Tramp Stamp, read a Jezebel headline in April of 2020. And just this past month, Collina Strada showed belts inspired by lower-back tattoos for its spring 2022 collection.
The jewelry we did this season is not only a nod to Y2K trends but also a cheeky gesture to a lot of my friends, some of whom are embracing the tattoos they got as teens, and others who are revisiting the idea now that theyre adults, designer Hillary Taymour told the Cut.
Miley Cyrus also revealed what seemed to be a fresh a lower-back tattoo this summer. I dont know what yall wanna see more, she wrote in an Instagram post. My back tat or me in concert!
Years ago, trend forecasters predicted that low-rise jeans would return in 2020, as Gen Z discovered the Y2K aesthetic for the first time, and as the siren song of unflattering pants began to wear off on millennials. But did low-rise jeans and crop tops and exposed thongs come first, and then lower back tattoos? (This is what happened in 2002, according to the Wall Street Journal.) Or was it the other way around?
I think on a surface level, theres the Y2K thing with low-rise jeans, said Phoebe Satterwhite, a 21-year-old full-time hand-poke tattoo artist living in Bushwick, who decided to get a tramp stamp earlier this year when another artist, whose lower-back work artist she admired, announced that she was visiting New York. (Shes certainly been wearing more low-rise bottoms than she was before she got the tattoo.)
But on a deeper level, its also about sexual liberation and taking back the idea that being a tramp is a bad thing, she added of the trend, pointing to the rise in 2020 of Bimbo TikTok (or BimboTok for short), an online community aimed at reclaiming the word, and celebrating hyper-femininity.
Ella Rene, 20, a student in New York who has been thinking about getting a lower-back tattoo this year, noticed that when she brought up the idea to her friends, they were a lot more accepting. I used to get weird looks, but now every time I mention it to someone, theyre like, Oh, yeah, definitely. Do that. Originally, she wanted a flaming butterfly on her lower back as an ironic joke, inspired by the influencer Mara Bernad, who got something similar in June. But the more I thought about it, Rene said, the more I was like, Wait, this is actually really cute.
The images may be the same butterflies, lotus flowers, filigree but the design of lower back tattoos today is generally much thinner and softer more flow according to both Pratt-Fusari and Phoebe, who says this aesthetic will probably age better.
In many ways, a lot has changed in the last ten years. Its generally accepted that having a tramp stamp doesnt make you a tramp but if thats what youre going for, thats cool, too. Tattoos have also become less taboo in general, and continue to grow in popularity.
Theyve become more of a fashion statement, without really the thought of the permanence of the idea, said Pratt-Fusari. Lately, hes been doing cover-ups for clients who got a tattoo maybe three months ago, as opposed to three years ago, and who just want to try something different.
Mary Anderson, who runs her own consulting agency, started working with Ephemeral, a made-to-fade tattoo parlor this year. Ive always liked the idea of a tramp stamp, she said. Im a Millennial. Im a child of that era. But it was a huge commitment. A tattoo that faded over time, however, felt like less of a risk, and she was finally able to go for it. I was like, Im going to lean into it and get the most ridiculous tramp stamp that I can get, which is a Playboy bunny. My teenage hot girl desires came full circle.
If she were to ever get it done permanently, shed get it a little higher, she said, seeing that shes not a huge fan of low-rise bottoms.
The return of low-rise jeans may have been inevitable, but what no one predicted was that 2020 would also bring a global pandemic. A year ago, Pratt-Fusari would have told you that his industry was never going to bounce back. I was convinced that no one was going to want to risk doing anything mildly dangerous, he said. Tattooing is intimate work, with bodily fluids involved.
But he was wrong. Following lockdown, not only did people want tattoos again, they also seemed to crave being something of a hot mess as well, to borrow a popular Y2K phrase. They wanted to show some skin, and celebrate their bodies, as opposed to shielding them. They wanted to take risks, within reason.
I have an urge to be more fun and experimental with my appearance in general, said Rene, who got five tattoos in the past year, after moving out of her parents house. I just care so much less about what people think because I had so much time at home alone to experiment.
Its empowering to know that we have these bodies that survived this, Pratt-Fusari concluded. And maybe we want to decorate them with some designs, whether they have to do with the pandemic, or not.
Get the Cut newsletter delivered daily
Lower-Back Tattoos Are Back - The Cut
- People magazine got it wrong with Paul Rudd. Pete Davidson is the Sexiest Man Alive - Toronto Star - November 13th, 2021
- Berber tattoos on the decline in Morocco - Africanews English - November 2nd, 2021
- Movember to kick-off 15th year of supporting men's mental health and wellbeing in Canada - AM800 (iHeartRadio) - November 2nd, 2021
- What its really like to be a Hooters Girl: Men think they can treat you a certain way - The Independent - November 2nd, 2021
- A detailed look at the dating history of Pete Davidson - The Tab - November 2nd, 2021
- Summer days at the beach, in Israel and Gaza - Ynetnews - November 2nd, 2021
- Why Are NFL Players So Obsessed With The Dark Knight? - The Ringer - November 2nd, 2021
- Torn jeans, tattoos and parental taboos J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - October 9th, 2021
- 2 Men Killed In I-80 Hit-And-Run In North Highlands; Search Still On For Driver - CBS Sacramento - October 9th, 2021
- 8 Best Places To Get A Tattoo for Both Men and Women - TheTealMango - October 9th, 2021
- Say Aye Aye for the Bay With Oakland Rapper Capolow - KQED - October 9th, 2021
- Dwayne The Rock Johnson Explains the Evolution of His Iconic Brahma Bull Tattoo - EssentiallySports - October 9th, 2021
- CHP searching for hit-and-run driver after 2 men killed in I-80 crash - KTXL FOX 40 Sacramento - October 9th, 2021
- China is cracking down on 'effeminate' men, private tutors and gaming. Here's what that tells us about Xi Jinping's vision - ABC News - September 5th, 2021
- Menopause isnt just something experienced by women its lived by men, too... - The US Sun - September 5th, 2021
- 21 Creative Leo Tattoo Ideas That Have Big Fire-Sign Energy - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- Tattoos and the Olympics - Reporter-Times - August 10th, 2021
- FBoy Island Contestant Divij Vaswani on How to Spot an FBoy and His Hopes of Being the First Indian Bachelor - Yahoo Entertainment - August 10th, 2021
- Meghan releases 40th birthday video with Melissa McCarthy - discussing tattoos, a Suits reunion and tree photo shoots - Sky News - August 10th, 2021
- 300+ Inspirational Tattoo Quotes For Men (2021) Short ... - July 26th, 2021
- Caeleb Dressel on the precipice of becoming the next Michael Phelps - Los Angeles Times - July 26th, 2021
- Hairline Tattooing and What You Need to Know - menshealth.com - July 26th, 2021
- Police find man dead in Savannah. But who is he? They need your help to find out - WJCL News - July 26th, 2021
- Manchester United's Mason Greenwood explains the thinking behind his tattoos - Manchester Evening News - July 26th, 2021
- Love Islands Abigail will have head turned in Casa Amor claims best friend as he reveals she likes OLDER... - The Sun - July 26th, 2021
- Love Is Blind: Meet 5 Kenyan Men Who Have Dated Socialite Amber Ray Kenya News - Tuko.co.ke - July 26th, 2021
- The Nottinghamshire working men's club that has been going strong for nearly 100 years - Nottinghamshire Live - July 26th, 2021
- The names and mugshots of Lancashire's FIVE most wanted men - Lancashire Telegraph - July 26th, 2021
- Viral Therapist Shows Men's 'Audacity' on Dating Apps, Including Requests to be Submissive - Newsweek - June 30th, 2021
- This BBQ Pitmaster Is Competing on Food NetworkWith a Three Percenter Tattoo - Daily Beast - June 30th, 2021
- Why Harley Quinn's Face Tattoo Is Missing In The Suicide Squad - TVOvermind - June 30th, 2021
- Men who come to this BGC salon want their brows shaped and still look 'brusko' - ANCX - June 30th, 2021
- The Tattoo Industry Is Changing and Queer-Owned Spaces Are Leading the Charge - POPSUGAR - June 30th, 2021
- Love Island fans convinced Chloe will choose Jake - as teaser clip suggests major shakeup in the villa - Bristol Live - June 30th, 2021
- The full list of all the new shows and movies coming to Netflix in July - JOE.ie - June 30th, 2021
- Kennedy Teams Up With AFL Legend Dustin Martin On Exclusive Watch Collection - DMARGE - June 13th, 2021
- Euro 2020: Gab Marcotti's players to know, cult heroes on all 24 teams - ESPN - June 13th, 2021
- 3 Things to Think About Before You Get Your First Tattoo - menshealth.com - May 8th, 2021
- Tom Dunne's Music & Me: The axe-men cometh, and they've got loads of effects pedals - Irish Examiner - May 8th, 2021
- 'Tattoos look like skin disease': The prejudice people still face and the artists fighting it - Wales Online - May 8th, 2021
- Two shoppers may have witnessed moment man, 23, was stabbed to death - Liverpool Echo - May 8th, 2021
- Wrath of Ritchie - Splice Today - May 8th, 2021
- My Teen Is About to Fall Down the Male-Power Incel Rabbit Hole - Slate - May 8th, 2021
- Scar Stories: The Toll of Colon Cancer - GQ Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Come With Us on a Journey to Explore the Post Malone Tattoo Cosmos - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021