Garrett Potts of Old Town Tattoo is hoping to provide a restored self-confidence to breast cancer survivors.
SAN ANGELO, Texas Garrett Potts is working to leave a mark on West Texas. About four years ago, the tattoo artist, San Angelo native and owner of Old Town Tattoo discovered areola restorative tattooing, a procedure designed to give women who have had mastectomies natural-looking breasts again.
Id been tattooing for about 10 years at the time, Potts said. Breezing through the internet, one day I stumbled across a guy that was doing reconstruction tattoos and it was the first time Id ever seen anything like that. So I got really excited about it, and its something thats always kind of sat on the backburner of my mind.
Unfortunately at the time, Potts didnt have a suitable location to perform the procedure without the usual stigma that comes along with tattoo shops.
Its a super-emotional experience for these women. They didnt need to be sitting on the couch with a bunch of ratty guys who want to get the year they graduated tattooed on their butts.
Then, last year when the COVID pandemic had just about everyone unsure of what the future might hold, Potts was able to secure a quaint little two-story house on Orient Street, one in which he could both work and raise his four-year-old son, Max, along with their shelter Corgi, Rex.
The opportunity came up to get this really cool place where I could separate my clientele from the people who want to get the traditional tattoos and the women that need the restorative tattoos.
The house looks more like an "Ozzie and Harriet" starter-home than a traditional anchors-and-dragons-type tattoo parlor.
This house is very inviting, you know? Theres nothing intimidating about it. Youre not gonna walk in here and get kicked in the face with heavy metal music. I try to keep it calm and relaxed. Ive got a back entrance for the survivors to come in. I try to create a private experience here.
Now that Potts has his shop/house up set up, hes eager to get the word out about what can be a life-changing procedure for breast cancer survivors, especially those who might not have ever considered walking into a tattoo shop.
One of those survivors, Janie Castanuelas, said Potts work has changed her whole self-image.
When we were texting I was like, I dont know. Im not sure about this, because I was still very hesitant to let anybody see me like that, Castanuelas said. Thats the biggest thing when youre like that, because youre not whole. When I came in, I was very self-conscious. But he just made me feel so comfortable and took care of me. He changed my life for the better. I feel whole now. Before, it was very hard to look at myself. After he was done he said, Look at yourself in the mirror, and I just broke down.
Potts said the self-improvement aspect is a two-way street.
These last couple years, everybody is going through something. If I tattoo two or three clients a week that are going through this, and hear their story, and see the change that Ive done for them, it really kind of doesnt leave a whole lot of room for depression and sadness inside of myself. So its life-changing for me, too. Ive never had anybody break down and cry over a skull tattoo I gave them. So this is cool, you know?
For the rest of October, in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Potts is offering free restorative work to four cancer survivors.
Were going to have the house lit up pink to show support, and anyone who gets ahold of me, for four women this month, Im going to provide pro bono services.
Outside of October, Potts said hes willing to negotiate with installments.
Ill work with everybody. I dont want to turn anybody away from this. Unlike traditional tattoos, which are a luxury for all of us and not a necessity, I feel like this is the complete opposite of that. I feel like this is a necessity, Potts said. "Although doing cobras and daggers and things like that are super-fun to do, this was a whole other avenue that I didnt even know tattooing could take me down. Tattooing can change peoples lives. And this is one way it can do it.
Local tattoo artist works to heal the scars of cancer - MyFoxZone.com KIDY
- Tattoos in the Workplace Are an Evolving Issue in Hawai'i - Hawaii Business Magazine - October 20th, 2021
- This 5,300-year-old mummy revealed the history behind tattoos for healing and religion - CNN - October 20th, 2021
- Megan Connolly: 'The women's game is progressing yet you still see stuff like this' - Irish Examiner - October 20th, 2021
- Woman without a country: World champion bobsledder Kaillie Humphries in Olympic limbo over abuse allegations - Stuff.co.nz - October 20th, 2021
- WOW Women of Wrestling Returns with New TV Deal, Tessa Blanchard, and AJ Mendez - ComicBook.com - October 9th, 2021
- Russian women allowed to become subway train drivers first time in 30 YEARS (PHOTOS) - Russia Beyond - October 9th, 2021
- Savannah Kondratyev helping young women find their confidence with new lip blush tattoos - CelebMix - September 5th, 2021
- Tatted in Testimonies: Growing number of Christians using ink to proclaim their faith - The Messenger - September 5th, 2021
- National pageant one of the most uplifting experiences for Natalie Levesque - TimminsToday - September 5th, 2021
- USJ unifies dress code for male and female park employees | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis - Asahi Shimbun - September 5th, 2021
- Tattoo artist who inks nipples onto breast cancer survivors perfects her craft by practising on her own legs - Surrey Live - August 24th, 2021
- News to note : Women in Afghanistan fear for their lives and futures, trouble at Times Up & more - Boss Betty - August 24th, 2021
- 35 needles, black sesame dye and a prayer for the tiger god the Baiga tribe's godna art - Gaonconnection | Your Connection with Rural India - Gaon... - August 10th, 2021
- Bikers Gather For The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally As Experts Fear A COVID Spread - NPR - August 10th, 2021
- Worlds most horrific body modification as rapper rips flesh off face to give demon smile... - The US Sun - July 26th, 2021
- Female surfers ride the wave to China's Hainan island - The Economist - July 26th, 2021
- Mary Koms Olympic ring tattoo draws attention during her first win in Tokyo - The Bridge - July 26th, 2021
- UNM Professor Precious tough in the weight room - Albuquerque Journal - July 26th, 2021
- Police Blotter: Officers Referee Aunt/Nephew Spat On 11th Street; Man In Orange Shirts Is Trash Can Overturn Suspect - The Chattanoogan - July 26th, 2021
- Japans Yuto Horigome wins first ever Olympic gold medal in skateboarding - The Guardian - July 26th, 2021
- Skateboarder Annie Guglia's whirlwind few days: From Olympic alternate to getting a spot in the women's street event - National Post - July 26th, 2021
- TV best bets with the Olympics, Jungle Cruise, Bob Costas, Behind the Music reboot - Atlanta Journal Constitution - July 26th, 2021
- Supervision considered for woman in court, jail or on bail 'nearly every day' - Stuff.co.nz - July 26th, 2021
- 109 Small Hand Tattoos for Men and Women (2020) - July 10th, 2021
- 101 Gorgeous Foot Tattoos For Women With Significant Meanings - July 10th, 2021
- Beyond Motherhood: Powerful Women in Science - Armenian Weekly - Armenian Weekly This link opens in a new - Armenian Weekly - July 10th, 2021
- My summer of love: As a practising Muslim, my soulmate checklist didnt include lapsed-Catholics covered in tattoos - The Guardian - July 10th, 2021
- The Future of Breast Cancer Surgery Is Here - OncLive - July 10th, 2021
- Story Behind the Song: Meghan Patrick, 'Mama Prayed For' - The Boot - June 30th, 2021
- BTS: When Suga was worried after Jungkook revealed he wanted a tattoo like women have on their bodies - Bollywood Life - June 30th, 2021
- Who Needs Nipples Anyway? The Impacts of Breast Cancer Surgery - Curetoday.com - June 30th, 2021
- Netflix's Fear Street and why slasher movies will never die - BBC News - June 30th, 2021
- Police reports | News, Sports, Jobs - The Daily Times - June 13th, 2021
- Tattoos: a medium of artistic expression throughout the millennia (2) - Times of Malta - May 20th, 2021
- 125 Best Thigh Tattoos For Women: Cute Design Ideas (2021 ... - April 23rd, 2021
- 155 Trendy Ankle Tattoos for Women - Wild Tattoo Art - April 23rd, 2021
- 50 Best Chest Tattoos for Women in 2021 - The Trend Spotter - April 23rd, 2021
- 25 Symbolic Japanese Tattoo Ideas (2021) - The Trend Spotter - April 23rd, 2021
- The Nipple Nurse Is In: Breast Cancer and Double Mastectomy Survivor, Middletown's Stephanie Wagner, Shares Her Personal Journey and Healing Art of... - March 9th, 2021
- 900+ Unique Tattoos for Women ideas | tattoos for women ... - March 9th, 2021
- Orono, Ont., woman competes to be on cover of Inked Magazine - Global News - March 9th, 2021
- 'We are a misunderstood place': New MP Carrie Tan on Yishun, politics and her tattoos - CNA - March 9th, 2021
- Covid: Southend beautician fined after police discover her working | Echo - Echo - February 20th, 2021
- Thanks to Rawiri Waititi, Wearing a Tie Is Now Optional in New Zealands Parliament - Teen Vogue - February 13th, 2021
- I talk about Botox as a gateway drug: the changing face of the beauty business - Sydney Morning Herald - February 13th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 13th, 2021
- Summerside, P.E.I. woman competing to be Inked Magazine cover girl - The Journal Pioneer - February 10th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Man arrested after drugging and tattooing four sex slaves with his name before forcing them into prost - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Capitol Riot Prompts A Reckoning Over Extremism In The Ranks - NPR - February 10th, 2021
- With Pastel Devil Studio, these artists are reimagining today's tattoo parlor - St. Louis Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Brisbane sex slave ring accused face court over allegations of prostitution - 7NEWS.com.au - February 6th, 2021
- ED'S DESK: Bogan Evil-Doers With Tenuous Links To Ivan Milat Thrill Court Watchers With 'Matching White Forensic Jumpsuits' And 'Forlorn Expressions'... - February 4th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 30th, 2021
- Face tattoos give Indigenous woman a chance to reclaim traditional form of self-expression - CBC.ca - January 24th, 2021
- Dustin Poiriers 27 tattoos and their meanings after getting his first aged 14 ahead of UFC fight with Conor M - The Irish Sun - January 24th, 2021
- Holly Willoughby winces in horror as UKs most tattooed woman reveals inking in intimate area on This Morni - The Sun - January 20th, 2021
- The mum looking to fully cover her body in tattoos by the time she is 40 - Lancs Live - January 20th, 2021
- Cape Cod people of color have renewed hope with Biden-Harris inauguration - Cape Cod Times - January 20th, 2021
- Why the far-right and white supremecists have embraced the Middle Ages and their symbols - The Conversation AU - January 15th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal (English) - January 9th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal.com - January 5th, 2021
- Walker's Point women-led tattoo shop spends grand opening giving away proceeds to charity - WTMJ-TV - January 5th, 2021
- Women Get Tattoos of Stefon Diggs Name on Their Bodies, But He Doesn't Claim Any of Them - BlackSportsOnline - January 5th, 2021
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - December 27th, 2020
- Tattoo artist raped vulnerable client and sexually assaulted five others - Cheshire Live - December 25th, 2020
- 'Depraved' tattoo artist raped woman and sexually assaulted five others while performing work on them - Manchester Evening News - December 23rd, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- Kalie Shorr Is as Bad as She Wants to Be In My Voice Video - Sounds Like Nashville - December 16th, 2020
- The Women Faced Off to Play Soccer. One Team Lost Because of Hair Dye. - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 10th, 2020
- Meet the new couples of '90 Day Fianc' - CNN - December 9th, 2020
- Sunday Funday Moment: Local woman-owned business celebrating 10th anniversary with virtual Loteria party. - KVIA El Paso - November 30th, 2020
- The day my Indian mother confronted me about my tattoo - SBS - November 26th, 2020
- Women and Minorities Value, Perceive, and Experience Professionalism Differently than Their Peers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- I studied 5,000 phone images: objects were more popular than people, but women took way more selfies - The Conversation AU - November 25th, 2020
- Megan Thee Stallion Reveals Why She Doesn't Have Any Tattoos - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2020
- Gassed in their cells, begging for food at Auckland Womens prison - RNZ - November 23rd, 2020
- Watch Lindsey Vonn Talk About Tattoos, Body Image, And Her Worst Injury In This 'Body Scan' Video - Women's Health - November 21st, 2020