Roger Chilton, the 46-year-old co-pastor of Matthews Table, grew up during a time when tattoos were associated with rebellion and antisocial behavior.
I strategically put it on the upper part of my arm so if I wore a T-shirt you wouldnt see it, said Chilton, recalling his first tattoo a cartoon character at age 18.
In 2006, Chilton became a Christian, which led him to faith-based tattoos that he considers visual expressions that represent my passion for Jesus that I choose to put on my body.
Chilton, whose most recognizable tattoo is of the Last Supper on his right forearm, said 80% of his tattoos have come since becoming a Christian.
Over the years, I decided that tattoos could tell my story and provoke conversations in the community and with people who werent Christians simply by asking me about my tattoo, Chilton said. And that would create conversations where I could testify to them.
Although the art of tattooing has been around since Biblical times, its the Old Testaments Book of Leviticus 19:28 that reads, Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord, that is often cited to condemn those who have inked any parts of their body.
Jordan Wilson, a 33-year-old youth pastor for His Church, estimates that 25% of his body is covered with tattoos.
Wilson said Leviticus 19:28 is often quoted out of context, especially when the verse before it forbids the trimming of sideburns and beards.
Back then, people were tattooing themselves for their pagan gods and that scripture was talking to a certain people, certain priests to not tattoo for pagan gods, Wilson said.
Chilton and Wilson, along with fellow Christians Cody Cantrell and Tyler Robbins, are a growing number of believers who use ink to proclaim their faith while also using it to share the Gospel to anyone who questions a tattoos meaning or the artwork itself.
Wilson said most of his tattoos are faith-based or tell a story about his spiritual walk.
For example, Wilson has five tally marks on one of his forearms, which represent every year since becoming sober and a follower of Christ.
A lot of times people will say, I like your tattoos, and that gives me an opportunity to say, Thanks. Its about Jesus. And that will spark a conversation, Wilson said. And other people will ask, What does that mean? and that will give me a wide-open opportunity to witness to that person.
Cantrell, 34, was raised by an old-fashioned mother who steered him away from thinking tattoos were OK.
I remember saying that I would never have a tattoo and if I did it would never be visible, Cantrell said. And now, I have a whole sleeve.
And every tattoo contained within the sleeve on his right arm, Cantrell said, is symbolic of his spirituality and claims Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior.
Among Cantrells tattoos are Jesus pierced hands holding a dove and the words Thy will be done that represent his spiritual journey.
Cantrell said he has one tattoo that simply says redeemed, which frequently draws attention and questions.
Theyll say, What does that mean to you? and Ill say, I was dead; maybe not physically dead, but I was dead on the inside, and when God redeemed me I wanted something to represent that. I dare say it holds me accountable in a way. I have these tattoos, and its something to uphold.
Robbins, 32, came from a conservative Baptist family who viewed tattooing as out of character for a Christian.
Its always your body is a temple and a tattoo might be a slight against God, Robbins said.
Robbins said it took coming out of addiction and becoming a true Christian that changed his view about believers and tattoos.
For example, Robbins has the words empty tomb written in Hebrew on one of his biceps.
Its an expression of love I have toward Christ, Robbins said. Its a way I can glorify God.
As tattoos have become more sociably acceptable, there is the expense that varies and that can run into hundreds of dollars depending on size and how elaborate the design is.
As a church pastor, Chilton said he understands why someone might question spending money on a tattoo.
Men and women 20 years older than me would probably talk more about stewardship steward your finances or your attention toward things that would be better used. I get that. But those same people have WaveRunners and summer homes. So how you spend your money is the only thing that gets questioned has been my experience.
And despite tattoos becoming more of the norm even within the church, Chilton said there will always be those who will judge a person by his or her appearance alone.
Unfortunately, people still do view and judge someone with tattoos, but some of the greatest people Ive ever met and know are covered head to toe in tattoos, Chilton said. Hopefully, tattoos being more acceptable is a sign of the times that we as a society are realizing its not whats on the outside but whats in the inside that really matters.
Go here to see the original:
Tatted in Testimonies: Growing number of Christians using ink to proclaim their faith - The Messenger
- Savannah Kondratyev helping young women find their confidence with new lip blush tattoos - CelebMix - September 5th, 2021
- National pageant one of the most uplifting experiences for Natalie Levesque - TimminsToday - September 5th, 2021
- USJ unifies dress code for male and female park employees | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis - Asahi Shimbun - September 5th, 2021
- Tattoo artist who inks nipples onto breast cancer survivors perfects her craft by practising on her own legs - Surrey Live - August 24th, 2021
- News to note : Women in Afghanistan fear for their lives and futures, trouble at Times Up & more - Boss Betty - August 24th, 2021
- 35 needles, black sesame dye and a prayer for the tiger god the Baiga tribe's godna art - Gaonconnection | Your Connection with Rural India - Gaon... - August 10th, 2021
- Bikers Gather For The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally As Experts Fear A COVID Spread - NPR - August 10th, 2021
- Worlds most horrific body modification as rapper rips flesh off face to give demon smile... - The US Sun - July 26th, 2021
- Female surfers ride the wave to China's Hainan island - The Economist - July 26th, 2021
- Mary Koms Olympic ring tattoo draws attention during her first win in Tokyo - The Bridge - July 26th, 2021
- UNM Professor Precious tough in the weight room - Albuquerque Journal - July 26th, 2021
- Police Blotter: Officers Referee Aunt/Nephew Spat On 11th Street; Man In Orange Shirts Is Trash Can Overturn Suspect - The Chattanoogan - July 26th, 2021
- Japans Yuto Horigome wins first ever Olympic gold medal in skateboarding - The Guardian - July 26th, 2021
- Skateboarder Annie Guglia's whirlwind few days: From Olympic alternate to getting a spot in the women's street event - National Post - July 26th, 2021
- TV best bets with the Olympics, Jungle Cruise, Bob Costas, Behind the Music reboot - Atlanta Journal Constitution - July 26th, 2021
- Supervision considered for woman in court, jail or on bail 'nearly every day' - Stuff.co.nz - July 26th, 2021
- 109 Small Hand Tattoos for Men and Women (2020) - July 10th, 2021
- 101 Gorgeous Foot Tattoos For Women With Significant Meanings - July 10th, 2021
- Beyond Motherhood: Powerful Women in Science - Armenian Weekly - Armenian Weekly This link opens in a new - Armenian Weekly - July 10th, 2021
- My summer of love: As a practising Muslim, my soulmate checklist didnt include lapsed-Catholics covered in tattoos - The Guardian - July 10th, 2021
- The Future of Breast Cancer Surgery Is Here - OncLive - July 10th, 2021
- Story Behind the Song: Meghan Patrick, 'Mama Prayed For' - The Boot - June 30th, 2021
- BTS: When Suga was worried after Jungkook revealed he wanted a tattoo like women have on their bodies - Bollywood Life - June 30th, 2021
- Who Needs Nipples Anyway? The Impacts of Breast Cancer Surgery - Curetoday.com - June 30th, 2021
- Netflix's Fear Street and why slasher movies will never die - BBC News - June 30th, 2021
- Police reports | News, Sports, Jobs - The Daily Times - June 13th, 2021
- Tattoos: a medium of artistic expression throughout the millennia (2) - Times of Malta - May 20th, 2021
- 125 Best Thigh Tattoos For Women: Cute Design Ideas (2021 ... - April 23rd, 2021
- 155 Trendy Ankle Tattoos for Women - Wild Tattoo Art - April 23rd, 2021
- 50 Best Chest Tattoos for Women in 2021 - The Trend Spotter - April 23rd, 2021
- 25 Symbolic Japanese Tattoo Ideas (2021) - The Trend Spotter - April 23rd, 2021
- The Nipple Nurse Is In: Breast Cancer and Double Mastectomy Survivor, Middletown's Stephanie Wagner, Shares Her Personal Journey and Healing Art of... - March 9th, 2021
- 900+ Unique Tattoos for Women ideas | tattoos for women ... - March 9th, 2021
- Orono, Ont., woman competes to be on cover of Inked Magazine - Global News - March 9th, 2021
- 'We are a misunderstood place': New MP Carrie Tan on Yishun, politics and her tattoos - CNA - March 9th, 2021
- Covid: Southend beautician fined after police discover her working | Echo - Echo - February 20th, 2021
- Thanks to Rawiri Waititi, Wearing a Tie Is Now Optional in New Zealands Parliament - Teen Vogue - February 13th, 2021
- I talk about Botox as a gateway drug: the changing face of the beauty business - Sydney Morning Herald - February 13th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 13th, 2021
- Summerside, P.E.I. woman competing to be Inked Magazine cover girl - The Journal Pioneer - February 10th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Man arrested after drugging and tattooing four sex slaves with his name before forcing them into prost - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Capitol Riot Prompts A Reckoning Over Extremism In The Ranks - NPR - February 10th, 2021
- With Pastel Devil Studio, these artists are reimagining today's tattoo parlor - St. Louis Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Brisbane sex slave ring accused face court over allegations of prostitution - 7NEWS.com.au - February 6th, 2021
- ED'S DESK: Bogan Evil-Doers With Tenuous Links To Ivan Milat Thrill Court Watchers With 'Matching White Forensic Jumpsuits' And 'Forlorn Expressions'... - February 4th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 30th, 2021
- Face tattoos give Indigenous woman a chance to reclaim traditional form of self-expression - CBC.ca - January 24th, 2021
- Dustin Poiriers 27 tattoos and their meanings after getting his first aged 14 ahead of UFC fight with Conor M - The Irish Sun - January 24th, 2021
- Holly Willoughby winces in horror as UKs most tattooed woman reveals inking in intimate area on This Morni - The Sun - January 20th, 2021
- The mum looking to fully cover her body in tattoos by the time she is 40 - Lancs Live - January 20th, 2021
- Cape Cod people of color have renewed hope with Biden-Harris inauguration - Cape Cod Times - January 20th, 2021
- Why the far-right and white supremecists have embraced the Middle Ages and their symbols - The Conversation AU - January 15th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal (English) - January 9th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal.com - January 5th, 2021
- Walker's Point women-led tattoo shop spends grand opening giving away proceeds to charity - WTMJ-TV - January 5th, 2021
- Women Get Tattoos of Stefon Diggs Name on Their Bodies, But He Doesn't Claim Any of Them - BlackSportsOnline - January 5th, 2021
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - December 27th, 2020
- Tattoo artist raped vulnerable client and sexually assaulted five others - Cheshire Live - December 25th, 2020
- 'Depraved' tattoo artist raped woman and sexually assaulted five others while performing work on them - Manchester Evening News - December 23rd, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- Kalie Shorr Is as Bad as She Wants to Be In My Voice Video - Sounds Like Nashville - December 16th, 2020
- The Women Faced Off to Play Soccer. One Team Lost Because of Hair Dye. - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 10th, 2020
- Meet the new couples of '90 Day Fianc' - CNN - December 9th, 2020
- Sunday Funday Moment: Local woman-owned business celebrating 10th anniversary with virtual Loteria party. - KVIA El Paso - November 30th, 2020
- The day my Indian mother confronted me about my tattoo - SBS - November 26th, 2020
- Women and Minorities Value, Perceive, and Experience Professionalism Differently than Their Peers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- I studied 5,000 phone images: objects were more popular than people, but women took way more selfies - The Conversation AU - November 25th, 2020
- Megan Thee Stallion Reveals Why She Doesn't Have Any Tattoos - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2020
- Gassed in their cells, begging for food at Auckland Womens prison - RNZ - November 23rd, 2020
- Watch Lindsey Vonn Talk About Tattoos, Body Image, And Her Worst Injury In This 'Body Scan' Video - Women's Health - November 21st, 2020
- Pike River Mine: The women still bonded by tragedy a decade on - Newshub - November 18th, 2020
- OPINION: Tattoos are a way to express creativity - The Daily Evergreen - November 12th, 2020
- Fox Maxy discusses land and Indigenous people in his films - Daily Northwestern - November 12th, 2020
- Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. says to reach out to hear veterans stories at Madison County, NY Veterans Day ceremony - Utica Observer Dispatch - November 12th, 2020
- 50 Best Hand Tattoos For Women - Inspiration From Rihanna To Cara - elle.com - November 12th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 8th, 2020
- Meet the Artist Behind the Lighting Bolt Design That Has Become the Symbol of Womens Rights in an Increasingly Oppressive Poland - artnet News - November 5th, 2020