MEN, dont turn away. Listen up. Ive got something for you.
Look, I know you must be bored to tears with us older birds droning on about the sodding menopause.
This week must have suffocated you.
Loads of celebs waving the menopause flag and bringing out books about how to beat it, battle it, embrace it and rile against it.
Its like there is some kind of movement or uprising brewing.
It must be quite unnerving.
And Im wondering where this puts you guys. How it affects you.
It must be nearly as bewildering for you to go through the female menopause, living it vicariously through the woman you love, as it is for us living with it.
I reckon youll be feeling confused and marginalised.
I feel partly to blame.
I kicked off one of the early discussions about this ghastly time of a womans life when, yuck, periods stop and we basically become barren.
Thats what the word means, after all a pause in the monthly you-know-whats.
But just as I documented how I thought I had early-onset dementia at 46 how I became forgetful, anxious and (more) irritable, had brain fog and struggled to sleep when it was all just the onset of The Change I realise I had made it all about me.
Granted, it was happening to me but it was also happening to my now ex-husband.
I wasnt terribly good at talking to him about it because I didnt have a clue what was going on.
I was terrified, so I kept it to myself.
Im presuming all he saw was his wife changing from a bubbly, organised, funny, generally good egg into a monster of irrationality, heap of exhaustion and moaning old Minnie.
All the while, I hated myself for who I had become and if you hate yourself its hard to love anyone else.
We women may experience these horrendous symptoms, which can be so extreme they incapacitate us, alienate us from loved ones and make us as prickly as a cactus.
But for you blokes it must feel disconcerting.
It may be a clich that men are rubbish at expressing themselves but even the bravest, most emotionally intelligent man might struggle when it comes to dealing with this situation.
I bet many of you are wondering what the hell happened to your wife or partner. Where did she go?
I have every sympathy.
There is every chance you might be experiencing the male menopause around the same time the andropause.
You might also be suffering mood swings, irritability, difficulty sleeping, lower sex drive and erectile dysfunction.
Yet weve kind of forgotten about you.
Were so focused on wading through the molasses that is our menopause, trying to reclaim ourselves, we are leaving you on the sidelines feeling ignored and excluded.
Many of you might not want to get involved. I get that. But its important you do, to have your voice heard.
When my symptoms started, I didnt know what was going on.
My now-ex has a good heart and the patience of a saint but just kept out of my way.
I felt I was drowning and his disengagement made me question why he wasnt throwing me a lifebuoy
When he was diagnosed with gout many years ago, I googled remedies. I wanted to make his suffering less.
Yet what was happening to me was considered such a normal part of a womans journey its not an illness, after all that I felt he just left me to it. I felt really alone.
But for him it must have been terrifying to see me morph into this crazy, hitherto unknown version of me.
Id never really looked at it that way until now when Im settled on HRT and my mood swings, brain fog and exhaustion have largely passed.
Im still irrational, obvs.
Thats what makes me such an amazing member of the female race, right?
Youd be confused if we werent a bit bonkers and a bit ridiculous.
We like to keep that aspect of ourselves so you remember who we really are.
Joking aside, I hope we women do a better job of bringing you guys into the fold.
We want to hear your voices.
We want you to talk about it with us or with your mates down the pub over a packet of pork scratchings.
Menopause isnt just something experienced by women. Its lived by men, too.
Us old birds need to remember that.
YOU know Im not body-shy.
Ive even inadvertently exposed a bit of nipple on my Insta without intending to Im just a sloppy photographer with a lack of attention to detail.
As far as Im concerned, a nipple is a nipple.
Both men and women have them.
But on social media they are an outrage and an exception.
If you have a nip-slip youll have your knuckles rapped, get a warning or have your pic taken down if you so much as give a glimpse of an areola.
I get how it potentially will sexualise or provoke or entice, and the aim is to protect younger people.
But huge, humble respect to all the wonderful medical tattooists who took to dressing themselves up as giant nipples to protest outside Facebook HQ against its ban of their online nipple images.
Im a huge fan of tattoos, as you probably know, but the work these guys do by inking nipples on to cancer survivors post-surgery is just beautiful.
It must be a sanity saver for many of those patients.
It takes extraordinary skill to create these inkings and the point of the artists putting the images on Facebook is not to titillate or provoke but merely to show cancer sufferers and survivors what is possible after surgery.
I champion them and hope the censorship of nipples, at least in this context, is halted and the tattoos are regarded for what they are.
ABBA getting back together in a virtual, new-world way makes my heart swell.
As a child who grew up in Sweden, I vividly recall them winning the Eurovision song Contest in Brighton in 1974 I was seven and was over-whelmed.
It was like watching magic happen before my eyes.
Of course, I was in love with Anni-Frid (or Frida) because she had long, brown hair, which was far more appealing than the blonde hair that covered every other womans and girls head in Sweden.
The fact they were two married couples only added to their allure.
I didnt understand all their lyrics in English, of course, but much of their early stuff was in Swedish and they became part of my identity and the identity of my proud country.
At some stage maybe the Nineties or Noughties Abba became a bit of a joke in England.
It was embarrassing to admit you liked them and had their records at a time when music had moved on so much.
But I was always proud.
Anyone who tittered at the thought of an Abba tune was simply lying to themselves, in my opinion.
The band have never, ever died in my heart, in my head or on the dance floor.
True icons. The songwriting and lyrics are second to none.
Reflecting on their words as an adult made me truly appreciate the depths of their emotion and talent.
I couldnt be happier that they have new music out theyre clearly not done yet.
But I also worry that it wont measure up to my memories and all those theme tunes that have accompanied my life.
If I know anything about Benny and Bjorn, though, I know their standards are ridiculously high and to them, and me, age is just a number.
Welcome back. My heroes.
IT is perhaps a rarity for people to jump to the defence of MP Michael Gove so he had better enjoy it while it lasts.
The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster was seen grooving to techno music in an Aberdeen nightclub at the weekend.
His shapes could only be described as a bloke on weed drowning very slowly in a vat of ignorant bliss.
It reminded me of the time BoJo took me to Ministry Of Sound it was a Christmas party for his newspaper at the time so I could teach him to dance.
Again, it was a vision of a middle-aged man experiencing some kind of medical emergency.
But he owned the dancefloor, did our now-PM.
Goves dancing immediately led to a debate about whether the over-40s deserve a place on the dancefloor or should, according to 22-year-old singer Tallia Storm, be banned from clubs.
Playful as that idea might seem, I take offence.
Im the same age as Gove, at 54, and nothing apart from my dog and rum brings me as much pleasure as dancing.
It may be that, like the minister, Im uncoordinated, have reluctant hips and unwilling limbs.
It may be that, much as I try, I cannot for love nor money follow any kind of dance routine and am castigated by the Ungratefuls for being so useless.
It may be that I will never feature on TikTok and never win any award for shaking my booty.
But moving to music is one of lifes gifts.
I look at dancers with admiration and watch Strictly with dedication, as it brings me delight and satisfaction in equal measure.
Perhaps because Im so rubbish at dancing.
Having said that, with rum running through my veins, I am the greatest.
I regularly have dance nights at home, when I throw caution to the wind and attempt to represent songs and lyrics through the motions of my body.
And all I hear from my peers is how much they miss going dancing.
See the rest here:
Menopause isnt just something experienced by women its lived by men, too... - The US Sun
- China is cracking down on 'effeminate' men, private tutors and gaming. Here's what that tells us about Xi Jinping's vision - ABC News - September 5th, 2021
- 21 Creative Leo Tattoo Ideas That Have Big Fire-Sign Energy - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- Tattoos and the Olympics - Reporter-Times - August 10th, 2021
- FBoy Island Contestant Divij Vaswani on How to Spot an FBoy and His Hopes of Being the First Indian Bachelor - Yahoo Entertainment - August 10th, 2021
- Meghan releases 40th birthday video with Melissa McCarthy - discussing tattoos, a Suits reunion and tree photo shoots - Sky News - August 10th, 2021
- 300+ Inspirational Tattoo Quotes For Men (2021) Short ... - July 26th, 2021
- Caeleb Dressel on the precipice of becoming the next Michael Phelps - Los Angeles Times - July 26th, 2021
- Hairline Tattooing and What You Need to Know - menshealth.com - July 26th, 2021
- Police find man dead in Savannah. But who is he? They need your help to find out - WJCL News - July 26th, 2021
- Manchester United's Mason Greenwood explains the thinking behind his tattoos - Manchester Evening News - July 26th, 2021
- Love Islands Abigail will have head turned in Casa Amor claims best friend as he reveals she likes OLDER... - The Sun - July 26th, 2021
- Love Is Blind: Meet 5 Kenyan Men Who Have Dated Socialite Amber Ray Kenya News - Tuko.co.ke - July 26th, 2021
- The Nottinghamshire working men's club that has been going strong for nearly 100 years - Nottinghamshire Live - July 26th, 2021
- The names and mugshots of Lancashire's FIVE most wanted men - Lancashire Telegraph - July 26th, 2021
- Viral Therapist Shows Men's 'Audacity' on Dating Apps, Including Requests to be Submissive - Newsweek - June 30th, 2021
- This BBQ Pitmaster Is Competing on Food NetworkWith a Three Percenter Tattoo - Daily Beast - June 30th, 2021
- Why Harley Quinn's Face Tattoo Is Missing In The Suicide Squad - TVOvermind - June 30th, 2021
- Men who come to this BGC salon want their brows shaped and still look 'brusko' - ANCX - June 30th, 2021
- The Tattoo Industry Is Changing and Queer-Owned Spaces Are Leading the Charge - POPSUGAR - June 30th, 2021
- Love Island fans convinced Chloe will choose Jake - as teaser clip suggests major shakeup in the villa - Bristol Live - June 30th, 2021
- The full list of all the new shows and movies coming to Netflix in July - JOE.ie - June 30th, 2021
- Kennedy Teams Up With AFL Legend Dustin Martin On Exclusive Watch Collection - DMARGE - June 13th, 2021
- Euro 2020: Gab Marcotti's players to know, cult heroes on all 24 teams - ESPN - June 13th, 2021
- 3 Things to Think About Before You Get Your First Tattoo - menshealth.com - May 8th, 2021
- Tom Dunne's Music & Me: The axe-men cometh, and they've got loads of effects pedals - Irish Examiner - May 8th, 2021
- 'Tattoos look like skin disease': The prejudice people still face and the artists fighting it - Wales Online - May 8th, 2021
- Two shoppers may have witnessed moment man, 23, was stabbed to death - Liverpool Echo - May 8th, 2021
- Wrath of Ritchie - Splice Today - May 8th, 2021
- My Teen Is About to Fall Down the Male-Power Incel Rabbit Hole - Slate - May 8th, 2021
- Scar Stories: The Toll of Colon Cancer - GQ Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Come With Us on a Journey to Explore the Post Malone Tattoo Cosmos - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021
- WWE news: The Rock's incredible 30-year body transformation - GIVEMESPORT - February 6th, 2021
- Man Robbed Restaurant That Refused To Serve Him For Not Wearing A Mask | KFI AM 640 - KFI AM 640 - February 6th, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc: Rebecca's Husband Zied Before & After Weight Loss Transformation - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Amber Heard Reacts To Marilyn Manson Allegations, Connects Them To Johnny Depp - PerezHilton.com - February 6th, 2021
- Hall of boyfriends: All the men Jeffree Star trapped into a relationship Film Daily - Film Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Dispatches: Now Is the Perfect Time To Visit Tahiti - Men's Journal - February 2nd, 2021
- Post Malone's 'Imperial' Haircut Is The Hottest Men's Grooming Trend Right Now - DMARGE - February 2nd, 2021
- You Shall Not Pass: Fandom & The Gatekeeping of Femme Fans - Fandom Spotlite - February 2nd, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Man accused of beating and shooting shopper who bumped into him - wreg.com - January 31st, 2021
- Broken Justice: How Spokane County officials threw an innocent man behind bars and allowed the real killer to go free - Pacific Northwest Inlander - January 30th, 2021
- Is Alev Aydin Halsey's Baby Daddy? What You Need To Know About The Writer-Producer - OK! - January 30th, 2021
- A Home Heating Crisis. A Devastating Forest Fire Waiting to Happen. One Innovative Solution. - Slate - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021