Congress wants to know if tattoos and piercings are keeping too many potential recruits out of the military.
On Wednesday, during debate over the annual defense authorization bill draft, members of the House Armed Services Committee unanimously approved language which would mandate a new report on whether tattoos and body modification for potential enlistees have become a deterrent to meeting recruitment goals.
The research, which would be due in March 2022, would include the exact number of potential enlistees per year that are denied access to the military due to tattoos and body modifications and comparison of military rules to private-sector policies.
The measure passed without opposition. It still has to survive negotiations with the Senate later this year before it becomes law.
But the move recognizes changing cultural norms and emerging demographics of the country, and the challenges that presents to recruiters, according to committee members.
A 2015 Harris poll found that about half of millennials (born between 1980 and 1995) have at least one tattoo, and at least a third of all Americans have gotten one.
Rules regarding tattoos or piercings vary from service to service, but most prohibit offensive imagery or tattoos on the face, upper neck and hands.
Military officials have noted in recent years that recruiting has gotten more progressively difficult. Defense Department studies have shown that up to 70 percent of Americans between 17 and 24 are ineligible for military service due to obesity, mental-health issues, past drug use, or insufficient education.
Pentagon officials have also pushed to expand their pool of recruits from non-traditional sources as they try to attract individuals with high-tech skills for cyber operations.
The committees language also asks the military to consider the benefits of offering tattoo removal as an incentive to meet recruitment goals.
The provision is one of hundreds of policy issues including a 2.7 percent pay raise for troops in the annual authorization bill draft, which is expected to come up for a full House chamber vote in the next few weeks.
Leo covers Congress, Veterans Affairs and the White House for Military Times. He has covered Washington, D.C. since 2004, focusing on military personnel and veterans policies. His work has earned numerous honors, including a 2009 Polk award, a 2010 National Headliner Award, the IAVA Leadership in Journalism award and the VFW News Media award.
Here is the original post:
Can the military boost recruitment by allowing more tattoos? - Military Times
- The White Pages - The Post - August 24th, 2021
- The Cast Of Sex Education And Never Have I Ever Play UK vs US Slang - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - August 10th, 2021
- Summer reading 2021 - Times Higher Education (THE) - July 26th, 2021
- Reader rejects image of Killeen portrayed by Vanity Fair article - The Killeen Daily Herald - July 26th, 2021
- An Art Collective & Community Hub Opening in Brooksville - Hernando Sun - July 10th, 2021
- Two volunteers for India Waltons mayoral campaign promised to get a Chiavettas tattoo if they raised $750 for the campaign Heres what happened -... - June 13th, 2021
- Prep Rally: Harvard-Westlake's Kiki Iriafen and Alyssa Thompson put on a show - Los Angeles Times - June 1st, 2021
- Oklahoma tribal lawmakers, others share perspectives on being Indigenous in 2021 - Oklahoman.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Black Americans flock to gun stores and clubs: 'I needed to protect myself' - The Guardian - April 5th, 2021
- Palm Beach County Teacher of the Year brings together lessons of Holocaust, racism - Palm Beach Post - April 5th, 2021
- Suzanne Nicastro: Its Time to Tell the Truth about Public School Closures - Noozhawk - February 17th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the process of becoming a tattoo artist - Argonaut - February 13th, 2021
- Welcome to the Gross Room - INKED - February 13th, 2021
- Walter Suza: A city along the Mississippi seeks to defeat hate - Ames Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- Best of Jackson 2021: Community and Culture - Jackson Free Press - February 4th, 2021
- Eat my fear: Australian of the Year Grace Tame on surviving child sex abuse - Sydney Morning Herald - January 25th, 2021
- HIPAA Certification Online: Why Is It Worth It? - South Florida Caribbean News - January 24th, 2021
- State Is 'Battered, Not Broken' Kemp Says In State Of The State | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - January 15th, 2021
- Skin in the game: why getting a tattoo helped me achieve my goals - The Guardian - January 5th, 2021
- 20 touching photos from the Flint area in 2020 - MLive.com - December 28th, 2020
- What are the 'Tier 4' restrictions and will Harrogate be hit with tougher New Year Covid regulations? - Harrogate Advertiser - December 28th, 2020
- WHAT YOU CAN AND CANNOT DO FROM TODAY UNDER TIER 3 RESTRICTIONS - Island Echo - December 27th, 2020
- Tier 4 rules in full for Sussex: Heres what you can and cant do - Hastings Observer - December 27th, 2020
- Fusing the Flavors of the World - INKED - December 25th, 2020
- University of East Anglia, UK announces Sonny Mehta India Scholarship for budding Indian writers - India Education Diary - December 16th, 2020
- This 75-year-old from Madurai has preserved memories of the Dravidian movement - The News Minute - December 13th, 2020
- Tattoo training, online course - TattooTechniques.com - December 7th, 2020
- Licensed Tattoo Artist: Job Description and Education ... - December 7th, 2020
- Fun and Games this Holiday Season -- Gift Giving for Kids! - WISHTV.com - December 7th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Through Positive Eyes: living with HIV and Aids - a photo essay - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- DepEd admits error in a module that says people with tattoo are criminals - Manila Bulletin - November 20th, 2020
- The Japanese Pilgrimage Where Horimono Tattoos Are Revered - VICE - November 18th, 2020
- Educator of the Week: Jeff Bergman - Racine County Eye - November 18th, 2020
- Jacob Free: 5 things to know about the Troy University football quarterback - Montgomery Advertiser - November 18th, 2020
- Even as traditional globalisation has slowed, a new kind has sped up - The Economist - November 5th, 2020
- California voters reject affirmative action ballot measure - Education Week - November 5th, 2020
- Morality, legality and tattoos - koreatimes - October 31st, 2020
- Europes Locked Down, but Schools Are Open - The New York Times - October 31st, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 31st, 2020
- Tier 4 lockdown: what would the rules be, and what UK areas could be affected? - The Telegraph - October 31st, 2020
- What can we do as the county stays in the purple tier? - Sonoma West - October 28th, 2020
- Post Covid-19 Impact on Smart Tattoo Market Share Forecast by Application 2020 Analysis and Forecasts to 2027- MOTOROLA CORPORATION, Google Inc, and... - October 28th, 2020
- Simulation Learning Market Set to Register robust CAGR During 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 28th, 2020
- Four in the running for 4th Senate seat - Journal Inquirer - October 24th, 2020
- Backlog of Test Results Is Reason for Todays Large Number of Reported COVID-19 Infections - WEHOville - October 24th, 2020
- Study outlines the link between tattoos and damage to sweat glands - News-Medical.net - October 21st, 2020
- QAnon-linked Save the Children movement is derailing local anti-trafficking organizations - The Arizona Republic - October 19th, 2020
- CURE's Inaugural Lung Cancer Heroes Program Honors Several Individuals Who Have Dedicated Their Lives and Careers to Improving Care for Patients -... - October 17th, 2020
- Herald building tenants raise fortunes of downtown area - tricitiesbusinessnews.com - October 16th, 2020
- V,I, Council on the Arts celebrated Arts and Humanities Month - Virgin Islands Daily News - October 9th, 2020
- Family of late Holy Cross rower Grace Rett speaks out, working to build a gym in her honor - Boston Herald - October 8th, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Jordan Hunt, Cornell University (Johnson) - Poets&Quants - October 8th, 2020
- Benjamin Keough Is Laid To Rest Next To His Grandfather Elvis At Graceland - - The Tech Education - October 4th, 2020
- IN CASE YOU MISSED ITSchedule of Reuters features from this week - Reuters - October 4th, 2020
- Anderson Luna Is Here To Make Tattooing Accessible To Other People Of Color - HuffPost - September 30th, 2020
- Heavily tattooed school teacher risks losing his job because of his appearance - Myjoyonline.com - September 25th, 2020
- A World to Be Discovered: Deaf artists of Omaha - Gateway - The Gateway - September 22nd, 2020
- People are getting coronavirus-themed tattoos of masks, toilet paper - Insider - INSIDER - September 20th, 2020
- Andrea Bolender Outlines Goals Of The Holocaust Memorial And Tolerance Center - Great Neck Record - September 18th, 2020
- Megan Connolly's winding career path a lesson in trust and faith - both on and off the field - Independent.ie - September 16th, 2020
- In Illinois, new survey finds 15% of millennials, Generation Z believe the Holocaust is a myth and did not h - Chicago Sun-Times - September 16th, 2020
- A look at how Trump's pointed rhetoric binds him to his tribe and it to him - Harvard Gazette - September 16th, 2020
- Creating Community: 7 Ground Floor Artists on the Art Scene in Birmingham - Bham Now - September 12th, 2020
- Portrait artist Akeem Hartman is one to watch - Stabroek News - September 12th, 2020
- The Black Lives Matter Movement Will Change the Future of Tattooing - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 11th, 2020
- Conroe man hit with huge 60-year sentence - Woodlands Online - September 9th, 2020
- County of Orange moves to Red Tier, re-opens more of Orange County - Orange County Breeze - September 9th, 2020
- Tattoo Source: Social application for tattoo artists is planning to makes waves in the industry worldwide - Press Release - Digital Journal - September 7th, 2020
- Schalmont teacher going online to find '5 Minute Mentors' - The Daily Gazette - September 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Equipments Market Sets the Table for Continued Growth | Sabre, FK Irons, EZ Tattoo Supply, Kingpin Tattoo Supply - Bulletin Line - September 4th, 2020
- QuickBooks 101 Business Education Webinar on September 22 Open to All - PR Web - September 4th, 2020
- Education - atomictattoos.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Tattoo School | Tattoo Apprenticeships - Body Art & Soul ... - September 2nd, 2020
- Education - Virginia Arts Festival - September 2nd, 2020
- Learn How to Tattoo: Schools and Courses - September 2nd, 2020
- They came for us in the morning: What prison officials don't want you to know about the raid on 200+ incarcerated Black people at Soledad - San... - September 2nd, 2020
- Released from San Quentin, Rebuilding Their Lives - KQED - August 30th, 2020
- BTS: Jimin and his boat cap come to our rescue on this gloomy Thursday; Jiminie's '13' tattoo makes appearance - PINKVILLA - August 30th, 2020