Its been almost a year since downtown Pittsburgh Pride celebrations were cancelled due to COVID-19 and the dissolution of the group that had long organized it. Celebrations are back this year, and the two major celebrations are being led by Black transgender advocacy groups.
Downtown Pride celebrations
Next weekend kicks off Pittsburgh Pride Revolution, with a mix of virtual and in-person events. Beginning at noon on Saturday, June 5, there will be a march from downtown to Allegheny Commons Park on the North Side. Dena Stanley, CEO of Trans YOUniting, said she wants to channel Stonewall throughout this years celebrations.
We want to bring it back to the beginning, Stanley said. Instead of being more of a parade-type setting, its going to be more of a march.
COVID-19 safety protocols will be in place for the Saturday event from noon - 6 p.m. Throughout the day, vendors will be set up around Lake Elizabeth, and local artists will perform.
We'll just be out there having a good time and celebrating us for the first time in 13 months, Stanley said.
Other events include a virtual showing of teen short films, a drag queen story time and International Whores Day with Sex Workers Outreach Pittsburgh.
Peoples Pride returns for the fourth year
Peoples Pride, put on by SisTers PGH, will take place virtually beginning June 18. Founder Ciora Thomas said organizers wanted to emphasize safety again this year, moving the events to an online space where participants can create their own avatars and communicate with others in the community.
Its an innovative, futuristic, virtual space, Thomas said. We started for the people, not for capital gain, not for money, not for anything of the sort, but to make sure that people were supported and safe.
In its fourth year, Thomas said Peoples Pride developed in opposition to the former Delta-led Pride events. The non-profit had long been criticized for allegedly prioritizing corporate money over the needs of the queer community. The group disbanded in August of 2020 following an internal audit of its finances.
Now that Delta is dissolved, were all in a space of [thinking] Whats going to happen? Ciora said. I think what can happen with Pittsburgh Pride is that we continue moving forward and building community around it.
Local and national artists will perform on the virtual platform, and SisTers PGH will be sending out self-care packages to folks who sign up on their website. Theyre also working with local libraries to ensure interested people have access to the internet.
Millvale to hold its first Pride
The inaugural Pride Millvale will take place in the boroughs downtown. Organizer Patty Sorg says the event will highlight the safe spaces and faces in their community. After a year of isolation, Sorg says neighbors and businesses have been telling her they're excited to participate.
"We're going to celebrate the LGBTQ community and celebrate everyone," Sorg said. "And we're going to show how accepting Millvale is, and how diverse."
The free events will include educational sessions about the LGBTQ community, resource guides, drag queen Bingo, and kids' crafts. Several health care groups will also be available for HIV and Hepatitis C testing, as well as an artisan fair. Sorg says participating businesses will be hanging a Pride flag outside.
"The response has been insane in the best way possible," Sorg said. "I've had such positivity, support and acceptance."
Millvale Pride will be at noon on June 26.
Where else to celebrate Pride
The Washington County Gay Straight Alliance is setting up at Washington Park for their Gayer than a Picnic Basket event on Sunday, May 30 beginning at noon.
It's going to be a super fun blast, said Tyler Bogden, co-chair of the groups Pride celebrations. People are extremely thankful just to have something to go to, something to look forward to. Tickets are $25 and include food and non-alcoholic beverages. Bodgen said there will be dancing, summer games and an appearance by Lt. Gov. John Fetterman.
Sanctuary Pittsburgh, a tattoo studio and vintage clothing and antiques shop in Lawrenceville, will hold and Out and Proud artists market on June 12. Studio director Jessica Brown said the event will focus on LGBTQ+ vendors to give them voice and increase their visibility.
Any time a creator doesn't fit the mold, they inherently have less resources available to them, Brown said. We've seen it time and time again with marginalized communities, talented and worthy folx are passed up for opportunities and the entire community suffers as a result.
The market takes place from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
On June 2, the University of Pittsburghs LGBTQ+ group Rainbow Alliance will host the virtual event An Evening with Adam Rippon at 9 p.m. Rippon is an openly gay Olympic figure skater who was named one of Times most influential people in 2018.
In Carnegie on June 12, musician Phat Man Dee will perform at a hybrid virtual and in-person event honoring Pittsburgh native Billy Strayhorn. Strayhorn, who was gay, was a prolicific jazz musician who collaborated with composer Duke Ellington.
Greensburg Pride will be held at the Westmoreland Museum of Art on June 26 from 5-9 p.m.
The LGBTQ online news resource QBurgh has a full line-up of summer Pride events, including the many drag brunches and shows taking place throughout the region.
Pittsburgh Pride Events Are Back, And There's No Shortage Of Ways To Celebrate - 90.5 WESA
- Hair stylist and cosmetic tattoo artist moves studio to larger space in Easton - The Morning Call - June 1st, 2021
- 'USA Ink': How tattoos have left their mark on our history, culture - Fox News - June 1st, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - June 1st, 2021
- Penticton tattoo artist has dedicated his life to the craft - Penticton News - Castanet.net - June 1st, 2021
- Where Was Ninja Assassin Filmed? 2009 Movie Filming Locations - The Cinemaholic - June 1st, 2021
- Red Table Talk: Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow and Gammy Get Matching Tattoos - TooFab - June 1st, 2021
- Developments in Development: A new cafecito spot, La Muerte in the Mission, and affordable housing waitlist - Mission Local - June 1st, 2021
- Top International Fashion News of the Week | 30.05.21 - The Trend Spotter - June 1st, 2021
- Helping those who ensure dignity to the Covid dead - The Tribune India - June 1st, 2021
- Fantasy Island Reboot Teaser Arrives, a New Adventure Begins on Fox This Summer - TVweb - June 1st, 2021
- Briana DeJesus introduces her fiance Javi Gonzalez to Teen Mom 2 fans - Monsters and Critics - June 1st, 2021
- 15 places to check out on Sterling Road in Toronto - blogTO - June 1st, 2021
- Tattoo beauty strips in tiny tank top snap to show off hundreds of inkings - Daily Star - June 1st, 2021
- The CW Fall 2021-22 Schedule: The Flash & Riverdale Unite, 4400 Lands On Monday, Batwoman, Nancy Drew & Legends Of Tomorrow On The Move &... - June 1st, 2021
- Reality TV show focused on North-East salon returns for third season - The Northern Echo - May 20th, 2021
- Lil Uzi Vert and JT Appear to Have Gotten Tattoos of Each Others Names - Complex - May 20th, 2021
- Angels of the North series 3 confirmed as BBC show expands to to feature tattoo studio and gym - Chronicle Live - May 20th, 2021
- The dos and don'ts of aftercare to ensure your tattoo looks its best - Euro Weekly News - May 20th, 2021
- What's Open, What's Closed: Avoca Coffee, Italian cafe among new businesses headed to Denton this summer - Denton Record Chronicle - May 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything is Temporary at Ephemeral Tattoo - INKED - April 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- People think theyre better than me or assume Im stupid because Im a single mum with 95% of my body cover... - The Sun - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 5th, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Making grief visible: When tattoos help cope with the loss of a loved one - CBC.ca - March 9th, 2021
- Rachit Jadoun - A Professional Tattoo Artist Is All Set To Make His Name In The Industry - Social News XYZ - March 9th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021