Photo: Black Petal Tattoo
"Okanagan Inspired" is a weekly series of articles offering a peek into the stories and inspirations of Pentictonites who hold creative roles in the community.
Penticton tattoo artist Joseph Markewich was born in Winnipeg but grew up mainly bouncing between Greater Vancouver and Kamloops.
I used to work for a logistics company in Vancouver, explains Markewich. But Ive been an artist for as long as I can possibly remember. I left the company to go to design school in 2010. I didnt really identify with the programming side, I was much more interested in the illustrative side so I designed more, but it wasnt paying the bills. Its hard to be an independent artist, so I went back as a graphic designer and illustrator at my old company, but I became tired of having one foot in both pools."
Markewich found his way into tattooing after being hired to design a logo for a tattoo shop.
Within a few months I was tattooing. I picked it up really quickly. I had friends ask me to design their tattoos previously so it felt natural for me to begin tattooing them. I also began getting a lot of tattoos. Markewich says.
Markewich had experience with all types of artistic mediums that eased his transition into tattoo artistry.
I met a really good friend in high school and we got involved in graffiti. I thought it was a really cool alternative medium to paint and I enjoyed the bit of the thrill, he explains.
Markewich feels the same inspiration and thrill with tattooing. He is best known for his line work, specializing in neo-traditional, traditional, black work and lettering.
I love floral tattoos too, I love flowers. Flowers will never go out of style. Markewich says.
When his friend with a tattoo shop in Vernon reached out, Markewich made the move to the Okanagan from Vancouver. That was six years ago and he has since worked in Vernon, Kelowna and now, Penticton.
While in Vernon, Markewich got heavily involved with helping out in the community. After working all day, he would volunteer at a homeless shelter from 11 p.m. - 7 a.m., only giving himself a few hours to rest.
I worked with clients one on one teaching life skills like how to cook meals and establish healthy routines, says Markewich.
Im a recovering alcoholic. I wouldn't be here today if it wasnt for this journey and working in recovery. I believe it is easy to just look at people when you drive by them, but it's another thing to get on the ground with them and help them up. Everyone deserves humanity. There is always something we can do to help, whether it is financial, time or effort. People need care.
Since moving to Penticton, Markewich has been working hard to open up his own tattoo shop, Black Petal Tattoo. It will be located on Lakeshore Drive, right across from the S.S. Sicamous.
After his grand opening June 1 and when things get more settled, Markewich plans on hosting an annual charity flash day to continue helping those in need.
A flash day is when you try to get as many people out getting small, pre-designed tattoos as possible to raise money. 100 per cent of it will go to charity. I want to do my best to reinvest into the community, Markewich explains.
Ive gone through some really hard times but I'm just thankful that it never got to the point that it overcame me. All I can do is really be better and help people along the way."
Markewich met his wife, Brooke, in Kelowna, and she was the one who inspired the move to Penticton. They are now building a house in Okanagan Falls, where she was born and raised, and have been here since October 2020.
Why I love living here is a three-pronged answer, he explains.
The atmosphere and the environment is just incredible. I love the weather and being in the woods. I was driving up to the house we are building, and the sun was shining through the trees and I saw a marmot and a bunch of deer, and have seen some bears. Its just a really cool place and its absolutely gorgeous. I also love the community. Everyone is super chill, and very welcoming. I am covered in tattoos and I know that can make me an outcast and judged, but everyone here is so welcoming, it's nice to have that. Lastly, after living in Vancouver and Kelowna, I love the infrastructure. Penticton is so convenient, there are a lot of options of where you can go and there's never any traffic.
Markewich got his first tattoo at the age of 20 of a deer and with three roses, but began tattooing in 2016.
I think I have a really unique style. I'm pretty versatile as to what I do. A lot of artists are very niche but I like to provide more than one style, while keeping my skills honed so that I'm still good at what I do. There are a lot of great artists around here, says Markewich.
Black Petal Tattoo will be the Okanagans first beachside tattoo shop.
This new studio is something that I have always wanted. I've always enjoyed working in other people's shops but there's a certain vibe I like to cultivate when I tattoo. I love black, earth tones and keep it very natural, inspiring, and comfortable with natural light. It has a cool vibe. Its been three months of grinding away doing renovations with early mornings and late nights but I don't want it to be just another tattoo shop. It will be something new and special for my old and new clients. I plan to offer quality work, the absolute best I can, with a good solid team of friendly, great people. I want to be part of the community too, and not just another hole in the wall shop. Right now it is just me and my apprentice, Annika, at the moment and Im already looking to expand the team."
Another unique addition is that when provincial health restrictions allow, he plans to keep a day free a week for walk-in tattoo clients and be open on weekends.
For someone who is interested in getting into tattooing, Markewich advises: Get tattooed! Find an artist you identify with, someone that would be a good mentor and lastly, draw draw draw! Draw until you're absolutely sick of drawing. Dont show up with a half baked portfolio. Tattooing is something you need to dedicate your entire life to. It is more like a craft or a trade, not a hobby. Spend your life working on it and dont try and self teach. Learn from someone who really knows what theyre doing because tattooing can be dangerous, and you can potentially kill someone, so you need to learn from someone you look up to and know.
Black Petal will be playing a nice mix of metal, hip hop and instrumentals but expect to hear "Walk" by Pantera, which is his favourite song to tattoo to.
Make sure to check out Markewichs tattoo artistry on Instagram @blackpetal.tattoo and @huemantattoo, and book an appointment with him at http://www.blackpetal.tattoo.
Go here to read the rest:
Penticton tattoo artist has dedicated his life to the craft - Penticton News - Castanet.net
- Police investigation launched after vehicle reverses into Durham tattoo shop and house in 'targeted attacks' - ChronicleLive - September 5th, 2021
- Philadelphia Tattoo Arts Convention is a big draw, but is ink still taboo in the mainstream? - Bucks County Courier Times - September 5th, 2021
- 9 Fun Activities To Do In Binghamton Over Labor Day Weekend - Blog - Binghamton University - September 5th, 2021
- Is there a right age to get a tattoo or can anyone get one? - Euro Weekly News - September 5th, 2021
- Scot gets epic roll and square sausage tattoo to cover up ex's name - Daily Record - August 24th, 2021
- Kitty Hawk Planning Board reviews tattoo studio request - The Coastland Times | The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - August 24th, 2021
- Indian Motorcycle reveal second of three tattoo-inspired motorcycle designs - Visordown - August 24th, 2021
- An Italian student got a COVID-19 vaccine pass tattooed on his arm, and showed it works with scanners - Yahoo News - August 24th, 2021
- People using tattoos as powerful therapy to recover from trauma and help mental health - The Mirror - August 24th, 2021
- Second Tattoo Artist Revealed in the Indian Motorcycle X No Regrets Collaboration - Motorcycle.com - August 24th, 2021
- Stoke-on-Trent's first tattoo convention set to be ink-credible - Stoke-on-Trent Live - August 24th, 2021
- This Woman Covered Her Face and Body Tattoos to See if Her Family Would Recognize Her - menshealth.com - August 24th, 2021
- Missoula's 15TH Annual River City Roots Fest | 827-282021 - Grateful Web - August 24th, 2021
- Anderson .Paak Gets His Dying Wish in the Form of an Explicit Tattoo Regarding His Music - Atlanta Black Star - August 24th, 2021
- Safe House Tattoo Studio - August 10th, 2021
- 27 Tattoo Studio - August 10th, 2021
- Professional Tattoo & Piercing Studio Liverpool - August 10th, 2021
- Shooting Stars - The Five Best Watches To Wear During Perseids Meteor Shower - Trends and style - WorldTempus - August 10th, 2021
- Who is Joel Kinnaman's ex-wife Cleo Wattenstrm? Actor's wedding to tattoo artist cost $435 - MEAWW - August 10th, 2021
- Hair stylist and cosmetic tattoo artist moves studio to larger space in Easton - The Morning Call - June 1st, 2021
- 'USA Ink': How tattoos have left their mark on our history, culture - Fox News - June 1st, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - June 1st, 2021
- Where Was Ninja Assassin Filmed? 2009 Movie Filming Locations - The Cinemaholic - June 1st, 2021
- Red Table Talk: Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow and Gammy Get Matching Tattoos - TooFab - June 1st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Pride Events Are Back, And There's No Shortage Of Ways To Celebrate - 90.5 WESA - June 1st, 2021
- Developments in Development: A new cafecito spot, La Muerte in the Mission, and affordable housing waitlist - Mission Local - June 1st, 2021
- Top International Fashion News of the Week | 30.05.21 - The Trend Spotter - June 1st, 2021
- Helping those who ensure dignity to the Covid dead - The Tribune India - June 1st, 2021
- Fantasy Island Reboot Teaser Arrives, a New Adventure Begins on Fox This Summer - TVweb - June 1st, 2021
- Briana DeJesus introduces her fiance Javi Gonzalez to Teen Mom 2 fans - Monsters and Critics - June 1st, 2021
- 15 places to check out on Sterling Road in Toronto - blogTO - June 1st, 2021
- Tattoo beauty strips in tiny tank top snap to show off hundreds of inkings - Daily Star - June 1st, 2021
- The CW Fall 2021-22 Schedule: The Flash & Riverdale Unite, 4400 Lands On Monday, Batwoman, Nancy Drew & Legends Of Tomorrow On The Move &... - June 1st, 2021
- Reality TV show focused on North-East salon returns for third season - The Northern Echo - May 20th, 2021
- Lil Uzi Vert and JT Appear to Have Gotten Tattoos of Each Others Names - Complex - May 20th, 2021
- Angels of the North series 3 confirmed as BBC show expands to to feature tattoo studio and gym - Chronicle Live - May 20th, 2021
- The dos and don'ts of aftercare to ensure your tattoo looks its best - Euro Weekly News - May 20th, 2021
- What's Open, What's Closed: Avoca Coffee, Italian cafe among new businesses headed to Denton this summer - Denton Record Chronicle - May 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything is Temporary at Ephemeral Tattoo - INKED - April 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- People think theyre better than me or assume Im stupid because Im a single mum with 95% of my body cover... - The Sun - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 5th, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Making grief visible: When tattoos help cope with the loss of a loved one - CBC.ca - March 9th, 2021
- Rachit Jadoun - A Professional Tattoo Artist Is All Set To Make His Name In The Industry - Social News XYZ - March 9th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021