This story is part of L.A. We. See. You!, the second issue of Image, which explores various ways of seeing the city for what it is. See the full package here.
Brian Woo is known for getting under peoples skin. Literally.
Well, more like inside their skin. Known professionally as Dr. Woo, the 40-year-old SoCal native has built a name as the go-to tattoo artist to Los Angeles hype-happy creative class, permanently drawing on the dermis of A-list celebs including Zo Kravitz, Drake, Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber. In the process, the Chinese American ink master, who has a studio at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, has become something of a celebrity, amassing a sizable social media following (1.8 million on Instagram) that is in thrall to his fine-line, heavily detailed style.
A veteran of the iconic Melrose parlor Shamrock Social Club, Woo also has made serious inroads into the fashion community of late. Hes collaborated with brands ranging from the popular sneaker brand Converse to the high-end Japanese label Sacai, but now hes returning to what he knows best with his line of grooming products, Woo Skin Essentials. Launched late last year, the collection ($18 to $95 at Maxfield, Violet Grey and projectwoo.co) ranges from tattoo after-care products to everyday goods such as moisturizer, body wash, soap and lip balm. We spoke to the in-demand entrepreneur about his latest project.
This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity and length.
I read that you learned about American culture growing up through household products. Can you tell us about that?
It was household products, the ads youd see, predominantly white families using them. It wasnt so much like, I dont look like them or I dont get treated like them. It was more like, This is what it is. Anything from cereal to milk. The Gap, Vans, Converse. Morton Salt that girl holding the umbrella. Folgers! Like, Folgers was an American morning.
Did that influence your decision to start a skin-care line?
Yeah, that was definitely a big part of the mental planning of what I would want to create. It was this idea that you open up a cabinet or you look at your bathroom counter, and it just belongs like its always been there.
The Woo Skin Essentials Moisturizing Sun Shield SPF 30.
Your work is connected to peoples skin. Was there a specific moment or circumstance that inspired you to create your own products?
I wanted a new challenge. I find branding and creating consumer products really interesting. The designer side of me wanted to create something tangible thats part of a persons everyday life. Skin is something that Ive worked closely with for a long time all different skin types. I have very sensitive skin, so my options are limited. I wanted to create something for people like me. I remember the first few tattoos I got became infected. I thought I was allergic to tattoos. But I had to do research, which led me to one product that worked for me whereas other people could use a multitude.
The Woo Skin Essentials products focus on clean ingredients. Why was that important to you?
I had a lot of insight on how skin reacts to tattoos and what sun damage does. You can see how a person lives through their skin. But I wasnt familiar with ingredients. Working with the team, I learned what different ingredients can do for different goals a person may have [and] also an understanding [of] how hard it is to make products with certain ingredients. One of the products Im most proud of is the bar soap because it has three ingredients. And it sounds like it would be easier with fewer ingredients, but its actually difficult. Essentially, the less you have, the less harmful things youre putting in contact with your body.
The Woo Skin Essentials After/Care Treatment Kit, $42.
Has grooming or self-care always been important to you?
I lived pretty recklessly in my youth. Coming up as a tattoo artist in my early 20s, it wasnt always the way it is now. I dont live the same way. I have two kids. I got to a point where self-care was more important to me, and its trickling down. A lot of the younger kids that I speak with, its something that theyre aware of. I try my best. Im not a model citizen for health and wellness but I try.
Obviously, you care about aesthetics and design. Tell us how you approached the packaging for Woo Skin Essentials. Its very cool and elevated.
I have a lot of ideas and visions, but when it came to packaging and how things are made, I leaned on my team members. I have a wonderful designer whos amazing. I would send her ideas, like the vision that I wanted. There are a lot of things I didnt think about, you know? Like how the logo looks, how people will see it first; textures when it comes to packaging. But what we really wanted was to keep our footprint as small as possible. So our packaging is made from recycled paper, vegan inks. A lot is stamped so we minimize our printing. I wanted something sleek. We really thought about places we envisioned the product, places it would look good in, and then reverse-engineered that vibe. Moving forward, were going to add in some more products, and Id like to add splash and a little more fun. A little more color. But thats the cool part. There arent rules. You can always reinvent yourself and add things youre emotionally connected to.
A Woo Skin Essentials hand sanitizer.
Do you plan to expand into different categories?
We definitely have a long-term plan of growing this into other daily essentials. We have a collaboration coming out. We have a body wash coming out with a very light fragrance. We like having these weird little ideas and seeing where they take us. And we have great partners, Violet Grey and Maxfield you know, people that I respect and am honored to be in because of our like-minded view on things. The cool thing about our brand is that you know a lot of people in my position might say this is a play you should make. Slap your logo on this thing and direct your followers to it. But this is something that Im passionate about. Its a passion project. We care about what we do. We care for it and nurture it.
Whats your personal grooming routine: involved or minimal?
When I was traveling a lot, it was fairly involved. Being in a plane, traveling, you have to moisturize and hydrate your skin, especially your face. Ill admit that this last year being at home I havent been doing as much. We have a body moisturizer but it really works well everywhere. I use it before bed and when I wake up. I just started training again at a private jiu-jitsu studio and, after a hard workout and a harsh shower with that hard water, it comes in handy.
The Woo Skin Essentials Gentle Cleansing Soap Set, $18.
Whats your favorite product from your line?
If I was still getting tattooed heavily, Id choose the after-care kit because it comes with the soap and it has the after-care lotion. But the after-care lotion is made in a way that it could be your daily moisturizer. But since Im not, I would have to say its the daily moisturizer. It really is good for everything. Its fragrance-free. Its not greasy. You can put it on your face, wherever. Its an all-around go-to.
Read more here:
Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times
- Hair stylist and cosmetic tattoo artist moves studio to larger space in Easton - The Morning Call - June 1st, 2021
- 'USA Ink': How tattoos have left their mark on our history, culture - Fox News - June 1st, 2021
- Penticton tattoo artist has dedicated his life to the craft - Penticton News - Castanet.net - June 1st, 2021
- Where Was Ninja Assassin Filmed? 2009 Movie Filming Locations - The Cinemaholic - June 1st, 2021
- Red Table Talk: Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow and Gammy Get Matching Tattoos - TooFab - June 1st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Pride Events Are Back, And There's No Shortage Of Ways To Celebrate - 90.5 WESA - June 1st, 2021
- Developments in Development: A new cafecito spot, La Muerte in the Mission, and affordable housing waitlist - Mission Local - June 1st, 2021
- Top International Fashion News of the Week | 30.05.21 - The Trend Spotter - June 1st, 2021
- Helping those who ensure dignity to the Covid dead - The Tribune India - June 1st, 2021
- Fantasy Island Reboot Teaser Arrives, a New Adventure Begins on Fox This Summer - TVweb - June 1st, 2021
- Briana DeJesus introduces her fiance Javi Gonzalez to Teen Mom 2 fans - Monsters and Critics - June 1st, 2021
- 15 places to check out on Sterling Road in Toronto - blogTO - June 1st, 2021
- Tattoo beauty strips in tiny tank top snap to show off hundreds of inkings - Daily Star - June 1st, 2021
- The CW Fall 2021-22 Schedule: The Flash & Riverdale Unite, 4400 Lands On Monday, Batwoman, Nancy Drew & Legends Of Tomorrow On The Move &... - June 1st, 2021
- Reality TV show focused on North-East salon returns for third season - The Northern Echo - May 20th, 2021
- Lil Uzi Vert and JT Appear to Have Gotten Tattoos of Each Others Names - Complex - May 20th, 2021
- Angels of the North series 3 confirmed as BBC show expands to to feature tattoo studio and gym - Chronicle Live - May 20th, 2021
- The dos and don'ts of aftercare to ensure your tattoo looks its best - Euro Weekly News - May 20th, 2021
- What's Open, What's Closed: Avoca Coffee, Italian cafe among new businesses headed to Denton this summer - Denton Record Chronicle - May 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything is Temporary at Ephemeral Tattoo - INKED - April 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- People think theyre better than me or assume Im stupid because Im a single mum with 95% of my body cover... - The Sun - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 5th, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Making grief visible: When tattoos help cope with the loss of a loved one - CBC.ca - March 9th, 2021
- Rachit Jadoun - A Professional Tattoo Artist Is All Set To Make His Name In The Industry - Social News XYZ - March 9th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021