Abanico Coffee Roasters opens in the Mission
Its hardly surprising that with all the business-permitting hoops to jump through, plus a global pandemic, Ana Valle took two years to open Abanico Coffee Roasters at 2121 Mission St. The soft opening happened two weeks ago. I didnt make a big deal, because what if things shut down again?
But, as youd expect, the whisperings of a Salvadoran-owned coffee shop in a proud Latinx neighborhood have been positive. Just a few days ago, an elderly Salvadoran woman stopped in, saying she saw a Telemundo broadcast of Abanico right after her nightly telenovela. As the manager bore witness, the woman clasped hands with Valle and blessed the establishment in Spanish. She said she lived here for 30 years, and how happy she was that I was here, Valle said.
Ironically, the idea for a coffee shop also involved an old Salvadoran woman, Valles grandmother. I had so many brothers, but my grandmother fed me the coffee. It was our thing. Even after fleeing the country with her family during the Civil War, Valle recalled her grandmothers cafecito as a way of saying, I love you.
Once her family moved to the States, they settled in Daly City. It was the Mission, though, where they frequently dined and shopped. Wed just hop on the freeway and go. It was the neighborhood that had welcomed us at the time, she recalled. Ever since, Valle knew if she opened a business, it had to be in the Mission.
Join our daily newsletter list!
By clicking submit, you agree to share your email address with Mission Local and Mailchimp. Use the unsubscribe link in those emails to opt-out at any time.
Success! You're on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn't process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.
Since 2019, Valle had her eyes on the former furniture space across from Clarion Alley, but then, she experienced the planning process. Amendments were required. Zoning changes needed. And once things were squared up, the pandemic hit. Luckily, the property owner didnt have Valle on the hook for rent until she officially moved in around Feb. 2021.
Once prepped to open, Valle said nailing the drink recipes has been important forsomeone who grew with the coffee plantations in my backyard. Valle learned roasting, coffee-making, and tasting. Each signature drink gives a nod to classic Latin recipes and Valles added twist. Ice in the Mexican cafe de olla is one. (I ordered one; it lives up to the hype.)
Valle feels that the Latinx community deserves the finest ingredients (she proudly arranged the morro seeds and piloncillo sugar by the register) and the best quality and not from a commercially-owned coffee giant, but from someone who truly cares about the love and culture in each cup. Thinking about her self-anointed mission, Valle dabs her eyes. I get teary-eyed just thinking about it, she said.
And ,while Valle transitions to a new life, a few streets down theres rumblings of death, both literally and figuratively.
The saga of 2588 Mission St., known by activists as La Muerte de la Misin (or the Death of the Mission) continues. If that rings a bell, its because, in 2015, the former building gained notoriety for literally going down in flames. The brutal blaze killed one person, and displaced some 60 residents and scores of businesses, Mission Local among them.
In the past week, a petition opposing the proposed building was circulated by Our Mission No Eviction, a group that opposes evictions and was co-founded by the neighborhoods unofficial mayor, Roberto Hernandez. The petition, supported by tens of other neighborhood groups, rehashed the damage and named Mauricio Orellana, who died in the fire.
Community members want Hawk Ling Lou, the property owner, to give the site up to an affordable housing developer and to build 100 percent affordable housing. That way, mostly low-income immigrant tenants that were displaced could return to the neighborhood, they argued. (Lou hasnt returned an email by press time. An architect on the project declined to speak, citing policy to not discuss projects without clients permission.)
So when a permit was filed for a nine-story building that advertised 148 units, of which only 28 of which would be affordable, that sparked anger in the community. That was referenced again in the recent petition, which said, this development has been named La Muerte because it will continue the death of the Mission.
What does that mean? Hernandez said about the project plans. It means [Lous] not going to put these tenants back in there, hes not going to build the mercado back. So what happens to the businesses that were there?
He said, Again, this is gentrification.
Its time for a new look.
At present, 4374 Mission St. in the Outer Mission/Excelsior is home to a 600-square-foot tenant space, according to public records. And, according to the internet and a real-estate developer, that address used to be the home of JC Tattoos SF, a tattoo studio advertising seven-day-a-week service and talented artists who are exclusively named Mike. (You could have your pick at Mike b or Mike Pickle.)
The Mission has been at the center of the pandemic in San Francisco.
Mission Local has been here to cover it.
But it turns out they havent been there for months, and the Planning Commission decided at its May 27 meeting to unanimously approve a zoning makeover for the space. This means it will switch from conditional use to personal services use, a necessary step to get a barber shop up and running.
Ray Scarabasio, who represents the real-estate development company overseeing the project, told me its a family-owned and minority business. Though thrilled for the project, Scarabasio felt compelled to warn them that starting a business in the city and applying for all the right permits is no easy task. Still, the family agreed to do it the legitimate way, which I find commendable, he chuckled. I said, Well wait for you.
A recent tweet from District 8 Supervisor Rafael Mandelman had me thinking of a few age-old adages: the best things in life are free, and good things come to those who wait. The supe announced that affordable housing units at Alcantara Court apartments, at 670-672 Valencia St., have opened a waitlist to San Francisco seniors over 62. Okay, okay, these apartments arent free, but these do cater to the elderly, who dont make much. For example, to qualify one individual must earn less than $5,400 a month; a couple must make less than $6,100 a month.
Dont get me wrong; getting off a waitlist for affordable housing in this city wont be easy; at Alcantara alone, there are 300 waitlist slots and about 49 units up for grabs via a lottery. And thats just the waitlist. There arent units available right now. But this makes me think of another wise saying, parlayed by television character Michael Scott and pro-hockey player Wayne Gretzky: You miss 100 percent of the shots you dont take.
Because of Covid-19, only online applications are being accepted. Apply here or call a housing counselor at 415-928-5910 to help you file one. Applications are due on June 15 at 5 p.m.
Its worth noting that Supervisor Dean Preston introduced legislation to extend San Franciscos local eviction moratorium, which means if you can pay 25 percent of rent, you can stave off nonpayment eviction. As Mission residents told me, eviction and homelessness are huge concerns, but 25 percent rent may be easier said than done. Fortunately, $90 million was announced for San Franciscans seeking up to six months of rent relief and are taking applications now, though tenants organizers say attaining it is a different story. In the meantime, other groups say thousands of low-income San Franciscans missed opportunities to unlock money via tax-credits. See if you qualify.
What Im reading: Just Four SF Households Have Received Rent Relief Funds
In Noah Arroyos piece for SF Public Press, he parsed numbers and didnt mince words: yup, only four San Francisco households received state rent relief as of May 26 (or, two days ago). How many applied? About 2,650 households, he said, the vast majority low-income. While its a straightforward piece, the data speaks for itself. Now, what are the city and state going to do about it?
Will California lawmakers boost Black homeownership?
Manuela Tobias of CalMatters lays out the complicated and nuanced approaches to achieving housing equity among Black, brown, and low-income communities in California. Not only does she deliver much-needed context, which happens to highlight a Black resident in East Oakland, but she has organizers, realtors and government officials propose their solutions. Did you know an Oakland organization buys the land of a property and then leases it out to make it easier on clients to eventually buy that house? Because before this, I sure didnt.
Developments in Development: A new cafecito spot, La Muerte in the Mission, and affordable housing waitlist - Mission Local
- Police investigation launched after vehicle reverses into Durham tattoo shop and house in 'targeted attacks' - ChronicleLive - September 5th, 2021
- Philadelphia Tattoo Arts Convention is a big draw, but is ink still taboo in the mainstream? - Bucks County Courier Times - September 5th, 2021
- 9 Fun Activities To Do In Binghamton Over Labor Day Weekend - Blog - Binghamton University - September 5th, 2021
- Is there a right age to get a tattoo or can anyone get one? - Euro Weekly News - September 5th, 2021
- Scot gets epic roll and square sausage tattoo to cover up ex's name - Daily Record - August 24th, 2021
- Kitty Hawk Planning Board reviews tattoo studio request - The Coastland Times | The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - August 24th, 2021
- Indian Motorcycle reveal second of three tattoo-inspired motorcycle designs - Visordown - August 24th, 2021
- An Italian student got a COVID-19 vaccine pass tattooed on his arm, and showed it works with scanners - Yahoo News - August 24th, 2021
- People using tattoos as powerful therapy to recover from trauma and help mental health - The Mirror - August 24th, 2021
- Second Tattoo Artist Revealed in the Indian Motorcycle X No Regrets Collaboration - Motorcycle.com - August 24th, 2021
- Stoke-on-Trent's first tattoo convention set to be ink-credible - Stoke-on-Trent Live - August 24th, 2021
- This Woman Covered Her Face and Body Tattoos to See if Her Family Would Recognize Her - menshealth.com - August 24th, 2021
- Missoula's 15TH Annual River City Roots Fest | 827-282021 - Grateful Web - August 24th, 2021
- Anderson .Paak Gets His Dying Wish in the Form of an Explicit Tattoo Regarding His Music - Atlanta Black Star - August 24th, 2021
- Safe House Tattoo Studio - August 10th, 2021
- 27 Tattoo Studio - August 10th, 2021
- Professional Tattoo & Piercing Studio Liverpool - August 10th, 2021
- Shooting Stars - The Five Best Watches To Wear During Perseids Meteor Shower - Trends and style - WorldTempus - August 10th, 2021
- Who is Joel Kinnaman's ex-wife Cleo Wattenstrm? Actor's wedding to tattoo artist cost $435 - MEAWW - August 10th, 2021
- Hair stylist and cosmetic tattoo artist moves studio to larger space in Easton - The Morning Call - June 1st, 2021
- 'USA Ink': How tattoos have left their mark on our history, culture - Fox News - June 1st, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - June 1st, 2021
- Penticton tattoo artist has dedicated his life to the craft - Penticton News - Castanet.net - June 1st, 2021
- Where Was Ninja Assassin Filmed? 2009 Movie Filming Locations - The Cinemaholic - June 1st, 2021
- Red Table Talk: Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow and Gammy Get Matching Tattoos - TooFab - June 1st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Pride Events Are Back, And There's No Shortage Of Ways To Celebrate - 90.5 WESA - June 1st, 2021
- Top International Fashion News of the Week | 30.05.21 - The Trend Spotter - June 1st, 2021
- Helping those who ensure dignity to the Covid dead - The Tribune India - June 1st, 2021
- Fantasy Island Reboot Teaser Arrives, a New Adventure Begins on Fox This Summer - TVweb - June 1st, 2021
- Briana DeJesus introduces her fiance Javi Gonzalez to Teen Mom 2 fans - Monsters and Critics - June 1st, 2021
- 15 places to check out on Sterling Road in Toronto - blogTO - June 1st, 2021
- Tattoo beauty strips in tiny tank top snap to show off hundreds of inkings - Daily Star - June 1st, 2021
- The CW Fall 2021-22 Schedule: The Flash & Riverdale Unite, 4400 Lands On Monday, Batwoman, Nancy Drew & Legends Of Tomorrow On The Move &... - June 1st, 2021
- Reality TV show focused on North-East salon returns for third season - The Northern Echo - May 20th, 2021
- Lil Uzi Vert and JT Appear to Have Gotten Tattoos of Each Others Names - Complex - May 20th, 2021
- Angels of the North series 3 confirmed as BBC show expands to to feature tattoo studio and gym - Chronicle Live - May 20th, 2021
- The dos and don'ts of aftercare to ensure your tattoo looks its best - Euro Weekly News - May 20th, 2021
- What's Open, What's Closed: Avoca Coffee, Italian cafe among new businesses headed to Denton this summer - Denton Record Chronicle - May 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything is Temporary at Ephemeral Tattoo - INKED - April 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- People think theyre better than me or assume Im stupid because Im a single mum with 95% of my body cover... - The Sun - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 5th, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Making grief visible: When tattoos help cope with the loss of a loved one - CBC.ca - March 9th, 2021
- Rachit Jadoun - A Professional Tattoo Artist Is All Set To Make His Name In The Industry - Social News XYZ - March 9th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021