A Vermont tattoo artist is offering a free service to people who want to remove hateful skin art by erasing or covering up offensive images. (June 25) AP Domestic
When Alana Swaringenfound out COVID-19 vaccines were coming, she wanted to celebrate. She got a tattoo of a smiling Band-Aid, right where shed soon get her vaccine.
For me, its a reflection of the crazy year weve had and a celebration of mystrength and what Ive gone through this past year, the 22-year-old Syracuse University student said.
When the health careworker gave her the vaccine in the middle of her smiling Band-Aid, she cried.
It felt like the start of something new, finally overcoming something, she said. And the tattoo is a constant reminder of that.
When Alana Swaringen found out about COVID-19 vaccine rollouts, she wanted to celebrate. So she got a tattoo of a smiling Band-Aid, right where shed soon get her vaccine.(Photo: Alana Swaringen)
Despite permanent closings of countless tattoo shops earlier in the pandemic, many that survived told USA TODAY they've seen increased interest over the past few months.Increased demand may not be related to the vaccine, they said. Instead, they pointed to multiple factorsincluding stimulus checks, warmer weather and pandemic boredom.
The increase in business isn't uncommon in the U.S. as spring hits, saidPat Sinatra, vice president of the Alliance of Professional Tattooists Inc., aprofessional internationalbusiness league of tattooartists, studios and apprentices.
In many parts of the world and especially in the United States, warmer weather increases the interest in getting tattooed, he said.
Sinatra added: Also, with the receipt of tax refunds and stimulus checks and assuredly, the vaccine, we all will hopefully return to business as usual."
Grimes unveils her tattoos of 'beautiful alien scars': See the photo here
Duffy Foster, owner of Spokanes Tiger Tattoo, one of the oldest tattoo shops in Washington state, said the increased interest hes seen since reopening in June is likely due to people being bored.
With no one going to restaurants, bars, sporting events, or music venues, I believe that tattoos have become the new feel good food,'"he said.
He said hes hearing from more and more vaccinated clients who are less worried aboutcoming in for a tattoo. But the demand hadbeen consistent long before vaccines were available, he said.
Collin Jordan, owner of Enclave Tattoo Studio in Gainesville, Florida, said his clientele has at least doubled over the last year. For a time, he had to turn off his business phone because he was getting too many requests.
People think that if they go out and get a tattoo now, not a lot of people will be doing it right now, he said. "But they dont realize how crazy the volume is of people thinking the same thing.
'Don't you have enough yet?'Justin Bieber's mom reacts to 'Peaches' singer's new neck tattoo
Jordan pointed to another reason for increased demands: stimulus payments. Each time stimulus money hit peoples bank accounts, he immediately saw huge spikes in business.
With tattooing, its a luxury item, so people may not get tattoos unless they have that extra money, he said. So after the stimulus checks are out, people are going to get things they might not budget for, like tattoos.
The influx of business comes after an anxious time for tattoo studios forced to shutter their doors during government-mandated shutdowns at the start of the pandemic.
Jordan's studio closed for three months, and he watched several other stores in his area shut down permanently.
I was definitely worried when lockdown started, Jordan said. I didnt know what was going to happen. And I certainly didnt expect this on the other side.
For Korie Pickett, co-owner ofthe Playground in Bloomington, Indiana, the pandemic forced the studio to make tough decisions.
We had to decide if we were going to blow through both of our savings or allow the studio to die out, Pickett said in an email.
But when the shopreopened in May after closing for two months, itsaw a flood of support. Pickettsaid many of the shop's clients used tattooing as a form of therapy tocope withthe trauma of the pandemic. Tattoos were something to look forward to in a bleak year.
It all feels pretty unbelievable at times, she said in an email. For a while we felt like we were holding our breath.
Adam Sky, owner of Morningstar Tattoo Parlor in Belmont, California, questioned if his studio would survive the pandemic. He watched larger, high-profile street shops close. But after the dust settled, he noticed many smaller, private and appointment-based studios like his thrive.
When we reopened, we just got inundated with business," he said. "Ive been tattooing for 30 years, and Ive never seen business this crazy.
By April, Sky was booked through the summer and hadto find other tattoo artists to help him. After shutdowns, Sky said there was this real hunger for people to get back in and get tattoos.
People have also been denied a lot of leisure activities during the pandemic and so theyre refocusing their spending on things they feel they can more safely do closer to home, like tattooing, he said.
If you want to get a tattoo, make sure you book well in advance because at most places its going to take some time for you to get in the chair, he added.
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/05/06/tattoo-artists-see-more-demand-covid-vaccine-among-reasons-why/4903212001/
See the rest here:
Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press
- Applications open for Christian and Dewitt county families in need of toys this Christmas - WAND - October 20th, 2021
- October art exhibitions, events, pop-ups and shows in L.A. - Los Angeles Times - October 20th, 2021
- 'Black Ink Crew: Chicago': Don Brumfield shuts down Apex Universe on its opening day - MEAWW - October 20th, 2021
- The TAT Studio celebrates grand opening - Pleasanton Express - October 20th, 2021
- Tony Fitzpatrick returns to College of DuPage for one last museum show, but 'it's not the end of anything' - Daily Herald - October 20th, 2021
- Oh, the horror! 'Halloween Kills,' 'The Black Phone' and 'Scream' highlight talent of local special effects group - Port City Daily - October 20th, 2021
- The Winners Of The 2021 Readers' Choice Awards Are Here - Louisville Eccentric Observer - October 20th, 2021
- The tattoo artist helping breast cancer survivors to reclaim their sexuality and process their trauma - Independent.ie - October 9th, 2021
- Utah tattoo artist helps breast cancer survivors regain confidence through art - ABC 4 - October 9th, 2021
- Beats by Beat: WISER gives us a mix that's outer-worldly yet down-to-earth - Beat Magazine - October 9th, 2021
- NJ woman who went on a road trip with her boyfriend has been missing for months - WTRF - October 9th, 2021
- Here are all the winners in the 2021 Best of the Upstate contest - Greenville News - October 9th, 2021
- Carr Centers 30th season brings new space and the return to live performance - The Detroit News - October 9th, 2021
- Police investigation launched after vehicle reverses into Durham tattoo shop and house in 'targeted attacks' - ChronicleLive - September 5th, 2021
- Philadelphia Tattoo Arts Convention is a big draw, but is ink still taboo in the mainstream? - Bucks County Courier Times - September 5th, 2021
- 9 Fun Activities To Do In Binghamton Over Labor Day Weekend - Blog - Binghamton University - September 5th, 2021
- Is there a right age to get a tattoo or can anyone get one? - Euro Weekly News - September 5th, 2021
- Scot gets epic roll and square sausage tattoo to cover up ex's name - Daily Record - August 24th, 2021
- Kitty Hawk Planning Board reviews tattoo studio request - The Coastland Times | The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - August 24th, 2021
- Indian Motorcycle reveal second of three tattoo-inspired motorcycle designs - Visordown - August 24th, 2021
- An Italian student got a COVID-19 vaccine pass tattooed on his arm, and showed it works with scanners - Yahoo News - August 24th, 2021
- People using tattoos as powerful therapy to recover from trauma and help mental health - The Mirror - August 24th, 2021
- Second Tattoo Artist Revealed in the Indian Motorcycle X No Regrets Collaboration - Motorcycle.com - August 24th, 2021
- Stoke-on-Trent's first tattoo convention set to be ink-credible - Stoke-on-Trent Live - August 24th, 2021
- This Woman Covered Her Face and Body Tattoos to See if Her Family Would Recognize Her - menshealth.com - August 24th, 2021
- Missoula's 15TH Annual River City Roots Fest | 827-282021 - Grateful Web - August 24th, 2021
- Anderson .Paak Gets His Dying Wish in the Form of an Explicit Tattoo Regarding His Music - Atlanta Black Star - August 24th, 2021
- Safe House Tattoo Studio - August 10th, 2021
- 27 Tattoo Studio - August 10th, 2021
- Professional Tattoo & Piercing Studio Liverpool - August 10th, 2021
- Shooting Stars - The Five Best Watches To Wear During Perseids Meteor Shower - Trends and style - WorldTempus - August 10th, 2021
- Who is Joel Kinnaman's ex-wife Cleo Wattenstrm? Actor's wedding to tattoo artist cost $435 - MEAWW - August 10th, 2021
- Hair stylist and cosmetic tattoo artist moves studio to larger space in Easton - The Morning Call - June 1st, 2021
- 'USA Ink': How tattoos have left their mark on our history, culture - Fox News - June 1st, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - June 1st, 2021
- Penticton tattoo artist has dedicated his life to the craft - Penticton News - Castanet.net - June 1st, 2021
- Where Was Ninja Assassin Filmed? 2009 Movie Filming Locations - The Cinemaholic - June 1st, 2021
- Red Table Talk: Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow and Gammy Get Matching Tattoos - TooFab - June 1st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Pride Events Are Back, And There's No Shortage Of Ways To Celebrate - 90.5 WESA - June 1st, 2021
- Developments in Development: A new cafecito spot, La Muerte in the Mission, and affordable housing waitlist - Mission Local - June 1st, 2021
- Top International Fashion News of the Week | 30.05.21 - The Trend Spotter - June 1st, 2021
- Helping those who ensure dignity to the Covid dead - The Tribune India - June 1st, 2021
- Fantasy Island Reboot Teaser Arrives, a New Adventure Begins on Fox This Summer - TVweb - June 1st, 2021
- Briana DeJesus introduces her fiance Javi Gonzalez to Teen Mom 2 fans - Monsters and Critics - June 1st, 2021
- 15 places to check out on Sterling Road in Toronto - blogTO - June 1st, 2021
- Tattoo beauty strips in tiny tank top snap to show off hundreds of inkings - Daily Star - June 1st, 2021
- The CW Fall 2021-22 Schedule: The Flash & Riverdale Unite, 4400 Lands On Monday, Batwoman, Nancy Drew & Legends Of Tomorrow On The Move &... - June 1st, 2021
- Reality TV show focused on North-East salon returns for third season - The Northern Echo - May 20th, 2021
- Lil Uzi Vert and JT Appear to Have Gotten Tattoos of Each Others Names - Complex - May 20th, 2021
- Angels of the North series 3 confirmed as BBC show expands to to feature tattoo studio and gym - Chronicle Live - May 20th, 2021
- The dos and don'ts of aftercare to ensure your tattoo looks its best - Euro Weekly News - May 20th, 2021
- What's Open, What's Closed: Avoca Coffee, Italian cafe among new businesses headed to Denton this summer - Denton Record Chronicle - May 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything is Temporary at Ephemeral Tattoo - INKED - April 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- People think theyre better than me or assume Im stupid because Im a single mum with 95% of my body cover... - The Sun - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 5th, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021