A TATTOO artist who turned to fine art watercolour painting during lockdown to pay the bills has seen her beautiful masterpieces snapped up by collectors across the globe.
Becca Millerchip-Brown, the owner of tattoo studio Freakshow, in Newbury, West Berkshire, has covered 95 per cent of her body in ink - but not everyones a fan of her look, with the single mum admitting people think theyre better than me or treat like her like shes stupid.
With tattoo parlours forced to close for much of the past year, Becca, who lives with her two teenage boys, in Wroughton, Wiltshire, built up a reputation as an animal and nature painter.
She began painting every day, taking photographs of nature on her daily walks, which became her inspiration.
Becca was surprised at the interest in her fine art and now vows to continue painting even after reopening her studio, despite being spoken down to by people in the art world about her eye-catching array of body art.
The defiant mum proudly displays her fine art alongside tattoo pics on her Instagram page as she sees both as serious artwork, just different mediums.
The 44-year-old said: I've had both positive and negative reactions because I am pretty covered in tattoos. People Ive met in the art world who are 'eccentric rich' love my appearance.
The negative reactions Ive had are from the wannabe middle class who think they're better simply because they chose to conform to a standard in their appearance.
There are people who have an initial opinion of me based on my tattoos and how I look who speak to me in a very condescending way, who are surprised when I can respond in a reasonably articulate manner.
I do find it quite funny. I put my paintings alongside my tattoo work because to me it's all art just different mediums.
People who have an initial opinion of me based on my tattoos and how I look speak to me in a very condescending way
The only part of Beccas body which isnt tattooed is her face, although she does have inks under her hair.
She said: When people have asked how many tattoos I have, I normally say one because they all join up.
Most of the time I get positive reactions, people stop and say nice tattoos. I have heard little children say: That lady has pretty flowers on her and things like that.
In the summer people do stare, but I've noticed it more when I've been on holiday abroad. Ive even been asked to have my photo taken with people on holiday simply because of the amount of tattoos I have.
My look definitely coincides with my shop name Freakshow when people think you're a freak or oddity in a sideshow. I do understand why, because it is unusual to have as many as I do, especially for a female.
Becca has owned her studio Freakshow for almost a decade and its a real extension of her personality.
Freakshows were a popular form of entertainment during the Victorian period, when people flocked to gawp at unusual, novel acts.
This theme runs throughout the interior of Beccas studio, with walls covered in murals and prints from the era, displayed taxidermy, a hall of mirrors on the stairway and candy carnival stripes on the banisters.
The artist has attempted to tattoo herself before, but it didnt go to plan, and instead travels far and wide across the UK to get inked by tattooists she admires.
People think you're a freak or oddity in a sideshow - I do understand why, because it is unusual to have as many tattoos as I do
Becca had her first tattoo underage at just 15 - a scorpion, which she soon had covered up because she didn't like it. That early mistake made her think very carefully about her future tatts and their meanings.
Her favourites include aportrait of Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr from the film 'An Affair to Remember' as she used to watch old movies with her grandmother.
She has a mayfly on her leg because her dad once told her that the insect only lives for one day, so it's a reminder to live each day to your fullest potential.
Daffodils on Becca's legs are for her mum because they're her favourite flower, and a cup of tea, also on her leg, was chosen because her parents love a cuppa.
She has a lady playing a violin on her leg because her eldest son plays the violin and an owl her youngest drew.
She said: It's pretty much a struggle to find any gaps now, I'm so very covered. I will fill in any gaps with more tattoos but it's annoying that I can't get any larger pieces anymore.
"I love art so much and have paintings and art all around my home, so I see this as a similar thing."
Becca has been interested in art from a young age; shed miss lessons at school so she could attend extra art lessons, going on to study art at college, followed by a fine art degree at De Montfort University, gaining a 2:1.
Shes exhibited at the Royal Academy in Edinburgh, sold a painting at Bond Street Sothebys, has had artwork on display at art festivals and sold commissions locally before getting into tattooing.
Before the pandemic, tattooing provided her biggest income, but she hopes to continue fine art painting more regularly after her shop opens on Monday.
Becca said: This past year has been a real struggle mentally and financially, especially as a single mum-of-two. Suddenly being told your only source of income isnt allowed to continue, Ive had to adapt.
All this made me determined to keep myself productive and paint daily. I need a shop to go back to which has meant keeping up with payments there and also at home.
During lockdown Ive had commissions both locally across the UK and abroad including Denmark, France and America.
I have painted a lot of pets, mainly dogs, cats, but also guinea pigs, a pet chicken and a pet goat. Lots of wild animals and flowers too. Nature is what I truly love painting and drawing and lockdown walks have kept me inspired.
I'm used to drawing daily for tattoos as all my tattoo work is uniquely designed for each client so the artwork side of it goes hand in hand.
MYSTIC MEGApril 23: A work-for-yourself enterprise is ready to move to the next stage
REIGNING SUPREME10 years after becoming Duchess, Kate Middleton is queen of high street
HORROR HACKI may be scarred for life after trying a Loose Women egg hack & it exploded
COME AGAINI had to go to A&E after sex gave me a 4 HOUR orgasm now I climax from walking
matey kateyFrom mum-drinks in pub to shopping in Sainsburys, how Kate is Queen of Normal
MANE NEWSHairdresser reveals the five bad hair habits you need to break NOW
Meanwhile, one woman went blind after tattoo artist botched job of inking her eyeballs, but she doesn't mind because she loves her look.
Plus, one man's lavish proposal went viral after he popped the question with not one, but five rings.
And one super organised mum reveals why she sets 12 alarms per day and schedules playtime for daughter to military precision.
Read the original:
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything is Temporary at Ephemeral Tattoo - INKED - April 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 5th, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Making grief visible: When tattoos help cope with the loss of a loved one - CBC.ca - March 9th, 2021
- Rachit Jadoun - A Professional Tattoo Artist Is All Set To Make His Name In The Industry - Social News XYZ - March 9th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Celebrating five of Salisbury's independent salons and shops - Salisbury Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 5th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the offensive requests they refuse - Daily Star - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021
- Hublot Expands Its Classic Fusion Orlinski Collection With Two New Ceramic Watches - aBlogtoWatch - January 27th, 2021