Tattoos that fade away seem like the stuff of science fiction, a quirk of the wizarding world, or, to be more realistic, a poorly done tattoo. Growing up, if you wanted a tattoo you wouldnt be taking to the grave, you needed a pack of temporary tattoos from the nearest Walmart or from one of those 25 cent vending machines where every toy comes in a plastic egg. At Ephemeral, what used to be science fiction has become a reality, and a wet cloth or sponge is no longer needed to get the temporary tattoo of your dreams.
Ephemeral Tattoos in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, is the first tattoo studio of its kind, offering clients beautifully designed tattoos by actual tattoo artists without the long-term commitment. You read that right, real tattoos that are designed to fade away on purpose. This studio just might be every parents' collective dream.
CEO Jeff Liu and co-founder Josh Sakhai designed the studio to fight against the taboo nature of tattoos they grew up with in their households. "This company extends from a real desire to bridge the gap between conventional ink and temporary tattoos, making the artistry more accessible," Liu says. However, it was watching the painful ordeal of seeing a team member getting his tattoo removed that set the flame for Ephemeral alight. "What if tattoo ink was made to fade? The full tattoo experience minus the permanence?"
"The concept was based on microparticle encapsulation technology that was already well researched, so we believed that we could bring our vision of made-to-fade tattoos to the world," Sakhai explains. Two of Ephemerals five co-founders have PhDs in Chemical Engineering from NYU and started working on the formula back in 2014. After six years of research, 50 different formulations, and hundreds of tattoos, the ink was finally ready.
What makes traditional tattoos permanent is your body's inability to remove the large ink particles from the skin. The moment you get a tattoo, your body starts fighting the ink because it views it as a foreign object. With traditional ink, the molecules are too large to be broken down by the body, your body effectively "walls off" the area, and the ink stays put. Ephemeral's ink is designed to be broken down over time because of the smaller ink particles that work with the body's natural removal processes. Ephemeral's ink is composed of medical-grade, bio-absorbable, and biocompatible polymers with high-quality pigments that are routinely used in food and cosmetics.
"Ephemeral tattoo ink particles break down over time and become small enough to be removed by the body, Sakhai says. The rate at which this happens varies from person to person.The average rate for an Ephemeral tattoo to fade is currently nine to 15 months and depends on a large number of factors: skin type, placement, size and aftercare. "Fading looks a bit different on every one since everyone's skin is unique."
The studio fully embraces the "nothing lasts forever" mantra that Gen-Z has relished in recent years, proudly displaying "Regret Nothing" on its storefront and website. Even the name "Ephemeral" itself ties to the tattoos' fleeting nature, as the word means lasting for a short time.
"We see Ephemeral as an opportunity to celebrate our journeys through beautiful artwork that fades as we unfold," Sakhai says. "If there's one thing we know for sure, it's that we will change. Hairstyles, clothing choices, music taste, jobs these all evolve as we move through our own lives."
Tattoo prices range from $175 to $450. At this time, Ephemeral only offers small to medium size tattoos, and the only color available is black. However, there are plans to add color inks in the future. "Ephemeral tattoos are applied by real tattoo artists with real tattoo machinery, Liu says. Like traditional tattoos, Ephemeral tattoos are applied through an intrusive process in which the ink is being applied into the dermis layer by breaking open the skin. Clients are encouraged to design their pieces, and Ephemeral offers one-on-one consultations for clients who need help deciding. "The entire Ephemeral experience is centered around giving an authentic tattoo experience without any of the intimidation or pressure."
"We take aftercare seriously and have done extensive research into supplies and processes to best heal tattoos, Sakhai says, some of which are used in conventional tattoo aftercare." Clients receive aftercare goodie bags at the end of their appointments with products curated to ensure their tattoos heal beautifully within a period of around four-to-six weeks, roughly the same amount of time it takes a traditional tattoo to heal. Like traditional tattooing, clients can expect some redness, irritation and itchiness while their skin heals.
Sakhai views Ephemeral as the stepping stone clients can take before deciding on getting a permanent tattoo and a way to try pieces before making the final commitment. "For most of our clients, Ephemeral is the first introduction to the tattoo experience, he says. One thing we commonly hear in the studio is, wow, I'd love to get that permanently. This is one of the ways that Ephemeral benefits the tattoo industry by bringing in new clients who previously never would have gotten a permanent tattoowe're effectively breaking the tattoo seal."
Liu and Sakhai are incredibly proud of the inclusivity their space provides for clients new to getting tattoos. "The entire Ephemeral experience is centered around giving an authentic tattoo experience without any of the intimidation or pressure," Liu explains. "Ephemeral was an opportunity to address this question and redirect the future of the tattoo industry by creating a new category of tattoos expanding the industry to make it more inclusive and approachable to everyone, including those who were previously turned off by the idea of permanence."
In the age of COVID, Ephemeral has ensured their artists' and clients' health and safety are their top priorities. "Our team goes above and beyond CDC recommendations and government guidelines to ensure we provide a safe experience for all," Liu says. In addition to regular deep cleanings, the studio is currently working within an appointment-only model, and tattoos occur in private booths. Ephemeral's artists get routinely tested for COVID. Clients are required to sign a COVID contract and exposure form before their appointments with a temperature check when they arrive. Masks are also worn at all times.
"Now more than ever, the world needs authentic forms of self-expression and inspiring experiences," Liu explains. "We've observed that being able to enter a new world for an hour or two to experience something as deeply personal as getting a tattoo is the retreat many people are craving. And unlike merchant retail, service retail cannot be fulfilled with digital."
Although the studio has only been open since March, Liu expects to have plenty of clients return for more tattoos in the future. "Whether it's the made-to-fade ink, the incredible artists, the inclusive culture, or the beautiful space, we're grateful to be the first to offer made-to-fade ink to the world."
While their tattoos will fade, Ephemeral is anything but temporary. The team plan to expand beyond their Williamsburg location in the future, looking at their clients' demands to scout their next locations based on where clients are placing their reservations."We view Ephemeral as a global brand, Liu says. And we are committed to realizing our vision of a world where everybody is a canvas for limitless self-expression."
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- People think theyre better than me or assume Im stupid because Im a single mum with 95% of my body cover... - The Sun - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 5th, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Making grief visible: When tattoos help cope with the loss of a loved one - CBC.ca - March 9th, 2021
- Rachit Jadoun - A Professional Tattoo Artist Is All Set To Make His Name In The Industry - Social News XYZ - March 9th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Celebrating five of Salisbury's independent salons and shops - Salisbury Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 5th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the offensive requests they refuse - Daily Star - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021
- Hublot Expands Its Classic Fusion Orlinski Collection With Two New Ceramic Watches - aBlogtoWatch - January 27th, 2021