Written by Jacqui Palumbo, CNN
The practice of inking one's skin has a complex history, and like other forms of art, its own set of cultural traditions and ephemera, including early tools, historical paintings and ethnographic photographs, and more recently, illustrations of designs -- called "flash sheets" -- by famous living artists.
And, like fine art, tattooing has its own market for such objects, as well as its own museums. The Daredevil Museum in New York City and San Francisco's Lyle Tuttle Tattoo Studio and Museum -- named after the legendary tattoo artist and celebrity favorite, who in his time inked the likes of Cher and Janis Joplin -- are just a couple of examples.
Tattoo artist Henk Schiffmacher has one of the largest private collections of tattoo ephemera and artifacts in the world, which he showcases in the new book "Tattoo. 1730s-1970s." Credit: Rudi Huisman/TASCHEN
Dutch tattoo artist Henk Schiffmacher, whose past clients include Lady Gaga, Kurt Cobain and Keith Haring, said in a recent video interview that the internet has created a whole new audience for ink.
"Everybody all of a sudden wants to make a little museum... or is diving into the history of tattoo," said Schiffmacher, whose personal collection of some 40,000 objects and artworks related to tattoos, one of the world's largest, is featured in the new book "Tattoo. 1730s-1970s. Henk Schiffmacher's Private Collection."
His collection includes Japanese woodblock prints of tattooed 19th-century Kabuki characters; tattoo chisels made of wood and bones from the early 1900s; posters and black-and-white photographs of tattooed women at traveling carnivals; and an endless number of designs from over the centuries.
"There are a lot of serious collectors now," Schiffmacher, who has been tattooing since the 1970s, said of tattoo ephemera. "And that's a good part of the internet -- that we are able to see what other people have. It's become a very different ball game."
This photograph of tattooed peformer Artoria Gibbons was taken in the 1920s. Gibbons worked for circus sideshows, dime museums and carnivals for decades. Credit: Courtesy of the Schiffmacher Tattoo Heritage/TASCHEN
Schiffmacher briefly housed his collection -- the Schiffmacher Tattoo Heritage -- in the brick-and-mortar Amsterdam Tattoo Museum, before it closed due to financial reasons. His home, which he shares with his wife and business partner Louise van Teylingen, is now filled with his treasures from different points in history, including the rise of tattooing during Japan's Edo period, the 19th-century tribal tattoos of the Indigenous Mori, and the proliferation of modern parlors in the West following World War II.
"I am what I call the poor man's Rembrandt. (Tattooing) is the art of the common man," he said. "It's not like a highly intellectual type of thing. It's very easy to read, and it has symbols for you. A simple tattoo -- a person with an anchor or with a heart or with a rose -- is communication."
A lifelong collector
Schiffmacher, whose father was a butcher, became interested in collecting tattoo art before becoming an artist himself. As he recalls in his book, he has considered himself a "magpie" of sorts since childhood, when he amassed flints and arrowheads and birds' eggs, hanging a sign on the door to his room that read, "My Museum."
Tattoo designs by legendary British tattoo artist Rich Mingins, ca. 1950s-60s. Credit: Courtesy of the Schiffmacher Tattoo Heritage/TASCHEN
Born in 1952 in the small Dutch city of Harderwijk, Schiffmacher traveled to Amsterdam in his early 20s, where he befriended renowned artist Tattoo Peter. At the same time, he was nurturing a new interest in photography, particularly Diane Arbus's black-and-white portraits of so-called "eccentrics," which included heavily tattooed people. Schiffmacher began seeking out strangers to photograph, and one man in particular who spent his nights at local watering holes caught his attention.
"He was really an extreme drunk," Sciffmacher said. "He had all these fantastic tattoos. And although he didn't have good communication because of his alcohol problem, he communicated so much when I looked at the little slides (I had taken of him), and saw all these tattoos. The tattoos tell little bits of this man's life."
American tattoo artist Charlie Wagner, center, with a tattooed woman and American sailor, ca. 1930s. Credit: Courtesy of the Schiffmacher Tattoo Heritage/TASCHEN
"In the early '70s, tattooing in Holland was quite exceptional, especially (for) people with a lot of tattoos. You wouldn't see them too much," Schiffmacher said. "So it's not like today; the whole world is tattooed now. But in those days, you really had to know the person to try to find them."
Schiffmacher started corresponding with other artists, exchanging his photographs for their drawings. When he began tattooing shortly after, he traveled to other countries extensively to be inked by his contemporaries. He visited their shops and traded art and scoured local antique shops for new finds.
As his reputation as an artist and collector of tattoo memorabilia grew, rare works, objects and tip-offs began finding their way to him. (During the interview with Schiffmacher, van Teylingen joined to show a new package they had just received with tattoo designs from an unknown artist.)
From shops to museums
Museums have also come calling to borrow parts of Schiffmacher's collection, including Amsterdam's Tropenmuseum and the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles. Some of his objects have traveled with the exhibition that opened as "Tatoueurs, Tatous" ("Tattooists, Tattooed") at the Muse du Quai Branly Jacques Chirac in Paris in 2015, which touched down at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto and The Field Museum Chicago, among others.
Rare tattoo album by the Japanese tattoo artist K. Akamatsu, ca. 1910s. Credit: Courtesy of the Schiffmacher Tattoo Heritage/TASCHEN
He called it "an intense experience." (The head has since been returned to New Zealand and is housed at the national museum, known as "Te Papa," according to Schiffmacher.)
Portrait of a Mori woman with chin moko and feather from the huia bird, ca. 1900s. Credit: Courtesy of the Schiffmacher Tattoo Heritage/TASCHEN
"Tattoos communicate in the same way whether you're alive or dead, so for many Mori, being confronted with one of these heads is like having an ancestor talk to them," he explained.
Today, Schiffmacher still considers his tattoos to be a form of communication that has given him access he would have never otherwise had.
"It is a passport into different cultures," he said. "I have been to all kinds of situations in the world (where my tattoos) made the introduction.
"And that's what tattoos are: an invitation to communicate with someone else," he added.
Top caption: Hand-colored photograph of a tattooed messenger, by Italian-British photographer Felice Beato, ca. 18641867.
The rest is here:
See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN
- Hair stylist and cosmetic tattoo artist moves studio to larger space in Easton - The Morning Call - June 1st, 2021
- 'USA Ink': How tattoos have left their mark on our history, culture - Fox News - June 1st, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - June 1st, 2021
- Penticton tattoo artist has dedicated his life to the craft - Penticton News - Castanet.net - June 1st, 2021
- Where Was Ninja Assassin Filmed? 2009 Movie Filming Locations - The Cinemaholic - June 1st, 2021
- Red Table Talk: Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow and Gammy Get Matching Tattoos - TooFab - June 1st, 2021
- Pittsburgh Pride Events Are Back, And There's No Shortage Of Ways To Celebrate - 90.5 WESA - June 1st, 2021
- Developments in Development: A new cafecito spot, La Muerte in the Mission, and affordable housing waitlist - Mission Local - June 1st, 2021
- Top International Fashion News of the Week | 30.05.21 - The Trend Spotter - June 1st, 2021
- Helping those who ensure dignity to the Covid dead - The Tribune India - June 1st, 2021
- Fantasy Island Reboot Teaser Arrives, a New Adventure Begins on Fox This Summer - TVweb - June 1st, 2021
- Briana DeJesus introduces her fiance Javi Gonzalez to Teen Mom 2 fans - Monsters and Critics - June 1st, 2021
- 15 places to check out on Sterling Road in Toronto - blogTO - June 1st, 2021
- Tattoo beauty strips in tiny tank top snap to show off hundreds of inkings - Daily Star - June 1st, 2021
- The CW Fall 2021-22 Schedule: The Flash & Riverdale Unite, 4400 Lands On Monday, Batwoman, Nancy Drew & Legends Of Tomorrow On The Move &... - June 1st, 2021
- Reality TV show focused on North-East salon returns for third season - The Northern Echo - May 20th, 2021
- Lil Uzi Vert and JT Appear to Have Gotten Tattoos of Each Others Names - Complex - May 20th, 2021
- Angels of the North series 3 confirmed as BBC show expands to to feature tattoo studio and gym - Chronicle Live - May 20th, 2021
- The dos and don'ts of aftercare to ensure your tattoo looks its best - Euro Weekly News - May 20th, 2021
- What's Open, What's Closed: Avoca Coffee, Italian cafe among new businesses headed to Denton this summer - Denton Record Chronicle - May 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything is Temporary at Ephemeral Tattoo - INKED - April 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- People think theyre better than me or assume Im stupid because Im a single mum with 95% of my body cover... - The Sun - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Making grief visible: When tattoos help cope with the loss of a loved one - CBC.ca - March 9th, 2021
- Rachit Jadoun - A Professional Tattoo Artist Is All Set To Make His Name In The Industry - Social News XYZ - March 9th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021