A neo-Nazi enthusiast - who has a distinctive tattoo of a word on his forehead - inflicted horrific violence on his roommate for a shocking reason.
Michael Shayne Halcrow and Gavin Daniel Menzies did not interact with each other and sat on separate sides of the dock during their sentencing at Brisbane District Court on Tuesday.
Both received jail terms of four-and-a-half years but with time already served, they will be eligible for parole over the next month.
Halcrow, 41, who has a distinctive tattoo of the word damaged across his forehead and long hair, sat silently through proceedings.
Menzies, dressed in a black suit and sporting several face tattoos, did not react through the sentencing.
Both men pleaded guilty to burglary, assault occasioning actual bodily harm in company, threatening violence and armed robbery in company.
Halcrow, 38, also pleaded guilty to a raft of other charges including fraud, stealing, possessing dangerous drugs and utensils and failing to safely dispose of a syringe.
The court was told Halcrow, Menzies and the victim were living in the same home in East Brisbane in May 2019.
On May 10, the pair kicked down the door of the victims room demanding to know the location of a missing T-shirt depicting a Nazi swastika.
Crown prosecutor Michael Gawrych said the pair kept the victim in the room for hours, brandishing wooden batons while punching and abusing him.
It culminated in Menzies, 41, pushing his thumb into the victims stitched wound, causing immense pain and demanding he get in a foetal position on the floor.
Mr Gawrych said the pair stole the victims phone and tablet which were later pawned.
When police arrived, Menzies threatened to bash the victims skull in if he did not stay hidden.
It was thuggish behaviour over a T-shirt, he said.
The victim barricaded himself in the room after the incident, too scared to answer the door when officers arrived.
Police located drugs, utensils, a used syringe and Nazi paraphernalia when they searched Halcrows property in September that year.
Mr Gawrych said Halcrow had also stolen a bicycle and helmet in April 2019 which were pawned.
During interviews, Halcrow denied his offending but Menzies made some admissions to police.
Mr Gawrych said a face mask depicting Adolf Hitler and a copy of Nazi manifesto Mein Kampf were found by police during the search.
The court was told the items had different meanings for Halcrow, who is from New Zealand.
But Judge Michael Byrne rejected the claim after seeing multiple photographs of Nazi paraphernalia that were found at his home.
He clarified it was not an offence to own the material and Halcrow was not being sentenced for any perceived affiliation to neo-Nazism.
It does provide a background as to why the offending occurred, Judge Byrne said.
The extent of the material... showed you had some interest in the area but youre not being sentenced for that.
Halcrow told a psychiatrist in February 2021 that he did not affiliate with neo-Nazism.
His defence lawyer, Cecelia Bernardin, said her client had a lesser involvement than Menzies and was using the drug ice daily at the time.
He does accept the offending would have been a very terrifying experience, she said.
She said Halcrow suffered from depression and PTSD and had struggled after separating from his partner and losing a friend who took his own life.
Nick Bennett, acting for Menzies, said the offending came in the backdrop of traumatic events in his life.
He said Menzies was thrown into an open fire by his father when he was young, resulting in his parents separation, and he was exposed to heavy drug use and criminal activity through his life.
By Grade 8 he was using heroin and was expelled in Grade 9 he hasnt returned to mainstream education since, Mr Bennett said.
Mr Bennett said Menzies found refuge in a Punk subgroup but spiralled further into substance addiction.
Judge Byrne sentenced both men to four-and-a-half years jail with a non-parole period of 18 months.
Their periods in pre-sentence custody since 2019 was declared as time served.
Go here to read the rest:
Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow
- People magazine got it wrong with Paul Rudd. Pete Davidson is the Sexiest Man Alive - Toronto Star - November 13th, 2021
- Berber tattoos on the decline in Morocco - Africanews English - November 2nd, 2021
- Movember to kick-off 15th year of supporting men's mental health and wellbeing in Canada - AM800 (iHeartRadio) - November 2nd, 2021
- What its really like to be a Hooters Girl: Men think they can treat you a certain way - The Independent - November 2nd, 2021
- A detailed look at the dating history of Pete Davidson - The Tab - November 2nd, 2021
- Summer days at the beach, in Israel and Gaza - Ynetnews - November 2nd, 2021
- Why Are NFL Players So Obsessed With The Dark Knight? - The Ringer - November 2nd, 2021
- Torn jeans, tattoos and parental taboos J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - October 9th, 2021
- 2 Men Killed In I-80 Hit-And-Run In North Highlands; Search Still On For Driver - CBS Sacramento - October 9th, 2021
- Lower-Back Tattoos Are Back - The Cut - October 9th, 2021
- 8 Best Places To Get A Tattoo for Both Men and Women - TheTealMango - October 9th, 2021
- Say Aye Aye for the Bay With Oakland Rapper Capolow - KQED - October 9th, 2021
- Dwayne The Rock Johnson Explains the Evolution of His Iconic Brahma Bull Tattoo - EssentiallySports - October 9th, 2021
- CHP searching for hit-and-run driver after 2 men killed in I-80 crash - KTXL FOX 40 Sacramento - October 9th, 2021
- China is cracking down on 'effeminate' men, private tutors and gaming. Here's what that tells us about Xi Jinping's vision - ABC News - September 5th, 2021
- Menopause isnt just something experienced by women its lived by men, too... - The US Sun - September 5th, 2021
- 21 Creative Leo Tattoo Ideas That Have Big Fire-Sign Energy - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- Tattoos and the Olympics - Reporter-Times - August 10th, 2021
- FBoy Island Contestant Divij Vaswani on How to Spot an FBoy and His Hopes of Being the First Indian Bachelor - Yahoo Entertainment - August 10th, 2021
- Meghan releases 40th birthday video with Melissa McCarthy - discussing tattoos, a Suits reunion and tree photo shoots - Sky News - August 10th, 2021
- 300+ Inspirational Tattoo Quotes For Men (2021) Short ... - July 26th, 2021
- Caeleb Dressel on the precipice of becoming the next Michael Phelps - Los Angeles Times - July 26th, 2021
- Hairline Tattooing and What You Need to Know - menshealth.com - July 26th, 2021
- Police find man dead in Savannah. But who is he? They need your help to find out - WJCL News - July 26th, 2021
- Manchester United's Mason Greenwood explains the thinking behind his tattoos - Manchester Evening News - July 26th, 2021
- Love Islands Abigail will have head turned in Casa Amor claims best friend as he reveals she likes OLDER... - The Sun - July 26th, 2021
- Love Is Blind: Meet 5 Kenyan Men Who Have Dated Socialite Amber Ray Kenya News - Tuko.co.ke - July 26th, 2021
- The Nottinghamshire working men's club that has been going strong for nearly 100 years - Nottinghamshire Live - July 26th, 2021
- The names and mugshots of Lancashire's FIVE most wanted men - Lancashire Telegraph - July 26th, 2021
- Viral Therapist Shows Men's 'Audacity' on Dating Apps, Including Requests to be Submissive - Newsweek - June 30th, 2021
- This BBQ Pitmaster Is Competing on Food NetworkWith a Three Percenter Tattoo - Daily Beast - June 30th, 2021
- Why Harley Quinn's Face Tattoo Is Missing In The Suicide Squad - TVOvermind - June 30th, 2021
- Men who come to this BGC salon want their brows shaped and still look 'brusko' - ANCX - June 30th, 2021
- The Tattoo Industry Is Changing and Queer-Owned Spaces Are Leading the Charge - POPSUGAR - June 30th, 2021
- Love Island fans convinced Chloe will choose Jake - as teaser clip suggests major shakeup in the villa - Bristol Live - June 30th, 2021
- The full list of all the new shows and movies coming to Netflix in July - JOE.ie - June 30th, 2021
- Kennedy Teams Up With AFL Legend Dustin Martin On Exclusive Watch Collection - DMARGE - June 13th, 2021
- Euro 2020: Gab Marcotti's players to know, cult heroes on all 24 teams - ESPN - June 13th, 2021
- 3 Things to Think About Before You Get Your First Tattoo - menshealth.com - May 8th, 2021
- Tom Dunne's Music & Me: The axe-men cometh, and they've got loads of effects pedals - Irish Examiner - May 8th, 2021
- 'Tattoos look like skin disease': The prejudice people still face and the artists fighting it - Wales Online - May 8th, 2021
- Two shoppers may have witnessed moment man, 23, was stabbed to death - Liverpool Echo - May 8th, 2021
- Wrath of Ritchie - Splice Today - May 8th, 2021
- My Teen Is About to Fall Down the Male-Power Incel Rabbit Hole - Slate - May 8th, 2021
- Scar Stories: The Toll of Colon Cancer - GQ Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Come With Us on a Journey to Explore the Post Malone Tattoo Cosmos - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021