Michael Shayne Halcrow has been sentenced in an Australian court. Photo / Supplied
A Kiwi neo-Nazi and his friend robbed, threatened and bashed their roommate in a terrifying home altercation over a missing extremist T-shirt, an Australian court was told.
New Zealander Michael Shayne Halcrow and Gavin Daniel Menzies did not interact with each other and sat on separate sides of the dock during their sentencing at Brisbane District Court on Tuesday.
Both received jail terms of four and a half years but with time already served, they will be eligible for parole over the next month.
Halcrow, 41, who has long hair and a distinctive tattoo of the word "damaged" across his forehead, sat silently through proceedings.
Menzies, dressed in a black suit and sporting several face tattoos, did not react through the sentencing.
Both men pleaded guilty to burglary, assault occasioning actual bodily harm in company, threatening violence and armed robbery in company.
Halcrow, 38, also pleaded guilty to fraud, stealing, possessing dangerous drugs and utensils and failing to safely dispose of a syringe.
The court was told Halcrow, Menzies and the victim were living in the same home in East Brisbane in May 2019.
On May 10, the pair kicked down the door of the victim's room demanding to know the location of a missing T-shirt depicting a Nazi swastika.
Crown prosecutor Michael Gawrych said the pair kept the victim in the room for hours, brandishing wooden batons while punching and abusing him.
8 Mar, 2021 09:46 PMQuick Read
8 Mar, 2021 07:07 PMQuick Read
8 Mar, 2021 06:16 PMQuick Read
7 Mar, 2021 12:01 AMQuick Read
It culminated in Menzies, 41, pushing his thumb into the victim's stitched wound, causing "immense pain" and demanding he get in a foetal position on the floor.
Gawrych said the pair stole the victim's phone and tablet, which were later pawned.
When police arrived, Menzies threatened to bash the victim's skull in if he did not stay hidden.
"It was thuggish behaviour over a T-shirt," he said.
The victim barricaded himself in the room, too scared to answer the door when police arrived.
Officers found drugs, utensils, a used syringe and Nazi paraphernalia when they searched Halcrow's property in September that year.
Gawrych said Halcrow had also stolen a bicycle and helmet in April 2019, which were pawned.
During interviews, Halcrow denied his offending but Menzies made admissions to police.
Gawrych said police found a face mask depicting Adolf Hitler and a copy of Nazi manifesto Mein Kampf.
The court was told the items had different meanings for Halcrow, who is from New Zealand.
But Judge Michael Byrne rejected the claim after seeing multiple photographs of Nazi paraphernalia that were found at his home.
He clarified it was not an offence to own the material and Halcrow was not being sentenced for any perceived affiliation to neo-Nazism.
"It does provide a background as to why the offending occurred," Judge Byrne said.
"The extent of the material showed you had some interest in the area but you're not being sentenced for that."
Halcrow told a psychiatrist in February this year that he did not affiliate with neo-Nazism.
His defence lawyer, Cecelia Bernardin, said her client had a lesser involvement than Menzies and was using methamphetamine daily at the time.
"He does accept the offending would have been a very terrifying experience," she said.
She said Halcrow suffered from depression and PTSD and had struggled after separating from his partner and losing a friend who took his own life.
Nick Bennett, acting for Menzies, said the offending came in the backdrop of traumatic events in his life.
He said Menzies was thrown into an open fire by his father when he was young, resulting in his parents' separation, and he was exposed to heavy drug use and criminal activity through his life.
"By Grade 8 he was using heroin and was expelled in Grade 9. He hasn't returned to mainstream education since," Bennett said.
Bennett said Menzies found refuge in a punk subgroup but spiralled further into substance addiction.
Judge Byrne sentenced both men to four and a half years' jail with a non-parole period of 18 months.
Their time in pre-sentence custody since 2019 was declared as time served.
See original here:
Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald
- Torn jeans, tattoos and parental taboos J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - October 9th, 2021
- 2 Men Killed In I-80 Hit-And-Run In North Highlands; Search Still On For Driver - CBS Sacramento - October 9th, 2021
- Lower-Back Tattoos Are Back - The Cut - October 9th, 2021
- 8 Best Places To Get A Tattoo for Both Men and Women - TheTealMango - October 9th, 2021
- Say Aye Aye for the Bay With Oakland Rapper Capolow - KQED - October 9th, 2021
- Dwayne The Rock Johnson Explains the Evolution of His Iconic Brahma Bull Tattoo - EssentiallySports - October 9th, 2021
- CHP searching for hit-and-run driver after 2 men killed in I-80 crash - KTXL FOX 40 Sacramento - October 9th, 2021
- China is cracking down on 'effeminate' men, private tutors and gaming. Here's what that tells us about Xi Jinping's vision - ABC News - September 5th, 2021
- Menopause isnt just something experienced by women its lived by men, too... - The US Sun - September 5th, 2021
- 21 Creative Leo Tattoo Ideas That Have Big Fire-Sign Energy - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- Tattoos and the Olympics - Reporter-Times - August 10th, 2021
- FBoy Island Contestant Divij Vaswani on How to Spot an FBoy and His Hopes of Being the First Indian Bachelor - Yahoo Entertainment - August 10th, 2021
- Meghan releases 40th birthday video with Melissa McCarthy - discussing tattoos, a Suits reunion and tree photo shoots - Sky News - August 10th, 2021
- 300+ Inspirational Tattoo Quotes For Men (2021) Short ... - July 26th, 2021
- Caeleb Dressel on the precipice of becoming the next Michael Phelps - Los Angeles Times - July 26th, 2021
- Hairline Tattooing and What You Need to Know - menshealth.com - July 26th, 2021
- Police find man dead in Savannah. But who is he? They need your help to find out - WJCL News - July 26th, 2021
- Manchester United's Mason Greenwood explains the thinking behind his tattoos - Manchester Evening News - July 26th, 2021
- Love Islands Abigail will have head turned in Casa Amor claims best friend as he reveals she likes OLDER... - The Sun - July 26th, 2021
- Love Is Blind: Meet 5 Kenyan Men Who Have Dated Socialite Amber Ray Kenya News - Tuko.co.ke - July 26th, 2021
- The Nottinghamshire working men's club that has been going strong for nearly 100 years - Nottinghamshire Live - July 26th, 2021
- The names and mugshots of Lancashire's FIVE most wanted men - Lancashire Telegraph - July 26th, 2021
- Viral Therapist Shows Men's 'Audacity' on Dating Apps, Including Requests to be Submissive - Newsweek - June 30th, 2021
- This BBQ Pitmaster Is Competing on Food NetworkWith a Three Percenter Tattoo - Daily Beast - June 30th, 2021
- Why Harley Quinn's Face Tattoo Is Missing In The Suicide Squad - TVOvermind - June 30th, 2021
- Men who come to this BGC salon want their brows shaped and still look 'brusko' - ANCX - June 30th, 2021
- The Tattoo Industry Is Changing and Queer-Owned Spaces Are Leading the Charge - POPSUGAR - June 30th, 2021
- Love Island fans convinced Chloe will choose Jake - as teaser clip suggests major shakeup in the villa - Bristol Live - June 30th, 2021
- The full list of all the new shows and movies coming to Netflix in July - JOE.ie - June 30th, 2021
- Kennedy Teams Up With AFL Legend Dustin Martin On Exclusive Watch Collection - DMARGE - June 13th, 2021
- Euro 2020: Gab Marcotti's players to know, cult heroes on all 24 teams - ESPN - June 13th, 2021
- 3 Things to Think About Before You Get Your First Tattoo - menshealth.com - May 8th, 2021
- Tom Dunne's Music & Me: The axe-men cometh, and they've got loads of effects pedals - Irish Examiner - May 8th, 2021
- 'Tattoos look like skin disease': The prejudice people still face and the artists fighting it - Wales Online - May 8th, 2021
- Two shoppers may have witnessed moment man, 23, was stabbed to death - Liverpool Echo - May 8th, 2021
- Wrath of Ritchie - Splice Today - May 8th, 2021
- My Teen Is About to Fall Down the Male-Power Incel Rabbit Hole - Slate - May 8th, 2021
- Scar Stories: The Toll of Colon Cancer - GQ Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Come With Us on a Journey to Explore the Post Malone Tattoo Cosmos - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021
- WWE news: The Rock's incredible 30-year body transformation - GIVEMESPORT - February 6th, 2021
- Man Robbed Restaurant That Refused To Serve Him For Not Wearing A Mask | KFI AM 640 - KFI AM 640 - February 6th, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc: Rebecca's Husband Zied Before & After Weight Loss Transformation - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Amber Heard Reacts To Marilyn Manson Allegations, Connects Them To Johnny Depp - PerezHilton.com - February 6th, 2021
- Hall of boyfriends: All the men Jeffree Star trapped into a relationship Film Daily - Film Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Dispatches: Now Is the Perfect Time To Visit Tahiti - Men's Journal - February 2nd, 2021
- Post Malone's 'Imperial' Haircut Is The Hottest Men's Grooming Trend Right Now - DMARGE - February 2nd, 2021