DR. WALLACE: When I was a young teen in love, I had a friend give me a tattoo on the back of my left hand and another one on the inside of my right wrist. Now, Im quite sure you have heard this many times, but as the years have passed, I have come to regret these tattoos more and more with every passing day. One of the big problems I have is that they are so noticeable, since they are both on or very near my hands, and every time I meet someone new, they want to look at my tattoos and ask me what their meaning is to me.
So, Im stuck! I dont want to lie to someone Ive just met, but I also dont want to go through my whole long, sad story about why I got them in the first place and what the original meaning of them was. Lets just say the whole situation was a big mistake on my part, and I will spare you the details.
Now I am thinking about removing these two tattoos. My soon-to-be wife wants me to remove at least the one that has another womans name spelled out ... ouch!
Is it easy enough to have a tattoo removed? What is the rough cost, and is it more painful to have one removed than it was to have it applied there in the first place? Mistake of my Lifetime, via email
MISTAKE OF MY LIFETIME: A skin laser can be used to remove these tattoos, and for what it is worth, Id suggest that if you are adamant about getting one removed, you should get them both removed at the same time. Bite the bullet, both financially and in terms of pain, and start your marriage with a clean slate. The tough news to hear is that this will cost anywhere from $150 to $1,500, and it can take multiple sessions to fully remove.
The Mayo Clinic suggests that local anesthesia be used for tattoo removal. Q-switched lasers, ones that release energy in a single, powerful pulse, are quite often the treatment of choice for tattoo removal. A special type of laser called a Q-switched Nd:YAG can be used on darker skin to avoid changing the skins pigment permanently. Obviously, the process of removing a tattoo is time-consuming, expensive and painful. Here is what the Mayo Clinic says about the laser procedure:
Before laser treatment, the skin is numbed with an injection of a local anesthetic. Then a powerful pulse of energy is applied to the tattoo to heat and shatter the tattoo ink. Multicolored tattoos might need treatment with various lasers and different wavelengths.
After the procedure, you might notice swelling and possibly blistering or bleeding. Antibacterial ointment can help promote healing. Youll likely need repeated sessions to lighten the tattoo, and it might not be possible to completely erase the tattoo.
After reading all of this information, I hope that all individuals considering having a tattoo placed on their body take the time to use the carpenters rule: Measure twice; cut once. This means to be certain that you wish to proceed with something that may end up becoming permanent or nearly permanent.
Tattoos are and will continue to be a popular part of our current culture. My suggestion is to focus carefully in advance on the content of any particular tattoo. Although tattoo removal may be an option for some people, others find very skilled tattoo artists who can change or morph one tattoo into a new one that changes or hides the original content!
We are making critical coverage of the coronavirus available for free. Please consider subscribing so we can continue to bring you the latest news and information on this developing story.
Dr. Robert Wallace welcomes questions from readers. Although he is unable to reply to all of them individually, he will answer as many as possible in this column. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. To find out more about Dr. Robert Wallace and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate
Read more here:
- 33 Celebrities Who Regret Their Tattoos - Women's Health - April 5th, 2021
- Spaces Making Up 'the Interstitium' Are Connected | NYU Langone News - NYU Langone Health - April 5th, 2021
- Cleveland, OH: Ink On Ink Off | Tattoo Artist & Removal ... - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal: How Much Lasering a Tattoo Costs and Hurts ... - March 9th, 2021
- 9 Factors That Determine Tattoo Removal Success - March 9th, 2021
- Latest technology offered - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Soliton Announces Initiation of Second Animal Study for Potential RAP Treatment of Liver Fibrosis - inForney.com - March 9th, 2021
- Regretting a tattoo? These are your options when it comes to getting rid of it - Fashion Journal - February 20th, 2021
- Soliton Named Best New Technology Award at the Aesthetic Industry Association Board Meeting - PRNewswire - February 20th, 2021
- Britains most tattooed woman covers half her skin with make-up to show what she looks like without ink - The Sun - February 8th, 2021
- Pure Ink Tattoo Studios - NJ Premier Tattoo Studio - February 6th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - February 6th, 2021
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Tattoo Removal | Glamour - February 6th, 2021
- Integrity Ink Provides Fast, Effective, and Affordable Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal in Crosby, TX with the Astanza Trinity Laser - GlobeNewswire - January 27th, 2021
- Free tattoo removal event helps give people a clean break with past - Stockton Record - January 20th, 2021
- As Statues Of America's Racist Past Were Removed This Year, So Were Tattoos - NPR - December 31st, 2020
- New tattoo shop open in Torrington - The Torrington Telegram - December 28th, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: Best Season 3 Episodes, According To IMDb - TheThings - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Celebs Who Refuse To Get Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson Is Allegedly Getting All of His Tattoos Removed Details - Allure - December 19th, 2020
- 15 Best Tattoo Removal Creams That Works: 2020 Buyer's Guide - December 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Face Tattoos, Ranked - TheGamer - December 18th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal Machine Market status and outlook: 2021 business development plans by companies, industry trends and restraints, market share and... - December 16th, 2020
- Why Kat Von D Covered Up Her Tattoos - PopCrush - December 16th, 2020
- What you need to know before getting a white tattoo - The Saxon - November 27th, 2020
- S.I. orange zone: This could be the end of my business, says gym owner - silive.com - November 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: These businesses will close if NYC becomes an orange zone - SILive.com - November 20th, 2020
- The MedSpa on 5th Removes Unwanted Tattoos and Skin Blemishes with the Astanza Duality in Mount Dora, Florida - PRNewswire - November 10th, 2020
- The 'healing' power of tattoos - by artist who says studios are like confession booths - Birmingham Live - November 8th, 2020
- Celebrity tattoos that will inspire you to get inked - Times Now - November 5th, 2020
- E-dermis Magnetic Tattoo Removal An Alternative Way of Tattoo Elimination - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - November 4th, 2020
- How to Remove Fresh Tattoo Ink from Skin - Tips to remove ... - November 1st, 2020
- Panacea Tattoo Removal Offers a Second Chance with Laser Tattoo Removal Featuring the Astanza Duality in Grand Junction, CO - PRNewswire - November 1st, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal: From Prep to Aftercare, Heres What to Expect - HYPEBAE - October 28th, 2020
- Best Tattoo Removal Treatments NJ | Laser Tattoo Treatment ... - October 21st, 2020
- Non laser Tattoo Removal: The most easy and cost effective way to remove tattoo - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - October 9th, 2020
- Reynolds ink: Why Rabbitohs skipper wants to 'start again' with tats - Sydney Morning Herald - October 8th, 2020
- What To Expect When You Get a Tattoo - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 4th, 2020
- Chinese Taxi Drivers Ordered To Remove Tattoos - INKED - September 28th, 2020
- What You Need to Know Before Tattoo Removal - - RushPRnews.com - September 25th, 2020
- Bizarre: 44-year-old with several body modifications gets his nose removed to look like 'Human Satan' - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- These innovative regimes and therapies are worth booking well in advance - Connecticut Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How to, Costs, Before and After Pictures ... - August 26th, 2020
- Tattoo removal - Mayo Clinic - August 26th, 2020
- Tattoo Blowout: Appearance, Treatments, and More - August 26th, 2020
- Hackensack Medical Laser - Tattoo Removal New Jersey - August 26th, 2020
- Best Tattoo Removal NJ: Get Rid of Tattoos Today! - August 26th, 2020
- TikToker gets freckle tattoosand it goes horribly wrong - The Daily Dot - August 20th, 2020
- National Tattoo Removal Day: INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist And Hate Tattoos For Free - Latin Times - August 13th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal Market Rapidly Growing in Healthcare, Competitor Analysis, Complete Study of Current Trends and Forecast 2020-2023 - The Daily... - August 13th, 2020
- Removery's INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist and Hate Tattoos For Free - PRNewswire - August 12th, 2020
- Groupons offering free removal to ink fans who have a tattoo of the wrong star sign following Nasas 13th hor - The Sun - July 15th, 2020