Near Rick's Cafe on Martin Luther King Drive stands a humble Starkville business which differs from that of a typical college town. The staff is only made up of one individual who has brought expression and creativity to his craft for over two decades.
James "Chris" Callicott is the owner and sole employee of Vintage Tattoo. Born in Jackson, Mississippi, and raised in Hernando, Mississippi, Callicot experimented with many different types of artistic mediums growing up. He never planned on pursuing tattoo artistry as a career, but he could not imagine his life with any other career now.
"I started out as a janitor and a watchdog, then everything went up from there," Callicott said.
Callicott has worked in the industry for around 25 years. He started working in Southaven, Mississippi, and then spent a few years in Arizona. He was bouncing around from city to city until he took over Vintage Tattoo from a close friend and settled here in Starkville. He claims to have acquired the shop to go in a better direction than it originally was.
"It was a random chance that I ended up here ... opportunity, I guess," Callicott said.
Callicott also yearns to put an end to the stereotype of tattoo shops being "predatory" against women and minorities and make it an inclusive environment where artistry is to be celebrated and welcoming to all.
"I know a lot of good guys in this business ... but there is still a problem in certain places. Run it like a business, and make it inclusive instead of exclusive. I want everybody to be comfortable here," Callicott said.
Savanna Clardy, a junior elementary education major at Mississippi State University, has had a couple of bad experiences with tattoo and piercing shops. She praised Vintage Tattoo for a different experience.
"I think the guy that runs it is why it stands out, because he made the experience memorable and safe at the same time," Clardy said.
Callicott recalled a Friday night where the shop was full of smiling faces and kind words and people of various races and genders. He was excited to see the camaraderie and comfort that people found in Vintage Tattoo.
"It's like a concert. Nobody cares about what people there look like; Everyone is there to listen to the music," Callicott said.
Alli Norcross, a sophomore elementary education major at MSU, recalled her experience at Vintage Tattoo and Calicott's kindness during her visit.
"He constantly made sure I was okay since this was my first rib tattoo a notoriously painful placement and was so kind through the whole process," Norcross said.
In the time of COVID-19, almost every aspect of the tattoo industry has been affected. Callicott has seen an increase in his supplies and increased his rates. He does not allow walk-ins due to social-distancing laws, which has caused him to deal with many impatient clients.
"A third of our supplies are medical, and everything has either doubled or tripled in price. It changes the way you've done things for 20 or more years," Callicott said. "This is not the business to cut corners, either."
Callicott displayed enthusiasm for every part of his job but especially in regard to the hours he works. Being the sole employee, Callicott opens the shop around 1 p.m. and closes at midnight.
"I don't have to wake up in the morning, it's as simple as that!" Callicott said.
His least favorite part of the job is trying to talk people out of having a certain concept or idea tattooed on their body forever. He does this frequently, especially in terms of cover-ups or dead trends.
"People get a certain idea in their mind, and they are not gonna hear anything different," Callicott said.
When asked if he thinks college students have good taste in tattoos, Callicott said he was indifferent because taste is subjective. He believes it is an individualized thought process.
Ariana Collazo, a junior biological sciences major at MSU, has a brother who owns a tattoo parlor and has many tattoos himself. She spoke of the importance of having faith in your artist for such an intricate process.
"If you don't trust your artist, you don't need to be getting a tattoo," Collazo said.
Callicott wants everyone to know patience and trust in your artist is key to a smooth process.
"If something makes your spidey-senses go off, vote with your wallet. There are too many bad shops that do the wrong thing.The only way people learn is by being penalized financially," Callicott said.
Vintage Tattoo currently has over 10,600 posts on the shop's Instagram account (@VintageTattoo), and there is not one picture of Callicott himself. He claims this is because he wants to make it about the artistry and not himself.
Vintage Tattoo is open six days a week, promoting both artistry and inclusivity in its small corner of Starkville.
The rest is here:
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Houston - Kev's Best - February 20th, 2021
- Blood drive on March 15th in Hicksville - The Syosset Advance - February 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Forecast in Addition to Top key players like: Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors, and... - February 20th, 2021
- Market Assessment of Tattoo Ink Industry including Top Players like Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors,... - February 17th, 2021
- How River Raids work in Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Gamepur - February 17th, 2021
- Residents Encouraged To Donate Blood At Drive In Hicksville - Patch.com - February 15th, 2021
- Keep it Flowing: Combating COVID-19 Blood Shortages in Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - February 13th, 2021
- Optimistic Growth of Colored Tattoo Inks Market 2021 to High Demand NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 13th, 2021
- Halsey Doesn't Want To Go 'Overboard' On Pregnancy Cravings - OK! - February 10th, 2021
- Spray Covers Market Consumption Analysis, Business Overview and Upcoming Trends|Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply, Tommys Supplies, , , etc -... - February 8th, 2021
- Report Explained: How COVID-19 Has affected The Tattoo Market? | Survey on Future Scope by 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 8th, 2021
- Last Week in The Sentinel | Local News | sentinelsource.com - The Keene Sentinel - February 6th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 31st, 2021
- Then and Now: A look at Gardner's 'Main' menu - The Gardner News - January 31st, 2021
- All About Alev Aydin, Halsey's Boyfriend and Father of Her Child - ELLE.com - January 31st, 2021
- Still Red: Luna County lagging in response to COVID-19 "Red to Green" platform - The Deming Headlight - January 31st, 2021
- Global Tattoo Needles Market by Manufacturers, Types, Regions and Application Research Report Forecast to 2026 The Courier - The Courier - January 27th, 2021
- New Mexico Department Of Health County Map Update: Los Alamos Reaches Yellow Level; Almost Every County Improving In Health Metrics And Suppressing... - January 27th, 2021
- Remington Tattoo Parlor and Gallery Claims To Be The Best Option For Those Searching Online For "Female Tattoo Artists Near Me" In San Diego... - January 20th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2027: Tattoo Goo, Hustle Butter, Ora's Amazing Herbal etc. - KSU | The... - January 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Market 2020 | In-Depth Study On The Current State Of The Industry And Key Insights Of The Business Scenario By 2027 - FLA News - January 15th, 2021
- The Middle East and Africa dermatology treatment devices market is expected to reach US$ 317.68 million in 2027 from US$ 217.01 million in 2019 -... - January 15th, 2021
- McDonald's J Balvin merch line has been canceled due to production challenges, following the wild success of the chain's Travis Scott collab - Markets... - January 12th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Business Opportunities, Survey, Growth Analysis And Industry Outlook | Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommys Supplies, Kuro Sumi... - January 3rd, 2021
- World: Positive news in the difficult year of the pandemic - PRESSENZA International News Agency - January 3rd, 2021
- 32 Counties Operating At Red Level On Department Of Health County Map Including Los Alamos County - Los Alamos Reporter - January 3rd, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market (Europe and US) | What Recent Study Say About Top Companies - NeighborWebSJ - December 27th, 2020
- Market Size, Share and Manufacture covered Globally of Tattoo Market from 2020-2026 - The Monitor - December 27th, 2020
- Global Rotary Tattoo Machines Market 2020 Top Growing Companies Analysis and Segmentation Outlook till 2026 - The Monitor - December 19th, 2020
- Art supply drive for kids to be held Friday - KSNF/KODE - FourStatesHomepage.com - December 18th, 2020
- She was in Iraq when her son was killed. Four years later, the police have no leads. - Houston Chronicle - December 18th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 10th, 2020
- Colored Tattoo Inks Market Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application,Forecast (2020-2025) - The Courier - December 7th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 7th, 2020
- Yakuza Like A Dragon: Every Playable Character You Can Have in Your Party - TheGamer - November 30th, 2020
- TATSoul - Tattoo Supplies & Furniture - November 25th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast To 2025 - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla: 6 things you don't want to miss - CNET - November 20th, 2020
- Ailed Duarte on the unique pressures and pleasures of tattooing in Cuba - Roads and Kingdoms - November 18th, 2020
- Addiction Matters: How a heroin user-turned-hero saved so many others, but not himself - WWLTV.com - November 18th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- Despite pandemic, Bobby Natalini Jr. Blood Drive will continue to build supplies for Red Cross - The Times Herald - November 16th, 2020
- How Art Therapy Helped One Cancer Survivor Manage COVID-19 Lockdown - Curetoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and... - November 10th, 2020
- Governor adds new restrictions on gatherings - Government - vintontoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market 2026: Report Recent Trends and Growth Opportunities by Major Players Cloud Dragon (CN), Wujiang Shenli (CN), Magic Moon... - November 4th, 2020
- WHAT'S BEING PLANNED: McDonald's latest, tattoo parlour on the move and more - Swindon Advertiser - November 1st, 2020
- Incredible Generosity Makes Red Handed Tattoo in Shreveport the Nicest Place in Louisiana - Reader's Digest - November 1st, 2020
- Global Spray Covers Industry Statistics & Forecast to 2026 | Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply - re:Jerusalem - October 28th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Tattoo Machine Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra, Worldwide Tattoo Supply,... - October 24th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market by technology, solutions, application, price, demand analysis and growth opportunities to 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 24th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study... - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market Size, Production, Consumption, Export and Import, Growth Rate and Price Analysis by Types and Applications, Forecast to 2025 -... - October 14th, 2020
- Kern County could move to next tier, how industries are preparing - KERO 23ABC News - October 14th, 2020
- Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum Partners With Kingpin Tattoo Supplies For #SupportYourArtist - BevNET.com - October 10th, 2020
- Covid-19 has resurrected the woeful tech of home printers - Wired.co.uk - October 10th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Decal Paper Market based on types and application - GroundAlerts.com - October 7th, 2020
- Cuban Tattoo Art and the Challenges Ahead - Havana Times - October 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market 2020 |Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2026| Latest Research Report By... - September 30th, 2020
- Women tattoo artists make mark on industry in Boulder County - Longmont Times-Call - September 30th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market: 2020 Global Industry Size Share, Regional Analysis, End Users, Growth Insights, Top Key Players and Forecast To 2026 -... - September 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Tattoo Ink Market Analysis by Recent Trends and Growth by Region 2020| Intenze Tattoo Ink, Alla Prima, Kuro Sumi - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- Latest Research Report on Tattoo Ink Market To Exhibit Impressive Growth By 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 23rd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market research gain impetus due to the growing demand over (2020 2027) - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market Size, Type Analysis, Application Analysis, End-Use, Industry COVID-19 Impact on Analysis, Regions, Trends, Competitive Strategies... - September 22nd, 2020
- UL's Devon Pauley helping Cajuns make historic strides, while thoughts always with Lake Charles - The Advocate - September 22nd, 2020
- In Place of Police: The Oregon Experiment | by Krithika Varagur - The New York Review of Books - September 18th, 2020
- Restaurants, retail stores and office buildings will now be able to operate at 75 percent capacity - The Light and Champion - September 18th, 2020
- The Incredible Story of Zrichs Journey to Harm Reduction - Filter - September 9th, 2020
- WHEN TOURING STOPS: Musicians Find Other Ways to Work - Outburn - September 4th, 2020
- Man under investigation in fatal shooting after pro-Trump rally allegedly took loaded gun to earlier Portland - OregonLive - September 1st, 2020
- Many businesses gear up to reopen in Palm Beach County following executive order - WPBF West Palm Beach - September 1st, 2020
- Global Impact of Covid-19 on Tattoo Needles Market to Record Significant Revenue Growth During the Forecast Period 20202025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 1st, 2020
- Former Ballard Blossom is now covered in murals - My Ballard - August 30th, 2020
- LPD search for car thief caught on tape in local warehouse - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com - August 26th, 2020
- The Avalon Rooms, Witney, offers spiritual supplies and tattoos - Oxford Mail - August 22nd, 2020
- Outdoor services offer lifeline to South Bay salons struggling to survive - San Jos Spotlight - August 17th, 2020
- From the Desk of Palm Beach County Commissioner (District 4) Robert S Weinroth - The Boca Raton Tribune - August 17th, 2020
- Kingpin Tattoo Supply - August 12th, 2020
- COVID Recovery Grants Available to Barber Shop, Beauty Salon Owners - WKNO FM - August 12th, 2020