A dermal therapist shares their tattoo removal tips.
As a teenager, my mum told me not to do many things. When I asked to dye my hair black and if I could get a tongue piercing at 14, I was promptly and in no uncertain terms told that I could do whatever my heart desired when I was an adult. But the one thing my parents always said to never do, age aside? Get a tattoo.
Tattoos are forever, theyd tell me as I begged them, yearning to rebel against the conformity of my peers.While I am grateful my mum did not let me get a love heart permanently etched into my wrist at the age of 16 (oh the originality!), there is no denying that attitudes towards tattoos have changed quite dramatically in thelast few decades.
Looking to procrastinate in a productive way? Subscribe here and well send more great reads straight to your inbox.
With one in 5 Australians now having one or more tatts, social stereotypes around body art are changing quickly. No longer is it seen as a hindrance to getting a job or that youre intertwined with a bikie gang. Hey, even golden boy Harry Styles is tatted almost head to toe.
But whether you choose to get a tattoo for aesthetic, cultural or personal reasons or maybe just for the hell of it there is one commonality that they all share. They are permanent or at least they used to be.
With more people heading to the ink parlour than ever before, it stands to reason that many more are experiencing tattoo regret. According to one poll, 31 per cent of tattoo-havers regret the decision and while the only option to change a tattoo used to be getting it covered over with an even bigger one, now thanks to advances in technology tattoo removal is becoming a more common and widespread choice.
Like my love heart on the wrist idea, many people decide to get a tattoo when theyre younger or as a spur of the moment choice. Often, people just simply outgrow the design they used to love while others want to cover up the initials of a certain ex-partner. (Im looking at you, Johnny Depp.)
Whatever the reason, the demand for tattoo removal services has surged by 440 per cent in the last decade with one in 10 Australians choosing to getrid of their ink.
So, what are your options?
Over the last few decades, the amount of technologies and options cropping up has grown significantly in order to meet the ever-growing demand of people wanting to get a tattoo removed. But fade creams, acids, dermabrasion and even skin grafts have all been invasive and expensive treatments.
According to The Global Beauty Group, a beauty supplier to the aesthetic industry, the most modern, effective and least invasive way to get rid of your 18-year-old selfs mistake is through tattoo removal lasers.
And the best choice at the moment? Q-Switched lasers. Similar to hair removal lasers, the Q-Switched laser emits light that is absorbed into the melanin. But instead of breaking down the hair follicles, tattoo removal lasers breakup the pigment of the ink left in the skin, leaving your skin looking like youd actually listened to your mum in the first place.
Dermal therapist Elise Andrews explains that tattoo removal lasers work by using, high-intensity light that shatters the ink into smaller particles so that it can be effectively eliminated via our lymphatic system. Q-Switched lasers also minimise the risk of heat exposure which can result in skin damage and scarring.
Be warned though, Elise says that although different wavelengths can be used to target the various colours found in tattoos, some are much harder to remove than others (for example white cannot be removed and yellow, green and blue can also be difficult). Depending on the depth of the original tattoo, there also might be some scarring that is difficult to remove some things to consider next time you are toying with the idea of some new ink.
While this super-smart technology makes it sound quick, the whole process will take a number of months, even years. You are removing permanent ink thats been embedded into your skin, after all. Elise says that most clients will need around six to 12 treatments depending on the quality, size location and colour.
Because your skin needs time to heal, leaving gaps of six to eight weeks is also recommended.Its also not a particularly comfortable treatment either in fact, most find the tattoo removal process more painful than actually getting tattooed. Again, just something to keep in mind when you are whiling away the hours on your favourite tattoo artists Instagram feed.
According to Elise, the most important aspect of getting a tattoo removed is finding a qualified therapist. You should seek a trained clinician that specialises in tattoo removal. Ask whether they do it on a regular basis and if they are qualified.
Qualified therapists will have undergone training into skin physiology, laser safety and a tattoo removal course so will be able to answer any questions you may have in regards to removing a tattoo or fading it to a level where a cover-up may be possible.
While you were once stuck with your lingering feelings of tattoo regret permanently, thanks to technology such as laser tattoo removal services becoming widely accessible, we may see the number of people heading to the tattoo parlour rise even further.
Considering Australia is the second most tattooed country in the world, it wouldnt be surprising to see those stats go up even further and hey if I can change my mind, maybe I will try out that love heart tattoo after all. Sorry, Mum.
For more information about tattoo removal, head here.
Regretting a tattoo? These are your options when it comes to getting rid of it - Fashion Journal
- Regretful Heart Offers Laser Tattoo Removal and Tattoo Modification Using the Astanza Duality Laser in Richmond - GlobeNewswire - July 26th, 2021
- I, For One, Am Shocked That Pete Davidson Is Electing To Undergo Years Of Tattoo Removal - BroBible - July 10th, 2021
- Rihanna Seems to Have Covered Up Matching Shark Tattoo She Once Had With Drake - Teen Vogue - June 30th, 2021
- Delete salon helps those wanting to erase their ink - The Arizona Republic - June 30th, 2021
- UV Tattoo: What Is It? Safety and Choosing an Artist - Greatist - June 13th, 2021
- Laser Tattoo Removal Equipment Market is Projected to Expand at a Steady CAGR over the Forecast by 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - June 1st, 2021
- Tattoos and Art: The artists perspective - The Daily Star - June 1st, 2021
- Treatment, aftercare is part of plan for inmates with addiction in this jail - The Cincinnati Enquirer - May 20th, 2021
- Mastectomy Tattoos: Information, Health Risks, Ideas and More - GoodHousekeeping.com - May 8th, 2021
- 33 Celebrities Who Regret Their Tattoos - Women's Health - April 5th, 2021
- Spaces Making Up 'the Interstitium' Are Connected | NYU Langone News - NYU Langone Health - April 5th, 2021
- Cleveland, OH: Ink On Ink Off | Tattoo Artist & Removal ... - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal: How Much Lasering a Tattoo Costs and Hurts ... - March 9th, 2021
- DR. WALLACE: Removal an option for unwanted tattoos - Goshen News - March 9th, 2021
- 9 Factors That Determine Tattoo Removal Success - March 9th, 2021
- Latest technology offered - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Soliton Announces Initiation of Second Animal Study for Potential RAP Treatment of Liver Fibrosis - inForney.com - March 9th, 2021
- Soliton Named Best New Technology Award at the Aesthetic Industry Association Board Meeting - PRNewswire - February 20th, 2021
- Britains most tattooed woman covers half her skin with make-up to show what she looks like without ink - The Sun - February 8th, 2021
- Pure Ink Tattoo Studios - NJ Premier Tattoo Studio - February 6th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - February 6th, 2021
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Tattoo Removal | Glamour - February 6th, 2021
- Integrity Ink Provides Fast, Effective, and Affordable Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal in Crosby, TX with the Astanza Trinity Laser - GlobeNewswire - January 27th, 2021
- Free tattoo removal event helps give people a clean break with past - Stockton Record - January 20th, 2021
- As Statues Of America's Racist Past Were Removed This Year, So Were Tattoos - NPR - December 31st, 2020
- New tattoo shop open in Torrington - The Torrington Telegram - December 28th, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: Best Season 3 Episodes, According To IMDb - TheThings - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Celebs Who Refuse To Get Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - December 21st, 2020
- Pete Davidson Is Allegedly Getting All of His Tattoos Removed Details - Allure - December 19th, 2020
- 15 Best Tattoo Removal Creams That Works: 2020 Buyer's Guide - December 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Face Tattoos, Ranked - TheGamer - December 18th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal Machine Market status and outlook: 2021 business development plans by companies, industry trends and restraints, market share and... - December 16th, 2020
- Why Kat Von D Covered Up Her Tattoos - PopCrush - December 16th, 2020
- What you need to know before getting a white tattoo - The Saxon - November 27th, 2020
- S.I. orange zone: This could be the end of my business, says gym owner - silive.com - November 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: These businesses will close if NYC becomes an orange zone - SILive.com - November 20th, 2020
- The MedSpa on 5th Removes Unwanted Tattoos and Skin Blemishes with the Astanza Duality in Mount Dora, Florida - PRNewswire - November 10th, 2020
- The 'healing' power of tattoos - by artist who says studios are like confession booths - Birmingham Live - November 8th, 2020
- Celebrity tattoos that will inspire you to get inked - Times Now - November 5th, 2020
- E-dermis Magnetic Tattoo Removal An Alternative Way of Tattoo Elimination - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - November 4th, 2020
- How to Remove Fresh Tattoo Ink from Skin - Tips to remove ... - November 1st, 2020
- Panacea Tattoo Removal Offers a Second Chance with Laser Tattoo Removal Featuring the Astanza Duality in Grand Junction, CO - PRNewswire - November 1st, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal: From Prep to Aftercare, Heres What to Expect - HYPEBAE - October 28th, 2020
- Best Tattoo Removal Treatments NJ | Laser Tattoo Treatment ... - October 21st, 2020
- Non laser Tattoo Removal: The most easy and cost effective way to remove tattoo - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - October 9th, 2020
- Reynolds ink: Why Rabbitohs skipper wants to 'start again' with tats - Sydney Morning Herald - October 8th, 2020
- What To Expect When You Get a Tattoo - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 4th, 2020
- Chinese Taxi Drivers Ordered To Remove Tattoos - INKED - September 28th, 2020
- What You Need to Know Before Tattoo Removal - - RushPRnews.com - September 25th, 2020
- Bizarre: 44-year-old with several body modifications gets his nose removed to look like 'Human Satan' - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- These innovative regimes and therapies are worth booking well in advance - Connecticut Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How to, Costs, Before and After Pictures ... - August 26th, 2020
- Tattoo removal - Mayo Clinic - August 26th, 2020
- Tattoo Blowout: Appearance, Treatments, and More - August 26th, 2020
- Hackensack Medical Laser - Tattoo Removal New Jersey - August 26th, 2020
- Best Tattoo Removal NJ: Get Rid of Tattoos Today! - August 26th, 2020
- TikToker gets freckle tattoosand it goes horribly wrong - The Daily Dot - August 20th, 2020
- National Tattoo Removal Day: INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist And Hate Tattoos For Free - Latin Times - August 13th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal Market Rapidly Growing in Healthcare, Competitor Analysis, Complete Study of Current Trends and Forecast 2020-2023 - The Daily... - August 13th, 2020
- Removery's INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist and Hate Tattoos For Free - PRNewswire - August 12th, 2020
- Groupons offering free removal to ink fans who have a tattoo of the wrong star sign following Nasas 13th hor - The Sun - July 15th, 2020