Photo credit: Amy Sussman/BBMA2020 - Getty Images
From Men's Health
After a 1.5 second Google search, we can say with near absolute uncertainty that, as of this moment, in 2021, the hip-hop, trap, and so-many-other-genre artist, Post Malone, currently has 78 identifiable tattoos. The real number, however, is likely higher, given his tattoos come in groups and given many likely live out their Post Malone existence covered always by clothing. Well call it 100 with an asterisk.
Open canvas space on Posts body has been shrinking for some time. And the compulsion to add ink hasnt always been a healthy one. In an interview with GQ earlier last year, Post explained that his decision to tattoo his face might have grown out of insecurity: I'm a ugly-ass motherfucker. [Tattooing the face] does maybe come from a place of insecurity, to where I don't like how I look, so I'm going to put something cool on there so I can look at myself and say, You look cool, kid, and have a modicum of self-confidence, when it comes to my appearance.
Posts tattoos, however, should not all be associated with mental health struggles; many reflect the artists history, his muses, and his aesthetic tastes. Still, we hope that Post leaves some negative space on his body canvassand that hes working through some of the difficulties which spurred him to fill in those other regions.
Here is every Post Malone tattoo that we could identify.
Many of Posts face tattoosaside from making him interesting to look at and perhaps stemming from issues of self-confidencealso exist to piss off his own mother.
Lets start with the right side of his face/head/neck. Moving down from the corner of his right eye vertically: a smiley face with x eyes, a Playboy bunny, and a heart. He reportedly got some of these tattoos to annoy his mom. With his brother, he also got the number 7 on each side of his nose. Parallel to the small tats are a hammer, a sword, because, again, what better [way] to make my mom mad? Also: swords are fucking awesome. Over the right eye are blackjack cards and underneath the cards are the words stay away. While its obscured by his hair, Post also has a giant skull on the right side of his own skull. By his ear, Post has gauntlet and flail weaponry which extends down to his jaw.
Connecting both sides of his face is barbed wire, tattooed across his forehead. Also spanning both sides are the words always tired, inked under both eyes, split by his nose.
Moving to the left side. On his left temple and extending to his ear, Post wears a Japanese design resembling waves. Below that and next to tire, he has a bloody buzzsaw. Beside the buzzsaw is a skull with devil horns and covering most of the right side of his head is the head of medusa-like figure. On the left side of his head are also a giant spider and a castle on the back. Behind both ears, Post has the outlines of the two states he grew up in: New York and Texas.
Moving down to the neck, Post wears two large eagles, one in black (left side) and one in white (right side). Stony, the name of one of his albums, is written on his chin, and a bison skull covers most of his throat.
Across his collarbone, Post wears a a sword, tattooed to look like its stabbing him through the neck (once again: swords are fucking awesome"). Under his left collarbone is a Dallas Cowboys football helmet, and under the right is a pair of what looks like eyeball dice.
Over his right pec is zombie Jesus (as he told GQ: Jesus is very handsome, so I figured how can we make him super metal?) Post also has new mural art over his left pec and extending across his stomach. Its unclear what the illustration depicts exactly, though it appears to be an antlered man leading an army of undead.
Moving down to Posts ribs, we find a skull and crossbones on the left ribcage and Master Shake from Aqua Teen Hunger Force on his right side.
On his stomach is the Cold War phrase Kill a commie for mommy, and spanning his whole stomach is the Greek phrase Molon labe (written in Greek), Spartan King Leonidass response to Xerxes when asked to lay down his weapons: come and take them.
We're not sure if Post has back tattoos.
Working our way down from Posts right shoulder, we find prayer hands holding a handgun extending down his arm. On the inside of his right bicep is a melting red face with an eyeball popping out. (Who knows.) Next to that is a Gallenson's Gun Shop logo. Lower down on the bicep is the word PATIENT, the name of one of Posts records. On his right forearm is a minuteman soldier with a knight fighting from atop a horse beneath. And near that is Post himself fighting atop a horse. On the inner forearm is another skull, this time wearing a samurai helmet. And finally, on his right elbow, is an unfinished Lord of the Rings tattoosupposedly a Sauron character.
Posts left arm is just as much a collage. The largest tattoos are four portraits. The first, in the prayer hands spot, is Johnny Cash. (Floating by cash is a Miraak Mask from the Elder Scrolls game.) On his bicep, Post has Bob Dylan playing the harmonica. Post wears a second portrait of Kurt Cobain by his left elbow. (Theres also a Roman centurion design there.) And finally, on his left arm is Lil Peep.
Moving down his left arm we find a snake coiled around a rifle, reportedly recognizing Posts second amendment rights. In the same spirit is the dont tread on me rattlesnake also on the left arm. (In a Rolling Stone interview: [Guns are] fun, theyre practical, and bad shit happens. If you hurt me, I'm gonna hurt you back.) On his upper left forearm is also one of Posts earliest tattoos, a large Playboy bunny. The bottom part of his forearm is absolutely covered. It features a skull shaded with the Texas flag, a Motrhead logo and then a bunch of stuff we can't identify, all surrounding the words so far so good so what by his left wrist and "Posty Co" on the wrist.
Were probably missing a bunch here. Oh well.
Moving on to Posts hands. Barbed wire extends across both sets of knuckles as does the phrase rest easya word on each hand. Both hands also feature portraits of other musicians; their faces are inked between the barbed wire and the letters. Musicians on his fingers, his personal music inspirations: John Lennon, George Harrison, Elvis Presley, Kurt Cobain, Dimebag Darrell, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Bankroll Fresh. He also has the Cartier logo on a finger and the letters S and F on his thumbs. Meaning unknown.
Posts right hand features the head of a grizzly bear. His right palm has another skull and crossbones as well as the wordNevermind, the name of a Nirvana album. On his left hand in the bear spot, Post wears St. Jude standing over a skeleton, next to which is a portrait of John F. Kennedy, next to which is the Anheuser-Busch log. On his left palm, Post has Whatever, which, combined with his rights Nevermind alludes to the Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit. (The line: Oh well, whatever, nevermind.)
(For more on Post Malone and Nirvana, check out this full set of Nirvana covers he performed for charity last year)
The tattoo asteroid belt opens up a bit once we get to Posts legslikely the next major canvas for the musician.
On his right thigh, Post has another skull, this time coming out of cigarette smoke and captioned smoke sum. Opposite on his left thigh is another skull, this time wearing police riot gear and captioned to serve and protect. (He has yet another skull wearing a headdress on his right ankle and another skull in metal armor by a table with flowers just above that.)
Post wears several fictional characters on his legs, including Belle and the Beast (left calf), Vault Boy from the video game Fallout (left calf), and Kagome Higurashi from the manga series 'Inuyasha' (left leg).
Finally, Post has a gun on over left knee, some unidentifiable tattoos on both ankles, and a Skyrim logo on his left foot.
We probably missed one or one hundred. Well keep this updated as we learn more.
You Might Also Like
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021
- WWE news: The Rock's incredible 30-year body transformation - GIVEMESPORT - February 6th, 2021
- Man Robbed Restaurant That Refused To Serve Him For Not Wearing A Mask | KFI AM 640 - KFI AM 640 - February 6th, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc: Rebecca's Husband Zied Before & After Weight Loss Transformation - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Amber Heard Reacts To Marilyn Manson Allegations, Connects Them To Johnny Depp - PerezHilton.com - February 6th, 2021
- Hall of boyfriends: All the men Jeffree Star trapped into a relationship Film Daily - Film Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Dispatches: Now Is the Perfect Time To Visit Tahiti - Men's Journal - February 2nd, 2021
- Post Malone's 'Imperial' Haircut Is The Hottest Men's Grooming Trend Right Now - DMARGE - February 2nd, 2021
- You Shall Not Pass: Fandom & The Gatekeeping of Femme Fans - Fandom Spotlite - February 2nd, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Man accused of beating and shooting shopper who bumped into him - wreg.com - January 31st, 2021
- Broken Justice: How Spokane County officials threw an innocent man behind bars and allowed the real killer to go free - Pacific Northwest Inlander - January 30th, 2021
- Is Alev Aydin Halsey's Baby Daddy? What You Need To Know About The Writer-Producer - OK! - January 30th, 2021
- A Home Heating Crisis. A Devastating Forest Fire Waiting to Happen. One Innovative Solution. - Slate - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021
- Shortly after I began converting to Judaism, I found myself in a hot tub full of neo-Nazis - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - January 25th, 2021
- Far-right Proud Boys who idolise Donald Trump are operating in Scotland - Daily Record - January 25th, 2021
- Jake Ryan reveals how he prepared to play a gang leader in New Zealand film Savage - Nine - January 25th, 2021
- Kevin Owens Gives Roman Reigns A Personal Reason About Why He Won't Stop Fighting - Wrestling Inc. - January 25th, 2021
- 2 people from Western Pennsylvania charged in connection with Capitol riot - WTAE Pittsburgh - January 25th, 2021
- 'The right thing to do': Worcester County Jail and House of Correction staff, inmates grateful to receive COVID-19 vaccine - Worcester Telegram - January 25th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- The moment MLKs daughter and a former neo-Nazi formed an unlikely friendship - Face2Face Africa - January 22nd, 2021
- UK lotto winner shares photo of her bizarre bum tattoos on Instagram - NEWS.com.au - January 22nd, 2021
- Williams: We can agree to disagree, but let's do it with civility - The Winchester Star - January 22nd, 2021
- Madhya Pradesh: View the aesthetic side of Dewar, Rabari nomads, which Bhopal museum has showcased for you - Free Press Journal - January 22nd, 2021
- 'This Is Awesome!': Another Proud Boys Leader Arrested for Storming U.S. Capitol - The Daily Beast - January 22nd, 2021
- Texas bikers say cops have unfairly labeled them as gang members - Houston Chronicle - January 22nd, 2021
- Looking for business in the front and a party in the back? Ashley Medina is Lansing's mullet maestro - WSYM-TV - January 20th, 2021
- US Capitol riots: The coded tattoos and flags, and the far-right stories they tell - Stuff.co.nz - January 20th, 2021
- Diplo Strips Down To Surf, Shows Off His Amazing Bod And Tats - OK! - January 20th, 2021
- After the Capitol riot, one Florida man became 'Podium Guy': Another man turned him in - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2021
- How four lads on a night out became a viral meme these men from Birmingham are internet famous! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - January 20th, 2021
- The Aroma of Progress at the Court of Master Sommeliers - Vinography - January 20th, 2021
- Blood donor study could help lift restrictions for gay and bisexual men - PhillyVoice.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Ariana Grande Relationship Timeline : Pete Davidson to Dalton Gomez, Dating History. Read all about it here! - Stanford Arts Review - January 3rd, 2021
- "Why I stopped drinking alcohol at the age of 26" - cosmopolitan.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Andrew Tracey - Men's health UK - January 3rd, 2021
- Police agencies seeking public's help after pair of thieves hits four jewelry stores - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 3rd, 2021
- The life and death of Billy Baggett: Part I - Street Roots News - December 28th, 2020
- FDA considers lifting restrictions on blood donations by gay and bi men - WPSD Local 6 - December 28th, 2020
- Taiwan in Time: The first Truku convert - - December 27th, 2020
- My Messed-Up Family Drove Me to the Other Side of the World for Christmas - The Daily Beast - December 25th, 2020
- What if the biggest games of 2020 had Christmas spin-offs? - PCGamesN - December 25th, 2020
- Peaky Blinders filming is returning - and they need extras from the North - Times & Star - December 19th, 2020
- All of us here have killed someone The New Mutants - tor.com - December 19th, 2020