Photo credit: Amy Sussman/BBMA2020 - Getty Images
From Men's Health
After a 1.5 second Google search, we can say with near absolute uncertainty that, as of this moment, in 2021, the hip-hop, trap, and so-many-other-genre artist, Post Malone, currently has 78 identifiable tattoos. The real number, however, is likely higher, given his tattoos come in groups and given many likely live out their Post Malone existence covered always by clothing. Well call it 100 with an asterisk.
Open canvas space on Posts body has been shrinking for some time. And the compulsion to add ink hasnt always been a healthy one. In an interview with GQ earlier last year, Post explained that his decision to tattoo his face might have grown out of insecurity: I'm a ugly-ass motherfucker. [Tattooing the face] does maybe come from a place of insecurity, to where I don't like how I look, so I'm going to put something cool on there so I can look at myself and say, You look cool, kid, and have a modicum of self-confidence, when it comes to my appearance.
Posts tattoos, however, should not all be associated with mental health struggles; many reflect the artists history, his muses, and his aesthetic tastes. Still, we hope that Post leaves some negative space on his body canvassand that hes working through some of the difficulties which spurred him to fill in those other regions.
Here is every Post Malone tattoo that we could identify.
Many of Posts face tattoosaside from making him interesting to look at and perhaps stemming from issues of self-confidencealso exist to piss off his own mother.
Lets start with the right side of his face/head/neck. Moving down from the corner of his right eye vertically: a smiley face with x eyes, a Playboy bunny, and a heart. He reportedly got some of these tattoos to annoy his mom. With his brother, he also got the number 7 on each side of his nose. Parallel to the small tats are a hammer, a sword, because, again, what better [way] to make my mom mad? Also: swords are fucking awesome. Over the right eye are blackjack cards and underneath the cards are the words stay away. While its obscured by his hair, Post also has a giant skull on the right side of his own skull. By his ear, Post has gauntlet and flail weaponry which extends down to his jaw.
Connecting both sides of his face is barbed wire, tattooed across his forehead. Also spanning both sides are the words always tired, inked under both eyes, split by his nose.
Moving to the left side. On his left temple and extending to his ear, Post wears a Japanese design resembling waves. Below that and next to tire, he has a bloody buzzsaw. Beside the buzzsaw is a skull with devil horns and covering most of the right side of his head is the head of medusa-like figure. On the left side of his head are also a giant spider and a castle on the back. Behind both ears, Post has the outlines of the two states he grew up in: New York and Texas.
Moving down to the neck, Post wears two large eagles, one in black (left side) and one in white (right side). Stony, the name of one of his albums, is written on his chin, and a bison skull covers most of his throat.
Across his collarbone, Post wears a a sword, tattooed to look like its stabbing him through the neck (once again: swords are fucking awesome"). Under his left collarbone is a Dallas Cowboys football helmet, and under the right is a pair of what looks like eyeball dice.
Over his right pec is zombie Jesus (as he told GQ: Jesus is very handsome, so I figured how can we make him super metal?) Post also has new mural art over his left pec and extending across his stomach. Its unclear what the illustration depicts exactly, though it appears to be an antlered man leading an army of undead.
Moving down to Posts ribs, we find a skull and crossbones on the left ribcage and Master Shake from Aqua Teen Hunger Force on his right side.
On his stomach is the Cold War phrase Kill a commie for mommy, and spanning his whole stomach is the Greek phrase Molon labe (written in Greek), Spartan King Leonidass response to Xerxes when asked to lay down his weapons: come and take them.
We're not sure if Post has back tattoos.
Working our way down from Posts right shoulder, we find prayer hands holding a handgun extending down his arm. On the inside of his right bicep is a melting red face with an eyeball popping out. (Who knows.) Next to that is a Gallenson's Gun Shop logo. Lower down on the bicep is the word PATIENT, the name of one of Posts records. On his right forearm is a minuteman soldier with a knight fighting from atop a horse beneath. And near that is Post himself fighting atop a horse. On the inner forearm is another skull, this time wearing a samurai helmet. And finally, on his right elbow, is an unfinished Lord of the Rings tattoosupposedly a Sauron character.
Posts left arm is just as much a collage. The largest tattoos are four portraits. The first, in the prayer hands spot, is Johnny Cash. (Floating by cash is a Miraak Mask from the Elder Scrolls game.) On his bicep, Post has Bob Dylan playing the harmonica. Post wears a second portrait of Kurt Cobain by his left elbow. (Theres also a Roman centurion design there.) And finally, on his left arm is Lil Peep.
Moving down his left arm we find a snake coiled around a rifle, reportedly recognizing Posts second amendment rights. In the same spirit is the dont tread on me rattlesnake also on the left arm. (In a Rolling Stone interview: [Guns are] fun, theyre practical, and bad shit happens. If you hurt me, I'm gonna hurt you back.) On his upper left forearm is also one of Posts earliest tattoos, a large Playboy bunny. The bottom part of his forearm is absolutely covered. It features a skull shaded with the Texas flag, a Motrhead logo and then a bunch of stuff we can't identify, all surrounding the words so far so good so what by his left wrist and "Posty Co" on the wrist.
Were probably missing a bunch here. Oh well.
Moving on to Posts hands. Barbed wire extends across both sets of knuckles as does the phrase rest easya word on each hand. Both hands also feature portraits of other musicians; their faces are inked between the barbed wire and the letters. Musicians on his fingers, his personal music inspirations: John Lennon, George Harrison, Elvis Presley, Kurt Cobain, Dimebag Darrell, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Bankroll Fresh. He also has the Cartier logo on a finger and the letters S and F on his thumbs. Meaning unknown.
Posts right hand features the head of a grizzly bear. His right palm has another skull and crossbones as well as the wordNevermind, the name of a Nirvana album. On his left hand in the bear spot, Post wears St. Jude standing over a skeleton, next to which is a portrait of John F. Kennedy, next to which is the Anheuser-Busch log. On his left palm, Post has Whatever, which, combined with his rights Nevermind alludes to the Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit. (The line: Oh well, whatever, nevermind.)
(For more on Post Malone and Nirvana, check out this full set of Nirvana covers he performed for charity last year)
The tattoo asteroid belt opens up a bit once we get to Posts legslikely the next major canvas for the musician.
On his right thigh, Post has another skull, this time coming out of cigarette smoke and captioned smoke sum. Opposite on his left thigh is another skull, this time wearing police riot gear and captioned to serve and protect. (He has yet another skull wearing a headdress on his right ankle and another skull in metal armor by a table with flowers just above that.)
Post wears several fictional characters on his legs, including Belle and the Beast (left calf), Vault Boy from the video game Fallout (left calf), and Kagome Higurashi from the manga series 'Inuyasha' (left leg).
Finally, Post has a gun on over left knee, some unidentifiable tattoos on both ankles, and a Skyrim logo on his left foot.
We probably missed one or one hundred. Well keep this updated as we learn more.
You Might Also Like
Come With Us on a Journey to Explore the Post Malone Tattoo Cosmos - Yahoo Lifestyle
- China is cracking down on 'effeminate' men, private tutors and gaming. Here's what that tells us about Xi Jinping's vision - ABC News - September 5th, 2021
- Menopause isnt just something experienced by women its lived by men, too... - The US Sun - September 5th, 2021
- 21 Creative Leo Tattoo Ideas That Have Big Fire-Sign Energy - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- Tattoos and the Olympics - Reporter-Times - August 10th, 2021
- FBoy Island Contestant Divij Vaswani on How to Spot an FBoy and His Hopes of Being the First Indian Bachelor - Yahoo Entertainment - August 10th, 2021
- Meghan releases 40th birthday video with Melissa McCarthy - discussing tattoos, a Suits reunion and tree photo shoots - Sky News - August 10th, 2021
- 300+ Inspirational Tattoo Quotes For Men (2021) Short ... - July 26th, 2021
- Caeleb Dressel on the precipice of becoming the next Michael Phelps - Los Angeles Times - July 26th, 2021
- Hairline Tattooing and What You Need to Know - menshealth.com - July 26th, 2021
- Police find man dead in Savannah. But who is he? They need your help to find out - WJCL News - July 26th, 2021
- Manchester United's Mason Greenwood explains the thinking behind his tattoos - Manchester Evening News - July 26th, 2021
- Love Islands Abigail will have head turned in Casa Amor claims best friend as he reveals she likes OLDER... - The Sun - July 26th, 2021
- Love Is Blind: Meet 5 Kenyan Men Who Have Dated Socialite Amber Ray Kenya News - Tuko.co.ke - July 26th, 2021
- The Nottinghamshire working men's club that has been going strong for nearly 100 years - Nottinghamshire Live - July 26th, 2021
- The names and mugshots of Lancashire's FIVE most wanted men - Lancashire Telegraph - July 26th, 2021
- Viral Therapist Shows Men's 'Audacity' on Dating Apps, Including Requests to be Submissive - Newsweek - June 30th, 2021
- This BBQ Pitmaster Is Competing on Food NetworkWith a Three Percenter Tattoo - Daily Beast - June 30th, 2021
- Why Harley Quinn's Face Tattoo Is Missing In The Suicide Squad - TVOvermind - June 30th, 2021
- Men who come to this BGC salon want their brows shaped and still look 'brusko' - ANCX - June 30th, 2021
- The Tattoo Industry Is Changing and Queer-Owned Spaces Are Leading the Charge - POPSUGAR - June 30th, 2021
- Love Island fans convinced Chloe will choose Jake - as teaser clip suggests major shakeup in the villa - Bristol Live - June 30th, 2021
- The full list of all the new shows and movies coming to Netflix in July - JOE.ie - June 30th, 2021
- Kennedy Teams Up With AFL Legend Dustin Martin On Exclusive Watch Collection - DMARGE - June 13th, 2021
- Euro 2020: Gab Marcotti's players to know, cult heroes on all 24 teams - ESPN - June 13th, 2021
- 3 Things to Think About Before You Get Your First Tattoo - menshealth.com - May 8th, 2021
- Tom Dunne's Music & Me: The axe-men cometh, and they've got loads of effects pedals - Irish Examiner - May 8th, 2021
- 'Tattoos look like skin disease': The prejudice people still face and the artists fighting it - Wales Online - May 8th, 2021
- Two shoppers may have witnessed moment man, 23, was stabbed to death - Liverpool Echo - May 8th, 2021
- Wrath of Ritchie - Splice Today - May 8th, 2021
- My Teen Is About to Fall Down the Male-Power Incel Rabbit Hole - Slate - May 8th, 2021
- Scar Stories: The Toll of Colon Cancer - GQ Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021
- WWE news: The Rock's incredible 30-year body transformation - GIVEMESPORT - February 6th, 2021
- Man Robbed Restaurant That Refused To Serve Him For Not Wearing A Mask | KFI AM 640 - KFI AM 640 - February 6th, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc: Rebecca's Husband Zied Before & After Weight Loss Transformation - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Amber Heard Reacts To Marilyn Manson Allegations, Connects Them To Johnny Depp - PerezHilton.com - February 6th, 2021
- Hall of boyfriends: All the men Jeffree Star trapped into a relationship Film Daily - Film Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Dispatches: Now Is the Perfect Time To Visit Tahiti - Men's Journal - February 2nd, 2021
- Post Malone's 'Imperial' Haircut Is The Hottest Men's Grooming Trend Right Now - DMARGE - February 2nd, 2021
- You Shall Not Pass: Fandom & The Gatekeeping of Femme Fans - Fandom Spotlite - February 2nd, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Man accused of beating and shooting shopper who bumped into him - wreg.com - January 31st, 2021
- Broken Justice: How Spokane County officials threw an innocent man behind bars and allowed the real killer to go free - Pacific Northwest Inlander - January 30th, 2021
- Is Alev Aydin Halsey's Baby Daddy? What You Need To Know About The Writer-Producer - OK! - January 30th, 2021
- A Home Heating Crisis. A Devastating Forest Fire Waiting to Happen. One Innovative Solution. - Slate - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021