Margaret Allen|Hays Daily News
Chris Norris grew up in a house on W. 6th Street in Hays, so moving his tattoo and piercing shop to the heart of downtown is just going back to his neighborhood.
Sore Loser, the body arts shop that established its name at the corner of 8th and Vine streets 13 years ago, will move to 1008 Main sometime this spring.
Thats not all thats changing.
From what people tell me, the Sore Loser name, I hate to say iconic, but its well-known, said Norris, talking recently about the move. It was fun back in 07 when we opened up, but you kind of grow up a little bit, and I kind of want to go, not in a different direction, but just slightly off the path were on right now.
As Blue Light Body Arts, the shops new name conjures the captivating local history of Elizabeth Polly. Known fondly as the Blue Light Lady, theblue auraof Pollys ghost, its said, still walks the hill south of town where she was buried in 1867 after succumbing to cholera while nursing Fort Hays soldiers dying of the epidemic.
Yeah, its a huge thing here. I grew up hearing about it, said Norris, a 1992 graduate of Hays High School. I mean who didnt walk out in the country looking for her grave? Its a neat story that has to do with Hays, specifically.
Being on Main Street opens up new opportunities for the business, which has three tattoo artists, two body piercersand a piercing apprentice.
I dont have much foot traffic here, he said of his Vine Street location. I want to get that person walking by that wouldnt really think about it, and tease their brain a little. Theres been such a stigma with tattoos and piercings over the years, but thats kind of gone by the wayside. We pierce most everything, its perfectly fine with us.
Customers range in age from 7 on up, to older folks getting their first tattoo or piercing. But the heart of the business is the 18-to-25 college-aged crowd, he said.
Norris also looks forward to being part of the lively Main Street business district, The Bricks in Downtown Hays.
With big plate glass windows onto Main Street, the piercers and tattoo artists can display their work for downtown shoppers. And Blue Light Body Arts will also be a part of special downtown events, particularly the Art Walk, hosted quarterly by the Hays Arts Council.
Norris hopes to showcase his studios artists, two of whom are graduates of the Fort Hays State University art program, during Art Walk, when Main Street hosts local art and entertainment.
Norris spent some time finding the right storefront.
I looked around for about the past five years of getting downtown, he said. Everyone sees the revitalization going on. I like it. It gives a really good feel.
Formerly The Bluetique, a womens clothing store, the space was the first he looked at. It was one of 18 commercial buildings downtown owned by Plainville businessman Chuck Comeaus DFC Holdings Inc. Prices were more affordable, Norris said, when he bought the space from Bank of Hays after DFC Holdings 2019 bankruptcy.
Now the shop can focus on expanding.
Tattooing will always be there. Thats just solid, Norris said, noting the shop has about a 50/50 or 60/40 split of tattooing to piercing.
We have the college crowd, that stands the test of time, youre always gonna have kids that want to come in and they want shiny stuff, he said. Theyre just trying to get different things, whats not normal in small-town Kansas.
Norris has spent the last seven years ramping up his jewelry quality, to where now the items in the jewelry case are pretty much all titanium or gold, and from U.S. manufacturers with lifetime warranties on craftsmanship.
Thats a big selling point, he said. We have a little something for everyone. I try to be inclusive with everybodys budget.
He hopes to expand the jewelry offerings 25% to 50%, particularly the yellow, rose and white gold section, with a lot of variety in size and price. As for stones, while there are options like synthetic opals, most everything will be cubic zirconia, Norris said. But he also plans to expand into genuine diamonds.
The new location expands the size of the studio from 1,800 square feet to 3,000 square feet on two stories. He also hopes to expand the hours and days of operation.
Piercing will be downstairs, with tattooing upstairs. A spare room downstairs will meet Americans with Disabilities Act standards, and also serve a makeup artist who applies permanent cosmetics, like eyeliner and eyebrows.
Norris will sell his building at 8th and Vine once the studio moves out. He hopes that will be in April or May.
Theres quite a bit of work to be done to get it up to state standards for tattoo and piercing establishments, Norris said. That means no porous floors, so all the carpet came out.
The open space on the ground floor will have wall dividers for individual rooms, each with its own sink.
Upstairs, on the second floor, will be pit-style, with one open room and privacy screens, at the tattooers request.
Thats what they want to do, he said. I think they feed off one another artistic-wise and everything else. Its good for them to see each others work daily, and clients can see what other people are doing.
General contractor for the remodel is Commercial Builders Inc., 2717 Canal Blvd., but Norris will do some of the work too, including installing hardwood floors for a turn-of-the-century look.
I think that we can tie in well to the other businesses down there, Norris said. I want to have a really healthy relationship with everyone there, and everyone I talk to is pretty excited about us coming down.
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything is Temporary at Ephemeral Tattoo - INKED - April 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- People think theyre better than me or assume Im stupid because Im a single mum with 95% of my body cover... - The Sun - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 5th, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Making grief visible: When tattoos help cope with the loss of a loved one - CBC.ca - March 9th, 2021
- Rachit Jadoun - A Professional Tattoo Artist Is All Set To Make His Name In The Industry - Social News XYZ - March 9th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Celebrating five of Salisbury's independent salons and shops - Salisbury Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 5th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the offensive requests they refuse - Daily Star - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021
- Hublot Expands Its Classic Fusion Orlinski Collection With Two New Ceramic Watches - aBlogtoWatch - January 27th, 2021