IN A time of lockdowns and closures, strict social distancing measures, financial concerns and reopening uncertainty, the management of a business has not been easy over the last 12 months.
From retail to hospitality, from hair and beauty to tourism, we wanted to remind independent businesses across the city that their customers are ready and waiting to return, by giving them the opportunity to vote for their favourites.
Since launching the nomination form the Journal has received more than 150 entries from you - our readers - detailing your treasured places, why these outlets should be recognised and celebrated, your special memories and why you cant wait to visit in a post-Covid world.
This week we have shone a spotlight on just some of the citys beauty salons and boutiques, to highlight how their services and staff are so sorely missed by our readers.
From assisting with medical and health conditions, to just wanting the ultimate pampering experience, voters have made it clear that hair and beauty salons and retail units are an integral part of the city that have faced serious hardship throughout the Covid-19 crisis.
Here are this week's top five:
1) OSO Boutique - 'Treated like old friends'
FAMILY business OSO Boutique has been recognised for its range of wonderful, quirky but classic products, with something for everyone.
Mother and daughter duo Jan and Nat Ashton have been bringing unique jewellery, accessories and clothing to women in the heart of Salisbury since the business opened in 2013.
Nothing is too much trouble for these two according to one nominator, with another adding they remain positive, optimistic and a breath of fresh air throughout all obstacles, including the Novichok poisonings and the Covid-19 pandemic.
Nat said: It feels incredibly humbling to be nominated and if theres one thing thats become very apparent throughout the hardships of this coronavirus pandemic then its that we are really blessed with truly wonderful customers.
Salisbury really does have some incredibly loyal shoppers and when people around this town find somewhere they like, they really do support it in the right ways.
Customers have enjoyed visiting OSO Boutique for a tailored and special experience, but have also appreciated the independents move to the web.
Last year, what was once two OSO outlets boasting products in the city were transformed to fit under one High Street roof.
Nat added: I think what makes our business special is that so many of our customers are like friends and even if we dont know our customers names or theyre new to our shop they are always treated like an old friend.
With the trials of lockdown we think people yearn more and more for that personal touch and thats something weve always championed at OSO.
Nat Ashton of OSO Boutique
2) The Sharp Practice - Personal and professional
BESPOKE tattoo and piercing studio The Sharp Practice has been highlighted by our readers for giving both a professional and personal experience.
For some Salisbury residents getting a first tattoo or piercing is no easy feat, but the friendliness and professionalism of the The Sharp Practice family has helped customers relax and enjoy the experience, enabling them to come back time and time again.
The family-run business on Catherine Street has been described by nominators as the best tattoo parlour in Wiltshire, with some travelling from further afield just to get their body art complete, including from Swindon, Andover and Warminster.
One customer said: The staff always talk to you and ask questions, whereas I know some other places just take you in and get it over and done with, they always try their hardest to make you feel welcome.
Another said: I can remember how welcoming and kind the staff were, especially since I was so nervous, not to mention how clean and safe everything was.
The team takes pride in conversing with customers to both make them feel at home and help them in bringing their artistic ideas to life.
A spokesperson for the business said they are over the moon that The Sharp Practice was nominated, adding: Its lovely to think the customers are still thinking about The Sharp Practice in this strange time. We all love working and being here.
With tattooists and piercing staff with years of experience, they added: I think The Sharp Practice is a friendly family shop which helps people feel at ease.
"We all like to help people with their ideas to get what they want and get the best tattooist for them as they all have a speciality - Darren is traditional, Matt does portraits and Jake loves Polynesian and tribal.
The Sharp Practice
3) Studio 15 - 'One stop beauty shop'
A HAIR and beauty salon that opened during the Covid-19 pandemic has been successful in building a loyal clientele, with customers praising the business for bringing everything to under one roof.
Described by one nominator as the ultimate pampering experience, Studio 15 opened around the first Covid-19 lockdown, offering a range of services, treatments and products to the Salisbury community - some of which were not yet offered anywhere else in the city.
Visitors have celebrated the business for its resilience and the way it has coped with opening and closing throughout 2020, with several expressing that they cannot wait to get booked in after the current lockdown.
One customer said: Studio 15 is friendly, welcoming, accommodating, relaxing and a beautiful salon with everything going for it. The staff have been incredible to me and my family since recently opening. I dont go anywhere else now and recommend to others all the time.
"My teenage daughter suffers from juvenile arthritis and was offered to use their collagen bed which improved her condition and mood drastically.
Another commended the business for lovely staff, fantastic products and affordable prices.
Studio 15s Sophie Cormack, who opened the business at only 24-years-old, said it was lovely to be recognised and described the business as a one stop beauty shop.
With services including sun beds, collagen beds, hairdressing, and beauty treatments, Sophie added that it is the only beauty shop in Salisbury to have everything, and there is a loyalty scheme on offer for repeat customers.
An overriding response from nominators was that they left Studio 15 feeling special, comfortable and pampered.
Sophie Cormack of Studio 15
4) The Hair Extension Cave - 'Inspirational' owner
THE owner of The Hair Extension Cave has been recognised for her unbelievable wealth of knowledge, as well as changing peoples lives with her outstanding hair care service.
Since opening the hair extension supplier and salon on Fisherton Street, Molly Cook has been labelled as an inspiration by her customers, for supporting their hair journeys through wigs, styles, advice and more.
One nominator said Molly goes above and beyond for anyone who walks through her doors, with another adding you leave the site as a friend.
"Its not just a job to Molly, its a big part of Mollys life. Thats what makes her and The Hair Cave so special, another said.
Responding to the feedback, Molly said: I am honoured, and in such a horrible and unsure time for businesses it really lifts my spirit and motivation, that unfortunately has been sat under a grey cloud in this pandemic.
Hair loss is something that can affect your whole life and you are constantly reminded of it, I am here to not only give support but also the solution.
"I have a lot of customers who suffer from alopecia and are undergoing chemotherapy and are already going through so much in their lives, that I do whatever I can to make them relaxed, happy and feel like themselves again.
The Hair Extension Cave
5) Head to Toe - Salon's 'special touches'
A SALON with soul and a secret escape is how a beauty business has been described by its customers, as they look forward to the return of appointments to catch up with staff and walk away feeling pampered.
Head to Toe on Winchester Street has been recognised by locals for its special touches, making every experience tailored and personal to the customer.
From artistic nails to amazing coffee, residents have noted the little things offered by the business that makes it such a celebrated independent in Salisbury, including a welcoming atmosphere, loyalty cards, seasonal treats and smiling staff.
A customer who travels from Fordingbridge to Salisbury especially for the Head to Toe experience described the salon as: The best I have ever been to, adding: The staff are extremely friendly and their services arent ridiculously expensive either.
I feel amazing when I walk out of there. They are the only reason why I travel into Salisbury.
Salon owner Magdalena Miller said: I feel so grateful to everyone who nominated Head to Toe. We are so lucky to have such amazing customers who picked us. Thank you for all the support in the difficult time.
Concerned about the Covid-19 impact, another customer said: The friendship and trust I have built with Magdalena and her team is irreplaceable and I would hate to see the business suffer as it is currently.
Magdalena has worked incredibly hard to build a reputation and form relationships with clients so without them, I can understand why a self-employed business like this one could suffer huge financial losses.
More positive feedback about the team included always smiling, welcoming, clean, hygienic, the service is beyond fabulous and so are your treatments.
When asked what makes the business special, Magdalena said: The attention to detail. Fair prices. Friendly environment for customers to enjoy chatting and high standards of hygiene.
Head to Toe
In future features we will be focussing on other special industries, so whether its the customer service, atmosphere, location or products on offer, we want you to tell us about your favourite traders and businesses in the area, and what makes them so great.
For more information and to nominate a business click here.
Read the original here:
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 5th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the offensive requests they refuse - Daily Star - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021
- Hublot Expands Its Classic Fusion Orlinski Collection With Two New Ceramic Watches - aBlogtoWatch - January 27th, 2021
- Sterilize your knives and other kitchen utensils with just the push of a button - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 27th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Tugs Down Her Pants To Show Off Her Lace Panties, Butt, And Tattoo - The Inquisitr - January 27th, 2021
- Sherbrooke-based tattoo artists ready to get back to the studio - Sherbrooke Record - January 22nd, 2021
- Musician tattoos | Tats inspired by their own music - Alternative Press - January 22nd, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market report has been assessed in accordance with the current Market trends 2020 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Tattooist publicly shames customer who tried to get away without paying 'due to Covid' - Mirror Online - January 20th, 2021
- The 5 Top Piercing Trends Pros Are Predicting For 2021 - Refinery29 - January 20th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Lincolnshire during the pandemic - Lincolnshire Live - January 20th, 2021
- Rhude Fall 2021 Ready-to-Wear Collection - Vogue.com - January 20th, 2021
- New Mural in Brewery Block - Big Island Now - January 15th, 2021
- UD Artist Spotlight: Colleen Anderson The Review - University of Delaware Review - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Insider - INSIDER - January 12th, 2021
- Parents cause outrage by subjecting their 7-year-old daughter to a tattoo on her leg - Explica - January 12th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Nottinghamshire during the pandemic - Nottinghamshire Live - January 9th, 2021
- Buzz in the CBD as Lismore inks in new tattoo studio - Northern Star - January 9th, 2021
- Ashley Martson removes tattoo dedicated to ex-husband Jay Smith - Monsters and Critics - January 9th, 2021
- ON THE RECORD: Harmonica man Sugar Blue and 'huh?' - The Sanford Herald - January 9th, 2021
- Young Cornish tattooist is 'like an old lady' because of condition - Cornwall Live - January 5th, 2021
- Business notes: Cinder and Sea to hold art classes in the new year - Cowichan Valley Citizen - January 3rd, 2021
- Striking image takes first place in Cleator Moor competition | News and Star - News & Star - January 3rd, 2021
- 15 things to watch out for in the new Pixar movie - Inspired Traveler - December 31st, 2020
- The Glasgow 'society tattooist' admired by Billy Connolly and the upper classes - Glasgow Times - December 28th, 2020
- blackbear Thrived This Year and Probably Will Next Year - SPIN - December 28th, 2020
- Planning chiefs give the go-ahead for retail unit to be turned into tattoo studio - Salisbury Journal - December 25th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 2: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 2 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Kat Von D, famed tattoo artist, slams California's 'tyrannical' overreach: 'Indiana here we come!' - Washington Times - December 25th, 2020
- Disneys Snow White: 10 Evil Queen Tattoos That Prove She Was The Fairest Of Them All - Screen Rant - December 25th, 2020
- Bollywood tattoo artist Vikas Malani on how COVID-19 affected the tattoo industry - The Hindu - December 25th, 2020
- Man travels 7km along SH1 on back of his stolen ute, trying to convince alleged thief to stop - Stuff.co.nz - December 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Tattoos: The Correlation To Your Safety - Mid-day - December 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter Shows Off Her First Tattoo, And Her Costars Have Some Thoughts - The Inquisitr - December 19th, 2020
- How Many Tattoos Does Dua Lipa Have? Inside All of Her Tattoos and Their Meanings - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 19th, 2020