Limited access to public studios and fears surrounding COVID-19 have set the stage for local artists to develop their own in-home studios
Last year, Malcolm Westmoor was operating a music studio inside a desolate office spacealongside fellow artist Tune$quad. It wasnt much, but the two craftsmen, working under the name Palace Recordings, circulated a small clientele base until operations slowed as the country wrestled with the effects of the novel coronavirus.
By March, most traditional studios temporarily ceased operations waiting for the moment to pass, which left local artists desperate to find places to record and someone capable of capturing their sound. Luckily, a few of these people were able to connect with Westmoor, who grew his clientele base from four artists to dozens in a matter of months using a stripped-down, DIY setup.
Westmoor, known as artist Yogi Split, eventually moved from the office space, relocating his equipment to a two-bedroom apartment for six months, where he used curtains as door dividers and three mattresses to form an enclosed booth.
Before then, Westmoor was forced to flex his artistic muscle moving from house-to-house, with the 24-year-old meeting local artists in their residence to record and mix songs as he prepared his in-home studio.
My clients have been very understanding of my situation, Westmoor said. Theyre like Oh, were in the office today? Oh, were in an apartment today? A house today? It doesnt matter. Im very grateful to have clients that would probably record with me in a cardboard box if they saw a laptop and a microphone.
Westmoor put the finishing touches on his home studio in September and has since reestablished the same presence he had at the start of quarantine.
The setup is fairly makeshift, Westmoor said, but his clients are as grateful for the space as he feels running it. For many, this unstructured business model would breed a sense of instability, but Westmoor is living the lifestyle hes sought out for years.
Man, this is priceless, he said. I think back to what I gained and its a deep sense of fulfillment because at this point Im not really chasing being happy. I found something supposedly we dont get to find before we die, and I was able to find this by age 21. And I manifested it into something that could carry me for the rest of my life.
Artist Inky Jamez said it was love at first ear when he started collaborating with Westmoor. And despite the shifts in Westmoors production space, Jamez (born Chris Jordan) remains willing to meet Westmoor wherever his services take him.
I understand this as a tattoo artist: If youre good at what you do, it doesnt matter where youre at, Jamez said. When I work with other engineers, and it can be the nicest studio, if we dont have that connection, the song is not going to have what it needs.
Prior to the pandemic and its associated restrictions, artist ayelookitsBrady rarely booked studio time, but the arrival of COVID-19 led him to invest in building his own in-home studio. Over the course of the pandemic, he equipped his one-bedroom apartment with a new desktop, computer software, monitors and low lighting to accommodate for his slight synesthesia a neurological condition that can affect sensory pathways like vision.
Between April to October 2020, ayelookitsBRADY (Demerus Taylor) crafted his recent album Not Sorry, released in December, and compiled more than 110 songs between his own tracks and ones he recorded with other artists. Now, the musician feels he can make any song he wants, a level of confidence he said he didnt have this same time last year.
I feel like I wouldve never tapped into that if the pandemic never happened, ayelookitsBRADY said. I feel like I wouldve always toyed and played with the idea That didnt happen until this year, and I think over that time period, having worked with so many people in my house and with people sending me stuff, I was able to really work on mixing and mastering to the point I feel like I can work at a full studio full-time.
AyelookitsBRADY said DIY studios ultimately kept the music scene alive, creating small artistic brigades across the citys musical landscape.
They have made it much more convenient way of making music, ayelookitsBRADY said of these artists and engineers who have formed small, collaborative groups. Its our version of working from home.
Westmoor said hes heard too many horror stories about local studio spaces, with artists expressing frustration toward local engineers who overcharge for their services and dont appear to appreciate the genre.
I think a lot of these studios ... theyre not serious. Theyre jokes. They smoke weed all the time. They do this and they do that, Westmoor said. For me, hip-hop is the fast-growing and biggest genre in the world, so why would I disrespect someone trying to cultivate that? Because theres probably an in for me from a business standpoint.
Westmoor said hes seen more people shift toward a DIY setup because of self-sufficiency, and he believes more artists will be driven to in-home studios for comfort, collaboration and more reasonable price points.
I definitely see more artists moving toward the DIY setup because of how people are reacting to quarantine, but I also think thats the direction people are going to because of life, he said. Peoples journeys will take them to having a microphone in their house.
See more here:
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything is Temporary at Ephemeral Tattoo - INKED - April 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- People think theyre better than me or assume Im stupid because Im a single mum with 95% of my body cover... - The Sun - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 5th, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Making grief visible: When tattoos help cope with the loss of a loved one - CBC.ca - March 9th, 2021
- Rachit Jadoun - A Professional Tattoo Artist Is All Set To Make His Name In The Industry - Social News XYZ - March 9th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Celebrating five of Salisbury's independent salons and shops - Salisbury Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the offensive requests they refuse - Daily Star - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021
- Hublot Expands Its Classic Fusion Orlinski Collection With Two New Ceramic Watches - aBlogtoWatch - January 27th, 2021