IF you're looking at getting a new tattoo, perhaps think long and hard about your design before you take to your skin with ink.
It turns out there are some designs tattooists really loathe because they're just so basic - so do you have one of these tattoos?
What is considered basic, though, depends on the artists own personal taste most of the time - so chose your studio wisely.
Stefan Dinu, from Inkaholics in London told Fabulous that he loves "photorealist, black and grey" artwork, but doesn't enjoy "Maori, Polynesian or mandalas."
As for Tota Volpe-Landi fromHappy Sailor Tattoo in London, she hates realistic artwork, and new, popular trends are definitely a no-go. Instead more "traditional tattoos, thick lines, big coverage" are the sure way to go.
Here, five tattoo artists tell Fabulous the designs they hate the most and what you should definitely avoid.
Tota told Fabulous that most tattooists will always prefer "big size tattoos instead of tiny ones."
She said: "Personally I wouldnt get a tiny infinite symbol on myself, but I have little tattoos I got on the spur of the moment, to mark something in my life."
"I prefer also doing tattoos that last in time, Im not too keen on superfine lines."
According to Naresh, a tattooer of 32 years and owner ofFlamin Eightin London, these tiny design "may look great freshly done" but says they're usually the first to fade.
Speaking to Fabulous, he said: "Believe me, I've seen how these heal and if they survive the initial healing they do not age well and are often a source of regret when the sharp lines fade and blur once the dressings are removed."
It seems there's a common distaste for infinity symbols among artists, particularly since it's now one of the most common requests.
Admitting it's his most hated design, Stefan said it's just because of "the volume ofenquiries we got throughout the years" and said it's a design that "makes you roll your eyes and say 'not again!'"
For Avram Nikolic-Parry, a tattoo artist available through IYNK, the most common tattoo that makes him cringe is by far the infinity symbol.
But particularly infinity symbols with tiny bird silhouettes coming out of them on the wrist, he said.
A feather with birds flying around is supposedly pretty on trend, but Stefan reckons it lacks "originality and inspiration".
He said: "There is so many people out there with the same tattoo, why copy? why not having something unique?"
There's a myriad of common designs now, though, thanks to celebrity-culture and Pinterest.
Tota said: "When tattooing started becoming mainstream, people had stars. Overrated but technically not as easy to do as people think. After there were owls, pocket watches, infinity symbols.... roses probably are the most tattooed subject."
Now, lions with crowns are becoming increasingly popular but Tota absolutely "loathes them".
"Thats a newish stuff," she explained. "Everyone likes these crowned lions.Personally I think they look funny and its not my style...I think it's how the crown sits on the head which is weird."
Stefan added: "Times are changing, fashion comes and goes. If you get your tattoos because they are fashionable you will most likely regret it a year later."
He urges people to get something "meaningful, original and representative of you," saying you will "wear it with pride even when you get to your 90's."
For Stefan, name tattoos are his pet peeve - particularly those who get their partner's names.
He said: "After 17 years as a tattoo artist I still don't understand why people get their partners' name on them, especially at the beginning of a relationship."
In his experience, those customers are always the first to get a tattoo removed, and said "they never learn".
Offering some advice, he said: "If any couples out there are thinking [about getting] their names tattooed on each other,please try to think of something a bit more meaningful and original that represents the love for each other."
Tom Abbott, Founder of IYNK told Fabulous that celebrities can make certain tattoo styles go mainstream - face tattoos like Post Malone, Amber Rose, Lil Wayne, or hand designs like Cara Delevingne, Rita Ora and Lana Del Rey.
But he reckons you'll have a pretty hard time finding an artist who'll happily ink your foot, hand or face because "many artists and studios have policies against doing tattoos in these areas".
Avram agreed and revealed that, in his opinion, hand ink is definitely the most basic tattoo someone could get.
"The one tattoo I find super basic is the Cheryl Cole-style hand tattoos," he admitted.
"Clients coming in asking for an intricate design to put on the side of the hand. These tattoos never stay crisp and clean, they always fade and blur out. I hate the fad she created.
A common theme among artists is that they'll rarely convince a customer not to get something - but they will work with them and guide them in the right direction.
Tota said: "I will [do] my best [to do] what my customers ask, no judgement. I can only give my opinion and then try to do my best."
But she will turn down work she isn't comfortable doing - such as people who are intoxicated or underage.
She said: "I do turn down work that I dont feel comfortable with, people that are inebriated, people who are very young."
But also customers who want very visible tattoos on the hands, neck and face.
Stefan agreed and doesn't encourage ink on these areas and said he'll often book those in months in advance in hope the customer changes their mind.
He said they get a lot of requests for hand and finger ink as first tattoos, but he will "kindly decline".
"We try to put things in perspective and ask them, 'how would it be if you hadto wear your favourite baseball cap all your life...?' And thats when they started having second thoughts and really sleep on it," he said.
But don't expect Naresh from Flamin Eight to oblige because visible hand and neck tattoos are off limits for him too.
"I do sometimes refuse to do certain designs and will not do anything that could be deemed offensive," he said.
And added: "Clients with few or no other tattoos are unlikely to convince me to tattoo very visible areas like hands or necks."
NOD ONExperts reveal the sleep positions which mean you're 'vulnerable', 'clingy' & 'rude'
MYSTIC MEGFebruary 4: For lovers old and new, this is a game-changing moment
CHIN UPI got rid of ugly jowls without going under the knife - this is how you can too
NOTE KIDDINGWoman 'in tears' after employer sends VERY detailed rejection letter
TIME TRAVELNo kissing, no sex, no booze - dating rules for traveller girls like Bridgerton
BURIED TREASUREMan buys hoarders house & finds 300k worth of treasure hidden inside
Meanwhile,tattoo fans share what dodgy body art REALLY means and fresh spring rolls has to be the winner.
Plusthese daring celebs all got tattoos later in life can you guess the stars from their surprising inkings?
AndDan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa& the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spooky ink.
Go here to see the original:
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything is Temporary at Ephemeral Tattoo - INKED - April 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- People think theyre better than me or assume Im stupid because Im a single mum with 95% of my body cover... - The Sun - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 5th, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Making grief visible: When tattoos help cope with the loss of a loved one - CBC.ca - March 9th, 2021
- Rachit Jadoun - A Professional Tattoo Artist Is All Set To Make His Name In The Industry - Social News XYZ - March 9th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Celebrating five of Salisbury's independent salons and shops - Salisbury Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 5th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the offensive requests they refuse - Daily Star - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021
- Hublot Expands Its Classic Fusion Orlinski Collection With Two New Ceramic Watches - aBlogtoWatch - January 27th, 2021