Given the three national lockdowns in a year have rendered tattoo studios closed for the majority of the last twelve months, there are many ink fans counting down the days until they are allowed their next inking.
However, before you rush back and demand the latest addition to your sleeve, take a moment to stop and determine whether or not it really is your dream design.
As a matter of fact, it turns out there are a few designs that even the most veteran of tattoo artists cant stand.
It is always wise to research both the studio and the artist before you sit down to get permanently marked, each artist has their own style preferences and may not like the kind of ink you are after.
Here are five popular designs that your artist might not be a fan of:
Tota Volpe-Landi from Happy Sailor Tattoo in London told The Sun's Fabulous Magazine that the majority of tattoo artists will always prefer doing larger tatts than smaller ones.
She said: "Personally, I wouldnt get a tiny infinite symbol on myself, but I have little tattoos I got on the spur of the moment, to mark something in my life.
"I prefer also doing tattoos that last in time, Im not too keen on superfine lines."
It is well documented that tiny tattoos do not heal as well as their bigger counterparts, something that Naresh, a London-based artist and owner of Flamin Eight, revealed to Fabulous.
She explained: "Believe me, I've seen how these heal and if they survive the initial healing they do not age well and are often a source of regret when the sharp lines fade and blur once the dressings are removed."
Anyone with even a slight interest in body art will know the infinity symbol is arguably the most commonly-seen tattoo around, which in turn inevitably means even the most patient of artists will eventually get bored of doing this design.
Stefan Dinu, from Inkaholics in London, claimed that this is the design he hates most, purely because the volume of enquiries we got throughout the years, it's a design that makes you roll your eyes and say 'not again!'"
Feather and Bird tatt
Often spotted etched around someones wrist, or on occasion on the ribcage, this design has been used more than enough.
Roses, pocket watches and roman numerals are just three of a host of designs that can usually be found adorned on many tatt fanatics up and down the country.
Following popular trends is usually ill-advised when it comes to permanent body art, given how quickly these designs come and go in and out of fashion.
Stefan told Fabulous: "Times are changing, fashion comes and goes. If you get your tattoos because they are fashionable you will most likely regret it a year later."
In many ways, the bravest inking of them all, getting someones name placed onto your body forever via needle is an incredible show of faith in whoevers name you are getting; however, they are not to every artists taste.
Stefan said: "After 17 years as a tattoo artist I still don't understand why people get their partners' name on them, especially at the beginning of a relationship.
"If any couples out there are thinking [about getting] their names tattooed on each other, please try to think of something a bit more meaningful and original that represents the love for each other."
Celebrity Inspired Ink
Whether it be David Beckham or Rihanna, a celebritys latest tatt will almost always lead to a flurry of admiring followers getting the same art inked on them.
Some celebs, such as musician Post Malone, have particularly outlandish tattoos in areas of the body some studios will refuse to tatt, such as the face or in some cases the hands.
Hand tattoos are extremely common among celebs, with Cheryl Cole, Rita Ora and Cara Delevingne all boasting hand ink but due to the smaller surface area of skin to work with, these tatts are more likely to fade and heal poorly.
What tatts are a no go?
Though it is rare an artist will flat out refuse to do a design, many will seek to work with their client to offer advice and steer them in the best direction.
Any experienced artist will never judge a client's request, but customers who ask for inking's while drunk or underage are likely to be denied.
Artists will often have areas of the body they do not enjoy tattooing, with particularly visible areas such as the face, hands and neck often declined, especially if they are the persons first tattoo.
Flamin Eight studio owner Naresh told Fabulous "I do sometimes refuse to do certain designs and will not do anything that could be deemed offensive," he said.
He added: "Clients with few or no other tattoos are unlikely to convince me to tattoo very visible areas like hands or necks."
Read the original post:
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Celebrating five of Salisbury's independent salons and shops - Salisbury Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 5th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021
- Hublot Expands Its Classic Fusion Orlinski Collection With Two New Ceramic Watches - aBlogtoWatch - January 27th, 2021
- Sterilize your knives and other kitchen utensils with just the push of a button - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 27th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Tugs Down Her Pants To Show Off Her Lace Panties, Butt, And Tattoo - The Inquisitr - January 27th, 2021
- Sherbrooke-based tattoo artists ready to get back to the studio - Sherbrooke Record - January 22nd, 2021
- Musician tattoos | Tats inspired by their own music - Alternative Press - January 22nd, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market report has been assessed in accordance with the current Market trends 2020 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Tattooist publicly shames customer who tried to get away without paying 'due to Covid' - Mirror Online - January 20th, 2021
- The 5 Top Piercing Trends Pros Are Predicting For 2021 - Refinery29 - January 20th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Lincolnshire during the pandemic - Lincolnshire Live - January 20th, 2021
- Rhude Fall 2021 Ready-to-Wear Collection - Vogue.com - January 20th, 2021
- New Mural in Brewery Block - Big Island Now - January 15th, 2021
- UD Artist Spotlight: Colleen Anderson The Review - University of Delaware Review - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Insider - INSIDER - January 12th, 2021
- Parents cause outrage by subjecting their 7-year-old daughter to a tattoo on her leg - Explica - January 12th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Nottinghamshire during the pandemic - Nottinghamshire Live - January 9th, 2021
- Buzz in the CBD as Lismore inks in new tattoo studio - Northern Star - January 9th, 2021
- Ashley Martson removes tattoo dedicated to ex-husband Jay Smith - Monsters and Critics - January 9th, 2021
- ON THE RECORD: Harmonica man Sugar Blue and 'huh?' - The Sanford Herald - January 9th, 2021
- Young Cornish tattooist is 'like an old lady' because of condition - Cornwall Live - January 5th, 2021
- Business notes: Cinder and Sea to hold art classes in the new year - Cowichan Valley Citizen - January 3rd, 2021
- Striking image takes first place in Cleator Moor competition | News and Star - News & Star - January 3rd, 2021
- 15 things to watch out for in the new Pixar movie - Inspired Traveler - December 31st, 2020
- The Glasgow 'society tattooist' admired by Billy Connolly and the upper classes - Glasgow Times - December 28th, 2020
- blackbear Thrived This Year and Probably Will Next Year - SPIN - December 28th, 2020
- Planning chiefs give the go-ahead for retail unit to be turned into tattoo studio - Salisbury Journal - December 25th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 2: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 2 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Kat Von D, famed tattoo artist, slams California's 'tyrannical' overreach: 'Indiana here we come!' - Washington Times - December 25th, 2020
- Disneys Snow White: 10 Evil Queen Tattoos That Prove She Was The Fairest Of Them All - Screen Rant - December 25th, 2020
- Bollywood tattoo artist Vikas Malani on how COVID-19 affected the tattoo industry - The Hindu - December 25th, 2020
- Man travels 7km along SH1 on back of his stolen ute, trying to convince alleged thief to stop - Stuff.co.nz - December 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Tattoos: The Correlation To Your Safety - Mid-day - December 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter Shows Off Her First Tattoo, And Her Costars Have Some Thoughts - The Inquisitr - December 19th, 2020
- How Many Tattoos Does Dua Lipa Have? Inside All of Her Tattoos and Their Meanings - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 19th, 2020