If youre going to appear in court on apparently unnamed but really serious charges, then its important to look your best. As for coordinating your outfit with your alleged accomplice fabulous.
EDS DESK is a new semi-regular column by New Matilda, where we give readers an inside look at the sub-editing process involved in news-making. Or at least, we give you an inside look at what should have been the sub-editing process to correct a steaming pile of sh*t story that actually got published, despite holes in it you could drive a truck through. On that note, over to The Daily Telegraph.
[HEADLINE] Alleged kidnappers may have been driving to Belanglo
[BYLINE] Perry Duffin | The Daily Telegraph
[INTRO] Police are investigating whether two young women, allegedly found by police with a stabbed 24-year-old woman in the cars boot on a highway, were headed to Belanglo State Forest. The revelation comes as a court refused to release them from custody.[EDS NOTES:] Perry your headline with may have been driving to Belanglo in single quotes suggests weve quoted someone saying that. Have we quoted someone saying that? Or have you made that up? Also, the two young women were not allegedly found by police. Its not a criminal offence to be found (or even arrested) by police, so theres nothing to allege. What IS alleged is that they had a stabbed woman in the cars boot. Which probably IS a criminal offence. But WHAT criminal offence, Perry? The story doesnt appear to detail any.
[BODY COPY] Latia Henderson, 18, and Kayley Ketley, 24, were hit with a slew of charges last night after a truck driver spotted a hand sticking out from a hole in the boot, according to police.[EDS NOTES] Sorry Perry, I stand corrected. When I said The story doesnt appear to detail any charges, I hadnt realized the very next paragraph revealed that the women were hit with a slew of charges. My mistake. But if you get time, defining what a slew of charges is would be really helpful. Given both women were ultimately refused bail, Im presuming the court at some point probably mentioned what they were being refused bail for? No rush or stress though I dont want to pressure you if you get around to it thank you.
The Holden Commodore had been travelling down the Hume Highway, near Berrima in the Southern Highlands, at around 11.30am yesterday when the driver spotted the womans hand. The Daily Telegraph can reveal police believe the car may have been bound for Belanglo State Forest. Sources are said to be investigating if the cars navigation system had been programmed to the forest south of Sydney.Sources are said to be investigating? Do you mean police are said to be investigating? And if so, said by whom? Did lawyers say police are investigating? Or is it just you saying that? Why dont you just ask police, and then quote them? Please clarify.
Henderson and Ketley appeared in Picton Local Court just after lunch on Thursday. Hendersons lawyer Gazi Abbas did not apply for release and it was formally refused while she sat looking forlorn in a white forensic jumpsuit on the audio-visual link.Just after lunch I really love the detail, Perry, but are you referring to a specific time? Like, say, midday? In which case, just state it. Otherwise it sounds like the girls met for a bit of lunch, and then toddled off to court shortly after. Also, why would Hendersons lawyer be sitting looking forlorn in a white forensic jumpsuit on the audio-visual link? Are you sure it wasnt Henderson herself in the jumpsuit? Hendersons lawyer should have been sitting in court. But if it WAS Hendersons lawyer, then THATs the headline: Forlorn looking lawyer in fetching white jumpsuit tries to represent client from jail. Please clarify. Also, unless what you actually attended earlier today was an impromptu Picton pyjama party, its called a crime scene suit, not a jumpsuit. Please amend.
Ketley tried her luck, without a lawyer, at being released on bail. My grandmother is very sick, she told the court from the sterile, stainless steel AVL suite where she too wore a white forensic suit.Perry firstly, you dont try your luck at getting bail. Its a court, not a fucking casino. Secondly, its not the fucking Oscars either. We dont care what she was wearing, and we would only care if theyd coordinated their outfits prior to being arrested. Thirdly, how do you know the stainless steel AVL suite was sterile? Is there a COVID-19 angle weve missed? Please investigate, and amend.
I would be asking to be released into her care at her address so I can care for her I would do whatever I have to do. But the magistrate told Ketley she was facing very serious charges and had failed to justify her release. She ran her fingers through her hair exasperated and said she would accept Legal Aid help. Ketley asked the magistrate what would justify her release. I dont give legal advice anymore, he said. These are very serious offences, please obtain legal advice.Okay Perry, the magistrates comments are pretty funny. Kudos for including them. But please remove the reference to the accused running her fingers through her hair, exasperated. This is a court report, not a fucking Jane Austen novel.
Two men with face tattoos and sunglasses accompanied another woman, believed to be a relative, to the country courthouse in the morning.Right where the actual fuck are you going with the story now, Perry? If youre trying to suggest these people are bags of shit and should be vilified, please refer to The Daily Telegraph in-house style manual for guidance. For example, can we make race a factor in this story by reporting that their lawyers are from Aboriginal Legal Aid? Can we work the phrase African or Islander appearance into the story somehow? Was the mother wearing a hijab or a headscarf? Did someone use a word that sounded foreign? And for future reference, face tattoos may indicate a certain level of bad-arsery, which is what I think youre going for, but sunglasses dont. Most people wear sunglasses at some point in their life, Perry. Unless theyre wearing them indoors, it doesnt denote class anymore. Also, I realize that you might think anything west of Annandale is outside NSW, and that you may have spotted a horse in a paddock on your arduous journey all the way out to Picton, but it doesnt have a country courthouse because its a suburb of Greater Sydney. Please amend.
Only the woman stayed for Hendersons hearing. She refused to speak to media waiting outside and tried to cross the road to escape questions.Right so the bad lady didnt want to answer your questions. Dont take it personally, Perry. It happens. More importantly, did the bad lady who is possibly maybe a relative but we dont really know but what the fuck lets just report that anyway actually make it across the road? Or did she just try to make it across the road? Dont leave us all hanging, Perry, tell us if she succeeded! If she didnt, then THAT is the headline Mystery woman who has friends with face tattoos and sunglasses tries unsuccessfully to cross road. Thats one-third of a Three Headings Walkley right there, Perry. Be a team player, please.
Mr Abbas said he had no instructions on whether Henderson would fight the charges but said his client was distressed in custody saying it was jarring for her. They will return to Campbelltown Local Court on April 7.Right so thats it then is it, Perry? Thats the end of the story, yeah? You sure? I know youre only a court reporter, but did it occur you to maybe update readers on the condition of the fucking woman who was fucking well allegedly found with multiple stab wounds in the boot of a car? Otherwise it looks like we dont actually give a flying fuck about the violence she endured, and were just trying to scare the shit out of people with a story about Belanglo Forest even though at no point in the story do we actually explain why Belanglo is so fucking terrifying. Which brings me to my main point, Perry: You could have worked the words Ivan Milat into the headline and then the story on innumerable occasions. I shouldnt have to do it for you. Please stop by my office before you leave this evening. Ed.
New Matilda is a small, independent media outlet. We survive through reader contributions, and never losing a lawsuit. If you got something from this article, giving something back helps us to continue speaking truth to power. Every little bit counts.
Originally posted here:
- Covid: Southend beautician fined after police discover her working | Echo - Echo - February 20th, 2021
- Thanks to Rawiri Waititi, Wearing a Tie Is Now Optional in New Zealands Parliament - Teen Vogue - February 13th, 2021
- I talk about Botox as a gateway drug: the changing face of the beauty business - Sydney Morning Herald - February 13th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 13th, 2021
- Summerside, P.E.I. woman competing to be Inked Magazine cover girl - The Journal Pioneer - February 10th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Man arrested after drugging and tattooing four sex slaves with his name before forcing them into prost - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Capitol Riot Prompts A Reckoning Over Extremism In The Ranks - NPR - February 10th, 2021
- With Pastel Devil Studio, these artists are reimagining today's tattoo parlor - St. Louis Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Brisbane sex slave ring accused face court over allegations of prostitution - 7NEWS.com.au - February 6th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 30th, 2021
- Face tattoos give Indigenous woman a chance to reclaim traditional form of self-expression - CBC.ca - January 24th, 2021
- Dustin Poiriers 27 tattoos and their meanings after getting his first aged 14 ahead of UFC fight with Conor M - The Irish Sun - January 24th, 2021
- Holly Willoughby winces in horror as UKs most tattooed woman reveals inking in intimate area on This Morni - The Sun - January 20th, 2021
- The mum looking to fully cover her body in tattoos by the time she is 40 - Lancs Live - January 20th, 2021
- Cape Cod people of color have renewed hope with Biden-Harris inauguration - Cape Cod Times - January 20th, 2021
- Why the far-right and white supremecists have embraced the Middle Ages and their symbols - The Conversation AU - January 15th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal (English) - January 9th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal.com - January 5th, 2021
- Walker's Point women-led tattoo shop spends grand opening giving away proceeds to charity - WTMJ-TV - January 5th, 2021
- Women Get Tattoos of Stefon Diggs Name on Their Bodies, But He Doesn't Claim Any of Them - BlackSportsOnline - January 5th, 2021
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - December 27th, 2020
- Tattoo artist raped vulnerable client and sexually assaulted five others - Cheshire Live - December 25th, 2020
- 'Depraved' tattoo artist raped woman and sexually assaulted five others while performing work on them - Manchester Evening News - December 23rd, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- Kalie Shorr Is as Bad as She Wants to Be In My Voice Video - Sounds Like Nashville - December 16th, 2020
- The Women Faced Off to Play Soccer. One Team Lost Because of Hair Dye. - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 10th, 2020
- Meet the new couples of '90 Day Fianc' - CNN - December 9th, 2020
- Sunday Funday Moment: Local woman-owned business celebrating 10th anniversary with virtual Loteria party. - KVIA El Paso - November 30th, 2020
- The day my Indian mother confronted me about my tattoo - SBS - November 26th, 2020
- Women and Minorities Value, Perceive, and Experience Professionalism Differently than Their Peers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- I studied 5,000 phone images: objects were more popular than people, but women took way more selfies - The Conversation AU - November 25th, 2020
- Megan Thee Stallion Reveals Why She Doesn't Have Any Tattoos - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2020
- Gassed in their cells, begging for food at Auckland Womens prison - RNZ - November 23rd, 2020
- Watch Lindsey Vonn Talk About Tattoos, Body Image, And Her Worst Injury In This 'Body Scan' Video - Women's Health - November 21st, 2020
- Pike River Mine: The women still bonded by tragedy a decade on - Newshub - November 18th, 2020
- OPINION: Tattoos are a way to express creativity - The Daily Evergreen - November 12th, 2020
- Fox Maxy discusses land and Indigenous people in his films - Daily Northwestern - November 12th, 2020
- Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. says to reach out to hear veterans stories at Madison County, NY Veterans Day ceremony - Utica Observer Dispatch - November 12th, 2020
- 50 Best Hand Tattoos For Women - Inspiration From Rihanna To Cara - elle.com - November 12th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 8th, 2020
- Meet the Artist Behind the Lighting Bolt Design That Has Become the Symbol of Womens Rights in an Increasingly Oppressive Poland - artnet News - November 5th, 2020
- Body of woman dumped in Inanda who had her throat slit and hands chopped off yet to be identified - Independent Online - November 5th, 2020
- 65 Cute Small Tattoos For Women: Tiny Tattoo Ideas (2020 ... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoos For Women An Ultimate Guide to Tattoo Beauty - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artist Teamed Up with Local Print Shop to Help Raise Money for Charities that Support Black Lives Matter During Ongoing Pandemic - Printing... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artists of Color on Working With Dark Skin - Allure - November 4th, 2020
- Sean Connery: Why women loved this James Bond - THE WEEK - November 1st, 2020
- 6 Women Share the Tattoos Inspired By Their Breast Cancer Diagnosis - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 31st, 2020
- Carla Was Diagnosed with Breast Cancer So were Her Sisters and Daughters in Remarkable Case of 'Family History' - Baptist Health South Florida - October 28th, 2020
- Death-Defying Shotzi Blackheart Is a Perfect Choice to Revive the Beloved Halloween Havoc - Sports Illustrated - October 28th, 2020
- Diagnosed with Breast Cancer? Answers to Common Questions About Radiation - Chicago Health - October 28th, 2020
- 14 Incredibly Inspiring Breast Cancer Tattoos - Prevention.com - October 24th, 2020
- Watch Jordyn Woods Talk About Her 17 Piercings And 8 Tattoos In This New Video - Women's Health - October 22nd, 2020
- Think twice before getting that tattoo: It can cause your body to overheat - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Breast reconstruction: Are 3D nipple tattoos right for you? - Baylor College of Medicine News - October 22nd, 2020
- How COVID-19 changed the tattoo industry. - Newcity Design - October 22nd, 2020
- The Vow Season 2: What Happened to Keith Raniere, Allison Mack, and More NXIVM Key Players - Fort Leavenworth Lamp - October 19th, 2020
- 'I get a charge out of helping people': Breast cancer survivor finds way to give back to others - The Stanly News & Press - Stanly News &... - October 17th, 2020
- 40 Taunts By Desi Aunties That Make Young Single Women Go WTF - SheThePeople - October 17th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- The Link Between the Disappearances of Two North Texas African American Women - Local Profile - October 16th, 2020
- 'Trick-or-Treat from 6 Feet' offers fun way to give out Halloween candy - WBAL TV Baltimore - October 16th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- Far-flung face of poverty fight - Chinadaily.com.cn - Chinadaily USA - October 10th, 2020
- Woman testifies about talk of sex, witchcraft and killing during relationship with Trail, Boswell - KOLN - October 8th, 2020
- Erin Andrews Is Learning to Be Patient! - Greenwich Time - October 8th, 2020
- Fans are shocked to see Chris Evans' torso covered in tattoos in a video of him backflipping into a pool - Business Insider India - October 8th, 2020
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Tattoos aiding in recovery - NBC Right Now - October 8th, 2020
- Peter Andre shows off his scarred face for new film role with co-star Fredi Nwaka - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Man arrested in Camden deaths of woman, her son; search led to California - Arkansas Online - October 8th, 2020
- It was a cultural reset: A short history of the ABG aesthetic - i-D - October 8th, 2020
- The taboo around tattoos - The Aquinian - October 5th, 2020
- Keeping Up With The Alumni: Featuring Liz Hogan - Sports Illustrated - October 4th, 2020
- 25 Popular Forearm Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 2nd, 2020
- Dunedin tattoo artist helps guide transition for breast cancer survivors - Tampa Bay Newspapers - October 2nd, 2020
- Does Taylor Swift Have Any Tattoos? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 2nd, 2020