Nerd culture, aka the world of fandom, use to be an exclusive club for the outcasts of society. We were the people who explored the Shire, solved mysteries with an alien, served justice in colorful costumes, and took on zombies in a fancy mansion. We were ostracized by society for what we liked and sometimes it even got violent. Despite it all, we kept being nerds.
Then one day, Hollywood got access to our secret world and turned it into a billion-dollar money maker. Nerd culture became pop culture. Now, what once got us stuffed into lockers, is being celebrated worldwide. The newfound popularity should have come with open acceptance, and there is, but not for everyone.
Anyone who identifies as a woman, as well as non-binary femmes, are finding themselves the new outcast in fandom. The exclusive club for the marginalized is doing the same to a group that is already facing bias and prejudice. Non-male nerds often experience gatekeeping-the activity of controlling, and usually limiting general access to something.
As a cisgender female, I have often experienced gatekeeping, which often includes having to prove my nerdiness. This experience isnt just exclusive to everyday causal encounters; it happens professionally too. My experiences with gatekeeping made me want to talk to others about it. So I talked with 10 female/femme-identifying nerds about gatekeeping and the world of fandom in general.
~*~ the participants all took a survey about nerd culture and fandom. The identities of the participants will not be disclosed. ~*~
Here are some interesting statistics based on my research:
The Average age range of participants was 25-30.
10 out of 10 participants have experienced some form of gatekeeping.
9 out of 10 participants experienced some form of gatekeeping from males.
3 out of 10 participants experienced some form of gatekeeping from other females.
The most common forms of gatekeeping experienced by the participants were quizzing, belittling, and harassment.
The most common form of quizzing is asking the origins of a particular character.
8 out of 10 participants got into nerd culture when they were kids.
10 out of 10 participants were into more than 1 fandom.
The most common fandoms between all the participants were anime, Nintendo, horror, and comic books.
I shared with the participants a funny gatekeeping story. How one day I was wearing my Green Lantern shirt and a UPS driver came to deliver a package. He asked me if I was a fan of Big Bang Theory. No, I like the Green Lantern, I told him. The UPS driver scoffed and asked, What do you know about the Green Lantern? I lifted my shirt to reveal my $900 Green Lantern tattoo that included Mogo. The driver finally handed me my package and said, Oh! You probably know more than me. I closed my door loudly.
Many of the participants shared their own personal experience with gatekeeping and how it makes them feel.
Participant 1 is a cosplayer and shared a story about her first time going to a comic book store, Some are fine, but the majority are either gatekeeping really hard or sexualizing me. If Im in cosplay I get a lot of creeps, and sometimes just going to a shop/con brings that out. If theyre not hitting on me theyre trying to make me prove Im a real fan. I distinctly remember my first time going to a comic store (when I was like 11, too) and getting teased by the male clerk, and now I pretty much just order comics online instead so I dont have to deal with it. I see this from men not only in the typical nerd communities but also in a lot of music areas as well (metalheads are the worst!)
Participant 2 was in the 36+ age range and talked about quizzing, Theyre usually shocked that I know my stuff, but Im always prepared to be asked extremely exclusive and specific questions before I claim to be a fan of something in front of a male nerd.
Participant 6 is heavily into the James Bond franchise:[male nerds are] Reductive, patronizing and condescending. I avoid mainstream or non-fanfiction fan spaces because of male presence. They think theyre hardcore and that our interest in fandom is only based on attraction or something frivolous.
Participant 7 has many superhero tattoos: Ive been told Im a fraud for having a superhero tattoo and that I know nothing about them. It makes me feel shitty.
Participant 5 shares her experience with other female nerds:  Eh, sometimes. Most females tend to be competitive sometimes anyway. Those who arent tend to be my friends.
Participant 8 discusses the friendliness shes experienced from male nerds: I have not experienced [gatekeeping] personally or cannot remember. Mostly I am asked questions like, have you heard of this? Is the thing youre wearing from this?
All the participants agreed that gatekeeping is frustrating. but hope that one day, fandom fans of all identities could enjoy being nerds together.
Participant 9 said it best, We use to be the Losers Club and now we are the cool kids. Lets just be cool together and embrace those who are now seeing the magic we always saw.
How can we come together as the participants hope? The answer is acceptance. We have to learn to accept our differences and unite based on our shared interests. Just as there are many kinds of fandoms, so too there are many types of fans. So next time you feel the urge to quiz someone about their fandom, consider asking them what is their favorite thing about it? Turn it into an opportunity to start a conversation and not a fight.
How do you feel about nerd culture being pop culture now? Do you have any experience with gatekeeping? Share your thoughts in the comments and online. We would love to start a positive conversation on how we can make the world of fandom and more inclusive and positive place!
View original post here:
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Come With Us on a Journey to Explore the Post Malone Tattoo Cosmos - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021
- WWE news: The Rock's incredible 30-year body transformation - GIVEMESPORT - February 6th, 2021
- Man Robbed Restaurant That Refused To Serve Him For Not Wearing A Mask | KFI AM 640 - KFI AM 640 - February 6th, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc: Rebecca's Husband Zied Before & After Weight Loss Transformation - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Amber Heard Reacts To Marilyn Manson Allegations, Connects Them To Johnny Depp - PerezHilton.com - February 6th, 2021
- Hall of boyfriends: All the men Jeffree Star trapped into a relationship Film Daily - Film Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Dispatches: Now Is the Perfect Time To Visit Tahiti - Men's Journal - February 2nd, 2021
- Post Malone's 'Imperial' Haircut Is The Hottest Men's Grooming Trend Right Now - DMARGE - February 2nd, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Man accused of beating and shooting shopper who bumped into him - wreg.com - January 31st, 2021
- Broken Justice: How Spokane County officials threw an innocent man behind bars and allowed the real killer to go free - Pacific Northwest Inlander - January 30th, 2021
- Is Alev Aydin Halsey's Baby Daddy? What You Need To Know About The Writer-Producer - OK! - January 30th, 2021
- A Home Heating Crisis. A Devastating Forest Fire Waiting to Happen. One Innovative Solution. - Slate - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021
- Shortly after I began converting to Judaism, I found myself in a hot tub full of neo-Nazis - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - January 25th, 2021
- Far-right Proud Boys who idolise Donald Trump are operating in Scotland - Daily Record - January 25th, 2021
- Jake Ryan reveals how he prepared to play a gang leader in New Zealand film Savage - Nine - January 25th, 2021
- Kevin Owens Gives Roman Reigns A Personal Reason About Why He Won't Stop Fighting - Wrestling Inc. - January 25th, 2021
- 2 people from Western Pennsylvania charged in connection with Capitol riot - WTAE Pittsburgh - January 25th, 2021
- 'The right thing to do': Worcester County Jail and House of Correction staff, inmates grateful to receive COVID-19 vaccine - Worcester Telegram - January 25th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- The moment MLKs daughter and a former neo-Nazi formed an unlikely friendship - Face2Face Africa - January 22nd, 2021
- UK lotto winner shares photo of her bizarre bum tattoos on Instagram - NEWS.com.au - January 22nd, 2021
- Williams: We can agree to disagree, but let's do it with civility - The Winchester Star - January 22nd, 2021
- Madhya Pradesh: View the aesthetic side of Dewar, Rabari nomads, which Bhopal museum has showcased for you - Free Press Journal - January 22nd, 2021
- 'This Is Awesome!': Another Proud Boys Leader Arrested for Storming U.S. Capitol - The Daily Beast - January 22nd, 2021
- Texas bikers say cops have unfairly labeled them as gang members - Houston Chronicle - January 22nd, 2021
- Looking for business in the front and a party in the back? Ashley Medina is Lansing's mullet maestro - WSYM-TV - January 20th, 2021
- US Capitol riots: The coded tattoos and flags, and the far-right stories they tell - Stuff.co.nz - January 20th, 2021
- Diplo Strips Down To Surf, Shows Off His Amazing Bod And Tats - OK! - January 20th, 2021
- After the Capitol riot, one Florida man became 'Podium Guy': Another man turned him in - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2021
- How four lads on a night out became a viral meme these men from Birmingham are internet famous! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - January 20th, 2021
- The Aroma of Progress at the Court of Master Sommeliers - Vinography - January 20th, 2021
- Blood donor study could help lift restrictions for gay and bisexual men - PhillyVoice.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Ariana Grande Relationship Timeline : Pete Davidson to Dalton Gomez, Dating History. Read all about it here! - Stanford Arts Review - January 3rd, 2021
- "Why I stopped drinking alcohol at the age of 26" - cosmopolitan.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Andrew Tracey - Men's health UK - January 3rd, 2021
- Police agencies seeking public's help after pair of thieves hits four jewelry stores - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 3rd, 2021
- The life and death of Billy Baggett: Part I - Street Roots News - December 28th, 2020
- FDA considers lifting restrictions on blood donations by gay and bi men - WPSD Local 6 - December 28th, 2020
- Taiwan in Time: The first Truku convert - - December 27th, 2020
- My Messed-Up Family Drove Me to the Other Side of the World for Christmas - The Daily Beast - December 25th, 2020
- What if the biggest games of 2020 had Christmas spin-offs? - PCGamesN - December 25th, 2020
- Peaky Blinders filming is returning - and they need extras from the North - Times & Star - December 19th, 2020
- All of us here have killed someone The New Mutants - tor.com - December 19th, 2020