Salons in Los Angeles County have been closed to the public since Dec. 3, but for social-media-savvy stylists like Amanda Lyberger, a colorist known for her eye-catching rainbow looks, the show must go on.
In Thair Salon, her otherwise abandoned place of employment in the warehouse district of downtown Los Angeles, Ms. Lyberger, 28, recently gave her girlfriend, a tattoo artist named Blue Poulin, 22, a hair tattoo.
Over three hours, Ms. Lyberger used hair dye to paint a colorful graphic (inspired by a pair of patterned pants from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) onto Ms. Poulins bleached buzz cut as if it were a canvas. After a wash, she used a pair of clippers to outline and enhance the geometric shapes she created, allowing Ms. Poulin to wear a retro print on her head.
The painstaking art of hair tattooing is one of impermanence. In just a week, the hair will grow and blur the design, and in four weeks, the blue, pink and yellow dye will have faded. Ms. Poulin spent her hours in the chair documenting the transformation for TikTok, where the video Ms. Lyberger shared has already been watched 140,000 times.
The video, unlike the style itself, has no expiration date. In the digital realm, tattoo content has gone viral during the pandemic, a period defined by limited access to salons and stylists. Internet enthusiasm for these styles caused a spike in demand in Los Angeles, a city filled with entertainers and influencers in search of the spotlight.
Reina DeMoss, a colorist who specializes in punk hair, thinks of hair tattooing as an internet age update to a staple subcultural hairstyle. It harks back to the British and American punk styles of the late 1970s and early 80s, when extreme beauty practices flourished in the wake of economic devastation and national unrest.
The buzz cut is a form of rebellion and of disconnecting yourself from politics, society or your 9-to-5 job, Ms. DeMoss said. Walking around with a nearly bald head is a statement, but adding in art, technique and meaning elevates it to another level, entirely. With vivid dyes and clipper carvings, hair tattooing reimagines the minimalist, authoritarian buzz cut as a canvas for maximal adornment and individualized expression.
Coronavirus put a lid on all of us, said Janine Ker, a self-described artist who does hair. It just makes you want to explode and change and get out! Ms. Ker is best known for creating the rainbow leopard hair tattoo that the Latin pop star J. Balvin wore at his 2019 Coachella performance. A pioneer of the trend, Ms. Ker has been sharing photographs of her multilayered styles, which combine complex hair sculpting techniques with up to three layers of dye and processing, since 2016.
I wanted to overcome the limitations of hair as a medium and create something that would really shock people, she said.
Ms. Ker said it took years before her alternative beauty looks captured the attention of a more mainstream audience. She shared a theory about their popularity during the pandemic: Hair is the only thing we have control over right now. You look in the mirror and see that youve changed something or made a difference in your life.
Paris Helena, a 26-year-old beauty photographer who described the buzz cut as a form of hair liberation, was eager to take the classic quarantine cut into a more artistic realm and reached out to Jordan Paige, a stylist and friend who also owns Thair Salon. The result was a series of hair tattoos inspired by famous paintings, like Van Goghs Starry Night and Monets Water Lilies.
She captured the styles in a series of self-portraits and said hair tattooing provided a vital creative outlet and incited human connection, while in isolation: It was a way for me to spark a conversation with somebody random on the street, from six feet away.
Reactions from strangers were overwhelmingly positive, perhaps because, she said, we see less of everything nowadays, including faces and people, which makes us appreciate the little things more.
Punk-inspired hairstyles werent always so well received. The stylist Kimberly Ibbotson, 27, who specializes in vivid color, recalls being bullied in her teenage years for her embrace of untraditional hues. Tolerance of alternative beauty practices like hair tattooing, Ms. Ibbotson said, is much higher now.
I feel like a lot of people were hesitant to take risks because of what other people might think, she said. But these days, vivid hair color is universally accepted, she said. People today are so much more themselves.
Attitudes toward mens grooming have also shifted significantly, spawning a growing population of men who are interested in more androgynous or experimental styles, like hair tattooing.
Barbers are getting into it because they see the potential in it not only as a creative outlet, but as a financial opportunity, Ms. Ibbotson said.
Julius Arriola, who is known as Caesar and who collaborates with Ms. Ibbotson, is a barber who has capitalized on that potential. A hair tattooist and the owner of All Hail Studio, he draws inspiration from the early adopter Dennis Rodman, the former basketball star, and caters mostly to male clientele from the street wear and hip-hop worlds.
Mr. Arriola charges a flat rate of $1,000 for hair tattoos that will take more than four hours; some of his intricate artworks take up to eight hours to complete. (Mr. Arriolas rate is more than double the industry standard of approximately $400 for a four-hour hair tattoo.)
Everybody thinks were absolute lunatics for doing it, but thats the beauty of it all, he said
Mr. Arriola said his clients often get hair tattoos to mark a special occasion. For men, hair color is about staking a claim in your identity, he said. Every time someone sits down in my chair, theyre given an opportunity to reinvent themselves. One of Mr. Arriolas regular clients, Jordan Brent, a 30-year-old creative director, described his motivation in a phone interview: The dye makes me feel less invisible.
Jessica Jewel, a colorist who has recently collaborated with the barber Charli Bll to create hair tattoos for the actress Ruby Rose and the rapper Saweetie, described their hair tattoo clientele as edgy, out-of-this-world people who arent afraid to put themselves out there, and be looked at. And while Los Angeles is a known hair tattooing hub, both Ms. Jewel and Ms. Bll were eager to clarify that these styles are being recreated and worn around the world.
The pandemic has really unleashed peoples artistic abilities, Ms. Bll said. People are painting on anything now, including heads. Its made everybody a hairdresser.
Originally posted here:
Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times
- 300+ Inspirational Tattoo Quotes For Men (2021) Short ... - July 26th, 2021
- Caeleb Dressel on the precipice of becoming the next Michael Phelps - Los Angeles Times - July 26th, 2021
- Hairline Tattooing and What You Need to Know - menshealth.com - July 26th, 2021
- Police find man dead in Savannah. But who is he? They need your help to find out - WJCL News - July 26th, 2021
- Manchester United's Mason Greenwood explains the thinking behind his tattoos - Manchester Evening News - July 26th, 2021
- Love Islands Abigail will have head turned in Casa Amor claims best friend as he reveals she likes OLDER... - The Sun - July 26th, 2021
- Love Is Blind: Meet 5 Kenyan Men Who Have Dated Socialite Amber Ray Kenya News - Tuko.co.ke - July 26th, 2021
- The Nottinghamshire working men's club that has been going strong for nearly 100 years - Nottinghamshire Live - July 26th, 2021
- The names and mugshots of Lancashire's FIVE most wanted men - Lancashire Telegraph - July 26th, 2021
- Viral Therapist Shows Men's 'Audacity' on Dating Apps, Including Requests to be Submissive - Newsweek - June 30th, 2021
- This BBQ Pitmaster Is Competing on Food NetworkWith a Three Percenter Tattoo - Daily Beast - June 30th, 2021
- Why Harley Quinn's Face Tattoo Is Missing In The Suicide Squad - TVOvermind - June 30th, 2021
- Men who come to this BGC salon want their brows shaped and still look 'brusko' - ANCX - June 30th, 2021
- The Tattoo Industry Is Changing and Queer-Owned Spaces Are Leading the Charge - POPSUGAR - June 30th, 2021
- Love Island fans convinced Chloe will choose Jake - as teaser clip suggests major shakeup in the villa - Bristol Live - June 30th, 2021
- The full list of all the new shows and movies coming to Netflix in July - JOE.ie - June 30th, 2021
- Kennedy Teams Up With AFL Legend Dustin Martin On Exclusive Watch Collection - DMARGE - June 13th, 2021
- Euro 2020: Gab Marcotti's players to know, cult heroes on all 24 teams - ESPN - June 13th, 2021
- 3 Things to Think About Before You Get Your First Tattoo - menshealth.com - May 8th, 2021
- Tom Dunne's Music & Me: The axe-men cometh, and they've got loads of effects pedals - Irish Examiner - May 8th, 2021
- 'Tattoos look like skin disease': The prejudice people still face and the artists fighting it - Wales Online - May 8th, 2021
- Two shoppers may have witnessed moment man, 23, was stabbed to death - Liverpool Echo - May 8th, 2021
- Wrath of Ritchie - Splice Today - May 8th, 2021
- My Teen Is About to Fall Down the Male-Power Incel Rabbit Hole - Slate - May 8th, 2021
- Scar Stories: The Toll of Colon Cancer - GQ Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Come With Us on a Journey to Explore the Post Malone Tattoo Cosmos - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021
- WWE news: The Rock's incredible 30-year body transformation - GIVEMESPORT - February 6th, 2021
- Man Robbed Restaurant That Refused To Serve Him For Not Wearing A Mask | KFI AM 640 - KFI AM 640 - February 6th, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc: Rebecca's Husband Zied Before & After Weight Loss Transformation - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Amber Heard Reacts To Marilyn Manson Allegations, Connects Them To Johnny Depp - PerezHilton.com - February 6th, 2021
- Hall of boyfriends: All the men Jeffree Star trapped into a relationship Film Daily - Film Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Dispatches: Now Is the Perfect Time To Visit Tahiti - Men's Journal - February 2nd, 2021
- Post Malone's 'Imperial' Haircut Is The Hottest Men's Grooming Trend Right Now - DMARGE - February 2nd, 2021
- You Shall Not Pass: Fandom & The Gatekeeping of Femme Fans - Fandom Spotlite - February 2nd, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Man accused of beating and shooting shopper who bumped into him - wreg.com - January 31st, 2021
- Broken Justice: How Spokane County officials threw an innocent man behind bars and allowed the real killer to go free - Pacific Northwest Inlander - January 30th, 2021
- Is Alev Aydin Halsey's Baby Daddy? What You Need To Know About The Writer-Producer - OK! - January 30th, 2021
- A Home Heating Crisis. A Devastating Forest Fire Waiting to Happen. One Innovative Solution. - Slate - January 30th, 2021
- Shortly after I began converting to Judaism, I found myself in a hot tub full of neo-Nazis - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - January 25th, 2021
- Far-right Proud Boys who idolise Donald Trump are operating in Scotland - Daily Record - January 25th, 2021
- Jake Ryan reveals how he prepared to play a gang leader in New Zealand film Savage - Nine - January 25th, 2021
- Kevin Owens Gives Roman Reigns A Personal Reason About Why He Won't Stop Fighting - Wrestling Inc. - January 25th, 2021
- 2 people from Western Pennsylvania charged in connection with Capitol riot - WTAE Pittsburgh - January 25th, 2021
- 'The right thing to do': Worcester County Jail and House of Correction staff, inmates grateful to receive COVID-19 vaccine - Worcester Telegram - January 25th, 2021