This post originally appeared on Alma.
Sundhllen, a public swimming pool in Reykjavik, Iceland, is located at Barnsstgur 45a, 101. The buildings simple, unadorned exterior appears to be that of a government building, or perhaps a prison, and it gives no indication of the deep clear pools and smoky hot tubs hiding on the other side of its high white walls.
Though Sundhllen isnt one of the more glamorous thermal baths for which Iceland has become famous, it is one of the oldest and its an actual meeting place among the capital citys locals. Its also where I was soaking one gray-skied evening two years ago when I first realized the more negative implications of my impending conversion to Judaism.
I was traveling through Iceland with my brother, doing all of the touristy things there: eating cod, hiking to craters, buying expensive sweaters and swimming in every pool that I could find. I had been in Sundhllen multiple times, but in a hot tub on one particular evening, I kept hearing the terms white supremacist and neo-Nazi holding space in my fellow hot tub goers conversations. I dont speak Icelandic, but through the way many Icelanders pepper their conversations with English vocabulary, I could sometimes assume the subjects about which they were speaking. After a few minutes I saw three figures, two men and one woman, stepping into the water, and through the rising steam it was clear to me that they were the neo-Nazis that people were speaking of.
Theres a saying that when were stripped of our material adornment, we can more clearly see how similar we all are. I can tell you now that this is not always the case. While their clothes and other accessories, which could have provided clues to their ideological beliefs and social class, were left in the lockers, a more permanent version of who these people were came with them. Their heads were shaved, they were wearing black uniform bathing suits and were covered in tattoos, with some of the identical symbols and images: the Nordic resistance movement insignia, the life rune, SS bolts, etc. Only the classic swastika was missing.
I wondered what it would be like if I had seen one of them on the street that day while on a tour. Would they have been wearing black leather jackets covered in offensive patches, serving as a warning for the conscientious to stay away? Or would their true selves remain unseen, hidden beneath a homemade turtleneck sweater and chinos from Zara?
Similarly to the way these neo-Nazis may have hidden racist and anti-Semitic symbols underneath misleading outfits, I was unintentionally hiding beneath my own Aryan-like physique an element of myself that many white supremacists would believe made me a threat: I was practicing Judaism.
I officially began my conversion process a few weeks prior to the trip but, at that point, already considered myself Jewish. Though I was slow to begin the official process, I had done the required reading, watched the films, attended Shabbat services at my local Reform synagogue regularly and was an active member in the congregations tikkun olam society. I was invested in my local community and felt settled into a Jewish identity, regardless of a conversion certificate.
What bothered me more than sharing a spa day with possible neo-Nazis was the realization, for the first time, that anti-Semitism was slowly becoming a personal problem. For many converts, there comes a time when they becomes we, theirs becomes ours.
Though my privilege as a white person is clear and will always play a huge role in the way society responds to me, my conversion to Judaism puts a new target on my back, something I had only briefly considered when working my way through the conversion checklist.
Unlike Orthodox Jews and other members of more visible marginalized groups, my Jewishness was not apparent on me physically. Ive sat around enough tables full of challah and matzah ball soup to know that most people think I dont look Jewish whatever that means. I have, however, been told I look a lot like my younger brother, a white, blue-eyed Christian man who was sitting beside me in the hot tub that day. I wondered how his experience and fear in that moment was different from my own. We are the same blood, but I represent a threat to neo-Nazis and he does not.
When we talked about it over scoops of ice cream later that night, he told me it was surprising to have experienced neo-Nazis in Iceland, a country famous for its equality and peaceful society, but he didnt reveal having felt anything beyond the surprise.
I took this experience home with me though, and it helped me understand the gravity of my conversion. It was the first time that fear made me reconsider my conversion and the choices I was making in my public Jewish life. It was the first time I truly looked inward and asked myself the hard question required of converts: Was I ready to accept the realities of anti-Semitism?
I also asked myself the question so many of my friends had asked already: As a gay man, why would I want to add an additional target on my back?
I used to find the imagery of a target on someones back too grotesque and melodramatic for the context of a religious conversion, but since my encounter with presumed neo-Nazis in the hot tub that day, the question has become even more reasonable. On top of all-too-common news of anti-Semitic threats and vandalism, there have been synagogue shootings and Jewish-oriented hate crimes around the world.
At the time of this writing, we are dealing with the aftermath of domestic terrorists storming and overtaking the U.S. Capitol building. Some of the rioters waved Confederate flags, others held signs referencing the anti-Semitic conspiracy theory QAnon. Others wore sweatshirts that read things like Camp Auschwitz, an obvious glorification of the Holocaust. During the pro-Trump Save America rally leading up to the storming of the Capitol building, aRepublican congresswoman, Mary Miller, even quoted Hitler.
While I wait for my citys mikvah to reopen after being closed due to COVID-19 in order to finalize my conversion, I find myself revisiting the same question I asked myself back in Reykjavik: Is my conversion a smart choice?
In the two years that have passed since soaking in a hot tub with neo-Nazis, I have to admit that my certainty in my desire to convert has taken a few blows. But what keeps me pushing toward the mikvah, however, is that when Im asked if Im Jewish, I always say yes.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of JTA or its parent company, 70 Faces Media.
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Come With Us on a Journey to Explore the Post Malone Tattoo Cosmos - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021
- WWE news: The Rock's incredible 30-year body transformation - GIVEMESPORT - February 6th, 2021
- Man Robbed Restaurant That Refused To Serve Him For Not Wearing A Mask | KFI AM 640 - KFI AM 640 - February 6th, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc: Rebecca's Husband Zied Before & After Weight Loss Transformation - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Amber Heard Reacts To Marilyn Manson Allegations, Connects Them To Johnny Depp - PerezHilton.com - February 6th, 2021
- Hall of boyfriends: All the men Jeffree Star trapped into a relationship Film Daily - Film Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Dispatches: Now Is the Perfect Time To Visit Tahiti - Men's Journal - February 2nd, 2021
- Post Malone's 'Imperial' Haircut Is The Hottest Men's Grooming Trend Right Now - DMARGE - February 2nd, 2021
- You Shall Not Pass: Fandom & The Gatekeeping of Femme Fans - Fandom Spotlite - February 2nd, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Man accused of beating and shooting shopper who bumped into him - wreg.com - January 31st, 2021
- Broken Justice: How Spokane County officials threw an innocent man behind bars and allowed the real killer to go free - Pacific Northwest Inlander - January 30th, 2021
- Is Alev Aydin Halsey's Baby Daddy? What You Need To Know About The Writer-Producer - OK! - January 30th, 2021
- A Home Heating Crisis. A Devastating Forest Fire Waiting to Happen. One Innovative Solution. - Slate - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021
- Far-right Proud Boys who idolise Donald Trump are operating in Scotland - Daily Record - January 25th, 2021
- Jake Ryan reveals how he prepared to play a gang leader in New Zealand film Savage - Nine - January 25th, 2021
- Kevin Owens Gives Roman Reigns A Personal Reason About Why He Won't Stop Fighting - Wrestling Inc. - January 25th, 2021
- 2 people from Western Pennsylvania charged in connection with Capitol riot - WTAE Pittsburgh - January 25th, 2021
- 'The right thing to do': Worcester County Jail and House of Correction staff, inmates grateful to receive COVID-19 vaccine - Worcester Telegram - January 25th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- The moment MLKs daughter and a former neo-Nazi formed an unlikely friendship - Face2Face Africa - January 22nd, 2021
- UK lotto winner shares photo of her bizarre bum tattoos on Instagram - NEWS.com.au - January 22nd, 2021
- Williams: We can agree to disagree, but let's do it with civility - The Winchester Star - January 22nd, 2021
- Madhya Pradesh: View the aesthetic side of Dewar, Rabari nomads, which Bhopal museum has showcased for you - Free Press Journal - January 22nd, 2021
- 'This Is Awesome!': Another Proud Boys Leader Arrested for Storming U.S. Capitol - The Daily Beast - January 22nd, 2021
- Texas bikers say cops have unfairly labeled them as gang members - Houston Chronicle - January 22nd, 2021
- Looking for business in the front and a party in the back? Ashley Medina is Lansing's mullet maestro - WSYM-TV - January 20th, 2021
- US Capitol riots: The coded tattoos and flags, and the far-right stories they tell - Stuff.co.nz - January 20th, 2021
- Diplo Strips Down To Surf, Shows Off His Amazing Bod And Tats - OK! - January 20th, 2021
- After the Capitol riot, one Florida man became 'Podium Guy': Another man turned him in - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2021
- How four lads on a night out became a viral meme these men from Birmingham are internet famous! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - January 20th, 2021
- The Aroma of Progress at the Court of Master Sommeliers - Vinography - January 20th, 2021
- Blood donor study could help lift restrictions for gay and bisexual men - PhillyVoice.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Ariana Grande Relationship Timeline : Pete Davidson to Dalton Gomez, Dating History. Read all about it here! - Stanford Arts Review - January 3rd, 2021
- "Why I stopped drinking alcohol at the age of 26" - cosmopolitan.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Andrew Tracey - Men's health UK - January 3rd, 2021
- Police agencies seeking public's help after pair of thieves hits four jewelry stores - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 3rd, 2021
- The life and death of Billy Baggett: Part I - Street Roots News - December 28th, 2020
- FDA considers lifting restrictions on blood donations by gay and bi men - WPSD Local 6 - December 28th, 2020
- Taiwan in Time: The first Truku convert - - December 27th, 2020
- My Messed-Up Family Drove Me to the Other Side of the World for Christmas - The Daily Beast - December 25th, 2020
- What if the biggest games of 2020 had Christmas spin-offs? - PCGamesN - December 25th, 2020
- Peaky Blinders filming is returning - and they need extras from the North - Times & Star - December 19th, 2020
- All of us here have killed someone The New Mutants - tor.com - December 19th, 2020