To prepare to play the violent leader of a gang in the film Savage, Jake Ryan spent a month hanging out with past and current members. It was the first of several eye opening experiences the Australian would have while making the film, and one that left a definite impact.
Savage tells the story of Danny as a child, teen and adult over 30 years and is inspired by the history of New Zealand gangs. The movie also explores the abuse suffered by kids in the state care system and the impact that had on the choices they made in their adult lives.
Chatting with men who had experienced abuse and gone on to become gang members was particularly moving for Ryan, who plays the adult version of Danny, known as Damage.
"To see these grown men you wouldn't look sideways at these guys but to see them shedding a tear and talking about their childhood, which no one's asked them about before, was really powerful," he told 9Entertainment.
"In no way does the film glorify the gang violence or justify what they get up to but to get an understanding of what makes a young boy, an innocent young child who wants to be at home with his mum and family, fast forward to brutal enforcer of a gang, to see that process.
"Any kid in the world that suffers the abuse that these guys did, society's going to have some repercussions down the track."
But what really helped Ryan get into character was spending time in a shopping mall while in costume with Damage's face tattoos and a mullet. The suggestion came from the film's director Sam Kelly, who wanted Ryan to see how people reacted.
"I didn't have to do anything and people were parting ways, and people looked terrified, they wouldn't make eye contact. At first I was quite scared to do it and then you start resenting people for judging you and then you're craving connection... it was amazing what a couple of stickers on your face and a haircut [can do], how you can be perceived by society," he explained.
To help remain in character, Ryan and Kelly decided Ryan wouldn't have any contact with cast and crew in between takes, to enhance Damage's sense of isolation from others. It was a big change for the 37-year-old as he typically enjoys socialising with the crew during breaks on set.
RELATED: How showrunner Anna Fricke has transformed iconic series Walker for a modern audience
So after each long day of filming, Ryan underwent a kind of ritual with his makeup artist that not only removed the tattoos but was like a cleansing of the character.
"That was a bit of a process to wash [the tattoos] away, because the makeup artist [Stefan Knight] was lovely, he'd put nice music on and there'd be aromatherapy going on and I'd pretty much get a full facial every day after work... that relaxed me a lot."
And once filming was done there was no time to ruminate about the role because Ryan returned to the set of Home and Away two days later.
"Usually you get those post-shoot blues... I didn't have time because I was back into the sunny, loving happy world of Summer Bay. It was a blessing because you just had to roll into the next one."
That's not to say the role didn't leave a mark on Ryan. He is now more aware of the kind of circumstances that shape people, as well as discovering an untold part of New Zealand's history. He hopes the film has the same impact on viewers.
"I think what hit me when I finished it was a little less judgment for people in society," he said. "Whether they are, not necessarily just a gang member, but you don't know what someone's gone through that day, or the week before, or their whole life, or their childhood.
"And I think what was really important for this story was to tell the systemic failure that went on for years there with these orphans getting abused, mentally, physically, sexually and nothing being done about it no one talking about it, they were too scared to talk about it so that conversation is starting to come out now in New Zealand."
With Savage now available to stream in Australia on Stan, Ryan has turned his focus to his next project with a role in Wyrmwood Apocalypse, which has just started filming in Sydney.
He will also appear in an episode of Nine's new drama Amazing Grace as well as Nicole Kidman's star-studded series Nine Perfect Strangers, and the Australian film Streamline.
RELATED: How It's A Sin writer Russell T. Davies drew on his own life for powerful new drama series
"It's good to try and change it up if you can, but at the end of the day the current climate that it is, work's work," he said when asked about his goals for the future. "If there was a TV show that came up that was interesting and felt like it was a challenge, I'd jump at it in a heartbeat, same if it was a film or particular director.
"But I think at the moment you've got to be pretty grateful no matter how big or small the job. I've done a few small days on some shows recently and it's just great to be on set while the world is in limbo how lucky you are to be on a production and on a set and doing what you love."
Savage is now available for streaming on Stan.
Guide to the cast of True History of the Kelly Gang
Rising stars and international names playing iconic characters
Nine Entertainment Co (the publisher of this website) owns and operates the streaming service Stan.
The rest is here:
Jake Ryan reveals how he prepared to play a gang leader in New Zealand film Savage - Nine
- 300+ Inspirational Tattoo Quotes For Men (2021) Short ... - July 26th, 2021
- Caeleb Dressel on the precipice of becoming the next Michael Phelps - Los Angeles Times - July 26th, 2021
- Hairline Tattooing and What You Need to Know - menshealth.com - July 26th, 2021
- Police find man dead in Savannah. But who is he? They need your help to find out - WJCL News - July 26th, 2021
- Manchester United's Mason Greenwood explains the thinking behind his tattoos - Manchester Evening News - July 26th, 2021
- Love Islands Abigail will have head turned in Casa Amor claims best friend as he reveals she likes OLDER... - The Sun - July 26th, 2021
- Love Is Blind: Meet 5 Kenyan Men Who Have Dated Socialite Amber Ray Kenya News - Tuko.co.ke - July 26th, 2021
- The Nottinghamshire working men's club that has been going strong for nearly 100 years - Nottinghamshire Live - July 26th, 2021
- The names and mugshots of Lancashire's FIVE most wanted men - Lancashire Telegraph - July 26th, 2021
- Viral Therapist Shows Men's 'Audacity' on Dating Apps, Including Requests to be Submissive - Newsweek - June 30th, 2021
- This BBQ Pitmaster Is Competing on Food NetworkWith a Three Percenter Tattoo - Daily Beast - June 30th, 2021
- Why Harley Quinn's Face Tattoo Is Missing In The Suicide Squad - TVOvermind - June 30th, 2021
- Men who come to this BGC salon want their brows shaped and still look 'brusko' - ANCX - June 30th, 2021
- The Tattoo Industry Is Changing and Queer-Owned Spaces Are Leading the Charge - POPSUGAR - June 30th, 2021
- Love Island fans convinced Chloe will choose Jake - as teaser clip suggests major shakeup in the villa - Bristol Live - June 30th, 2021
- The full list of all the new shows and movies coming to Netflix in July - JOE.ie - June 30th, 2021
- Kennedy Teams Up With AFL Legend Dustin Martin On Exclusive Watch Collection - DMARGE - June 13th, 2021
- Euro 2020: Gab Marcotti's players to know, cult heroes on all 24 teams - ESPN - June 13th, 2021
- 3 Things to Think About Before You Get Your First Tattoo - menshealth.com - May 8th, 2021
- Tom Dunne's Music & Me: The axe-men cometh, and they've got loads of effects pedals - Irish Examiner - May 8th, 2021
- 'Tattoos look like skin disease': The prejudice people still face and the artists fighting it - Wales Online - May 8th, 2021
- Two shoppers may have witnessed moment man, 23, was stabbed to death - Liverpool Echo - May 8th, 2021
- Wrath of Ritchie - Splice Today - May 8th, 2021
- My Teen Is About to Fall Down the Male-Power Incel Rabbit Hole - Slate - May 8th, 2021
- Scar Stories: The Toll of Colon Cancer - GQ Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Come With Us on a Journey to Explore the Post Malone Tattoo Cosmos - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021
- WWE news: The Rock's incredible 30-year body transformation - GIVEMESPORT - February 6th, 2021
- Man Robbed Restaurant That Refused To Serve Him For Not Wearing A Mask | KFI AM 640 - KFI AM 640 - February 6th, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc: Rebecca's Husband Zied Before & After Weight Loss Transformation - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Amber Heard Reacts To Marilyn Manson Allegations, Connects Them To Johnny Depp - PerezHilton.com - February 6th, 2021
- Hall of boyfriends: All the men Jeffree Star trapped into a relationship Film Daily - Film Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Dispatches: Now Is the Perfect Time To Visit Tahiti - Men's Journal - February 2nd, 2021
- Post Malone's 'Imperial' Haircut Is The Hottest Men's Grooming Trend Right Now - DMARGE - February 2nd, 2021
- You Shall Not Pass: Fandom & The Gatekeeping of Femme Fans - Fandom Spotlite - February 2nd, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Man accused of beating and shooting shopper who bumped into him - wreg.com - January 31st, 2021
- Broken Justice: How Spokane County officials threw an innocent man behind bars and allowed the real killer to go free - Pacific Northwest Inlander - January 30th, 2021
- Is Alev Aydin Halsey's Baby Daddy? What You Need To Know About The Writer-Producer - OK! - January 30th, 2021
- A Home Heating Crisis. A Devastating Forest Fire Waiting to Happen. One Innovative Solution. - Slate - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021
- Shortly after I began converting to Judaism, I found myself in a hot tub full of neo-Nazis - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - January 25th, 2021
- Far-right Proud Boys who idolise Donald Trump are operating in Scotland - Daily Record - January 25th, 2021
- Kevin Owens Gives Roman Reigns A Personal Reason About Why He Won't Stop Fighting - Wrestling Inc. - January 25th, 2021
- 2 people from Western Pennsylvania charged in connection with Capitol riot - WTAE Pittsburgh - January 25th, 2021
- 'The right thing to do': Worcester County Jail and House of Correction staff, inmates grateful to receive COVID-19 vaccine - Worcester Telegram - January 25th, 2021