A tattooist publicly shamed a customer after claiming they used coronavirus to try and get free art work.
David McKinlay thought he'd earned another client when an unnamed woman requested a new ink design, but it quickly became apparent she had no intention of paying for the job
He claims she tried to dodge the design deposit "since he's not working", but the straight-talking owner of Archangel 1608 Tattoo Studio in Glasgow, Scotland, quickly shut her down.
Once the 43-year-old had reassured her that he's not 'sitting around, scratching his a**e' she even revealed plans for her boyfriend to attempt the inking anyway.
No-nonsense David quickly rebuffed the request, labelling the two a 'pair of pr**ks' and eventually warning the chancer he 'won't be treated like a mug'.
He posted screengrabs of the exchange on his Facebook page on Friday, January 8 three days after the pair's last message [JAN 6] and it's since been shared more than 9,000 times.
The artist claimed a number of 'entitled' tattoo enthusiasts have requested free work since lockdown and has warned those considering inking themselves to 'leave it to the professionals'.
David from Maryhill, Glasgow, Scotland, said: "From this girl's second message it was blatant she was just trying to get something for free.
"I don't think I was rude, but I was more sharp because I knew she was a time waster.
"There's this misconception that because we're not physically able to tattoo, that we're not working.
"We're rearranging six weeks worth of appointments from the end of December through all January and we also have to finish off designs for everyone booked in.
"We're still replying to more and more enquiries as well, and the majority of these are genuine. We have had a people who have no intention of being tattooed by us, but this is the pinnacle.
"We match people's energy and if people are excited and they're cool, we'll give that back to them. If people come with an attitude, like she did, we'll give them attitude as well.
"Everything starts to fall away when she tells me her boyfriend is going to do [the tattoo] with a cheap internet kit. All cards are off the table then. I'm not going to be taken for a mug.
"It's insulting that she wants us to do the groundwork so her boyfriend can go and scar her skin, and the tattoo they'll do will never live up to the expectations she has.
"She didn't like it when she was told no and she realised she's not getting her way. It boils down to the sense of entitlement some people have.
"She said her boyfriend can't even draw, so I'd love to see it when it's done. That'd be amazing."
The mystery tattoo enthusiast used all capital letters in her first few messages before the dad-of-two David told her to turn caps lock off.
She told him shed got her boyfriend his own tattoo machine for Christmas but he 'can't draw', and that's why she wanted him to produce the design for free while the studio is closed.
All studios were forced to close on Christmas Eve and won't be able to ink any clients until lockdown restrictions ease in February at the earliest.
David insists his clients pay a deposit before the design process begins to avoid wasting his time if they choose to go elsewhere or turn down the tattoo.
The Glasgow tattoo studio owner claims around one third of his tattoos are cover-up jobs after people have attempted to do their own, like the brazen customer planned to do.
David said: "[The machines] are utter horse sh*t. An experienced tattoo artist would struggle to do a good tattoo with the cheap machines you can buy on the internet.
"If that's what you're going to do then you deserve everything you get. That's going to be a bad tattoo, scarred skin and a risk of septicemia.
"If you do it yourself, you're basically trying to do an oil painting with a toothpick because you don't have the proper equipment.
"You're going to have a tattoo forever, so you're better to wait a wee bit longer and get it done properly rather than rushing for the sake of getting it done."
David, who lives with 38-year-old wife Sharon McKinlay and their two children Kendal McKinlay, 20 and Cassie McKinlay, 13, opened his studio in 2005.
His Facebook post has received more than 17,000 likes and more than 6,100 comments, with many heaping praise on him for the way he dealt with the cheeky customer.
David's post said: "Disclaimer - please dont worry about contacting us about your next tattoo. Were always polite and courteous, until were treated like d**ks.
"We will match your energy - if youre excited, were excited...if youre an arsehole, well drag you down to our level and beat you with experience."
Whyte Danni replied: "Well that cheered up my so far sh*t day, thank you for sharing that. Good luck with your infection love. I think with that brain capacity lockdown is good for her, keep her inside."
Beth Forrest "You really do attract some absolute fruitcakes. Well done for handling it all with panache."
Jen Mcm: "Not gonna lie, I hope he does that tattoo on her, assuming he can get the machine started."
Nikita Green replied: "Give him chance. Hes still trying to work out how to open the ink bottles."
See more here:
- Tattoo Studios On Central, South Coasts Among Businesses Hard Hit By Pandemic, But Artists Excited To Be Back To Work - kclu.org - May 8th, 2021
- I got a hideous tattoo while on holiday. 20 years later, I've covered it up - CNN - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? You're not alone. Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic. - Detroit Free Press - May 8th, 2021
- Looking to get a tattoo? Artists say they're seeing increased demand, despite the pandemic - USA TODAY - May 8th, 2021
- Sacramento County businesses are still expanding in the midst of a pandemic - American River Current - May 8th, 2021
- Drake Reveals Custom Rolls-Royce Cullinan And It Looks Mean - CarBuzz - May 8th, 2021
- Bloke gets tattoo of lawnmower inked on his head as tribute to tragic brother - Daily Star - May 8th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 8th, 2021
- Inklanation Custom Tattoos & Piercings' 5 year anniversary with the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce - Cape Fear Business - May 8th, 2021
- See Dundee graffiti artists impressive 50-metre waterfront mural of the Tay Whale - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- The Best of the South Sound 2021 - southsoundmag.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything is Temporary at Ephemeral Tattoo - INKED - April 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo addiction: Is it real? - The New Indian Express - April 23rd, 2021
- People think theyre better than me or assume Im stupid because Im a single mum with 95% of my body cover... - The Sun - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market 2021 by Production, Trends, Advancement and Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2028 Clark County Blog - Clark... - April 23rd, 2021
- In the Mix: Amy Leavell Bransford will expand Aviary to Summerhill - Atlanta Intown - April 23rd, 2021
- Find the best ink for you - Lithgow Mercury - April 23rd, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 5th, 2021
- A Conversation With Medusa Tattoo Studio: COVID-19 and Ithaca Tattooing - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - April 5th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 5th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 5th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 5th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 5th, 2021
- The Vikings have invaded - but this time swapping swords for ink and tattoos - The Northern Echo - April 5th, 2021
- RIGHTEOUS TATTOO STUDIO - Home - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoos Utica, NY - Tattoo U Studio - March 9th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Studio Software Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - March 9th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 9th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - March 9th, 2021
- Making grief visible: When tattoos help cope with the loss of a loved one - CBC.ca - March 9th, 2021
- Rachit Jadoun - A Professional Tattoo Artist Is All Set To Make His Name In The Industry - Social News XYZ - March 9th, 2021
- These Miley Cyrus Tattoos Are Dedicated to Her Exes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 9th, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Celebrating five of Salisbury's independent salons and shops - Salisbury Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 5th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the offensive requests they refuse - Daily Star - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021