A tattooist publicly shamed a customer after claiming they used coronavirus to try and get free art work.
David McKinlay thought he'd earned another client when an unnamed woman requested a new ink design, but it quickly became apparent she had no intention of paying for the job
He claims she tried to dodge the design deposit "since he's not working", but the straight-talking owner of Archangel 1608 Tattoo Studio in Glasgow, Scotland, quickly shut her down.
Once the 43-year-old had reassured her that he's not 'sitting around, scratching his a**e' she even revealed plans for her boyfriend to attempt the inking anyway.
No-nonsense David quickly rebuffed the request, labelling the two a 'pair of pr**ks' and eventually warning the chancer he 'won't be treated like a mug'.
He posted screengrabs of the exchange on his Facebook page on Friday, January 8 three days after the pair's last message [JAN 6] and it's since been shared more than 9,000 times.
The artist claimed a number of 'entitled' tattoo enthusiasts have requested free work since lockdown and has warned those considering inking themselves to 'leave it to the professionals'.
David from Maryhill, Glasgow, Scotland, said: "From this girl's second message it was blatant she was just trying to get something for free.
"I don't think I was rude, but I was more sharp because I knew she was a time waster.
"There's this misconception that because we're not physically able to tattoo, that we're not working.
"We're rearranging six weeks worth of appointments from the end of December through all January and we also have to finish off designs for everyone booked in.
"We're still replying to more and more enquiries as well, and the majority of these are genuine. We have had a people who have no intention of being tattooed by us, but this is the pinnacle.
"We match people's energy and if people are excited and they're cool, we'll give that back to them. If people come with an attitude, like she did, we'll give them attitude as well.
"Everything starts to fall away when she tells me her boyfriend is going to do [the tattoo] with a cheap internet kit. All cards are off the table then. I'm not going to be taken for a mug.
"It's insulting that she wants us to do the groundwork so her boyfriend can go and scar her skin, and the tattoo they'll do will never live up to the expectations she has.
"She didn't like it when she was told no and she realised she's not getting her way. It boils down to the sense of entitlement some people have.
"She said her boyfriend can't even draw, so I'd love to see it when it's done. That'd be amazing."
The mystery tattoo enthusiast used all capital letters in her first few messages before the dad-of-two David told her to turn caps lock off.
She told him shed got her boyfriend his own tattoo machine for Christmas but he 'can't draw', and that's why she wanted him to produce the design for free while the studio is closed.
All studios were forced to close on Christmas Eve and won't be able to ink any clients until lockdown restrictions ease in February at the earliest.
David insists his clients pay a deposit before the design process begins to avoid wasting his time if they choose to go elsewhere or turn down the tattoo.
The Glasgow tattoo studio owner claims around one third of his tattoos are cover-up jobs after people have attempted to do their own, like the brazen customer planned to do.
David said: "[The machines] are utter horse sh*t. An experienced tattoo artist would struggle to do a good tattoo with the cheap machines you can buy on the internet.
"If that's what you're going to do then you deserve everything you get. That's going to be a bad tattoo, scarred skin and a risk of septicemia.
"If you do it yourself, you're basically trying to do an oil painting with a toothpick because you don't have the proper equipment.
"You're going to have a tattoo forever, so you're better to wait a wee bit longer and get it done properly rather than rushing for the sake of getting it done."
David, who lives with 38-year-old wife Sharon McKinlay and their two children Kendal McKinlay, 20 and Cassie McKinlay, 13, opened his studio in 2005.
His Facebook post has received more than 17,000 likes and more than 6,100 comments, with many heaping praise on him for the way he dealt with the cheeky customer.
David's post said: "Disclaimer - please dont worry about contacting us about your next tattoo. Were always polite and courteous, until were treated like d**ks.
"We will match your energy - if youre excited, were excited...if youre an arsehole, well drag you down to our level and beat you with experience."
Whyte Danni replied: "Well that cheered up my so far sh*t day, thank you for sharing that. Good luck with your infection love. I think with that brain capacity lockdown is good for her, keep her inside."
Beth Forrest "You really do attract some absolute fruitcakes. Well done for handling it all with panache."
Jen Mcm: "Not gonna lie, I hope he does that tattoo on her, assuming he can get the machine started."
Nikita Green replied: "Give him chance. Hes still trying to work out how to open the ink bottles."
See more here:
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Celebrating five of Salisbury's independent salons and shops - Salisbury Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 5th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the offensive requests they refuse - Daily Star - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021
- Hublot Expands Its Classic Fusion Orlinski Collection With Two New Ceramic Watches - aBlogtoWatch - January 27th, 2021
- Sterilize your knives and other kitchen utensils with just the push of a button - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 27th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Tugs Down Her Pants To Show Off Her Lace Panties, Butt, And Tattoo - The Inquisitr - January 27th, 2021
- Sherbrooke-based tattoo artists ready to get back to the studio - Sherbrooke Record - January 22nd, 2021
- Musician tattoos | Tats inspired by their own music - Alternative Press - January 22nd, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market report has been assessed in accordance with the current Market trends 2020 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- The 5 Top Piercing Trends Pros Are Predicting For 2021 - Refinery29 - January 20th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Lincolnshire during the pandemic - Lincolnshire Live - January 20th, 2021
- Rhude Fall 2021 Ready-to-Wear Collection - Vogue.com - January 20th, 2021
- New Mural in Brewery Block - Big Island Now - January 15th, 2021
- UD Artist Spotlight: Colleen Anderson The Review - University of Delaware Review - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Insider - INSIDER - January 12th, 2021
- Parents cause outrage by subjecting their 7-year-old daughter to a tattoo on her leg - Explica - January 12th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Nottinghamshire during the pandemic - Nottinghamshire Live - January 9th, 2021
- Buzz in the CBD as Lismore inks in new tattoo studio - Northern Star - January 9th, 2021
- Ashley Martson removes tattoo dedicated to ex-husband Jay Smith - Monsters and Critics - January 9th, 2021
- ON THE RECORD: Harmonica man Sugar Blue and 'huh?' - The Sanford Herald - January 9th, 2021
- Young Cornish tattooist is 'like an old lady' because of condition - Cornwall Live - January 5th, 2021
- Business notes: Cinder and Sea to hold art classes in the new year - Cowichan Valley Citizen - January 3rd, 2021
- Striking image takes first place in Cleator Moor competition | News and Star - News & Star - January 3rd, 2021
- 15 things to watch out for in the new Pixar movie - Inspired Traveler - December 31st, 2020
- The Glasgow 'society tattooist' admired by Billy Connolly and the upper classes - Glasgow Times - December 28th, 2020
- blackbear Thrived This Year and Probably Will Next Year - SPIN - December 28th, 2020
- Planning chiefs give the go-ahead for retail unit to be turned into tattoo studio - Salisbury Journal - December 25th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 2: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 2 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Kat Von D, famed tattoo artist, slams California's 'tyrannical' overreach: 'Indiana here we come!' - Washington Times - December 25th, 2020
- Disneys Snow White: 10 Evil Queen Tattoos That Prove She Was The Fairest Of Them All - Screen Rant - December 25th, 2020
- Bollywood tattoo artist Vikas Malani on how COVID-19 affected the tattoo industry - The Hindu - December 25th, 2020
- Man travels 7km along SH1 on back of his stolen ute, trying to convince alleged thief to stop - Stuff.co.nz - December 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Tattoos: The Correlation To Your Safety - Mid-day - December 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter Shows Off Her First Tattoo, And Her Costars Have Some Thoughts - The Inquisitr - December 19th, 2020
- How Many Tattoos Does Dua Lipa Have? Inside All of Her Tattoos and Their Meanings - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 19th, 2020