Professional tattoo artists may ink thousands of designs over the course of their careers, so it's no surprise they develop their own preferences and opinions on body art.
Here are some of tattoo artists' favorite things to ink and a few designs that they wish clients would stop requesting:
Stephan Hipwell, tattoo artist at and owner of Goodbye Horses studio in Norwich, England, told Insider that he adores giving customers bright, bold statement tattoos.
"One of my favorite things to ink are big pieces that are really vibrant and have an impactful design," Hipwell said. "I find statement pieces that cover large areas of the body really pleasing."
Clients should also keep in mind that large statement tattoos often require multiple sessions and can cost much more than smaller designs.
Blackwork tattoos make use of negative space. UfaBizPhoto/Shuttershock
Josh Hall, tattooer and owner of Lamar Street Tattoo Club in Dallas, Texas, told Insider that he loves inking designs with strong, black lines.
"I love doing tattoos with bold, strong, clean lines," Hall said. "Currently, I'm really enjoying doing traditional blackwork designs."
Although it lacks vibrant color, blackwork body art uses dark ink and negative space to create elaborate patterns and images on the skin.
Minimalist tattoos are trendy. Shuttershock
Alicia Hough, former tattoo artist and wellness expert with The Product Analyst, told Insider that she loves inking minimalist designs.
"Minimalist tattoos look clean and cool on the skin, and for me, they're more satisfying than doing huge ones," Hough said.
Hough added that she enjoys inking paper planes, daisies, and celestial bodies, among other art of this variety.
Ashkon, an artist for Club Tattoo at Miracle Miles Shops in Las Vegas, Nevada, told Insider that he thinks ink designs that use mandala patterns are fun to give and look great.
"I really enjoy giving clients tattoos that incorporate mandalas or other geometric types of designs," Ashkon said.
Mandalas are geometric patterns tied to Hindu, Buddhist, Jainist, and Shinto traditions and used for varying spiritual purposes, like guiding meditation or representing deities.
Medical-tattoo practitioner Hannah Maruyama of Yama Studios in Hawaii told Insider that it makes her happy to give scalp tattoos to clients with thinning hair.
"Creating a new hairline gives someone such a new lease on life," Maruyama said. "It's hours of work, but seeing them laugh in disbelief when they see their reflection is awesome."
Medical tattooers specialize in designs that disguise clinical procedures and recreate or enhance features like hair, areolae, fingernails, lip color, and belly buttons.
Other colorful bird tattoos can be just as eye-catching. Nicole Weiss/Shuttershock
A phoenix is a mythological bird derived from ancient folklore that periodically bursts into flames and is reborn from its own ashes.
"Phoenix tattoos are a big hit with our clients because the design beautifully fits everyone," Hough said. "Tattoos with gradient hues are eye-catching and feel alive."
Parrots and peacocks are also popular avian choices for clients who love the idea of a colorful bird tattoo
Tattoos with thin, wispy text may look good at first, but Hall told Insider that he tries to dissuade clients from getting body art that includes small words.
"Tiny fonts in small spaces often won't look remotely the same after a few years," Hall said. "The delicate text can end up as a blurry blob."
If you want to incorporate words into your tattoo design, opting for larger lettering can help reduce the chances of blurring.
You should also consult with a professional to figure out the best place to get inked, as some parts of the body may show tattoo aging faster than others.
It's common for people looking for a new tattoo to research options and images online, but Hipwell said it makes tattoo artists groan when a client asks for an overly trendy design.
"I wish clients would stop asking for 'in' tattoos," Hipwell said. "It's annoying when people just want fashionable designs rather than expressing themselves."
Although it's definitely helpful to bring in pictures for reference, consider how you want the tattoo to be personalized to you.
Heart and skulls tattoos can be a bit overdone. Shutterstock
Hearts and skulls are popular tattoo motifs, but Hough said she thinks they're overdone and not a good fit for everyone.
"I really don't like giving clients heart and skull tattoos," Hough said. "They tend to look very generic and mainstream."
Hough recommended choosing a design that is suited to the area of the body you're looking to tattoo and is unique to you.
Tattooed makeup, also known as permanent makeup, is often requested by people looking to spend less time on their beauty routine or wanting to enhance certain facial features.
But Maruyama said that some kinds of permanent makeup can be a bad idea.
"I hate tattooing heavy winged eyeliner," Maruyama said. "It doesn't age very well, and I don't like putting tattoos on people that won't age well."
It may be worth investing in other cosmetic options, like eyebrow microblading or a lip blush, that are less drastic but will still save you time in the morning.
Tribal tattoos are still used in several cultural customs today. Shuttershock
Tribal-style tattoos experienced a surge in popularity during the late 1990s and early 2000s. But Ashkon told Insider that inking this type of design isn't always fun for tattoo artists.
"I don't like giving tribal tattoos," Ashkon said. "They look dated and they're actually boring to do."
If you are considering getting inked in this style, which dates back thousands of years, be sure to do your research as the meanings and significance can vary from culture to culture.
Go here to read the rest:
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Celebrating five of Salisbury's independent salons and shops - Salisbury Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 5th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the offensive requests they refuse - Daily Star - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021
- Hublot Expands Its Classic Fusion Orlinski Collection With Two New Ceramic Watches - aBlogtoWatch - January 27th, 2021
- Sterilize your knives and other kitchen utensils with just the push of a button - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 27th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Tugs Down Her Pants To Show Off Her Lace Panties, Butt, And Tattoo - The Inquisitr - January 27th, 2021
- Sherbrooke-based tattoo artists ready to get back to the studio - Sherbrooke Record - January 22nd, 2021
- Musician tattoos | Tats inspired by their own music - Alternative Press - January 22nd, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market report has been assessed in accordance with the current Market trends 2020 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Tattooist publicly shames customer who tried to get away without paying 'due to Covid' - Mirror Online - January 20th, 2021
- The 5 Top Piercing Trends Pros Are Predicting For 2021 - Refinery29 - January 20th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Lincolnshire during the pandemic - Lincolnshire Live - January 20th, 2021
- Rhude Fall 2021 Ready-to-Wear Collection - Vogue.com - January 20th, 2021
- New Mural in Brewery Block - Big Island Now - January 15th, 2021
- UD Artist Spotlight: Colleen Anderson The Review - University of Delaware Review - January 15th, 2021
- Parents cause outrage by subjecting their 7-year-old daughter to a tattoo on her leg - Explica - January 12th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Nottinghamshire during the pandemic - Nottinghamshire Live - January 9th, 2021
- Buzz in the CBD as Lismore inks in new tattoo studio - Northern Star - January 9th, 2021
- Ashley Martson removes tattoo dedicated to ex-husband Jay Smith - Monsters and Critics - January 9th, 2021
- ON THE RECORD: Harmonica man Sugar Blue and 'huh?' - The Sanford Herald - January 9th, 2021
- Young Cornish tattooist is 'like an old lady' because of condition - Cornwall Live - January 5th, 2021
- Business notes: Cinder and Sea to hold art classes in the new year - Cowichan Valley Citizen - January 3rd, 2021
- Striking image takes first place in Cleator Moor competition | News and Star - News & Star - January 3rd, 2021
- 15 things to watch out for in the new Pixar movie - Inspired Traveler - December 31st, 2020
- The Glasgow 'society tattooist' admired by Billy Connolly and the upper classes - Glasgow Times - December 28th, 2020
- blackbear Thrived This Year and Probably Will Next Year - SPIN - December 28th, 2020
- Planning chiefs give the go-ahead for retail unit to be turned into tattoo studio - Salisbury Journal - December 25th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 2: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 2 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Kat Von D, famed tattoo artist, slams California's 'tyrannical' overreach: 'Indiana here we come!' - Washington Times - December 25th, 2020
- Disneys Snow White: 10 Evil Queen Tattoos That Prove She Was The Fairest Of Them All - Screen Rant - December 25th, 2020
- Bollywood tattoo artist Vikas Malani on how COVID-19 affected the tattoo industry - The Hindu - December 25th, 2020
- Man travels 7km along SH1 on back of his stolen ute, trying to convince alleged thief to stop - Stuff.co.nz - December 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Tattoos: The Correlation To Your Safety - Mid-day - December 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter Shows Off Her First Tattoo, And Her Costars Have Some Thoughts - The Inquisitr - December 19th, 2020
- How Many Tattoos Does Dua Lipa Have? Inside All of Her Tattoos and Their Meanings - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 19th, 2020