Getty | Katie WildeGetty Images
The day I turned 18 was the same day I found out that Id secured my place at university. I celebrated the fact that I was now fabulously mature and on the brink of imminent freedom by swaggering down to my local Wetherspoons and ordering the most adult drink I knew a pitcher of Blue Lagoon.
Before that moment, drinking had never really appealed to me. Being naturally confident at that age, I couldnt really understand why people needed booze to come out of their shell. Id only been drunk once before and I knew I didnt like it. Still, this felt like a rite of passage and the fact that it didnt have to be, never even crossed my mind.
Three weeks later, my parents dropped me off at university and, having previously been both popular and top(ish) of my class, I was quite surprised when I struggled not only to connect with people but to grasp the learning aspect of student life too. It seemed that whilst Id just spent the summer at the park with my friends, everyone else had tales about bamboo tattoos and washing elephants in Thailand. My tutor started my first seminar by asking each of us about the last book wed read and I followed up someones declaration of Orwells 198 with The Hunger Games.
Thankfully, I finally made some friends and I also got a job handing out flyers for a nightclub on Brighton seafront. The pay was crap, the hours were late - but after our shift, I could drink for free. I once heard that if you dont like something, you should try it seven times and then, inevitably, you will. I dont know how true this is, but it definitely worked for alcohol.
I actually have a special talent for attracting triple-threat friends, meaning they are always extremely beautiful, intelligent and kind something thats all very well and good unless youre a jealous 18-year-old, obsessed by the validation of men, and said men only want to talk to your prettier, smarter and funnier friends. Luckily (or unluckily as I see it now), I quickly learnt that alcohol will hush your insecurities faster than you can say 'therapy' and so my loud, zero-fucks party girl persona was born.
Things escalated pretty quickly. By my third year, Id garnered quite the reputation for my drunken antics. Id been carried out of all the well-known nightclubs and turned up to many a lecture, still unashamedly tipsy from the night before. I also got myself a job at Vodka Revolutions, which is hardly the optimum setting for someone who visibly needs to cut down on their drinking. By this point, I was regularly experiencing blackouts; losing huge parts of my nights to alcohol and suffering from hellish bouts of hangover anxiety. I actually dont remember much of my graduation ball at all.
After leaving University with a 2:1 in English (but a 1st in drinking), I showed no signs of slowing down when I went to work in Fashion PR. One of my jobs had extreme fash-hun culture, where we worked from 8am-8pm, stopping only for cigarette breaks, and then spent the rest of the evening drinking wine in the pub and bitching about how much we hated our jobs. But we loved each other and we loved drinking, so despite the fact I always felt on the edge of a nervous breakdown, my love affair with alcohol continued.
When I left that job for my dream role writing for a magazine, I knew I needed to take things a bit more seriously. As a result, I vowed not to drink in the week. This meant my alcohol consumption was now allocated solely to the weekend, so I could only embarrass myself in front of my friends and not the colleagues who would ultimately decide the trajectory of my writing career.
During this time, I embodied the definition of binge-drinking. My blackouts became worse, my anxiety sky high, and when I broke up with my long-term boyfriend at the end of 2017, my self-esteem hit a whopping new low. Inevitably, I tried (unsuccessfully) to fix the situation with tequila, Jegerbombs and significantly more tequila. Though it was probably my worst bout of drinking, there isnt much to say about this part because, frankly, I dont remember much of it. Its essentially one boozy, anxious blur.
"My blackouts became worse, my anxiety sky high"
On 11 February 2018, I woke up with a raging hangover, no memory of my night and a text from my friend to inform me that I tried to throw her burrito out the window of an Uber. Perhaps not your typical rock-bottom but that morning I declared that I was never drinking again. Im not sure if it was the shame surrounding my clearly reckless attitude to Mexican food or the inexplicable anxiety/soul-crushing sadness but this time, unlike all the others times Id said it, I knew deep down that I meant it.
Almost 3 years later, I have indeed never drunk again *cue celebration dance* and I am delighted to report that I am the happiest, healthiest and most confident I have ever been. I am now the founder of the worlds biggest Instagram community for sober and sober curious women (@sobergirlsociety) and have just written a book for anyone who has ever felt like me anxious, unsure if they have problem and wondering if there is more to life than drinking and being hungover? Spoiler there is.
The Sober Girl Society Handbook by Millie Gooch will be published by Bantam Press in hardback on 14 January 2021 and is available for pre-order now.
The Sober Girl Society Handbook: An empowering guide to living hangover free
The latest issue of Cosmopolitan UK is out now and you can SUBSCRIBE HERE.
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
Read the original post:
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Come With Us on a Journey to Explore the Post Malone Tattoo Cosmos - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021
- WWE news: The Rock's incredible 30-year body transformation - GIVEMESPORT - February 6th, 2021
- Man Robbed Restaurant That Refused To Serve Him For Not Wearing A Mask | KFI AM 640 - KFI AM 640 - February 6th, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc: Rebecca's Husband Zied Before & After Weight Loss Transformation - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Amber Heard Reacts To Marilyn Manson Allegations, Connects Them To Johnny Depp - PerezHilton.com - February 6th, 2021
- Hall of boyfriends: All the men Jeffree Star trapped into a relationship Film Daily - Film Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Dispatches: Now Is the Perfect Time To Visit Tahiti - Men's Journal - February 2nd, 2021
- Post Malone's 'Imperial' Haircut Is The Hottest Men's Grooming Trend Right Now - DMARGE - February 2nd, 2021
- You Shall Not Pass: Fandom & The Gatekeeping of Femme Fans - Fandom Spotlite - February 2nd, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Man accused of beating and shooting shopper who bumped into him - wreg.com - January 31st, 2021
- Broken Justice: How Spokane County officials threw an innocent man behind bars and allowed the real killer to go free - Pacific Northwest Inlander - January 30th, 2021
- Is Alev Aydin Halsey's Baby Daddy? What You Need To Know About The Writer-Producer - OK! - January 30th, 2021
- A Home Heating Crisis. A Devastating Forest Fire Waiting to Happen. One Innovative Solution. - Slate - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021
- Shortly after I began converting to Judaism, I found myself in a hot tub full of neo-Nazis - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - January 25th, 2021
- Far-right Proud Boys who idolise Donald Trump are operating in Scotland - Daily Record - January 25th, 2021
- Jake Ryan reveals how he prepared to play a gang leader in New Zealand film Savage - Nine - January 25th, 2021
- Kevin Owens Gives Roman Reigns A Personal Reason About Why He Won't Stop Fighting - Wrestling Inc. - January 25th, 2021
- 2 people from Western Pennsylvania charged in connection with Capitol riot - WTAE Pittsburgh - January 25th, 2021
- 'The right thing to do': Worcester County Jail and House of Correction staff, inmates grateful to receive COVID-19 vaccine - Worcester Telegram - January 25th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- The moment MLKs daughter and a former neo-Nazi formed an unlikely friendship - Face2Face Africa - January 22nd, 2021
- UK lotto winner shares photo of her bizarre bum tattoos on Instagram - NEWS.com.au - January 22nd, 2021
- Williams: We can agree to disagree, but let's do it with civility - The Winchester Star - January 22nd, 2021
- Madhya Pradesh: View the aesthetic side of Dewar, Rabari nomads, which Bhopal museum has showcased for you - Free Press Journal - January 22nd, 2021
- 'This Is Awesome!': Another Proud Boys Leader Arrested for Storming U.S. Capitol - The Daily Beast - January 22nd, 2021
- Texas bikers say cops have unfairly labeled them as gang members - Houston Chronicle - January 22nd, 2021
- Looking for business in the front and a party in the back? Ashley Medina is Lansing's mullet maestro - WSYM-TV - January 20th, 2021
- US Capitol riots: The coded tattoos and flags, and the far-right stories they tell - Stuff.co.nz - January 20th, 2021
- Diplo Strips Down To Surf, Shows Off His Amazing Bod And Tats - OK! - January 20th, 2021
- After the Capitol riot, one Florida man became 'Podium Guy': Another man turned him in - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2021
- How four lads on a night out became a viral meme these men from Birmingham are internet famous! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - January 20th, 2021
- The Aroma of Progress at the Court of Master Sommeliers - Vinography - January 20th, 2021
- Blood donor study could help lift restrictions for gay and bisexual men - PhillyVoice.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Ariana Grande Relationship Timeline : Pete Davidson to Dalton Gomez, Dating History. Read all about it here! - Stanford Arts Review - January 3rd, 2021
- Andrew Tracey - Men's health UK - January 3rd, 2021
- Police agencies seeking public's help after pair of thieves hits four jewelry stores - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 3rd, 2021
- The life and death of Billy Baggett: Part I - Street Roots News - December 28th, 2020
- FDA considers lifting restrictions on blood donations by gay and bi men - WPSD Local 6 - December 28th, 2020
- Taiwan in Time: The first Truku convert - - December 27th, 2020
- My Messed-Up Family Drove Me to the Other Side of the World for Christmas - The Daily Beast - December 25th, 2020
- What if the biggest games of 2020 had Christmas spin-offs? - PCGamesN - December 25th, 2020
- Peaky Blinders filming is returning - and they need extras from the North - Times & Star - December 19th, 2020
- All of us here have killed someone The New Mutants - tor.com - December 19th, 2020