The COVID-19 pandemic has been hard on Cinder and Sea, a tattoo and fine art studio on Willow Street in Chemainus, as it has for many businesses.
But in the new year, owner Nick McMaster plans to host a pair of art classes at his studio, with one teaching landscape painting and the other teaching imaginative wildlife drawing, to bring more people and interest to his studio.
McMaster is multi-talented and showcases his paintings, sculptures, and carvings at the front of his shop, while running a private tattoo studio in the rear of the building.
Although McMasters tattoo practice is frequently booked with clients now that new health protocols allow him to safely tattoo clients again, he has noticed a steep decline in foot traffic to his gallery that is related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Im still making an income, but its not what it should be, he said.
Despite the challenges of COVID-19, Chemainus has proven to be a good fit for McMaster since he opened the studio in the fall of 2019, and hes hoping to remain in the community well into the future.
I want to be part of the community, he said.
Ive got the ability and the skill now to help people out. If Im doing well and the shops doing well, then I can be free to do more around town.
While waiting to begin his upcoming art classes, McMaster welcomes anyone who wants to talk about art or tattooing to visit his shop.
Cinder and Sea is open 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 9748 Willow St.
Fresh Kennys Fish and Chips is changing locations and expanding its menu.
The restaurant, which opened on Kenneth Street in Duncan in May, 2019, will be reopening in early January at nearby 111 Jubilee St. as Fresh Kennys Casual Eats.
Owner Curtis Flynn said Fresh Kennys was doing well at its location on Kenneth Street and was building clientele during its first year of operations and splitting the business between takeout, eat-ins and catering services, but then the COVID-19 pandemic struck.
He said, like many restaurants, Fresh Kennys had to close for a short period last spring, and then had to limit itself to take-out foods when allowed to operate again, so it lost all of its catering clients as there were no longer in-person meetings, weddings or celebrations being held.
It became clear we needed to rethink our business model, so we started planning for the future and looking into all the possibilities, Flynn said.
The space at 111 Jubilee became available and we jumped at the chance. It offers a larger dining area, a great corner location with excellent exposure and it was more financially viable.
Flynn said a broken leg kept him from reopening in December at the new location as originally planned, but he was lucky to have a huge support group including his staff, friends, family and the soccer community who helped him with the move and renovations, delaying the reopening by just a few weeks.
I cannot thank our community enough, he said.
Now we are on track to open in early January as Fresh Kennys Casual Eats. The menu will still have our popular fish and chips as well as pizzas, burgers and tacos. We will be open seven days a week for lunch and dinner and continue to have our online ordering and takeout options.
The Youth 2020 Can initiative at Volunteer Cowichan has partnered with Technology Solutions, Save-On-Foods, and The Cowichan Valley Earth Guardians to host a post-holiday Used Device Drive.
The youth-led project aims to help bridge the digital divide that the COVID-19 pandemic has recently brought into sharp focus, both on an international stage and a local one.
When everything started to go digital back in March, the world assumed digital connectivity is a right and not a privilege, said Holly Ellison, a youth-engagement worker with Volunteer Cowichan.
This has left many people disconnected from the world and their communities due to a lack of devices or means to connect.
While many people might have the option to upgrade their devices and may find themselves with a surplus at home, the Youth 2020 Can initiative is asking that those who have devices that they are no longer in need of donate them so they can get into the hands of people who really do.
Seth Godbey, owner and founder of Duncan-based Technology Solutions will be offering his time and expertise to train the youth volunteers in how to reset and refurbish all the donated devices, so they will be in perfect working order before finding new homes.
The drive will accept used laptops, phones, and pads that are Internet capable, are in gently used condition, or are in need of minor repairs.
The drive will host two drop-off days on Jan. 16 and Jan. 23, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Community partner Save-On-Foods, located in the Duncan Village, will serve as the drop-off site, with a donation table at the front entrance.
If you have something you want to donate but have questions or cant make the drop-off dates, contact Jessica, Holly, or Ali at email@example.com for more information.
The Duncan Cowichan Chamber of Commerce, Synergy Foundation, and Economic Development Cowichan will be hosting a virtual Lunch n Learn on Jan. 28 that will explore a vision of a thriving circular economy in the Cowichan Valley and across Vancouver Island.
As an island community, most of the goods on Vancouver Island are imported and waste exported.
The circular economy offers opportunities to strengthen the local, Island-based, economy.
According to the chambers website, a circular economy is one where Islanders share more than they own, freeing income and sparing resources; new ideas come to life and inspire other regions; products are made and repaired locally; economic equality is the new norm; and ones waste is anothers resource.
During the Lunch n Learn, participants will be provided with a circular economy overview, examples of local and global businesses operating within the circular economy, and identify local opportunities to increase economic opportunity and resilience while having a positive impact on the environment.
The Lunch n Learn will run from noon to 1 p.m. on Jan. 28.
People can register on the chambers website by following the links.
firstname.lastname@example.orgLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Celebrating five of Salisbury's independent salons and shops - Salisbury Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 5th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the offensive requests they refuse - Daily Star - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021
- Hublot Expands Its Classic Fusion Orlinski Collection With Two New Ceramic Watches - aBlogtoWatch - January 27th, 2021
- Sterilize your knives and other kitchen utensils with just the push of a button - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 27th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Tugs Down Her Pants To Show Off Her Lace Panties, Butt, And Tattoo - The Inquisitr - January 27th, 2021
- Sherbrooke-based tattoo artists ready to get back to the studio - Sherbrooke Record - January 22nd, 2021
- Musician tattoos | Tats inspired by their own music - Alternative Press - January 22nd, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market report has been assessed in accordance with the current Market trends 2020 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Tattooist publicly shames customer who tried to get away without paying 'due to Covid' - Mirror Online - January 20th, 2021
- The 5 Top Piercing Trends Pros Are Predicting For 2021 - Refinery29 - January 20th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Lincolnshire during the pandemic - Lincolnshire Live - January 20th, 2021
- Rhude Fall 2021 Ready-to-Wear Collection - Vogue.com - January 20th, 2021
- New Mural in Brewery Block - Big Island Now - January 15th, 2021
- UD Artist Spotlight: Colleen Anderson The Review - University of Delaware Review - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Insider - INSIDER - January 12th, 2021
- Parents cause outrage by subjecting their 7-year-old daughter to a tattoo on her leg - Explica - January 12th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Nottinghamshire during the pandemic - Nottinghamshire Live - January 9th, 2021
- Buzz in the CBD as Lismore inks in new tattoo studio - Northern Star - January 9th, 2021
- Ashley Martson removes tattoo dedicated to ex-husband Jay Smith - Monsters and Critics - January 9th, 2021
- ON THE RECORD: Harmonica man Sugar Blue and 'huh?' - The Sanford Herald - January 9th, 2021
- Young Cornish tattooist is 'like an old lady' because of condition - Cornwall Live - January 5th, 2021
- Striking image takes first place in Cleator Moor competition | News and Star - News & Star - January 3rd, 2021
- 15 things to watch out for in the new Pixar movie - Inspired Traveler - December 31st, 2020
- The Glasgow 'society tattooist' admired by Billy Connolly and the upper classes - Glasgow Times - December 28th, 2020
- blackbear Thrived This Year and Probably Will Next Year - SPIN - December 28th, 2020
- Planning chiefs give the go-ahead for retail unit to be turned into tattoo studio - Salisbury Journal - December 25th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 2: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 2 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Kat Von D, famed tattoo artist, slams California's 'tyrannical' overreach: 'Indiana here we come!' - Washington Times - December 25th, 2020
- Disneys Snow White: 10 Evil Queen Tattoos That Prove She Was The Fairest Of Them All - Screen Rant - December 25th, 2020
- Bollywood tattoo artist Vikas Malani on how COVID-19 affected the tattoo industry - The Hindu - December 25th, 2020
- Man travels 7km along SH1 on back of his stolen ute, trying to convince alleged thief to stop - Stuff.co.nz - December 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Tattoos: The Correlation To Your Safety - Mid-day - December 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter Shows Off Her First Tattoo, And Her Costars Have Some Thoughts - The Inquisitr - December 19th, 2020
- How Many Tattoos Does Dua Lipa Have? Inside All of Her Tattoos and Their Meanings - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 19th, 2020