If youre part of blackbears friends and family, you got a Balenciaga sweater for Christmas. Im like the Aunt Karen of the family, bear real name Matthew Musto tells SPIN. I get anxious because Im like, Who did I get a gift for? Who did I forget? Is so-and-so gonna fit in the sweater I got them?
Its a good holiday for the people in blackbears life. And its been a good year for him too, despite the obvious madness. Its my sons first year on the planet, he says. [Midnight] has eight or nine teeth already, and they just keep growing, he adds, laughing. Theres never been a dull moment.
Lately, dull moments have been rare for the 30-year-old singer, songwriter and producer.
With hot girl bummer, the lead single of his fifth studio album, everything means nothing, he had what he calls a moment. The infectious rap-pop song has become a career milestone: So far, its earned nearly 700 million Spotify streams and a combined 88 million YouTube views for its low budget and big budget videos.
I feel like [this] happens every two years or something, he says of such moments. The dark, stripped-down idfc started it all, becoming the Tumblr-esque anthem for unrequited love in 2015. Then there was 2017s do re mi, a pissed-off hit about taking charge instead of accepting pain. It just proves my consistency, he says. I have major love for the craft of what Im doing.
Aside from the major success of hot girl bummer, bear used quarantine as an excuse to work with other artists over email since no one could tour or even go out. It was really easy to collaborate this year for everyone because no one was really busy, he says. You cant lie to me and say youre busy.
He hopped on a verse of Machine Gun Kellys pop-punk single my exs best friend, appeared on G-Eazys trap serenade Hate The Way and worked on a remix of Dixie DAmelios Be Happy. Among his other 2020 collaborations, theres a song with both All Time Low and Demi Lovato, a track with Charlie Puth and a cut with Ellie Goulding. Theres a lot.
Cheers with Wiz Khalifa is his way of closing out the year. Justpiss off 2020 was the idea, he says. Hed written the song already when Todd Moscowitz the founder/CEO of Alamo Records and Gucci Manes manager suggested Wiz as the extra voice. I was like, Oh my God Wiz would bring the perfect happy vibe. Like, I think his picture on Twitter is a smiley face, he says. The song is about drinking, and he brings the smoke.
It might be the best drinking anthem written by someone whos almost five years sober. Because of health complications, hes so sensitive to it; Im, like, literally allergic to alcohol. I can sanitize my hands and thats about it. The process of sobriety was helpful for him, as an artist and as a human: I was used to writing songs in a haze for so long, and then all of a sudden I had to relearn my body and relearn my moral compass.
Together, bear and Wiz bring a feeling of hope and lightness during dreadful times. And Cheers, he says, represents his path toward responsibility: I just want to take people higher and not lower. In the past, blackbear has taken people a little bit lower when theyre feeling low.
everything means nothing is not necessarily light. The lyrics are still dispirited and distraught but with flashes of clarity and awareness. Sonically, though, its far from his quasi-emo rap debut, 2015s deadroses. It even feels distanced from itspredecessor, 2019s ANONYMOUS.
It was a big shift, he admits. The only explanation: Im always making the music that I love and want to listen to. This time around, he used Katy Perrys Teenage Dream as an influence, which meant paying more attention to the production. I wanted a very squeaky clean pop sound, he says.
He may have been drawn to this polished direction because of his own personal happiness. I feel on track in a way, and thats good, he says. I think we have moments and spurts of feeling on track and feeling happy and feeling joyousbut this is my longest spurt.
If his lyrics dont reflect that mindset, its because of his songwriting heroes: Saves The Day, New Found Glory and Blink-182. Hes a MySpace kid, and thats not his fault. He grew up the way most millennials did with a scene-kid haircut and face piercings he did himself in his moms bathroom. I think the biggest complaint about my music is that the lyrics are really emo and I cant change that because Im just an emo hag, he says. Like, dude, if I tweeted it, its probably in a song.
The Saves The Day fan remains in him even as his tastes expand. At the end of the day, if there was a gun put to my head and [someone] said, What kind of music do you frickin make? I would say pop music I mean, at this point, he says. This wont make his tattoo dedicated to Through Being Cool disappear. His future collaborations stray even further from his normal stuff including a feature on Maroon 5s forthcoming album and a remix with UPSAHL. Theres no reason to confine himself or his music, and theres no reason to stop working.
If blackbear can find the ambition to thrive in 2020, he can do anything. His goals are always changing, but lately the underlying theme has been simple: I wanted to help the world a little bit.
Read the rest here:
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 20th, 2021
- Review: In a Promising Debut Feature, Test Pattern Chronicles the Search for Care After Sexual Assault - thirdcoastreview.com - February 20th, 2021
- The 50 Best Tattoo Parlours in America Big 7 Travel - February 17th, 2021
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Studio City Tattoo Los Angeles ... - February 17th, 2021
- Inkies Tattoo - February 17th, 2021
- Las Vegas BEST friendly and professional Tattoo Studio 21 - February 17th, 2021
- World Tattoo Studio Custom Tattoo Shop in Denver, Colorado - February 17th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Tattoo Studio - Dormont Pa - Tattoo and ... - February 17th, 2021
- Vivid Skin Tattoo Studio - Home - February 17th, 2021
- Paramount Tattoo Studio - Piercings, Tattoos - February 17th, 2021
- Auckland Tattoo Studio | Otautahi - Unique Tattoos New Zealand - February 17th, 2021
- Tattoo Shop in Houston | Houston Tattoo Shop | Tattoo Shop ... - February 17th, 2021
- Home | InkBook Tattoo Software - February 17th, 2021
- Kenan Thompson says words were 'twisted' in controversial 2013 interview about the lack of Black women on 'SNL' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Charlie Cartwright: The Godfather of Black-and-Grey Fine Line Tattooing - Scene 360 - February 17th, 2021
- Tributes paid in memory of talented Blood Rush tattoo artist - Leighton Buzzard Observer - February 17th, 2021
- Artist and Influencer Mikey B Made It is legally trappin art from the hood to Hollywood - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 17th, 2021
- 14 up-and-coming queer Irish creatives to support in 2021 - http://gcn.ie/ - February 17th, 2021
- The Canvas Tattoo & Piercing Studio A tattoo and body ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Game - Play online at Y8.com - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio | Virginia Beach | Whiskey River - February 15th, 2021
- REV23 - Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio Software, Apps ... - February 15th, 2021
- Firme Copias Tattoo & Art Studio - Best Tattoo Shop San ... - February 15th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share the common request many of them will refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 15th, 2021
- Fire in tattoo studio in Husthwaite near Thirsk | York Press - York Press - February 15th, 2021
- Frosted Flakes: Kusche Sets Mile Record, Neanderthal Poop and a Very Good Dog - Corn Nation - February 15th, 2021
- 'My girlfriend thinks my tattoo is for her - I don't have the heart to tell her the truth' - Mirror Online - February 15th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists reveal their worst mistakes ever and how the clients reacted - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Nine things tattoo artists hate clients doing when they get inked - Daily Star - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 6th, 2021
- Celebrating five of Salisbury's independent salons and shops - Salisbury Journal - February 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That Pete Davidson Gave Him The Worst Tattoo On The Set Of "Big Time Adolescence" - BuzzFeed - February 6th, 2021
- Body Artist Brian Keith Thompson Talks Star Wars Influence - Monsters and Critics - February 6th, 2021
- Columbus rappers and engineers embrace work from home with new DIY spaces - Columbus Alive - February 5th, 2021
- Student, 23, who cant tell her left from right gets L and R TATTOOED on her hands as a permanent reminder - The Sun - February 5th, 2021
- Woman who has 'always struggled to tell right from left' gets them tattooed on her hands - Mirror Online - February 5th, 2021
- Two Singaporean women pioneering in the rise of hand-poked tattoos - News24 - February 4th, 2021
- The most basic tattoos artists secretly hate as they reveal the one inking they will NEVER do - The Sun - February 4th, 2021
- 'Basic' tattoos artists secretly hate doing - and the ones they'll refuse to do - Mirror Online - February 4th, 2021
- Keeping It Real - INKED - February 4th, 2021
- Pizza, tattoos and a smoke shop: 5 businesses coming soon to New Braunfels - Community Impact Newspaper - February 4th, 2021
- Six tattoos artists secretly hate doing and the offensive requests they refuse - Daily Star - February 4th, 2021
- Petition calling for reopening of body modification studios gains more than 10K signatures - CTV News Winnipeg - February 4th, 2021
- 'I'm healthy in every sense of the word': Young men on living life as HIV positive - The Tab - January 27th, 2021
- Hublot Expands Its Classic Fusion Orlinski Collection With Two New Ceramic Watches - aBlogtoWatch - January 27th, 2021
- Sterilize your knives and other kitchen utensils with just the push of a button - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 27th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Tugs Down Her Pants To Show Off Her Lace Panties, Butt, And Tattoo - The Inquisitr - January 27th, 2021
- Sherbrooke-based tattoo artists ready to get back to the studio - Sherbrooke Record - January 22nd, 2021
- Musician tattoos | Tats inspired by their own music - Alternative Press - January 22nd, 2021
- Tattoo Studio Software Market report has been assessed in accordance with the current Market trends 2020 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Tattooist publicly shames customer who tried to get away without paying 'due to Covid' - Mirror Online - January 20th, 2021
- The 5 Top Piercing Trends Pros Are Predicting For 2021 - Refinery29 - January 20th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Lincolnshire during the pandemic - Lincolnshire Live - January 20th, 2021
- Rhude Fall 2021 Ready-to-Wear Collection - Vogue.com - January 20th, 2021
- New Mural in Brewery Block - Big Island Now - January 15th, 2021
- UD Artist Spotlight: Colleen Anderson The Review - University of Delaware Review - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Insider - INSIDER - January 12th, 2021
- Parents cause outrage by subjecting their 7-year-old daughter to a tattoo on her leg - Explica - January 12th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Nottinghamshire during the pandemic - Nottinghamshire Live - January 9th, 2021
- Buzz in the CBD as Lismore inks in new tattoo studio - Northern Star - January 9th, 2021
- Ashley Martson removes tattoo dedicated to ex-husband Jay Smith - Monsters and Critics - January 9th, 2021
- ON THE RECORD: Harmonica man Sugar Blue and 'huh?' - The Sanford Herald - January 9th, 2021
- Young Cornish tattooist is 'like an old lady' because of condition - Cornwall Live - January 5th, 2021
- Business notes: Cinder and Sea to hold art classes in the new year - Cowichan Valley Citizen - January 3rd, 2021
- Striking image takes first place in Cleator Moor competition | News and Star - News & Star - January 3rd, 2021
- 15 things to watch out for in the new Pixar movie - Inspired Traveler - December 31st, 2020
- The Glasgow 'society tattooist' admired by Billy Connolly and the upper classes - Glasgow Times - December 28th, 2020
- Planning chiefs give the go-ahead for retail unit to be turned into tattoo studio - Salisbury Journal - December 25th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 2: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 2 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Kat Von D, famed tattoo artist, slams California's 'tyrannical' overreach: 'Indiana here we come!' - Washington Times - December 25th, 2020
- Disneys Snow White: 10 Evil Queen Tattoos That Prove She Was The Fairest Of Them All - Screen Rant - December 25th, 2020
- Bollywood tattoo artist Vikas Malani on how COVID-19 affected the tattoo industry - The Hindu - December 25th, 2020
- Man travels 7km along SH1 on back of his stolen ute, trying to convince alleged thief to stop - Stuff.co.nz - December 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Tattoos: The Correlation To Your Safety - Mid-day - December 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter Shows Off Her First Tattoo, And Her Costars Have Some Thoughts - The Inquisitr - December 19th, 2020
- How Many Tattoos Does Dua Lipa Have? Inside All of Her Tattoos and Their Meanings - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 19th, 2020