Winter has its cold, hard grasp on those of us in the northern hemisphere, or, er, its warm and loving embrace in the southern hemisphere. Either way, its Christmas! This means that plenty of games will become temporarily festive with their seasonal winter events, including Fall Guys, Destiny 2, and Fortnite to name a few. Its not a new trend, but rather an evolution of the relatively ancient one of games getting Christmas-themed expansions.
For those of you who werent born in the 20th century, December usually meant every developer of shareware games (Google it) released holiday versions of their biggest hits. Some of the most famous examples were Holiday Lemmings (Christmas Lemmings in the UK), Duke: Nuclear Winter (a holiday-themed Duke Nukem 3D), and Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare.
These were usually good for some holiday gaming goodness, unlike the completely different standalone Christmas games, which were universally crap. I still have horrible memories of Santas elves farting and spanking their bare bums in Elf Bowling, which we had on the family computer. It might have been my fault.
Naturally, games in 2020 have come a long way from the simplistic holiday cheer we saw in the 90s. So for a bit of a festive giggle, and because we all need a bit of cheering up, I decided to come up with six holiday-themed versions of this years biggest games.
What screams cyberpunk like corporate greed? The holidays are the most profitable time for big businesses, and in a world where megacorporations have taken over, consumerism is now the true meaning of Christmas. As far as I could find, Mike Pondsmith hasnt set out the lore about what happens in December during Cyberpunk 2020 or Cyberpunk 2077, but I can hazard a guess.
Megacorporations are extremely powerful and Arasaka has likely bought a few smaller firms for a few billion eddies here and there. Were talking about retailers, designer firms, and fast food joints (that last ones important). Arasaka could definitely convince the mayor of Night City that buying presents during the holidays is good for the economy, and force them to pass a law requiring that during the month of December, everyone has to spend at least 15,000 eurodollars on gifts. It doesnt matter what gifts, just gifts. From shops.
The other thing about Arasaka is that its proud outwardly, at least of its Japanese heritage, and one of the most popular traditions in real-life Japan at Christmas time is to eat KFC. Seriously. It has become a custom to go to Colonel Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken shop and grab a festive Christmas Bucket. It includes an entire chicken, smothered in those famous 11 herbs and spices.
If Arasaka bought KFC, then why not also pass a law stating that everyone has to buy a bucket of chicken on Christmas day? This would translate to gameplay as queuing outside one of the few remaining KFCs in Night City, hoping to walk away with a fried chicken before Boxing Day. Scintillating stuff, I know.
Before you point out that the ancient Greeks didnt celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, or any of the modern winter holidays: yes, youre absolutely right about that, but as you also probably know, the idea of winter festivals long predates the birth of Christianity. The Greeks did in fact celebrate Haloa (or Alo) during the month of Poseidon, which is between the end of December and beginning of January.
This festival was principally celebrated in Eleusis (a seaside town northwest of Athens) to honour three of the Greek pantheon: Demeter, protector of the fruits of the earth; Dionysus, god of grape and wine; and, obviously, Poseidon, god of the sea and, thus, seashore vegetation. Haloa wasnt a universal holiday though only women were permitted to celebrate it, their celebratory meals and entertainment funded entirely by the men of their family. Priestesses would also handle the offerings to the gods, rather than the Hierophant.
These festivals were basically piss-ups, with sexual symbolism in abundance and the quaffing of much wine to please Dionysus. To celebrate, why not have only those three gods appear during every run in Hades? Youll also be able to find a special item that you can give to each one of the three gods to gain access to powerful perks, including new dual perks that focus on bolstering health and wellness.
There would also be a reference to this festival in every room, whether thats a makeover to the healing fountain or Charons shops, or just some nice bunting around the halls of Tartarus. Each god could have a table with ghosts feasting there, and a vast van of wine in the corner supervised by Dionysus. Depending on what Supergiant Games can get away with, it could also include implied decorations of a lewd nature you know, to get into the spirit of the holidays. Happy Eleusis!
Nice and simple one this: have Tony Hawk stand somewhere on every level, shouting at you to do tricks, while dressed as Santa Claus. Its something that happened in real life, and as we all know, Tony Hawk is one of the nicest blokes out there. In the spirit of the season, every trick you land that Santa Hawk requests will unlock new boards, cosmetic items, and other bonuses. Perhaps a rare compilation of Santa skaters doing tricks, or failing to do tricks.
You need more than that? Ok. Umm How about every single level being decorated with snow and Christmas decorations? A new level you unlock by doing an incredibly difficult trick for Santa Hawk thats basically a half-pipe outside the Rockefeller Center, surrounded by people getting drunk and brawling in the streets? Ah, much more like Christmas already! Maybe Macaulay Culkin can make an appearance.
Ok, ready for another festive history lesson? Before we begin, Im acutely aware that there is an Assassins Creed: Valhalla Yule festival update that goes over the Viking celebration of Yule. Its the merry occasion that gave us the Gvle Goat, which is a giant straw goat that gets built in Sweden every year and is promptly burnt down by the locals. On a side note, the whole burning part is actually the result of unlawful arson attacks at the time of writing, this years goat is still standing, bleating in the faces of any would-be arsonists.
However, I dont think Valhallas Yule festival is fully accurate, and I think that Ubisoft is missing a trick. Upon researching Saxon winter festivals, I noticed a juicy tidbit while reading about certain long-gone traditions. Theres a passage from Egbert of York a contemporary of Saint Bede which says that, the English people have been accustomed to practise fasts, vigils, prayers, and the giving of alms both to monasteries and to the common people, for the full twelve days before Christmas.
I then discover something a little more relevant to the time of Valhalla. It has been suggested that Alfreds rigorous observance of his own law left him vulnerable to his Viking adversaries, who defeated him in battle on 6th January, 878: the day after Twelfth Night.  We can assume this was not because of overindulgence in food and drink. This kind of implies that the Vikings used the winter festival to attack at just the right moment while the enemys weakened from all the fasting.
So not all Vikings were quaffing booze, firing arrows at targets, and getting tattoos during the harsh winter season, but rather, they were preparing for an attack. Perhaps, as an Assassin who is also a Viking, you could masquerade as a cleric going around, collecting alms for the local monastery while also gaining vital intel for raiding towns as soon as Twelfth Night has ended, all while the enemy is demoralised from a lack of food due to the constant fasting.
Did you know that Santa Claus is officially canon in Marvel comics? Knowing the internet, you probably did, but this was a revelation to me when I typed Marvel Santa into Google for ideas! Apparently, Jolly Old St Nicholas saved New York city from the Hate-Monger (a clone of Hitler) by distracting one of his pilots long enough for him to crash into a nuclear bomb. On another occasion, Deadpool was given Santa as a target by a group of children that never got their Christmas presents, only for Deadpool to discover that one of Santas elves was the culprit instead. Hes also appeared in Howard the Ducks comics, and has multiple origin stories.
So who better to spread some holiday cheer, and perhaps some justice too? Santa has a full list of abilities that would make him a great addition to the roster. His natural charm can warm the hearts of anyone around him (read: ignite in an instant). He can fly around on his sleigh, hurling coal down at the myriad enemies of Christmas. If you play on December 24, he can have boosted stats, since his powers grow on that one day of the year.
While recreating Hate-Monger is probably not ok, you could perhaps have Red Skull as a stand-in. You could also have Luke Cage join in, accompanying Santa on missions and muttering Sweet Christmas at any given opportunity.
Die Hard is a Christmas movie, isnt it?
Its a question often debated, because instead of being about glad tidings and good will, Die Hard is about shooting terrorists and a Twinkie-loving cop learning to kill again. But the more I think about it, the more it works perfectly with Among Us gameplay: an impostor wandering through vents, trying to stop an organised group from completing their tasks.
Weve always assumed that the impostor is the bad guy in Among Us, but with a special Nakatomi Plaza map, this could be turned on its head. Instead of an alien, the impostor could be John McClane trying to take out all the terrorists. Heck, broken glass could be scattered around the floor, alerting anyone who hears that sickening crunching sound. It wouldnt be a perfect recreation as the terrorists wouldnt be able to fight back, but it would certainly be better than just a few random Santa hats and candy canes. Better still, the impostor kill animations could recreate some of the takedowns that Bruce Willis does in the film.
2020 has been a bit of an annus horribilisfor everyone, so I hope that these silly ideas put a smile on your face. Perhaps next year we will see some of these come to life (Im looking at you, Among Us), and hope that 2021 is a significantly better year.
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 5th, 2021
- I got an inspirational quote tattoo in tribute to my dad & was mortified when I twigged the VERY sexual... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- 50 Tattoos for Men - Top Designs for Men - March 9th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 9th, 2021
- 57 Best Bird Tattoos For Men: Cool Design Ideas (2021 Guide) - March 9th, 2021
- Season of tattoos and cross-dressing? - The Nation Newspaper - March 9th, 2021
- Kiwi Nazi bashed and robbed roommate over swastika T-shirt - New Zealand Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Nazi enthusiast bashed and robbed roommate in shocking home altercation because of missing T-shirt - PerthNow - March 9th, 2021
- Deputies arrest driver in pursuit of assault suspects; three sought - 10News - March 9th, 2021
- From tragedy to glory, Ohio State's Kyle Young persevered on tough path - Buckeye Extra - March 9th, 2021
- Op-Ed: Libyan Women; The Guardians of Tradition | - Libya Herald - March 9th, 2021
- Europe Has Banned 2 Widely Used Tattoo Pigments - Men's Health - February 20th, 2021
- Post Malone Tattoos - Every Post Malone Tattoo Meaning Explained - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 3 Men Shared the Stories Behind the Epic Tattoos They Got to Cover Their Scars - menshealth.com - February 20th, 2021
- 'Ink Master' Shared Some of the Most Painful Tattoos Ever Filmed - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 20th, 2021
- Man on the run from prison has Blackburn links - Lancashire Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- Here's why it's so difficult for the military to weed out extremists - Task & Purpose - February 20th, 2021
- Mady Gosselin, 20, claims she cried in the shower after crush Harry Styles covered up his tattoos for new fi - The Sun - February 20th, 2021
- On Religion: Do we need the Old Testament? - VVdailypress.com - February 20th, 2021
- Its a nightmare, says San Antonio blood bank officials as bad weather cuts donations short - San Antonio Express-News - February 20th, 2021
- Come With Us on a Journey to Explore the Post Malone Tattoo Cosmos - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- Watch This Woman React to Seeing Her Boyfriend Without His Tattoos for the First Time - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2021
- UPDATE: Deputies arrest fugitive in Bingham County - East Idaho News - February 15th, 2021
- The Bachelorette NZ: Covid regulations are out the window but kisses are in - Stuff.co.nz - February 15th, 2021
- The 10 Best Dressed Characters In Yakuza, Ranked - TheGamer - February 15th, 2021
- Wickford cabbie strangled by robbers, who police find within hours - Echo - February 13th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 13th, 2021
- Sistahs on The Frontlines: Asantewaa Boykin The Sacramento Observer - Sacramento Observer - February 13th, 2021
- Men appear in court on firearm charges relating to tavern incident - Stuff.co.nz - February 13th, 2021
- Men jailed after attack on taxi driver in Wickford - Yellow Advertiser - February 10th, 2021
- Bureaucratizing to Fight Extremism in the Military - War on the Rocks - February 10th, 2021
- From the '50s until now, women still bear the brunt of unpaid household labour - The Calgary Journal - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Talks Classic TV, Working In The MCU, And More - Exclusive Interview - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They Love Doing the Most - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 8th, 2021
- Tattoo Artists Shared the Tattoos They're Sick of Seeing - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 6th, 2021
- How Maya Darwiche built her own beauty business and lead it to success - Business News Ledger - February 6th, 2021
- WWE news: The Rock's incredible 30-year body transformation - GIVEMESPORT - February 6th, 2021
- Man Robbed Restaurant That Refused To Serve Him For Not Wearing A Mask | KFI AM 640 - KFI AM 640 - February 6th, 2021
- 90 Day Fianc: Rebecca's Husband Zied Before & After Weight Loss Transformation - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Amber Heard Reacts To Marilyn Manson Allegations, Connects Them To Johnny Depp - PerezHilton.com - February 6th, 2021
- Hall of boyfriends: All the men Jeffree Star trapped into a relationship Film Daily - Film Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Dispatches: Now Is the Perfect Time To Visit Tahiti - Men's Journal - February 2nd, 2021
- Post Malone's 'Imperial' Haircut Is The Hottest Men's Grooming Trend Right Now - DMARGE - February 2nd, 2021
- You Shall Not Pass: Fandom & The Gatekeeping of Femme Fans - Fandom Spotlite - February 2nd, 2021
- For the love of Ink - Daily Pioneer - January 31st, 2021
- Man accused of beating and shooting shopper who bumped into him - wreg.com - January 31st, 2021
- Broken Justice: How Spokane County officials threw an innocent man behind bars and allowed the real killer to go free - Pacific Northwest Inlander - January 30th, 2021
- Is Alev Aydin Halsey's Baby Daddy? What You Need To Know About The Writer-Producer - OK! - January 30th, 2021
- A Home Heating Crisis. A Devastating Forest Fire Waiting to Happen. One Innovative Solution. - Slate - January 30th, 2021
- Can You Wear Floral on Your Buzz Cut? - The New York Times - January 27th, 2021
- Shortly after I began converting to Judaism, I found myself in a hot tub full of neo-Nazis - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - January 25th, 2021
- Far-right Proud Boys who idolise Donald Trump are operating in Scotland - Daily Record - January 25th, 2021
- Jake Ryan reveals how he prepared to play a gang leader in New Zealand film Savage - Nine - January 25th, 2021
- Kevin Owens Gives Roman Reigns A Personal Reason About Why He Won't Stop Fighting - Wrestling Inc. - January 25th, 2021
- 2 people from Western Pennsylvania charged in connection with Capitol riot - WTAE Pittsburgh - January 25th, 2021
- 'The right thing to do': Worcester County Jail and House of Correction staff, inmates grateful to receive COVID-19 vaccine - Worcester Telegram - January 25th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- The moment MLKs daughter and a former neo-Nazi formed an unlikely friendship - Face2Face Africa - January 22nd, 2021
- UK lotto winner shares photo of her bizarre bum tattoos on Instagram - NEWS.com.au - January 22nd, 2021
- Williams: We can agree to disagree, but let's do it with civility - The Winchester Star - January 22nd, 2021
- Madhya Pradesh: View the aesthetic side of Dewar, Rabari nomads, which Bhopal museum has showcased for you - Free Press Journal - January 22nd, 2021
- 'This Is Awesome!': Another Proud Boys Leader Arrested for Storming U.S. Capitol - The Daily Beast - January 22nd, 2021
- Texas bikers say cops have unfairly labeled them as gang members - Houston Chronicle - January 22nd, 2021
- Looking for business in the front and a party in the back? Ashley Medina is Lansing's mullet maestro - WSYM-TV - January 20th, 2021
- US Capitol riots: The coded tattoos and flags, and the far-right stories they tell - Stuff.co.nz - January 20th, 2021
- Diplo Strips Down To Surf, Shows Off His Amazing Bod And Tats - OK! - January 20th, 2021
- After the Capitol riot, one Florida man became 'Podium Guy': Another man turned him in - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2021
- How four lads on a night out became a viral meme these men from Birmingham are internet famous! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - January 20th, 2021
- The Aroma of Progress at the Court of Master Sommeliers - Vinography - January 20th, 2021
- Blood donor study could help lift restrictions for gay and bisexual men - PhillyVoice.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Ariana Grande Relationship Timeline : Pete Davidson to Dalton Gomez, Dating History. Read all about it here! - Stanford Arts Review - January 3rd, 2021
- "Why I stopped drinking alcohol at the age of 26" - cosmopolitan.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Andrew Tracey - Men's health UK - January 3rd, 2021
- Police agencies seeking public's help after pair of thieves hits four jewelry stores - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 3rd, 2021
- The life and death of Billy Baggett: Part I - Street Roots News - December 28th, 2020
- FDA considers lifting restrictions on blood donations by gay and bi men - WPSD Local 6 - December 28th, 2020
- Taiwan in Time: The first Truku convert - - December 27th, 2020
- My Messed-Up Family Drove Me to the Other Side of the World for Christmas - The Daily Beast - December 25th, 2020
- Peaky Blinders filming is returning - and they need extras from the North - Times & Star - December 19th, 2020
- All of us here have killed someone The New Mutants - tor.com - December 19th, 2020