In an ideal world, Mira Mariah would always be celebrating.
I so deeply love parties, and I love how much of parties are about girl culture, she said in a video interview. Thats something I love to study, and love to be a part of, and love to talk about, and love to make art about.
The 28-year-old, who tattoos as @girlknewyork at the Fleur Noire tattoo parlor in Brooklyn, designs art for people who, like herself, want to adorn themselves with symbols of indulgent days and effervescent nights. As proclaimed in her Instagram bio, this makes her not only a tattoo artist but a girl culture expert.
Her illustrations are inspired by a world where drunk strangers forge friendships in the bathroom and serendipitous celebrations compel people to pop the bottle of Champagne thats been sitting in the back of their fridges.
Im naturally interested in helping people look cool and feel like they look cool, she said in one of our interviews late last month, so I wanted to find different ways to get people from Point A to Point B.
Interviews are conducted by email, text and phone, then condensed and edited.
7:30 a.m. I usually take Sundays and Mondays off, so Tuesdays are the beginning of my workweek. I wake up, make breakfast and grab some cold brew from the fridge. I walk my dogs a Pomeranian named Sulei and a Chihuahua named Chi Chi. I do some light yoga and get dressed.
11 a.m. I arrive at 250 Broome Street, where I have a space thats shared with a hair salon.
11:30 a.m. My business manager, Camilla, comes to meet me. She brings six candle samples to review, since were trying to develop a scent that feels like Girl Knew York. We have the same favorite smell, which is like a spicy-honey-leather scent. I told the candlemakers I wanted something that smells like New York in the morning during the fall, when youre wearing a leather jacket holding bodega coffee and a cigarette.
1 p.m. We have a call with Nordstrom about a project for the holidays. I want to do more styling and fashion work, and this is a cool opportunity to put this goal into action.
2 p.m. I email photographers and models about a photo shoot for my collaboration with MeUndies while working on the pitch deck. I like to work with mood boards, since they help me visualize which photographers, models, accessories and locations Id want to use.
4 p.m. I have some mushroom toast with bacon and my third coffee of the day. I like to take some time to gossip and catch up about nonwork things with Camilla.
6:30 p.m. Camilla and I meet with another illustrator and frequent client for a drink. Broome Street has bars with outdoor seating, and its a nice 75 degrees in November. I have an espresso martini, and we plan the clients tattoo of Bob Dylan, which were doing on Sunday.
8:30 p.m. I go home to my boyfriend. Margot is already sleeping and my sister is out with her friends, so we get some quiet time. I send emails and look at possible art studios for us to share. Hes getting into making furniture and has been doing quarantine carpentry in his apartment, which is loud, messy and not great for the neighbors.
10:30 p.m. I draw some tattoo flash predrawn tattoos for people to choose from for the December booking email, which should have already gone out.
2:16 a.m. I accidentally stay up working on a Nordstrom deck.
7 a.m. I snooze my alarm and sleep in a bit.
8 a.m. After sleeping in, I realize that I forgot to send paperwork to my daughters school. I spiral a little about why I always forget details like this! Big guilt!
10:30 a.m. My boyfriend built a table for my shop, so he delivers and finishes it while I meet with my booking girl. She requests 50 pieces of flash for December. Ive done about 20, so Ill be drawing tonight.
Noon. I eat a breakfast burrito and buy some supplies for my tattoo shop. I text my friends pictures from the deck that I was working on last night to make sure its good.
2 p.m. I FaceTime my photographer. They used to be my daughters nanny, and also I used to be in love with them. Now, were good friends and work together really well. They agree to shoot my Nordstrom content and possibly my MeUndies content, but Im not sure if using the same person all the time is weird. I guess its OK because Kim Kardashian does it.
4:30 p.m. I draw to make a dent in this endless flash void. My booking girl is spackling the walls because shes handy, and my daughter is watching Adventure Time more mom guilt, but she seems so happy. Ill read her extra books at bedtime to make up for this!
7:30 p.m. I get back home, feed the girls dinner and make good on my promise of five bedtime books. Im really tired and fall asleep in my daughters bed halfway through lullabies.
10 p.m. I wake from my accidental nap to draw on the couch while my sister watches Baby Driver. I draw some swans that I saw Monday morning when my boyfriend and I drove to Mastic Beach for the sunrise.
6:30 a.m. I wake up and bribe my daughter to brush her teeth and hair.
8 a.m. I drop Margot at school. Im taking cars today because the leg that I wear a prosthetic on is hurting me. Im wearing a temporary leg until I find a way to get a permanent one through insurance.
Business & Economy
Dec. 10, 2020, 4:09 p.m. ET
9 a.m. I arrive at my shop to paint the walls.
1 p.m. I start my first tattoo appointment of the day, doing a scorpion and woman wrapping around an ankle with flames.
3 p.m. My next client comes in for a spider tattoo. My daughter comes to the studio after school to see me, since Im going to be working past bedtime, and shes thrilled to see the spider. After I finish, Margot tells me about her school day while we eat deli sandwiches. I draw some flash while we hang out.
6 p.m. My client cancels at the last minute, so I ask someone from the salon next door to wash and blow out my hair. All my beauty services are on trade, but I still tip generously.
7 p.m. My last client of the evening is so cute; she gets a tattoo of a cloud and an ornate mirror.
9 p.m. I go to my boyfriends house to see more of his quarantine carpentry projects before we drive back to my house.
11 p.m. I take a really hot bath my body is in PAIN! I cracked the temporary prosthetic today while on my knees painting.
Midnight. I should draw and do some emails, but I just go to bed.
7 a.m. I get up and get myself and my daughter dressed.
9 a.m. After dropping her off, I meet my friend for breakfast. She just started a linen company, so she delivers a set that I ordered. New linens sound nice to me because I think were going back into house arrest soon, which is good and healthy for my city but terrifying for my mental and financial health.
10 a.m. I arrive at my shop and add another coat of paint. I style my jewelry collection on the tables so my clients coming in can see them. I send some emails and send out the decks Ive been working on all week.
2 p.m. My first client comes in for a strawberry tattoo.
4 p.m. My daughter comes to visit me at work! We get food and chat while I post content and draw the design for my next client.
5 p.m. I tattoo a beheaded Marie Antoinette. I listen to the Strokes to honor Sofia Coppola.
7 p.m. After I finish tattooing, my apprentice and I give the shop a good clean. We discuss tattoos that we want to give each other shes really young, but I learn so much from her. The notes come back from the project I sent out, and a lot of it will need to be redone. Im frustrated and FaceTime my business manager, who promises to help and says its not a bad thing.
8 p.m. I get home, and my daughter is awake! Im elated, and we eat Oatly ice cream and dance to Paris Hiltons Stars Are Blind. I put her to bed a little late so I can enjoy my extra time with her.
10 p.m. I dont watch much TV, but everyone is talking about The Queens Gambit, so I watch one episode while wearing three Lidocaine patches because my leg is really hurting. I text with my prosthetist about how we can get a new prosthetic approved. I should draw, but Im in a lot of pain and go to bed.
8 a.m. I get up with my daughter and start making adjustments on the project.
10:30 a.m. I do yoga for 10 minutes and give up and get dressed.
12:30 p.m. I think Im tattooing the most interesting man in the world. He gets a huge leopard with vines instead of spots. I feel so blessed that my clients share so much of their lives with me. He tells me about breaking in horses in Costa Rica, dancing in the Nutcracker ballet at West Point and acting in Paris.
4 p.m. My second client comes for a tattoo, but theyre feeling off and Im feeling off about it. I dont like to tattoo anything big like that, so I offer them a small tattoo for free and a reschedule.
6 p.m. Im home just in time! Rosaluna Mezcal gifted me dinner and drinks to share with friends in exchange for posts. My closest friends my apprentice and business manager and sister all get really dressed up so it can feel like the old days, when we used to go to parties. We make mezcal Negronis. Its just girls that have been in my pod since June, but wearing lipstick and eating and dancing is such a luxury these days.
9 p.m. I excuse myself from the dinner party to put my daughter to bed. I lay in her bed sending emails while she falls asleep and then rejoin my friends.
3 a.m. My sister passes out. Everyone goes home, and I go to bed.
Read the rest here:
The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times
- Influences and Essentials: DAN LORENZO In His Own Words - OUTBURN ONLINE - Outburn - July 26th, 2021
- Fentanyl Is Wreaking Havoc in Tijuana. Is the Rest of Mexico Next? - VICE - July 26th, 2021
- Home page - American Body Art - Tattoo Supplies Online ... - July 10th, 2021
- Rat City Tat2: "On to the Next Shop" - Westside Seattle - July 10th, 2021
- A Veteran's Journey From Army to Storming the Capitol | Time - TIME - TIME - July 10th, 2021
- The MacIver Weekly Disease Brief: COVID-19 In Wisconsin - MacIverInstitute - July 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Needle Market 2021: Global Trends, Business Overview, Challenges, Opportunities Analysis and Forecast to 2027 The Manomet Current - The... - June 30th, 2021
- Camp LighterHow New, Compact Gear Makes It Easier Than Ever to Get Outdoors - The Wall Street Journal - June 30th, 2021
- Tattoo Needle Market 2021 Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth Analysis, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 30th, 2021
- I'm Sorry To Say That Bonkers Tweet About The Big Rig Driver Who Looks Like Amy Schumer Is A Joke - Jalopnik - June 13th, 2021
- Would the Real Toeflop Please Stand Up? - Texas Monthly - June 1st, 2021
- List of businesses that can operate in containment zones released - Fijivillage - May 20th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Houston - Kev's Best - February 20th, 2021
- Vintage Tattoo owner strives to keep artistry and inclusivity alive - The Reflector online - February 20th, 2021
- Blood drive on March 15th in Hicksville - The Syosset Advance - February 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Forecast in Addition to Top key players like: Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors, and... - February 20th, 2021
- Market Assessment of Tattoo Ink Industry including Top Players like Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors,... - February 17th, 2021
- How River Raids work in Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Gamepur - February 17th, 2021
- Residents Encouraged To Donate Blood At Drive In Hicksville - Patch.com - February 15th, 2021
- Keep it Flowing: Combating COVID-19 Blood Shortages in Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - February 13th, 2021
- Optimistic Growth of Colored Tattoo Inks Market 2021 to High Demand NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 13th, 2021
- Halsey Doesn't Want To Go 'Overboard' On Pregnancy Cravings - OK! - February 10th, 2021
- Spray Covers Market Consumption Analysis, Business Overview and Upcoming Trends|Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply, Tommys Supplies, , , etc -... - February 8th, 2021
- Report Explained: How COVID-19 Has affected The Tattoo Market? | Survey on Future Scope by 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 8th, 2021
- Last Week in The Sentinel | Local News | sentinelsource.com - The Keene Sentinel - February 6th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 31st, 2021
- Then and Now: A look at Gardner's 'Main' menu - The Gardner News - January 31st, 2021
- All About Alev Aydin, Halsey's Boyfriend and Father of Her Child - ELLE.com - January 31st, 2021
- Still Red: Luna County lagging in response to COVID-19 "Red to Green" platform - The Deming Headlight - January 31st, 2021
- Global Tattoo Needles Market by Manufacturers, Types, Regions and Application Research Report Forecast to 2026 The Courier - The Courier - January 27th, 2021
- New Mexico Department Of Health County Map Update: Los Alamos Reaches Yellow Level; Almost Every County Improving In Health Metrics And Suppressing... - January 27th, 2021
- Remington Tattoo Parlor and Gallery Claims To Be The Best Option For Those Searching Online For "Female Tattoo Artists Near Me" In San Diego... - January 20th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2027: Tattoo Goo, Hustle Butter, Ora's Amazing Herbal etc. - KSU | The... - January 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Market 2020 | In-Depth Study On The Current State Of The Industry And Key Insights Of The Business Scenario By 2027 - FLA News - January 15th, 2021
- The Middle East and Africa dermatology treatment devices market is expected to reach US$ 317.68 million in 2027 from US$ 217.01 million in 2019 -... - January 15th, 2021
- McDonald's J Balvin merch line has been canceled due to production challenges, following the wild success of the chain's Travis Scott collab - Markets... - January 12th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Business Opportunities, Survey, Growth Analysis And Industry Outlook | Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommys Supplies, Kuro Sumi... - January 3rd, 2021
- World: Positive news in the difficult year of the pandemic - PRESSENZA International News Agency - January 3rd, 2021
- 32 Counties Operating At Red Level On Department Of Health County Map Including Los Alamos County - Los Alamos Reporter - January 3rd, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market (Europe and US) | What Recent Study Say About Top Companies - NeighborWebSJ - December 27th, 2020
- Market Size, Share and Manufacture covered Globally of Tattoo Market from 2020-2026 - The Monitor - December 27th, 2020
- Global Rotary Tattoo Machines Market 2020 Top Growing Companies Analysis and Segmentation Outlook till 2026 - The Monitor - December 19th, 2020
- Art supply drive for kids to be held Friday - KSNF/KODE - FourStatesHomepage.com - December 18th, 2020
- She was in Iraq when her son was killed. Four years later, the police have no leads. - Houston Chronicle - December 18th, 2020
- Colored Tattoo Inks Market Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application,Forecast (2020-2025) - The Courier - December 7th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 7th, 2020
- Yakuza Like A Dragon: Every Playable Character You Can Have in Your Party - TheGamer - November 30th, 2020
- TATSoul - Tattoo Supplies & Furniture - November 25th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast To 2025 - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla: 6 things you don't want to miss - CNET - November 20th, 2020
- Ailed Duarte on the unique pressures and pleasures of tattooing in Cuba - Roads and Kingdoms - November 18th, 2020
- Addiction Matters: How a heroin user-turned-hero saved so many others, but not himself - WWLTV.com - November 18th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- Despite pandemic, Bobby Natalini Jr. Blood Drive will continue to build supplies for Red Cross - The Times Herald - November 16th, 2020
- How Art Therapy Helped One Cancer Survivor Manage COVID-19 Lockdown - Curetoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and... - November 10th, 2020
- Governor adds new restrictions on gatherings - Government - vintontoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market 2026: Report Recent Trends and Growth Opportunities by Major Players Cloud Dragon (CN), Wujiang Shenli (CN), Magic Moon... - November 4th, 2020
- WHAT'S BEING PLANNED: McDonald's latest, tattoo parlour on the move and more - Swindon Advertiser - November 1st, 2020
- Incredible Generosity Makes Red Handed Tattoo in Shreveport the Nicest Place in Louisiana - Reader's Digest - November 1st, 2020
- Global Spray Covers Industry Statistics & Forecast to 2026 | Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply - re:Jerusalem - October 28th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Tattoo Machine Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra, Worldwide Tattoo Supply,... - October 24th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market by technology, solutions, application, price, demand analysis and growth opportunities to 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 24th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study... - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market Size, Production, Consumption, Export and Import, Growth Rate and Price Analysis by Types and Applications, Forecast to 2025 -... - October 14th, 2020
- Kern County could move to next tier, how industries are preparing - KERO 23ABC News - October 14th, 2020
- Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum Partners With Kingpin Tattoo Supplies For #SupportYourArtist - BevNET.com - October 10th, 2020
- Covid-19 has resurrected the woeful tech of home printers - Wired.co.uk - October 10th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Decal Paper Market based on types and application - GroundAlerts.com - October 7th, 2020
- Cuban Tattoo Art and the Challenges Ahead - Havana Times - October 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market 2020 |Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2026| Latest Research Report By... - September 30th, 2020
- Women tattoo artists make mark on industry in Boulder County - Longmont Times-Call - September 30th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market: 2020 Global Industry Size Share, Regional Analysis, End Users, Growth Insights, Top Key Players and Forecast To 2026 -... - September 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Tattoo Ink Market Analysis by Recent Trends and Growth by Region 2020| Intenze Tattoo Ink, Alla Prima, Kuro Sumi - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- Latest Research Report on Tattoo Ink Market To Exhibit Impressive Growth By 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 23rd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market research gain impetus due to the growing demand over (2020 2027) - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market Size, Type Analysis, Application Analysis, End-Use, Industry COVID-19 Impact on Analysis, Regions, Trends, Competitive Strategies... - September 22nd, 2020
- UL's Devon Pauley helping Cajuns make historic strides, while thoughts always with Lake Charles - The Advocate - September 22nd, 2020
- In Place of Police: The Oregon Experiment | by Krithika Varagur - The New York Review of Books - September 18th, 2020
- Restaurants, retail stores and office buildings will now be able to operate at 75 percent capacity - The Light and Champion - September 18th, 2020