I have a little tattoo of a cross on my right hip. It is horrible. It is small and fat, like someone made a cross out of clay then squashed it. It leans to the right for no particular reason, like a terrible tribute to the tower of Pisa. I am very fond of it, because the story behind it is incredibly stupid.
I was 18 and cool-adjacent just about enough of my acquaintances were cool that I could hang out in cool social circles, but deep down I knew I was only cool by association, which pained me greatly. My housemate and I had been invited to a squat party in south London by this woman, Cat, who was definitely cool.
We spent most of the afternoon figuring out what to wear then took the bus down from Shoreditch to Camberwell, only to realise wed misread the text. Wed turned up to the cool south London squat party two hours early. Cat still let us in, we were mortified, and about an hour in we overheard her on the phone tell a (presumably cool) friend about these two random French girls whod arrived already. We looked at each other in silence and terror.
Would anyone like a tattoo? The beautiful men all raised their hand, so I raised mine as well
People turned up eventually and the party got going. The room was full of beautiful, heavily tattooed men and we just about managed to blend in. At around 4am, Cat announced to the room that she had a safety pin and Indian ink, and had recently learned to tattoo people. Would anyone like a tattoo? The beautiful men all raised their hand, so I raised mine as well.
It got to my turn at about 5am, and a very drunk Cat asked me what I wanted. I panicked and said a cross, because it was the first shape I could think of, and on my love handle, because I figured it would be better to pick a fleshy part of my body. I did my best to look relaxed and tough while she repeatedly poked me with the pin shed used on about half a dozen people already, and one of the beautiful men held my hand for support.
For a week afterwards I was quietly convinced I was going to get sepsis then die, but I didnt instead, I will just live the rest of my natural life with a vile little cross on my hip. It took some time, but I really like it now. Here, just under my skin, is a reminder that nothing will ever quite match the bone-deep, all-consuming obsession an 18-year-old can have for being cool. It is also a lesson in self-acceptance. Getting a homemade tattoo done by a random drunk woman just to fit in is trying too hard. Im a massive try-hard, and there is nothing I can do about it.
I also know this because of the little star I have on the inside of my right knee, tattooed on me by a random drunk woman when I was 22. Id gone to New York with two of my best friends none of us had been to New York before and it had turned out thered been a misunderstanding. I was hoping to party every night and sleep through the days and they wanted to do tedious, adult things like walking around Central Park and visiting tourist attractions.
I was desperate to come back with a neverending list of shocking anecdotes, but the days went by and nothing exciting happened to us. I was furious. On our last day I ditched them and went to a backyard party in the depths of Brooklyn, recommended to me by a beautiful, heavily tattooed man I knew in London.
Everyone there was very cool and relaxed and I was incredibly tense, and determined to do something anecdote-worthy before sundown. I got talking to a musician who was so obscenely Texan I assumed it was an act, but it didnt seem to be. That could work, I thought a dalliance with a man whose accent was so strong he made the whole conversation sound like we were in a movie. That would be something to write home about.
When he left abruptly to go to a band rehearsal I was so angry I could have cried, and so I did the one thing I knew I could always do. I went up to the woman in the corner who was handing out homemade tattoos and I asked her to do one on me. If I couldnt go home with outrageous stories, I could at least worry about sepsis on the flight back.
The star hasnt aged quite as badly as the cross, maybe because it was made by someone a little less drunk, but it still isnt very nice. You can really tell it wasnt done by a professional. Compared to these two, the other handful of tattoos I got since then look a lot nicer. I paid handsomely for them, planned them in advance, and picked my artist carefully.
Still, I dont love them as much as my terrible stick and pokes. I love these two so much that in March, when the lockdown started, I went into a sort of trance and ordered a kit for homemade tattoos online. There was a plan: I was going to train on the sheet of practice skin the kit had provided an A4 of worryingly glutinous material and once I had perfected a design, I would get started on my own skin.
It felt like a good compromise. I am no longer 18 or 22, and if I must be silly, I should be responsible about it. Instead, what happened was I got drunk on tins of beer alone three nights later and watched Birds of Prey, the movie about Harley Quinn. At around 11pm, I grabbed my supplies, drew a small diamond on my right thigh with a pencil, and tattooed it into my skin.
The week that followed was an anxious one. I am already worried about the ever-present threat of sepsis at the best of times, and having nothing to do but sit around and worry about it was not an enjoyable experience. On the bright side, it healed well. It is not a very nice diamond, but it is a bit better than the star, and definitely a lot better than the cross.
It also gave me something to talk about when lockdown ended and we started swapping notes about our survival techniques. Some had made banana bread, others got into yoga, but I, a woman nearing 30 with a respectable career, had tattooed myself while drunk. That I did it makes me a try-hard. I know it does.
Id assumed my homemade tattoo days were behind me. I was wrong. The pandemic showed me that
It is what I like about stick and pokes, really. Here, on my skin, are multiple admissions that sometimes you just do things because you want something to talk about. I am no longer an 18-year-old tragically trying to become cool of my own accord, or a 22-year-old desperate to come back from New York with exciting and salacious stories to tell my friends. I am 28 and, in comparison, quite boring now. My hair isnt even green or blue or pink any more.
In fact, Id assumed that my homemade tattoo days were behind me. Id changed and grown and there was no need for me to prove myself by doing something daring but dumb. I was wrong. The pandemic showed me that. Faced with the prospect of being alone for weeks on end, I realised that what I craved was something truly spontaneous, and that is what the diamond provided. That I tried to plan it first was foolish the entire point of a stick and poke is that it takes you by surprise. One moment your skin is clear, the next it has been altered forever, on a whim.
They also create an indelible link to your future self. Like uncovering fossils, I can now look at my hip and remember exactly who I was as a teenager and how it made me feel. I hope that in 10 years, when I am 38 and even more boring, I can look at my knee and fondly think back to the person I was at 28, and to what I went through that year.
All things considered, I no longer think theres any shame in doing things mostly so you can say you have done them. It is not a cool admission, but its fine. I like trying too hard, its who I am. I cant even lie to myself about it my wonky little tattoos will always give me away.
Marie Le Contes book Havent You Heard? Gossip, Politics and Power is out now at 9.29 from guardianbookshop.com
Originally posted here:
The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian
- Influences and Essentials: DAN LORENZO In His Own Words - OUTBURN ONLINE - Outburn - July 26th, 2021
- Fentanyl Is Wreaking Havoc in Tijuana. Is the Rest of Mexico Next? - VICE - July 26th, 2021
- Home page - American Body Art - Tattoo Supplies Online ... - July 10th, 2021
- Rat City Tat2: "On to the Next Shop" - Westside Seattle - July 10th, 2021
- A Veteran's Journey From Army to Storming the Capitol | Time - TIME - TIME - July 10th, 2021
- The MacIver Weekly Disease Brief: COVID-19 In Wisconsin - MacIverInstitute - July 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Needle Market 2021: Global Trends, Business Overview, Challenges, Opportunities Analysis and Forecast to 2027 The Manomet Current - The... - June 30th, 2021
- Camp LighterHow New, Compact Gear Makes It Easier Than Ever to Get Outdoors - The Wall Street Journal - June 30th, 2021
- Tattoo Needle Market 2021 Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth Analysis, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 30th, 2021
- I'm Sorry To Say That Bonkers Tweet About The Big Rig Driver Who Looks Like Amy Schumer Is A Joke - Jalopnik - June 13th, 2021
- Would the Real Toeflop Please Stand Up? - Texas Monthly - June 1st, 2021
- List of businesses that can operate in containment zones released - Fijivillage - May 20th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Houston - Kev's Best - February 20th, 2021
- Vintage Tattoo owner strives to keep artistry and inclusivity alive - The Reflector online - February 20th, 2021
- Blood drive on March 15th in Hicksville - The Syosset Advance - February 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Forecast in Addition to Top key players like: Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors, and... - February 20th, 2021
- Market Assessment of Tattoo Ink Industry including Top Players like Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors,... - February 17th, 2021
- How River Raids work in Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Gamepur - February 17th, 2021
- Residents Encouraged To Donate Blood At Drive In Hicksville - Patch.com - February 15th, 2021
- Keep it Flowing: Combating COVID-19 Blood Shortages in Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - February 13th, 2021
- Optimistic Growth of Colored Tattoo Inks Market 2021 to High Demand NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 13th, 2021
- Halsey Doesn't Want To Go 'Overboard' On Pregnancy Cravings - OK! - February 10th, 2021
- Spray Covers Market Consumption Analysis, Business Overview and Upcoming Trends|Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply, Tommys Supplies, , , etc -... - February 8th, 2021
- Report Explained: How COVID-19 Has affected The Tattoo Market? | Survey on Future Scope by 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 8th, 2021
- Last Week in The Sentinel | Local News | sentinelsource.com - The Keene Sentinel - February 6th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 31st, 2021
- Then and Now: A look at Gardner's 'Main' menu - The Gardner News - January 31st, 2021
- All About Alev Aydin, Halsey's Boyfriend and Father of Her Child - ELLE.com - January 31st, 2021
- Still Red: Luna County lagging in response to COVID-19 "Red to Green" platform - The Deming Headlight - January 31st, 2021
- Global Tattoo Needles Market by Manufacturers, Types, Regions and Application Research Report Forecast to 2026 The Courier - The Courier - January 27th, 2021
- New Mexico Department Of Health County Map Update: Los Alamos Reaches Yellow Level; Almost Every County Improving In Health Metrics And Suppressing... - January 27th, 2021
- Remington Tattoo Parlor and Gallery Claims To Be The Best Option For Those Searching Online For "Female Tattoo Artists Near Me" In San Diego... - January 20th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2027: Tattoo Goo, Hustle Butter, Ora's Amazing Herbal etc. - KSU | The... - January 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Market 2020 | In-Depth Study On The Current State Of The Industry And Key Insights Of The Business Scenario By 2027 - FLA News - January 15th, 2021
- The Middle East and Africa dermatology treatment devices market is expected to reach US$ 317.68 million in 2027 from US$ 217.01 million in 2019 -... - January 15th, 2021
- McDonald's J Balvin merch line has been canceled due to production challenges, following the wild success of the chain's Travis Scott collab - Markets... - January 12th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Business Opportunities, Survey, Growth Analysis And Industry Outlook | Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommys Supplies, Kuro Sumi... - January 3rd, 2021
- World: Positive news in the difficult year of the pandemic - PRESSENZA International News Agency - January 3rd, 2021
- 32 Counties Operating At Red Level On Department Of Health County Map Including Los Alamos County - Los Alamos Reporter - January 3rd, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market (Europe and US) | What Recent Study Say About Top Companies - NeighborWebSJ - December 27th, 2020
- Market Size, Share and Manufacture covered Globally of Tattoo Market from 2020-2026 - The Monitor - December 27th, 2020
- Global Rotary Tattoo Machines Market 2020 Top Growing Companies Analysis and Segmentation Outlook till 2026 - The Monitor - December 19th, 2020
- Art supply drive for kids to be held Friday - KSNF/KODE - FourStatesHomepage.com - December 18th, 2020
- She was in Iraq when her son was killed. Four years later, the police have no leads. - Houston Chronicle - December 18th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 10th, 2020
- Colored Tattoo Inks Market Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application,Forecast (2020-2025) - The Courier - December 7th, 2020
- Yakuza Like A Dragon: Every Playable Character You Can Have in Your Party - TheGamer - November 30th, 2020
- TATSoul - Tattoo Supplies & Furniture - November 25th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast To 2025 - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla: 6 things you don't want to miss - CNET - November 20th, 2020
- Ailed Duarte on the unique pressures and pleasures of tattooing in Cuba - Roads and Kingdoms - November 18th, 2020
- Addiction Matters: How a heroin user-turned-hero saved so many others, but not himself - WWLTV.com - November 18th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- Despite pandemic, Bobby Natalini Jr. Blood Drive will continue to build supplies for Red Cross - The Times Herald - November 16th, 2020
- How Art Therapy Helped One Cancer Survivor Manage COVID-19 Lockdown - Curetoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and... - November 10th, 2020
- Governor adds new restrictions on gatherings - Government - vintontoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market 2026: Report Recent Trends and Growth Opportunities by Major Players Cloud Dragon (CN), Wujiang Shenli (CN), Magic Moon... - November 4th, 2020
- WHAT'S BEING PLANNED: McDonald's latest, tattoo parlour on the move and more - Swindon Advertiser - November 1st, 2020
- Incredible Generosity Makes Red Handed Tattoo in Shreveport the Nicest Place in Louisiana - Reader's Digest - November 1st, 2020
- Global Spray Covers Industry Statistics & Forecast to 2026 | Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply - re:Jerusalem - October 28th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Tattoo Machine Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra, Worldwide Tattoo Supply,... - October 24th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market by technology, solutions, application, price, demand analysis and growth opportunities to 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 24th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study... - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market Size, Production, Consumption, Export and Import, Growth Rate and Price Analysis by Types and Applications, Forecast to 2025 -... - October 14th, 2020
- Kern County could move to next tier, how industries are preparing - KERO 23ABC News - October 14th, 2020
- Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum Partners With Kingpin Tattoo Supplies For #SupportYourArtist - BevNET.com - October 10th, 2020
- Covid-19 has resurrected the woeful tech of home printers - Wired.co.uk - October 10th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Decal Paper Market based on types and application - GroundAlerts.com - October 7th, 2020
- Cuban Tattoo Art and the Challenges Ahead - Havana Times - October 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market 2020 |Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2026| Latest Research Report By... - September 30th, 2020
- Women tattoo artists make mark on industry in Boulder County - Longmont Times-Call - September 30th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market: 2020 Global Industry Size Share, Regional Analysis, End Users, Growth Insights, Top Key Players and Forecast To 2026 -... - September 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Tattoo Ink Market Analysis by Recent Trends and Growth by Region 2020| Intenze Tattoo Ink, Alla Prima, Kuro Sumi - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- Latest Research Report on Tattoo Ink Market To Exhibit Impressive Growth By 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 23rd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market research gain impetus due to the growing demand over (2020 2027) - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market Size, Type Analysis, Application Analysis, End-Use, Industry COVID-19 Impact on Analysis, Regions, Trends, Competitive Strategies... - September 22nd, 2020
- UL's Devon Pauley helping Cajuns make historic strides, while thoughts always with Lake Charles - The Advocate - September 22nd, 2020
- In Place of Police: The Oregon Experiment | by Krithika Varagur - The New York Review of Books - September 18th, 2020
- Restaurants, retail stores and office buildings will now be able to operate at 75 percent capacity - The Light and Champion - September 18th, 2020