Both tattoos byDavid Baro
Tattoos mirror feelings, and this year everyone has been feeling much the same: scared, stir-crazy, and thoroughly sick of COVID. For tattoo artists, this has resulted in a small wave of people requesting COVID-themed tattooseither in the form of people wearing face masks, or just cartoon renderings of the virus itself.
We wanted to get an idea of how often these requests are coming through, so we emailed a bunch of tattoo artists from around the world. They each gave us a short interview on how their art has imitated life, and sent us a photo of their proudest COVID-themed ink to date.
Rami Ramo Rosvall, FinlandIG: @ramotattooTattooing for 14 years
VICE: How many COVID tattoo requests have you had?Ramo: Ive had quite a few, but Ive only been able to do one so far because my waiting list is super long.
What was the inspiration behind your COVID tattoo?Ive designed a few, but the one Ive already done is definitely my favourite. I love doing portraits, and this tattoo is a portrait of a distinguished gentleman wearing a mask and with COVID script on his face. To me it represents that classism doesnt exist during crisis; that were all going through this together no matter how much money we have. My client just wanted something crazy to remind him of this crazy time.
Do you think getting a COVID tattoo is becoming a trend?Right now, yes. Its like when any worldwide phenomenon occurslike a new hit Hollywood movieit can be seen in tattooing. At the moment, COVID is trending all over the world. Its all we talk about.
Will people be getting COVID tattoos long after its over?I dont know if people will still want COVID tattoos five years after the pandemic, but then again, will it ever be over? We could all be getting COVID tattoos for the rest of our lives.
Mundane Death, Australia@_mundanedeathTattooing for one year
How many COVID requests have you had since the shop reopened a month ago?Ive only done the one so far, but got another couple booked in for later this month.
What inspired the one youve done?This year, really. I was on such a roll and then lockdown kinda killed my momentum. The inspiration just came from around me; Ive been drawing latex gloves, plague doctors and medical masks for months. I just put them on my Instagram and people resonate with them and want them done. My friend loved the design of the cute girl with a mask, so she came in and we smashed it out. Now she has a reminder of 2020!
Have you always been inspired by the things happening around you?Yeah. I grew up kinda poor so I never had video game consoles or anything like that, and I started drawing just to keep myself busy and entertained. I guess Ive always let my emotions come out through drawing.
Do you think COVID-themed tattoos are becoming a trend?People definitely seem to want a permanent reminder of this year. But I think tattoos are good for peoples mental health too. Getting a tattoo after an absence feels good; like a breath of fresh air.
Woodz, Brooklyn, USA@woodzartTattooing for 15 years
Who did you do your COVID tattoo on?A managing nurse at Brooklyn Hospital. She contacted me in April as the levels were rising and her hospital was overwhelmed with severely ill COVID patients. She wanted to commemorate that time with an everlasting keepsake, as a reminder of the stress, sacrifice and loss. Hopefully this will be a thing of the past one day and she can look back on it and be proud.
What is the tattoo of?Its a take on the Virgin Mary wearing PPE; basically, my version of the Virgin Mary as a COVID first responder nurse. My client inspired the design. I incorporated Indigenous flowers of her native homeland as well.
Have you designed many COVID-related tattoos?I havent really pre-designed any. If people feel they need them, I let them come to me and I design based on their specific experiences, emotions and inspirations. Its kind of like their therapy, designing a keepsake to symbolise the way theyve dealt with the pandemic.
Have you got any more COVID tattoos lined up?No, but since reopening in July the studio has been busier than ever, and tattoos are integral in self-care for people across many demographics. Im sure that well see plenty more COVID-related tattoos as people try to get their life and their mental health back on track.
Do you think these designs will become a trend?Yeah, I think they already have. Personally, I think its tasteless to profit off a pandemic; Id rather do tattoos that help people through a healing process. The trend and the pandemic wont last. Thats been my driving force throughout this whole shitshow.
David Baro, Portugal@baraovtattooTattooing for seven years.
Have you been asked to do many COVID-themed tattoos?Ive done a few actually! I love them. My favourite is the COVID bug or virus with a 2020 banner. Fuck 2020.
Why do you love them?I love that people have the guts to tattoo something like that on them, and that its such a harsh, unavoidable reminder of a crazy awful year.
Who got your first COVID-themed tattoo?A long-time client who has become my friend. He was supposed to be travelling overseas the day before, and of course, he couldnt. So his reaction was to get a virus tattoo.
What inspired you to design COVID-themed tattoos?Tattoos come from a feeling, similar to music or perfume. You know when you smell something familiar and it takes you to a feeling? I wanted to capture the feeling of this year in the form of tattoos.
COVID has changed all of our lives so radically this year. There are parts I want to forget, but also things Ive learnt that I want to remember. Its also going to be super funny to show our grandchildren these tattoos. Theyll spark so many stories, both joyful and horrific.
Dominic Sniatowski, PolandIG: baddecisiontatsTattooing for four years
Whats your favourite COVID-themed tattoo youve done?My favourite is a tattoo I called Devotion. Its the face of a young woman with tears streaming down her face and a medical COVID mask that has a smiley face.
What inspired Devotion?The word itself is an ode to all the frontline workers. Theyve seen so much pain this year, yet theyve stuck through it and put a happy face on and theyve remained dedicated to saving lives.
I really wanted to create a dramatic image; something that would get people in the gut, you know? I cant imagine how dark it wouldve been to see all that grief and loss in such a short time period, especially with all the uncertainty and just having no answers for peoples loved ones.
Has COVID brought out a lot of creativity in you?Yeah. I mean Ive felt a lot of emotions, which always sparks creativity. This design in particular pretty much drew itself. Ive been thinking of words a lot, like pain, suffering and devotion and the creativity just starts there and goes in its own direction.
The pandemic is fucking everywhere, theres so much imagery to draw fromthings weve never seen on this scale before.
Like what?Like you know, masks: the standard COVID ones but also people wearing face shields and gas masks. Its like a horror film. But masks have also really forced you to look into peoples eyes, which is actually kind of beautiful and another reason why I wanted my design to have one.
Interview by Laura Roscioli. Follow her on Instagram
See the original post here:
- New Mural in Brewery Block - Big Island Now - January 15th, 2021
- UD Artist Spotlight: Colleen Anderson The Review - University of Delaware Review - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Insider - INSIDER - January 12th, 2021
- Parents cause outrage by subjecting their 7-year-old daughter to a tattoo on her leg - Explica - January 12th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Nottinghamshire during the pandemic - Nottinghamshire Live - January 9th, 2021
- Buzz in the CBD as Lismore inks in new tattoo studio - Northern Star - January 9th, 2021
- Ashley Martson removes tattoo dedicated to ex-husband Jay Smith - Monsters and Critics - January 9th, 2021
- ON THE RECORD: Harmonica man Sugar Blue and 'huh?' - The Sanford Herald - January 9th, 2021
- Young Cornish tattooist is 'like an old lady' because of condition - Cornwall Live - January 5th, 2021
- Business notes: Cinder and Sea to hold art classes in the new year - Cowichan Valley Citizen - January 3rd, 2021
- Striking image takes first place in Cleator Moor competition | News and Star - News & Star - January 3rd, 2021
- 15 things to watch out for in the new Pixar movie - Inspired Traveler - December 31st, 2020
- The Glasgow 'society tattooist' admired by Billy Connolly and the upper classes - Glasgow Times - December 28th, 2020
- blackbear Thrived This Year and Probably Will Next Year - SPIN - December 28th, 2020
- Planning chiefs give the go-ahead for retail unit to be turned into tattoo studio - Salisbury Journal - December 25th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 2: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 2 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Kat Von D, famed tattoo artist, slams California's 'tyrannical' overreach: 'Indiana here we come!' - Washington Times - December 25th, 2020
- Disneys Snow White: 10 Evil Queen Tattoos That Prove She Was The Fairest Of Them All - Screen Rant - December 25th, 2020
- Bollywood tattoo artist Vikas Malani on how COVID-19 affected the tattoo industry - The Hindu - December 25th, 2020
- Man travels 7km along SH1 on back of his stolen ute, trying to convince alleged thief to stop - Stuff.co.nz - December 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Tattoos: The Correlation To Your Safety - Mid-day - December 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter Shows Off Her First Tattoo, And Her Costars Have Some Thoughts - The Inquisitr - December 19th, 2020
- How Many Tattoos Does Dua Lipa Have? Inside All of Her Tattoos and Their Meanings - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 19th, 2020
- This Alberta dad sat through 30 hours of tattoo pain so his son would feel better about birthmark - CBC.ca - December 11th, 2020
- Sing Along Forever: The Bouncing Souls Enter Their Fifties And FatherhoodTogether - Forbes - December 11th, 2020
- Getting inked: Tattoos more 'popular than ever' 4BC - 4BC - December 11th, 2020
- Steven Chilton Architects unwraps Sunac Guangzhou Grand Theatre - Dezeen - December 11th, 2020
- 'Art is sanity:' Artist with background in graffiti depends on his creations to keep him grounded - Webster Journal - December 3rd, 2020
- Making Moves: 26 Ways To Get Involved In Dallas This Week. - Central Track - December 3rd, 2020
- Grace Zoom-A-Thon Today | News | thecheyennepost.com - thecheyennepost.com - December 1st, 2020
- Justin Bieber Chats About Haileys Thanksgiving Cooking, His Recent Performances, Tattoos & More On Ellen DeGeneres Show (Watch Now) -... - December 1st, 2020
- Best of the Best Spokane Tattoo Shops: All About It Ink Tattoo Studio - PRUnderground - November 30th, 2020
- We Meet an Artist Carrying On Japans Hand-Poked Tattoo Traditions - VICE - November 30th, 2020
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Size, Analysis, Growth, Trends, Outlook And Forecast By 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Morris Museum Presents the Tapestries of Jon Eric Riis - Baristanet - November 30th, 2020
- Local body art studio highlights brand meaning and how it has sustained through COVID-19 - WBRC - November 28th, 2020
- Best of the Red River Valley 2020: Best Tattoo Shop | INFORUM - INFORUM - November 28th, 2020
- Lockdown-defying tattoo shop raided for second time as owner wrongly cites Magna Carta - The Samford Crimson - November 27th, 2020
- Centreville shop takes on mission to 'Erase the Hate' - MyEasternShoreMD - November 27th, 2020
- Five businesses earn Best of Largo honors - Tampa Bay Newspapers - November 27th, 2020
- Missing pregnant teen from New Bedford believed to be found dead in Florida - The Boston Globe - November 27th, 2020
- 'This year has brought out the best in a lot of people' Wakefield shop owner says - Wakefield Express - November 27th, 2020
- How Vermonters Are Coping With Being Apart In the Pandemic - Seven Days - November 27th, 2020
- 'Changes the feel of Mission' Tattoo shop owner hopes wooly mammoth mural brings people to Johnson Dr. - Shawnee Mission Post - November 25th, 2020
- Friday the 13th still happens safely amidst pandemic - FSView & Florida Flambeau - November 25th, 2020
- Travis Barker got a new face tattoo, and it might look familiar - Alternative Press - November 25th, 2020
- Kurt Cobain Daughter Frances Says You Will Not Be Missed As She Shows Her Regretful Tattoo A ... - Metalhead Zone - November 25th, 2020
- While some struggling businesses close in Wilmington, others open in their place - UNCW Seahawk - November 25th, 2020
- An Interview With California-Based Singer-Songwriter LIBERTY On Her Debut Original Single 'Tattoo' and Much More! | All - All Access Music Group - November 25th, 2020
- Green-Wood Cemeterys New Artist-in-Residence - The New Yorker - November 25th, 2020
- Meet the young Houston artist who offers free self-harm cover up tattoos - Chron - November 21st, 2020
- Tattoo addict has number six CARVED into his scalp and plans to get the Devils 666 - The Scottish Sun - November 21st, 2020
- Businesses invited to make town centre shine with Festive Windows competition - Tamworth Informed - November 21st, 2020
- Tattoo Studio Just4UsShopping -TheApp - November 18th, 2020
- Tattoo addict has number six CARVED into his scalp and plans to get the Devils 666 - The Sun - November 18th, 2020
- Businesses invited to make Tamworth town centre shine with Festive Windows competition - Tamworth Borough Council - November 18th, 2020
- Remington Tattoo Parlor: How to Choose from the Tattoo Shops Near Me in San Diego - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 18th, 2020
- Nick McMaster combines his passions for tattoos and art at Cinder and Sea - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - November 16th, 2020
- Friday the 13th tattoo deals in Gainesville - The Independent Florida Alligator - November 16th, 2020
- Police officer tells lockdown breach tattoo artist Aron Walton: 'I'll leave you to it' - Bristol Live - November 16th, 2020
- Vanessa Hudgens Adds a New Tattoo to Her Collection - Al-Bawaba - November 16th, 2020
- Tattoo Studio Software Market 2020: Size, Professional Survey, and Forecast to 2027 - Eurowire - November 12th, 2020
- Sault tattoo artist says demand has increased as people look to cross things off their bucket list - CTV Toronto - November 12th, 2020
- GFRIEND, the K-pop group released MAGO MV showcasing their disco moves; Watch - Republic World - November 12th, 2020
- Underrated albums you should listen to The Oracle - The Oracle - November 12th, 2020
- 35th Legislative District: Don Nevills (Write-In) - Tube City Almanac - The Tube City Almanac - November 5th, 2020
- Above All Tattoo Takes Inking To The Next Level With Detailed Tattoo Designs - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 5th, 2020
- Bristol tattooist says he will open shop in lockdown and wants a 'party' - Bristol Live - November 3rd, 2020
- Women with most embarrassing tattoo fails ever share their disastrous inkings - Daily Star - November 3rd, 2020
- Consider This Your Ultimate Guide to Cosmetic Tattooing and Permanent Makeup - POPSUGAR - November 1st, 2020
- This Makeup Artists Avant-Garde Looks Will Inspire You to Use Your Face as a Canvas - Vogue - October 31st, 2020
- Trend Blazer - Daily Pioneer - October 30th, 2020
- Japan Ink: Growing tribe proudly defies tattoo taboo - Japan Today - October 30th, 2020
- Kunal Kemmu's Stylish Tiger Tattoo Took 4 Years to Complete and It Looks Awesome - Report Door - October 30th, 2020
- Paulina Goto boasts a special new tattoo in honor of her recently deceased father - OI Canadian - October 30th, 2020
- Eyebrow Enhancements: What to Know, Straight from the Experts - Coveteur - October 30th, 2020
- Consider This Your Ultimate Guide to Cosmetic Tattooing and Permanent Makeup - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 28th, 2020
- Tattoos Have Gotten 'a Little Bit Bolder' During the Pandemic, This Artist Says - Bedford + Bowery - October 28th, 2020
- Japan ink: Growing tribe proudly defies tattoo taboo and hopes for Olympic boost - The Japan Times - October 28th, 2020
- Love Island's Theo Campbell and Georgia Harrison show off matching tattoos - Heat - October 28th, 2020