By Robby Floyd | December 2nd, 2020
Jordan Massey used to watch graffiti trains pass through his hometown. Now, he uses spray paint to create all kinds of art.
Jordan Massey grew up watching local graffiti artists paint the trains that came through De Soto, Missouri. The graffiti trains arrived covered in designs from similar artists around the United States. Massey would watch as they were either repainted or left to sit in the yard for months before moving on.
Jordan Massey looks at two of his recent creations. Massey creates portraits, stencils and more. Photo by Robby Floyd.
I got to see a lot of artwork that a lot of people dont get to see, Massey said. Thats how I grew up, so I think it was inevitable that Id get into art myself.
Now Massey, better known as RiteHand Robot, does art full-time. He does portraits, murals, stencils, digital art and even made props for a music video once.
Art is sanity for me, Massey said. If I didnt have a way to produce and keep myself busy, I would go crazy.
Massey has severe obsessive-compulsive disorder and uses his art as an outlet to keep himself focused.
Artists that have been doing it for years dont understand how I cut stencils using an Exacto knife, Massey said. Theyre all using lasers to get theirs done.
RiteHand Robot Studios is located in his garage and down the stairs in the basement. Massey said any artist will tell you how important it is to have your work station close to home.
Having your studio in your home beats having a pen and paper on your nightstand, Massey said. It beats trying to sketch out your idea versus being able to bang it out immediately.
Jordan Massey works with spray paint for many of his projects. Duringnice weather, Massey often works in his garage to create art for clients. Photo by Robby Floyd.
Massey has been a part of studios in the past but described them as places of creative clashing and jealousy. He loves the freedom of being able to have his own workspace and work whenever he feels inspired.
When the weather is nice, Massey works from his garage.
[Spray Paint] just isnt good for your air quality to do it indoors, Massey said. I have three kids and to think that could give them any problems while their brains are developing; its just not good.
Massey said spray paint does not work well on cold surfaces, so in the winter, he will do a lot of digital work in his basement studio. This past winter he did book covers, album covers and portraits.
The Thirteen Roses Tattoo parlor in Maryland Heights has many RiteHand Robot pieces on its walls. Owner Matthew Womack met Massey at a local art event. Massey and around thirty other artists were there showcasing their work.
Ive got a weak spot for local artists, Womack said. Some of [Masseys] stuff that Ive gotten is agenda motivated, but a lot of it is just appealing to the eye.
After that show, Womack would become a regular customer of Masseys artwork both for his home and for his tattoo shop.
In the future, Massey wants to create an art show with art that is painted with texture and made to be felt.
Massey hopes to get several other artists together to create a completely tactile show. Hes going to title the show You feel me?
The number one thing youre told at an art show is dont touch anything, Massey said. I wanted to create something you can touch and feel the texture.
Go here to see the original:
- New Mural in Brewery Block - Big Island Now - January 15th, 2021
- UD Artist Spotlight: Colleen Anderson The Review - University of Delaware Review - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Insider - INSIDER - January 12th, 2021
- Parents cause outrage by subjecting their 7-year-old daughter to a tattoo on her leg - Explica - January 12th, 2021
- What it has been like to be a tattoo artist in Nottinghamshire during the pandemic - Nottinghamshire Live - January 9th, 2021
- Buzz in the CBD as Lismore inks in new tattoo studio - Northern Star - January 9th, 2021
- Ashley Martson removes tattoo dedicated to ex-husband Jay Smith - Monsters and Critics - January 9th, 2021
- ON THE RECORD: Harmonica man Sugar Blue and 'huh?' - The Sanford Herald - January 9th, 2021
- Young Cornish tattooist is 'like an old lady' because of condition - Cornwall Live - January 5th, 2021
- Business notes: Cinder and Sea to hold art classes in the new year - Cowichan Valley Citizen - January 3rd, 2021
- Striking image takes first place in Cleator Moor competition | News and Star - News & Star - January 3rd, 2021
- 15 things to watch out for in the new Pixar movie - Inspired Traveler - December 31st, 2020
- The Glasgow 'society tattooist' admired by Billy Connolly and the upper classes - Glasgow Times - December 28th, 2020
- blackbear Thrived This Year and Probably Will Next Year - SPIN - December 28th, 2020
- Planning chiefs give the go-ahead for retail unit to be turned into tattoo studio - Salisbury Journal - December 25th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 2: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 2 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Kat Von D, famed tattoo artist, slams California's 'tyrannical' overreach: 'Indiana here we come!' - Washington Times - December 25th, 2020
- Disneys Snow White: 10 Evil Queen Tattoos That Prove She Was The Fairest Of Them All - Screen Rant - December 25th, 2020
- Bollywood tattoo artist Vikas Malani on how COVID-19 affected the tattoo industry - The Hindu - December 25th, 2020
- Man travels 7km along SH1 on back of his stolen ute, trying to convince alleged thief to stop - Stuff.co.nz - December 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Tattoos: The Correlation To Your Safety - Mid-day - December 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter Shows Off Her First Tattoo, And Her Costars Have Some Thoughts - The Inquisitr - December 19th, 2020
- How Many Tattoos Does Dua Lipa Have? Inside All of Her Tattoos and Their Meanings - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 19th, 2020
- This Alberta dad sat through 30 hours of tattoo pain so his son would feel better about birthmark - CBC.ca - December 11th, 2020
- Sing Along Forever: The Bouncing Souls Enter Their Fifties And FatherhoodTogether - Forbes - December 11th, 2020
- Getting inked: Tattoos more 'popular than ever' 4BC - 4BC - December 11th, 2020
- Steven Chilton Architects unwraps Sunac Guangzhou Grand Theatre - Dezeen - December 11th, 2020
- Making Moves: 26 Ways To Get Involved In Dallas This Week. - Central Track - December 3rd, 2020
- Tattooists Talk About All the COVID Tattoos They've Been Doing - VICE - December 3rd, 2020
- Grace Zoom-A-Thon Today | News | thecheyennepost.com - thecheyennepost.com - December 1st, 2020
- Justin Bieber Chats About Haileys Thanksgiving Cooking, His Recent Performances, Tattoos & More On Ellen DeGeneres Show (Watch Now) -... - December 1st, 2020
- Best of the Best Spokane Tattoo Shops: All About It Ink Tattoo Studio - PRUnderground - November 30th, 2020
- We Meet an Artist Carrying On Japans Hand-Poked Tattoo Traditions - VICE - November 30th, 2020
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Size, Analysis, Growth, Trends, Outlook And Forecast By 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Morris Museum Presents the Tapestries of Jon Eric Riis - Baristanet - November 30th, 2020
- Local body art studio highlights brand meaning and how it has sustained through COVID-19 - WBRC - November 28th, 2020
- Best of the Red River Valley 2020: Best Tattoo Shop | INFORUM - INFORUM - November 28th, 2020
- Lockdown-defying tattoo shop raided for second time as owner wrongly cites Magna Carta - The Samford Crimson - November 27th, 2020
- Centreville shop takes on mission to 'Erase the Hate' - MyEasternShoreMD - November 27th, 2020
- Five businesses earn Best of Largo honors - Tampa Bay Newspapers - November 27th, 2020
- Missing pregnant teen from New Bedford believed to be found dead in Florida - The Boston Globe - November 27th, 2020
- 'This year has brought out the best in a lot of people' Wakefield shop owner says - Wakefield Express - November 27th, 2020
- How Vermonters Are Coping With Being Apart In the Pandemic - Seven Days - November 27th, 2020
- 'Changes the feel of Mission' Tattoo shop owner hopes wooly mammoth mural brings people to Johnson Dr. - Shawnee Mission Post - November 25th, 2020
- Friday the 13th still happens safely amidst pandemic - FSView & Florida Flambeau - November 25th, 2020
- Travis Barker got a new face tattoo, and it might look familiar - Alternative Press - November 25th, 2020
- Kurt Cobain Daughter Frances Says You Will Not Be Missed As She Shows Her Regretful Tattoo A ... - Metalhead Zone - November 25th, 2020
- While some struggling businesses close in Wilmington, others open in their place - UNCW Seahawk - November 25th, 2020
- An Interview With California-Based Singer-Songwriter LIBERTY On Her Debut Original Single 'Tattoo' and Much More! | All - All Access Music Group - November 25th, 2020
- Green-Wood Cemeterys New Artist-in-Residence - The New Yorker - November 25th, 2020
- Meet the young Houston artist who offers free self-harm cover up tattoos - Chron - November 21st, 2020
- Tattoo addict has number six CARVED into his scalp and plans to get the Devils 666 - The Scottish Sun - November 21st, 2020
- Businesses invited to make town centre shine with Festive Windows competition - Tamworth Informed - November 21st, 2020
- Tattoo Studio Just4UsShopping -TheApp - November 18th, 2020
- Tattoo addict has number six CARVED into his scalp and plans to get the Devils 666 - The Sun - November 18th, 2020
- Businesses invited to make Tamworth town centre shine with Festive Windows competition - Tamworth Borough Council - November 18th, 2020
- Remington Tattoo Parlor: How to Choose from the Tattoo Shops Near Me in San Diego - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 18th, 2020
- Nick McMaster combines his passions for tattoos and art at Cinder and Sea - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - November 16th, 2020
- Friday the 13th tattoo deals in Gainesville - The Independent Florida Alligator - November 16th, 2020
- Police officer tells lockdown breach tattoo artist Aron Walton: 'I'll leave you to it' - Bristol Live - November 16th, 2020
- Vanessa Hudgens Adds a New Tattoo to Her Collection - Al-Bawaba - November 16th, 2020
- Tattoo Studio Software Market 2020: Size, Professional Survey, and Forecast to 2027 - Eurowire - November 12th, 2020
- Sault tattoo artist says demand has increased as people look to cross things off their bucket list - CTV Toronto - November 12th, 2020
- GFRIEND, the K-pop group released MAGO MV showcasing their disco moves; Watch - Republic World - November 12th, 2020
- Underrated albums you should listen to The Oracle - The Oracle - November 12th, 2020
- 35th Legislative District: Don Nevills (Write-In) - Tube City Almanac - The Tube City Almanac - November 5th, 2020
- Above All Tattoo Takes Inking To The Next Level With Detailed Tattoo Designs - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 5th, 2020
- Bristol tattooist says he will open shop in lockdown and wants a 'party' - Bristol Live - November 3rd, 2020
- Women with most embarrassing tattoo fails ever share their disastrous inkings - Daily Star - November 3rd, 2020
- Consider This Your Ultimate Guide to Cosmetic Tattooing and Permanent Makeup - POPSUGAR - November 1st, 2020
- This Makeup Artists Avant-Garde Looks Will Inspire You to Use Your Face as a Canvas - Vogue - October 31st, 2020
- Trend Blazer - Daily Pioneer - October 30th, 2020
- Japan Ink: Growing tribe proudly defies tattoo taboo - Japan Today - October 30th, 2020
- Kunal Kemmu's Stylish Tiger Tattoo Took 4 Years to Complete and It Looks Awesome - Report Door - October 30th, 2020
- Paulina Goto boasts a special new tattoo in honor of her recently deceased father - OI Canadian - October 30th, 2020
- Eyebrow Enhancements: What to Know, Straight from the Experts - Coveteur - October 30th, 2020
- Consider This Your Ultimate Guide to Cosmetic Tattooing and Permanent Makeup - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 28th, 2020
- Tattoos Have Gotten 'a Little Bit Bolder' During the Pandemic, This Artist Says - Bedford + Bowery - October 28th, 2020
- Japan ink: Growing tribe proudly defies tattoo taboo and hopes for Olympic boost - The Japan Times - October 28th, 2020
- Love Island's Theo Campbell and Georgia Harrison show off matching tattoos - Heat - October 28th, 2020