When Nick McMaster was eight years old, he fixed a colouring contest at a video store in his home town of Beamsville, Ontario.
There were 140 sheets submitted for the contest. 70 of them were mine, he said.
Determined to win a VHS copy of Babe the 1995 film about an orphaned pig (who was won in a contest in the film as well) McMaster photocopied 70 colouring pages. He coloured the pages all different and dropped each one through the video return slot of FourMost video every day.
Needless to say, he won the colouring contest.
McMaster has always been a maverick. He passed up a scholarship with the University of Toronto, and spent two years at Sheridan College in Oakville, Ontario before he decided art school was bull.
So he left school, and landed a gig at tattoo shop in Hamilton. A short while later, McMaster and a friend moved to Toronto in search of better opportunities.
RELATED: Reflections of Ladysmith: The Art of Michael Dean
RELATED: B.C. artist featured on T.V. series highlighting Indigenous tattoo artistry
I sold my car. Sold all my stuff. I started applying to shops, and got into this little shop in the West End. I worked there for a little bit, then I met my girlfriend shes my wife now I met her a couple months after I started tattooing.
Young and in love, he managed to get a job just four blocks away from the house of his then girlfriend now wife Agnes.
McMaster went on to work at several shops, rambling his way through Etobicoke, Hamilton, and Woodbridge. For a brief period, McMaster worked five days a week at one shop, and three days a week at another.
I was doing thousands of tattoos a year it was insane, he said.
Through tattooing you can either stick to one shop and be super loyal. Or you can be like me and be a vampire, work at a shop, learn as much as you can, then move on to another shop and learn as much as you can.
Now McMaster is 31 years old, and owns Cinder and Sea, a tattoo and fine art studio on Willow Street in Chemainus. In the front of the shop, McMaster showcases his paintings, sculptures, and carvings. Much of his art features landscapes and animals of the west coast. In the back, he has a private tattoo studio.
McMasters work is inspired by the animals of landscapes of the West Coast. (Cole Schisler photo)
A large cedar sculpture of a bear occupies the centre of the gallery space. (Cole Schisler photo)
Cinder and Sea opened in September 2019 after McMaster renovated the interior of the shop which was formally occupied by Salt Spring Soapworks. Everything from the flooring to the shelving was put in by him.
McMaster says the new space has been positive for both his creativity, and his business.
Its easier to make stuff when its not piling up around me in a room in my basement. I get the chance to talk about it, and have people see it. I can judge peoples reactions more Im not just hoping and wondering if people like my art. Im actually interacting with people, he said.
It makes the decision making process a lot easier. Ive gotten a lot more sales and opportunities having a physical location. With art when you see it online thats one thing but when you see it in person its another. A lot of people like having a physical store rather than buying random stuff off the internet.
He originally intended Cinder and Sea to be only a gallery space. Prior to the pandemic, McMaster tattooed at Electric Umbrella in Nanaimo. When public health orders took effect, the shop had to close temporarily, which left McMaster and his co-workers left without a job. When restrictions were lifted and tattoo shops could operate again, McMaster opted to combine his passions at Cinder and Sea.
Its kind of half in between, which is what I like about it now.
Although McMasters tattoo practice is frequently booked with clients, he has noticed a steep decline in foot traffic to his gallery. He estimates that foot traffic in downtown Chemainus declined 95 percent during the early months of the pandemic, and has only returned to about 35 percent of normal.
Since McMaster opened his doors in fall 2019, he did not have the one year of business history required to apply for government aid programs. McMaster did qualify for CERB, but it was quickly consumed through rent payments for Cinder and Sea and his home in Ladysmith.
Now that he can safely tattoo clients, his business is getting back on track.
Im still making an income but its not what it should be, and what it should be isnt provable, he said.
Despite the challenges of COVID, Chemainus has proven to be a good fit for McMaster, and hes hoping to remain in the community well into the future.
I want to be part of the community Ive got the ability and the skill now to help people out. If Im doing well and the shops doing well, then I can be free to do more around town.
In the new year, McMaster plans to host a pair of art classes in Chemainus. One will teach landscape painting, and the other will teach imaginative wildlife drawing.
In the meantime, McMaster welcomes anyone who wants to talk about art or tattooing to visit his shop. Cinder and Sea is open 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 9748 Willow Street in Chemainus.
For more news from Vancouver Island and beyond delivered daily into your inbox, please click here.
- Music, beer, art and tattoos: Casa Tigre has already opened in Lisbon The Courier - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- Billie Eilish Tattoos: Guide to Ink Designs and Their Meanings - J-14 - May 8th, 2021
- Everything Joe Jonas Has Said About Being a Dad to Daughter With Sophie - J-14 - May 8th, 2021
- Moda Center welcomes Blazers fans for first time in over a year - OPB News - May 8th, 2021
- Star Wars Gaming Greats, The Bad Batch Lead Hasbros May 4th Reveals - Superherohype.com - May 8th, 2021
- Coming to The MAX 'Bloodlines' Painting legacy lives on through the art of tattoos - Meridian Star - March 9th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston Finally Revealed the Meaning Behind Her Tattoo - Yahoo Entertainment - March 9th, 2021
- Intl Critics Line: Todd McCarthy On Tunisias Oscar-Shortlisted The Man Who Sold His Skin - Deadline - March 9th, 2021
- How the pandemic has impacted how we see the arts - About Manchester - March 9th, 2021
- You can shop at California museums but you can't see the art - Los Angeles Times - February 13th, 2021
- Markers of place and connection - St. Albert Today - February 13th, 2021
- 35 All Red Tattoos - INKED - February 13th, 2021
- Couple who had whirlwind romance as Edinburgh Tattoo performers set to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary - Edinburgh News - February 13th, 2021
- Artist looks to London exhibit - The National - February 13th, 2021
- TI and Tiny's reality show halted amid sexual abuse claims, more news | Gallery - Wonderwall - February 6th, 2021
- How To Curate The Perfect Personal Art Collection For Your Home - Boss Hunting - February 5th, 2021
- Mr. Wash prison painting finds a home at the Hammer Museum - Los Angeles Times - January 27th, 2021
- These Tattoos are Super Weird - INKED - January 27th, 2021
- 'Our Diversity Is Our Strength' | Oregon ArtsWatch - Oregon ArtsWatch - January 27th, 2021
- 25 Things We Love About Santa Fe Right Now - Santa Fe Reporter - January 27th, 2021
- Five questions with Tony Henson, a painter and educator - Johnson City Press (subscription) - January 24th, 2021
- The Top-10 most read, watched Jersey Shore Covid stories : #2 - wobm.com - December 31st, 2020
- 14 clever COVID-19 design solutions from around the world - Los Angeles Times - December 31st, 2020
- Ups and downs of business in Revelstoke in 2020 - Revelstoke Review - December 31st, 2020
- These Ann Arbor-area businesses opened in 2020, despite COVID-19 challenges - MLive.com - December 25th, 2020
- Brookline artist Sam Fish wants to shake up the local art scene - Wicked Local - December 25th, 2020
- Best In Show(room): Mattress Macks Runhappy And Chester The Affenpinscher - US Racing - December 23rd, 2020
- Lily Goldberg - The Williams record - December 23rd, 2020
- Amazing Tattoo Gallery - Find Tattoo Design - December 18th, 2020
- Tattoo pictures, tattoo design art, flash tattoo, body tattoo - December 18th, 2020
- LAAMS Wants to Be Warhols Factory for This Generation - Curbed - December 18th, 2020
- 2020 Best of the Beat Forsyth County Edition: Tattoo Archive - Triad City Beat - December 18th, 2020
- The origins of tattooing - St. Albert TODAY - December 7th, 2020
- Three to See Friday: Indigenous tattoo art, competitive Kyle Beal and a virtual Queen on screen - Edmonton Journal - December 6th, 2020
- Newport City Council will host their next regular meeting on December 9, here's what's on the agenda - What'sUpNewp - December 3rd, 2020
- Is Chris Nez Married? Who is Chris Nez's Wife? Does He Have Kids? - The Cinemaholic - December 3rd, 2020
- Best of Cleveland: Arts & Entertainment 2020 | Arts & Entertainment - Cleveland Scene - December 3rd, 2020
- 10 She-Ra Tattoos That Show Off The Power Of Greyskull | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 28th, 2020
- Once Upon a Time There Were 15 Magical Tattoos - INKED - November 25th, 2020
- Norfolk police arrest woman in connection to killing on Granby Street; man wanted for murder - 13newsnow.com WVEC - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 Festive Thanksgiving Tattoos - INKED - November 23rd, 2020
- There's so much more than shopping to enjoy at Miracle Mile Shops in Las Vegas - Lasvegasmagazine - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 'The Godfather' Tattoos You Can't Refuse - INKED - November 21st, 2020
- 55 Impressive 'Looney Tunes' Tattoos - INKED - November 21st, 2020
- Best Bets: Highlights of this weekend's local entertainment calendar for Nov. 20, 2020 - Ocala - November 21st, 2020
- Discover Your Destiny with Tarot Card Tattoos - INKED - November 16th, 2020
- Laurel teen endured multiple surgeries. Then his wish came true. - Hattiesburg American - November 16th, 2020
- JoCo's latest pandemic health order is now in effect Here are the key details - Shawnee Mission Post - November 16th, 2020
- An Inked Guide to Symbolism Within Japanese Tattoos - INKED - November 10th, 2020
- David Beckham's Son Brooklyn Is the Latest Celebrity Kid to Reveal a Face Tattoo - Yahoo Entertainment - November 8th, 2020
- Brooklyn, son of David Beckham, is the latest popular child to reveal a face tattoo - DodoFinance - November 4th, 2020
- First stand-alone tattoo parlor to open in Arlington Heights - Chicago Daily Herald - November 4th, 2020
- UT Art Professor Takes Experimental Passion to Another Level - Minaret - November 4th, 2020
- One Year Later: Remembering The Downtown Sinkhole That Swallowed A Port Authority Bus - CBS Pittsburgh - October 30th, 2020
- Fashion hits and misses from the 2020 CMT Music Awards | Gallery - Wonderwall - October 22nd, 2020
- The Moms Guide to Marfa - SheKnows - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoos through British history on display at Carlisle's Tullie House in conjunction with National Maritime Museum Cornwall - NW Evening Mail - October 19th, 2020
- The Winners Of The 2020 Readers' Choice Awards - Louisville Eccentric Observer - October 19th, 2020
- Hunter S. Thompson legacy lives on in Aspen; new 'Freak Power' film follows 1970 campaign for sheriff - Aspen Daily News - October 17th, 2020
- These Werewolf Tattoos Will Make You Howl at the Moon - INKED - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Real Life Princess Peach Tattoos That Are Adorable | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 14th, 2020
- Before They Were Tatted: 10 Rockers Before + After Their Tattoos - Loudwire - October 14th, 2020
- Backstage artists find a spotlight helping to keep theaters and themselves afloat during pandemic - STLtoday.com - September 25th, 2020
- Are you one of the people getting a tattoo in Sheffield over the last 25 years in our retro gallery? - Derbyshire Times - September 23rd, 2020
- How Did The Queen React to Her Punk Portrait? - Al-Bawaba - September 22nd, 2020
- 9/23 scenes and screens - The Rice Thresher - September 22nd, 2020
- The Queen asks artist to change his punk portrait of her because she didnt like the neck tattoo - The Sun - September 22nd, 2020
- The Broken Hearts Gallery Stars Talk Grand Romantic Gestures, Karaoke, and Modern Romance - POPSUGAR - September 12th, 2020
- Several industries open next week without "limited capacity" defined - Mission Local - September 12th, 2020
- Justin Bieber & His Wife Hailey Sure Love to Eat Sushi! - Just Jared Jr. - September 12th, 2020
- Slowly, and responsibly, returning to the South End gallery scene - The Boston Globe - September 11th, 2020
- Talking Tattoos campaign to shed light on the vibrant tattoo culture in Cumbria - Cumbria Crack - September 1st, 2020
- 7 Tattoo Gallery | Newark (Ironbound) Tattoo Shop - September 1st, 2020
- I Love Trying to Make the Viewer Self-Conscious: How Rising Star Jenna Gribbon Paints the Feelings of Seeing and Being Seen - artnet News - September 1st, 2020
- Art Is Hope: Why Zadig & Voltaire is Collaborating with Emerging Creatives - Daily Front Row - August 28th, 2020
- Say a Prayer and Get a Sacred Heart Tattoo - INKED - August 28th, 2020
- Great Outfits in Fashion History (Beauty Edition): A Butterfly-Covered Billy Porter at the Critics' Choice Awards - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 25th, 2020
- World Tattoo Gallery | Tattoo website with Best Tattoos - August 24th, 2020
- Tattoos,Piercings, 100% Disposable, Tattoo Removal,Custom ... - August 24th, 2020
- Photo Diary: Two Days at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in the Midst of a Pandemic - Consequence of Sound - August 20th, 2020