In 1929, "Looney Tunes" conceived by Warner Bros. to compete against Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse cartoons and to promote their music. Throughout the long running series, as well as the sister cartoon "Merrie Melodies," Warner Bros. gave audiences some of the most beloved cartoon characters of all timeincluding Bugs Bunny, Marvin the Martian and Daffy Duck. Today, many children continue to watch these cartoons and many adults have grown up with them. Take a look at some of our favorite "Looney Tunes" tattoos inspired by some of the most popular characters in the gallery below and let us know your favorite cartoon from this franchise in the comments section on social media.
Tattoo by A.D. Pancho
Bugs Bunny is one of the most celebrated characters in the "Looney Tunes" cartoon franchise. He was first introduced in 1940 through the short film "The Wild Hare" and was originally voiced by actor Mel Blanc. Between 1940 and 1964, Bugs was depicted in over 160 cartoons and today, he's appeared in more films that any other cartoon character.
Catchphrase: "What's up Doc?"
Daffy Duck first appeared in 1937's "Porky's Duck Hunt" and since then, has become one of the most famous cartoon characters in film history. He's regarded as one of the first screwball characters to come out of this era of cartoons and like Bugs Bunny, he was originally voiced by Mel Blanc.
Catchphrase: "Youuu're deththpicable!"
Another popular cartoon bird within the "Looney Tunes" franchise is Tweety, a yellow canary that first appeared in 1942's "A Tale of Two Kitties." Although Tweety's gender is male, the ambiguity is played with throughout the series, as Tweety was generally marketed toward girls.
Catchphrase: "I tawt I taw a puddy tat."
Porky Pig was first introduced to audiences in 1935 through the cartoon "I Haven't Got a Hat," as part of the "Merrie Melodies" series. Porky Pig is best known for his signature stutter and at the end of many of the show's shorts, he says "Th-th-th-that's all folks!"
Catchphrase: "Th-th-th-that's all folks!"
One of the few humans depicted prominently throughout the "Looney Tunes" franchise, Yosemite Sam was officially introduced in 1945's "Hare Trigger" cartoon. He's depicted as a cowboy/prospector who's known in the series as being an aggressive gunslinger who despises rabbitsparticularly Bugs Bunny.
Catchphrase: "I'm the meanest, roughest, toughest hombre that's ever crossed the Rio Grande - and I ain't o namby-bamby!"
Elmer Fudd was one of the earliest created characters in the franchise, making his official debut in 1940's "Elmer's Candid Camera." He was originally marketed as Egghead and became known as the main antagonist of Bugs Bunny, aiming to hunt rabbits throughout the series.
Catchphrase: "Shhh. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits."
First introduced in 1939's "Naughty but Mice," Sylvester is recognized as chasing around characters like Tweety and Speedy Gonzales. Three cartoons featuring Sylvester went on to win three Academy Awards, the most of any other "Looney Tunes" character. His official full name is Sylvester James Pussycat Sr.
Catchphrase: "Sufferin' succotash!"
Tattoo by Pavlikov Tattoo
Foghorn Leghorn was first introduced in the 1946 cartoon "Walky Talky Hawky" and was created by animator Robert McKimson. He was inspired by a radio character named Senator Claghorn, who was played by Kenny Delmar on "The Fred Allen Show."
Catchphrase: "That's a joke, son!"
Unlike other "Looney Tunes" characters who are based on animals or humans, Marvin the Martian is an extraterrestrial. He was introduced in 1948's "Haredevil Hare" as an antagonist to Bugs Bunny and is known for his signature uniform, which takes inspiration from the Hoplite style of armor worn by Ancient Greek soldiers.
Catchphrase: "Where's the kaboom"
The Tasmanian Devil, often referred to as Taz, first appeared in 1954's "Devil May Hare." He gained larger recognition during the 1990s after appearing in his own show "Taz-Mania", becoming one of the franchise's most popular characters.
Pep Le Pew was first introduced to "Looney Tunes" during 1945, through the cartoon "Odar-able Kitty." Throughout the franchise, Le Pew is known as a French skunk in constant romantic pursuit of a black and white cat named Penelope Pussycat.
Catchphrase: "Permit me to introduce myself. I am Pep Le Pew, your lover."
Tattoo by Michela Bottin
Officially introduced in 1955's "Speedy Gonzales," this cartoon character was known as The Fastest Mouse in Mexico. Speedy Gonzales is known for his impressive speed (which he uses to evade Sylvester), as well as his exaggerated Mexican accent.
Catchphrase: arriba, arriba andale, andale
First introduced in the 1949 cartoon "Fast and Furry-ous," Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner are "Looney Tune's" most recognizable duo. In most cartoons, the Coyote attempts to catch and eat the Road Runner, who's a fast-running ground bird.
Catchphrase: "Beep Beep!"
The rest is here:
- Newport City Council will host their next regular meeting on December 9, here's what's on the agenda - What'sUpNewp - December 3rd, 2020
- Is Chris Nez Married? Who is Chris Nez's Wife? Does He Have Kids? - The Cinemaholic - December 3rd, 2020
- Best of Cleveland: Arts & Entertainment 2020 | Arts & Entertainment - Cleveland Scene - December 3rd, 2020
- 10 She-Ra Tattoos That Show Off The Power Of Greyskull | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 28th, 2020
- Once Upon a Time There Were 15 Magical Tattoos - INKED - November 25th, 2020
- Norfolk police arrest woman in connection to killing on Granby Street; man wanted for murder - 13newsnow.com WVEC - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 Festive Thanksgiving Tattoos - INKED - November 23rd, 2020
- There's so much more than shopping to enjoy at Miracle Mile Shops in Las Vegas - Lasvegasmagazine - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 'The Godfather' Tattoos You Can't Refuse - INKED - November 21st, 2020
- Best Bets: Highlights of this weekend's local entertainment calendar for Nov. 20, 2020 - Ocala - November 21st, 2020
- Nick McMaster combines his passions for tattoos and art at Cinder and Sea - Monday Mag - November 21st, 2020
- Discover Your Destiny with Tarot Card Tattoos - INKED - November 16th, 2020
- Laurel teen endured multiple surgeries. Then his wish came true. - Hattiesburg American - November 16th, 2020
- JoCo's latest pandemic health order is now in effect Here are the key details - Shawnee Mission Post - November 16th, 2020
- An Inked Guide to Symbolism Within Japanese Tattoos - INKED - November 10th, 2020
- David Beckham's Son Brooklyn Is the Latest Celebrity Kid to Reveal a Face Tattoo - Yahoo Entertainment - November 8th, 2020
- Brooklyn, son of David Beckham, is the latest popular child to reveal a face tattoo - DodoFinance - November 4th, 2020
- First stand-alone tattoo parlor to open in Arlington Heights - Chicago Daily Herald - November 4th, 2020
- UT Art Professor Takes Experimental Passion to Another Level - Minaret - November 4th, 2020
- One Year Later: Remembering The Downtown Sinkhole That Swallowed A Port Authority Bus - CBS Pittsburgh - October 30th, 2020
- Fashion hits and misses from the 2020 CMT Music Awards | Gallery - Wonderwall - October 22nd, 2020
- The Moms Guide to Marfa - SheKnows - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoos through British history on display at Carlisle's Tullie House in conjunction with National Maritime Museum Cornwall - NW Evening Mail - October 19th, 2020
- The Winners Of The 2020 Readers' Choice Awards - Louisville Eccentric Observer - October 19th, 2020
- Hunter S. Thompson legacy lives on in Aspen; new 'Freak Power' film follows 1970 campaign for sheriff - Aspen Daily News - October 17th, 2020
- These Werewolf Tattoos Will Make You Howl at the Moon - INKED - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Real Life Princess Peach Tattoos That Are Adorable | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 14th, 2020
- Before They Were Tatted: 10 Rockers Before + After Their Tattoos - Loudwire - October 14th, 2020
- Backstage artists find a spotlight helping to keep theaters and themselves afloat during pandemic - STLtoday.com - September 25th, 2020
- Are you one of the people getting a tattoo in Sheffield over the last 25 years in our retro gallery? - Derbyshire Times - September 23rd, 2020
- How Did The Queen React to Her Punk Portrait? - Al-Bawaba - September 22nd, 2020
- 9/23 scenes and screens - The Rice Thresher - September 22nd, 2020
- The Queen asks artist to change his punk portrait of her because she didnt like the neck tattoo - The Sun - September 22nd, 2020
- The Broken Hearts Gallery Stars Talk Grand Romantic Gestures, Karaoke, and Modern Romance - POPSUGAR - September 12th, 2020
- Several industries open next week without "limited capacity" defined - Mission Local - September 12th, 2020
- Justin Bieber & His Wife Hailey Sure Love to Eat Sushi! - Just Jared Jr. - September 12th, 2020
- Slowly, and responsibly, returning to the South End gallery scene - The Boston Globe - September 11th, 2020
- Talking Tattoos campaign to shed light on the vibrant tattoo culture in Cumbria - Cumbria Crack - September 1st, 2020
- 7 Tattoo Gallery | Newark (Ironbound) Tattoo Shop - September 1st, 2020
- I Love Trying to Make the Viewer Self-Conscious: How Rising Star Jenna Gribbon Paints the Feelings of Seeing and Being Seen - artnet News - September 1st, 2020
- Art Is Hope: Why Zadig & Voltaire is Collaborating with Emerging Creatives - Daily Front Row - August 28th, 2020
- Say a Prayer and Get a Sacred Heart Tattoo - INKED - August 28th, 2020
- Great Outfits in Fashion History (Beauty Edition): A Butterfly-Covered Billy Porter at the Critics' Choice Awards - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 25th, 2020
- World Tattoo Gallery | Tattoo website with Best Tattoos - August 24th, 2020
- Tattoos,Piercings, 100% Disposable, Tattoo Removal,Custom ... - August 24th, 2020
- Photo Diary: Two Days at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in the Midst of a Pandemic - Consequence of Sound - August 20th, 2020
- Sarah Boris on how the pandemic has changed her life, and why we all need to take a step back from work - Creative Boom - August 19th, 2020
- Long Beach tattoo studio reopens in protest of governor's closures the Hi-lo - Long Beach Post - August 19th, 2020
- Kendall Jenner Has 2 Tattoos She Loves, but 1 She Regrets Here's What They Mean - POPSUGAR - August 17th, 2020
- These Tattoos are Worth the Climb - INKED - August 12th, 2020
- Rethinking the art of Oceania - Apollo Magazine - August 12th, 2020
- Beauty Salons, Tattoo Parlours and Spas to Reopen from 13th July - Gizmodo UK - July 15th, 2020
- 40+ Actors Who Got Tattoos for Movies and TV Shows - INKED - July 15th, 2020
- Tattoo pictures gallery, tattoos images and photos ... - September 13th, 2019
- Tattoo Designs Gallery of Artwork and Videos | Custom ... - September 13th, 2019
- Best tattoo designs and ideas, tattoos for men and women - September 13th, 2019