This is an incredible, intimate exhibition that is less about war and conflict, and more about empathy and the human spirit. Beautiful photographs and oral histories that surprise in their capacity to share.
As a pacifist, it seemed a rather odd decision to take myself off to the Australian War Memorial (AWM) to review an exhibition, but I have to say, it has been one of the best post-COVID experiences I've had.
The message of hope and empathy was not one I expected. And the commitment of gallery staff and invigilators to ensure it was a safe, welcoming and personal experience, was not lost on this misguided cynic who expected only gloom of an institution that commemorates war.
The lesson learnt: remembering is also about community, pride, service, self-worth and yes, a dose of joy.
It was an exhibition titled Ink in the Lines that caught my attention a look at tattoos in the Australian Military. Elegantly presented in a darkened gallery with black walls and dramatic pin lighting, the viewer moves through an incredible journey of personal stories. It is totally captivating.
As the gallery reminds: Tattoos are a conversation starter.
Installation view Ink in the Lines, Australian War Memorial. Photo Artshub.
We talk a lot about the role of storytelling in museums, and the kinds of intersections between technology, oral histories, objects and heck, even old dioramas. But there have been great leaps in 21st C museum models, and we are finally starting to see that balance is right.
The exhibition is the culmination of The Memorial Tattoo Project, which documented the stories of servicemen and servicewomen through oral history interviews and portrait photography throughout 2019.
It is loosely divided into four thematic zone: Loss, Grief & Commemoration; Healing; Mateship & Family, and Identity & Belonging. It is less about organising material on display, and works more as a trigger for viewer consideration.
Read: Exhibition Review: Know My Name, National Gallery of Australia
These are incredibly candid accounts; these service men and women literally pop off the walls with an intensity and an intimacy that stops you in your tracks. And while there is a voyeuristic, luscious eye candy quality to the tattoos themselves and worthy of the label art there is nothing ghoulish about this run of images.
After all, being tattooed in itself is an incredibly intimate experience, and in an uncanny way, the staging of this exhibition matches well that act of marking your body.
Kevin. Video detail. Ink in the Lines, Australian War Memorial. Photo Artshub.
Most people get a tattoo for a game of footy. We get a tattoo to remember, and commemorate, our service, our mates, our careers the blokes we serve with. Still serving, says Kevin.
Many talked about their struggle with PTSD and mental health. Others talked about allegiance to a unit a family, a regiment. One service woman reminds, Mothers are soldiers too.
Overall and holding this exhibition together at its foundations is an expression of pride. These are not only records of experiences, but symbols of self and mantras to move forward an essential part of the healing process.
Video detail. Ink in the Lines, Australian War Memorial. Photo Artshub.
Another said: Yeah, tattooing took on a whole new thing. I mean, I was it almost became therapy, if that makes sense.
What we walk away with is this idea that these tattoos are an affirmation for these service people, in a world where so many things are untethered, traumatic or couched in forgetting. Their bodies have become personal diaries that are a consolidation, compressing time.
Everything has been thought through meticulously, whether it be online or in person. There is also the invitation for audiences to share their ink on social using #InkintheLines. AWM has also produced a podcast episode in conversation with curator Stephanie Boyle,tattoo artist Peterand service person Louise Maher; and made available the video oral histories from the exhibition online. To view.
Thinking back on Ink in the Lines, this exhibition becomes less and less about war or art, and is just about co-existing in this empathetic place between things. I was totally surprised by my reaction.
5 stars out of 5
Ink in the LinesAustralian War Memorial, CanberraMemorial Tattoo Project25 September 2020 27 January 2021Free
Here is the original post:
- Military becomes more tolerant of tattoos, obesity - The Korea Herald - December 3rd, 2020
- Mike Tyson Mao tattoo: what does it mean and why did he get it? - AS English - December 3rd, 2020
- David Fincher's Defiant Women in Gone Girl, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Collider.com - December 3rd, 2020
- This female tattoo artist from Afghanistan is breaking stereotypes with her creations - Times Now - December 3rd, 2020
- In Asia, 3 Jewelry Brands Reflect the Times - The New York Times - December 3rd, 2020
- When Professionalism Doesnt Look the Same to Everyone - Florence Health - December 3rd, 2020
- Keep Your Eye On These Young Designers From Around the World - W Magazine - December 3rd, 2020
- Worker woke to find word 'nonce' tattooed on forehead as two arrested for GBH - Mirror.co.uk - November 28th, 2020
- This Side of the Pond - Sundancetimes - November 28th, 2020
- The tattooist who breaks taboos and challenges conservative Afghan society - Inspired Traveler - November 27th, 2020
- Bev Callard's wild marriage to 'megash*g' husband Jon - tattoos and 22 bridesmaids - Mirror Online - November 27th, 2020
- Tatted Toy Guys turn hobby of collecting toys into Elizabethtown business - LancasterOnline - November 26th, 2020
- The Undertaker Tells Story Of Getting His First Tattoo And Naturally The Tale Involves The Hells Angels And The Ultimate Warrior - BroBible - November 26th, 2020
- Dot compensation: how thousands of tiny tattoos can help disguise the bald truth - Sydney Morning Herald - November 26th, 2020
- Western News - The Western News - November 26th, 2020
- Megan Fox Reveals New Tattoo At The AMAs. Here's What It Means - The List - November 23rd, 2020
- Police: Witness followed Windsor robbery suspects, leading to arrests - Journal Inquirer - November 23rd, 2020
- A Picture and its Story 2020: Part two - The Wider Image - November 23rd, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Woman walked around with horror burns - Gympie Times - November 23rd, 2020
- Does AJ Pritchard have tattoos? What about the other Im A Celebrity stars? - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - November 21st, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - The Bakersfield Californian - November 21st, 2020
- Longer Looks: Interesting Reads You Might Have Missed - Kaiser Health News - November 21st, 2020
- Mysteries of Dolly Parton uncovered - secret tattoos and rarely-seen husband - Mirror Online - November 20th, 2020
- Tim Blanks' Top Fashion Shows of All-Time: Kim Jones Autumn/Winter 2005 - The Business of Fashion - November 20th, 2020
- Craig Hlavaty: Why you should give the gift of blood for the holidays - Houston Chronicle - November 20th, 2020
- Police warning to dog owners after suspected attempted dog thefts - Cornwall Live - November 20th, 2020
- Ukraine: Armed Groups' Arbitrary Pandemic Restrictions - Human Rights Watch - November 20th, 2020
- Scotland fan gets tattoo of famous Serbia result on upper thigh to celebrate reaching Euro 2020 - The Scottish Sun - November 20th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City Premiere Recap: Good Time Girls - Vulture - November 12th, 2020
- How about TAT! Women make up 70 percent of all tattoos in Poland - The First News - November 10th, 2020
- Heres What The Leaked Application For The Bachelor Looks Like - TheThings - November 10th, 2020
- These are the most wanted men by police in Norfolk in November 2020 - Eastern Daily Press - November 10th, 2020
- Check Out Nick Cannon's Muscular Body with Tattoos as He Shows It off during a Workout (Photo) - AmoMama - November 8th, 2020
- Have you seen them? They're accused of fatally shooting a man in the head - KHOU.com - November 8th, 2020
- These are the most wanted men by police in Norfolk in November 2020 - Thetford & Brandon Times - November 8th, 2020
- Part of a cultural encounter: Travel and its complicated history with tattooing - The Independent - November 8th, 2020
- And Now You Know: My story of meeting the Atakapas - Orange Leader - Orange Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Suns Deandre Ayton confuses the hell out of the internet with new tattoo - ClutchPoints - November 5th, 2020
- The Mystery Behind the Tattoos of Seth Rollins - EssentiallySports - November 5th, 2020
- Body modification addict gets pair of tusks - yes tusks - to go with tattooed eyeballs and split tongue - DubaiLAD - November 5th, 2020
- Tucson Salvage: A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- Irezumi, the art of japanese Tattoo | Galerie &CO119 - Artsy - November 4th, 2020
- In an election season with new highs and lows, some campaign trick standouts - The Ledger - November 4th, 2020
- A Florida Demographic That Could Swing the Election - The New Yorker - November 3rd, 2020
- This Auburn cop killed 3 and injured others. His department didn't stop him outsiders did - KUOW News and Information - October 31st, 2020
- Dallas Man Arrested, Accused of Selling 19-Year-Old as Sex Slave to South Carolina Man - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - October 31st, 2020
- Lee Mack show The Chop cancelled after Nazi tattoos on contestants face could be connected to far-right id - The Sun - October 31st, 2020
- These arm tattoos will suit the arms, so you are thinking of getting an idea from here - Pledge Times - October 30th, 2020
- Growing tribe of Japanese proudly defies tattoo taboo, eyes Olympics boost - Yahoo! Voices - October 30th, 2020
- 'Taish' Is About Angry Young Men And Where Have We Seen That Before? - HuffPost India - October 30th, 2020
- Dallas man sold 19-year-old as sex slave to South Carolinian who wanted to brand her, feds allege - The Dallas Morning News - October 30th, 2020
- Help find 10 of South Yorkshire's most wanted men - Yorkshire Live - October 30th, 2020
- Getting Inked can impair sweating, make body to overheat - The Statesman - October 25th, 2020
- Deepdive: This is why #endsars trended this week - Mumbai Mirror - October 25th, 2020
- Male rappers are more than their music The Vermont Cynic - Vermont Cynic - October 24th, 2020
- Victor Ray Cruz Wanted to Turn His Life Around Then He Got the Coronavirus - Voice of San Diego - October 22nd, 2020
- Donations of blood wanted by hospital | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - October 22nd, 2020
- The 40 Best Tattoo Ideas for Men Who Love Ink - menshealth.com - October 21st, 2020
- Women in Bhopal are getting tattoos of Goddess Durga to signify women empowerment - Free Press Journal - October 21st, 2020
- On Suits and Face Tattoos: The Black Community's Obsession with Respectability - The Southern Digest - October 21st, 2020
- Does Zac Efron Have Any Tattoos? The Answer Is Surprisingly Complicated - POPSUGAR - October 21st, 2020
- Dr. Dre and His Son Get Matching Tattoos - Rap-Up.com - October 21st, 2020
- I confronted my daughter's boyfriend but I was really confronting myself - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- 25 Carefree Bird Tattoos for Men in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 17th, 2020
- Three men with Canada wide warrants believed to be in Prince George area - My PG Now - October 17th, 2020
- Watch Brazen Burglars Steal Armloads of Laptops from Clovis Store. Police Seek Help to ID Them. - gvwire.com - October 17th, 2020
- Man believed to have Denham Springs ties wanted by Baton Rouge police for recent jewelry store theft - The Livingston Parish News - October 17th, 2020
- John Mayer's Royal Oak is the ultimate in low-key luxury - British GQ - October 17th, 2020
- TSR We Global: Members Of The ARISE News Crew Allege They Were Beaten By Authorities & Cameras Were Confiscated During An #EndSARS Protest... - October 14th, 2020
- Lifeblood say they can't bring in blood donation reforms earlier than 2021 - OUTinPerth - October 14th, 2020
- 10 of the best tattoos in the UFC (Photos) - FanSided - October 10th, 2020
- The art, meaning behind student tattoos | The Chimes - The Chimes - October 10th, 2020
- Proud Boys Rally Possibly Planned For Dolores Park (But Don't Assume These Jokers Are That Organized) - SFist - October 9th, 2020
- This Worcester beauty studio is on a mission to help breast cancer survivors move forward in recovery with a - MassLive.com - October 9th, 2020
- ACLU of Massachusetts will represent Bena Apreala, man stopped by unmarked officers while jogging in West Rox - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- Boston leaders demand answers after Black man is stopped by ICE while jogging in West Roxbury - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- This former Rutgers star could have been shot by cops. Now he wants to become one. - NJ.com - October 8th, 2020
- Keeping His Eye on the Movement - INKED - October 8th, 2020
- ACLU Represents West Roxbury Man Stopped By ICE While Jogging - iHeartRadio - October 8th, 2020