Ailed Duarte is co-founder of La Marca studio, which has helped bring tattoo art, once illegal throughout Cuba, into the mainstream.
Ailed Duarte is co-founder of La Marca studio, which has helped bring tattoo art, once illegal throughout Cuba, into the mainstream. She and host Nathan Thornburgh talked at Fbrica de Arte Cubano at the first-ever international tattoo convention in Havana about the robust art and precarious commerce of Cuban tattooing.
This is an edited and condensed transcript from my conversation with Ailed. You can listen to the full episode, for free, on Stitcher,Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Thornburgh: Tell me about this big event. Whats going on here?
Ailed Duarte: Well, this is the first event of its kind in Cuba, on tattoos. A lot of tattoo artists have done exhibitions. But for this, so many artists from all over the country have come, some have been invited from Mexico, from the United States, and are showing things other than tattoosthis is the first time.
Thornburgh: So this is the first major tattoo convention?
Duarte: Yeah, we think so. But were trying to show it as a body art exhibition, not just tattoos, because there are piercings, hair-styling, and Afro fashion, and soaps and some oils for the skineverything around the skin and body art.
Thornburgh: Well, and this is the reason that were here in Cuba this week, because Michael Magers, whos got an exhibition of Japanese tattoo photography here at Fbrica de Arte Cuba, was explaining it to me. And when he said, first tattoo convention of its kind in Cuba, I realized it was a big deal, because tattooing has been very political here. This has not been an accepted art form. So tell me, whats the short history of tattooing in Cuba that we should know?
Duarte: Well, I think that in Cuba, like in many other countries, tattoos were not well-regarded, not accepted, because they were associated with prisonsat first.
Thornburgh: So in that Japanese style? Its got an association with criminality.
Duarte: Yes, the same. People that were in jail had tattoos, tattoos about their mothers, or love, that kind of message. And after that, tourists came to Cuba and people started to see a lot of visitors with whole-body tattoos and styles that were different from what they had seen before.
There is no license for tattoo activities in Cuba, but we never had problems with that.
Thornburgh: What was the Cuban style? Was it simple, like you would think of as prison tattooing?
Duarte: Yes. The same as in the other countries, because the techniques and the instruments and the supplies they had to hand werent good. So it was mostly names and simple images, or religious symbols.
From 1998, a group of artists joined the association of young artists here in Cuba and started to create tattoos as artistic expressions. And we worked on that and made a lot of small exhibitions. But that association is for artists under 35 years old. So, when these first artists reached the age of 35, they had to leave the association, and there isnt another artists association that accepts them.
Thornburgh: So theres an age limit?
Duarte: Yes, because its a young artists association. Youre supposed to belong to another association of artists before that, and after that.
Thornburgh: So theres no old tattoo artists association?
Thornburgh: When did you get involved? Was it around that time or later?
Duarte: Im not a tattoo artist. Im married to [Leo Canosa], one of the old tattoo artists.
Thornburgh: Thats how La Marca got started?
Duarte: Yes. My husband had been tattooing for 25 years, in his house. The other artists here in Cuba, they work in their own places, small places, trying to have all the health requirements they do in other countries, but without a license. They have to be conscious about that, about the responsibility that their work has. And five years agowe were always dreaming about having a first tattoo shop, with all the artists involved, and have it be a gallery, and to have exhibitions and activities around tattoo artistswe bought a place.
Thornburgh: So you own your own store, and you bought that five years ago?
Duarte: Yes. Its in Old Havana.
Thornburgh: So five years ago, its kind of late to be opening the first tattoo shop. You say its like other countries, but this is later than a place like Mexico?
Duarte: Yeah, because you need to be braveto buy a place and burn some money to convert to housing and building a tattoo shop, with all the necessary health requirements. You need to be prepared for all that, and its a risk, because nothing is certain.
Thornburgh: Yeah, its a different entrepreneurial climate here in Cuba. With your husband, and its true with other tattoo artists, theres a political dimension, right? Hes been at odds with the government here at times as you know, as many of my closest friends in Cuba are from time to time. How do you balance the politics with the business of running a successful shop?
Duarte: Well, there is no license for tattoo activities in Cuba, but we never had problems around that. So we think that we are not doing anything wrong. We are doing our job right, and we try to do it as right as we can. And if we do that, we think we wont have any problem with our activities. And someday, they will recognize the importance of what were doing. Maybe eventually we will have a license and some recognition around that. But these kinds of activities [the convention] we think are really important too, for the tattoo movement.
Thornburgh: Right. So this is a big week for you to be able to show, Listen, there are international people, theres attention, there are dollars coming in. Youre part of a global movement and have that connectivity. What is the licensing? Theres no kind of board for licensing what you guys do.
Duarte: No, no. But we are not [restricted]. We have social media, a lot of followers, and we put up everything we do. It is public so everyone can see what we are doing, if we have an exhibition, or if we come here to do tattoos. Everything we do, we are really transparent. So if [the authorities] dont want to recognize us But at least we dont have any problems at the moment.
Thornburgh: Right. And this is not the only activity in Cuba that is done publicly and known widely, and yet doesnt really have an official space. There seem to be a number of those kinds of activities. I remember talking to [musician] X Alfonso about the Fbrica de Arte Cubano, and how that startedalso, very much in a gray area. Its how you guys get shit done. Its just, do it, and kind of see where it goes, right?
Duarte: And for sure, a lot of people will come today and will talk about that. And they will see that we are doing something good. And that is a good way to do this kind activity here in Cuba. If we do it in an artistic way thats not just about business, it will be fine.
The first thing about La Marca is that we dont copy anything. We dont work with a reference that customers bring. We draw everything, we create everything. And that way, it will always be a Cuban tattoo style.
Thornburgh: How would you describe the style? Is there an indigenous Cuban tattoo style?
Duarte: I think that we have a lot of references from a lot of tattoo movements internationally. But if the tattoo artists do their style, what they feel, then thats a Cuban tattoo style. So the first thing about La Marca is that we dont copy anything. We dont work with a reference that the customers bring. So we draw everything, we create everything. And that way, it will always be a Cuban tattoo style. Thats what we defend.
Thornburgh: That word, to defend the Cuban style. Thats one way that should do it. Are there visual reference points? Is the color palette different?
Duarte: Yes, we use really bright colors. We do that without thinking about it, the artists are just doing what they feel.
Thornburgh: One of the things that I saw from some of the work in La Marca felt like there was almost like a brutalist style, a really muscular style of portraits that reminded me of old Soviet posters or something that you would find in the Eastern Bloc somewhere. Is there something from the Cuban propaganda styles or visual styles that influences artists?
Duarte: Oh, for sure. One of our artists is Roberto Ramos, hes our designer and does all the style that represents La Marca and our artthe design of the shop, the identity, our logoand he was certainly influenced by that style.
Thornburgh: So Roberto Ramos is somebody who youve brought into La Marca to do tattoos, but he had a designer career?
Duarte: He is a designer, and in the beginning he was a tattoo artist, and he only does stick-and-poke today. A lot of people wait to get inked by him. Hes really unique, what he does.
Thornburgh: How do you deal with one of the biggest problems I think for Cubans, which is
Duarte: The supplies.
Thornburgh: How do you get them? What are the challenges for you?
Duarte: We cant buy anything from here. We dont have a shipping system. We need to travel and buy everything and bring it here, and we cant do that in big quantities. We need to buy what we need for a short time and bring that in, because in Cuba, you cant buy anything for tattoos, or get it cheaplynothing.
Thornburgh: So its like a mule system?
Duarte: No. All our artists can travel, and many get [residencies] in tattoo shops around the world, and go to conventions that are a really good opportunity to buy good supplies, and that way, we make it work.
Thornburgh: The other issue is pricing. Cuba still has a difficult time. There are so many amazing things here, but theyre really available more to me, as a foreigner, or to the Cubans who have access to hard currency. How do you deal with pricing and making this accessible for all?
Duarte: Our prices are not cheap, because a tattoo is not a necessity. If you want a good tattoo that lasts forever, from a healthy place, that is not cheap. We cant do cheap, with all the supplies we need to bring in from elsewhere, and all the measures we have to take to ensure a good job, and to ensure the safety of the customer. There are a lot of foreigners that come and get tattoos with us, but a lot of Cubans too, because people are learning about the importance of choosing a good place, with all the conditions the artists need to do safe work.
Thornburgh: Where you would like to see tattooing go in Cuba and what do you think it can become?
Duarte: For sure, we want to see some recognition from [Cuban] cultural institutions for tattoo artist, like all other talented artists in Cuba. Cuba has always recognized good artists, and has a rich art culture, and we would like tattoos to be part of this movement, the cultural movement.
You can listen to the full episode of The Trip Podcast Episode 104 with Ailed Duarte here
Read the original post:
Ailed Duarte on the unique pressures and pleasures of tattooing in Cuba - Roads and Kingdoms
- Massive Growth of Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market by 2027 | Barber DTS (UK), Cloud Dragon (CN), SUNSKIN (IT) - The Market... - August 24th, 2021
- In a Nutshell | Piecing together the back-to-school puzzle - St. Augustine Record - August 10th, 2021
- 14 of the biggest unanswered questions from popular movies - Insider - August 10th, 2021
- Influences and Essentials: DAN LORENZO In His Own Words - OUTBURN ONLINE - Outburn - July 26th, 2021
- Fentanyl Is Wreaking Havoc in Tijuana. Is the Rest of Mexico Next? - VICE - July 26th, 2021
- Home page - American Body Art - Tattoo Supplies Online ... - July 10th, 2021
- Rat City Tat2: "On to the Next Shop" - Westside Seattle - July 10th, 2021
- A Veteran's Journey From Army to Storming the Capitol | Time - TIME - TIME - July 10th, 2021
- The MacIver Weekly Disease Brief: COVID-19 In Wisconsin - MacIverInstitute - July 10th, 2021
- Tattoo Needle Market 2021: Global Trends, Business Overview, Challenges, Opportunities Analysis and Forecast to 2027 The Manomet Current - The... - June 30th, 2021
- Camp LighterHow New, Compact Gear Makes It Easier Than Ever to Get Outdoors - The Wall Street Journal - June 30th, 2021
- Tattoo Needle Market 2021 Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth Analysis, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 30th, 2021
- I'm Sorry To Say That Bonkers Tweet About The Big Rig Driver Who Looks Like Amy Schumer Is A Joke - Jalopnik - June 13th, 2021
- Would the Real Toeflop Please Stand Up? - Texas Monthly - June 1st, 2021
- List of businesses that can operate in containment zones released - Fijivillage - May 20th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Houston - Kev's Best - February 20th, 2021
- Vintage Tattoo owner strives to keep artistry and inclusivity alive - The Reflector online - February 20th, 2021
- Blood drive on March 15th in Hicksville - The Syosset Advance - February 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Forecast in Addition to Top key players like: Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors, and... - February 20th, 2021
- Market Assessment of Tattoo Ink Industry including Top Players like Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommy's Supplies, Kuro Sumi, Millennium Colors,... - February 17th, 2021
- How River Raids work in Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Gamepur - February 17th, 2021
- Residents Encouraged To Donate Blood At Drive In Hicksville - Patch.com - February 15th, 2021
- Keep it Flowing: Combating COVID-19 Blood Shortages in Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - February 13th, 2021
- Optimistic Growth of Colored Tattoo Inks Market 2021 to High Demand NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 13th, 2021
- Halsey Doesn't Want To Go 'Overboard' On Pregnancy Cravings - OK! - February 10th, 2021
- Spray Covers Market Consumption Analysis, Business Overview and Upcoming Trends|Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply, Tommys Supplies, , , etc -... - February 8th, 2021
- Report Explained: How COVID-19 Has affected The Tattoo Market? | Survey on Future Scope by 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 8th, 2021
- Last Week in The Sentinel | Local News | sentinelsource.com - The Keene Sentinel - February 6th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 31st, 2021
- Then and Now: A look at Gardner's 'Main' menu - The Gardner News - January 31st, 2021
- All About Alev Aydin, Halsey's Boyfriend and Father of Her Child - ELLE.com - January 31st, 2021
- Still Red: Luna County lagging in response to COVID-19 "Red to Green" platform - The Deming Headlight - January 31st, 2021
- Global Tattoo Needles Market by Manufacturers, Types, Regions and Application Research Report Forecast to 2026 The Courier - The Courier - January 27th, 2021
- New Mexico Department Of Health County Map Update: Los Alamos Reaches Yellow Level; Almost Every County Improving In Health Metrics And Suppressing... - January 27th, 2021
- Remington Tattoo Parlor and Gallery Claims To Be The Best Option For Those Searching Online For "Female Tattoo Artists Near Me" In San Diego... - January 20th, 2021
- Global Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2027: Tattoo Goo, Hustle Butter, Ora's Amazing Herbal etc. - KSU | The... - January 20th, 2021
- Tattoo Market 2020 | In-Depth Study On The Current State Of The Industry And Key Insights Of The Business Scenario By 2027 - FLA News - January 15th, 2021
- The Middle East and Africa dermatology treatment devices market is expected to reach US$ 317.68 million in 2027 from US$ 217.01 million in 2019 -... - January 15th, 2021
- McDonald's J Balvin merch line has been canceled due to production challenges, following the wild success of the chain's Travis Scott collab - Markets... - January 12th, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market Business Opportunities, Survey, Growth Analysis And Industry Outlook | Intenze Tattoo Ink, Electric Ink, Tommys Supplies, Kuro Sumi... - January 3rd, 2021
- World: Positive news in the difficult year of the pandemic - PRESSENZA International News Agency - January 3rd, 2021
- 32 Counties Operating At Red Level On Department Of Health County Map Including Los Alamos County - Los Alamos Reporter - January 3rd, 2021
- Tattoo Ink Market (Europe and US) | What Recent Study Say About Top Companies - NeighborWebSJ - December 27th, 2020
- Market Size, Share and Manufacture covered Globally of Tattoo Market from 2020-2026 - The Monitor - December 27th, 2020
- Global Rotary Tattoo Machines Market 2020 Top Growing Companies Analysis and Segmentation Outlook till 2026 - The Monitor - December 19th, 2020
- Art supply drive for kids to be held Friday - KSNF/KODE - FourStatesHomepage.com - December 18th, 2020
- She was in Iraq when her son was killed. Four years later, the police have no leads. - Houston Chronicle - December 18th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 10th, 2020
- Colored Tattoo Inks Market Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application,Forecast (2020-2025) - The Courier - December 7th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 7th, 2020
- Yakuza Like A Dragon: Every Playable Character You Can Have in Your Party - TheGamer - November 30th, 2020
- TATSoul - Tattoo Supplies & Furniture - November 25th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Market 2020 Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast To 2025 - re:Jerusalem - November 20th, 2020
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla: 6 things you don't want to miss - CNET - November 20th, 2020
- Addiction Matters: How a heroin user-turned-hero saved so many others, but not himself - WWLTV.com - November 18th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- Despite pandemic, Bobby Natalini Jr. Blood Drive will continue to build supplies for Red Cross - The Times Herald - November 16th, 2020
- How Art Therapy Helped One Cancer Survivor Manage COVID-19 Lockdown - Curetoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and... - November 10th, 2020
- Governor adds new restrictions on gatherings - Government - vintontoday.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market 2026: Report Recent Trends and Growth Opportunities by Major Players Cloud Dragon (CN), Wujiang Shenli (CN), Magic Moon... - November 4th, 2020
- WHAT'S BEING PLANNED: McDonald's latest, tattoo parlour on the move and more - Swindon Advertiser - November 1st, 2020
- Incredible Generosity Makes Red Handed Tattoo in Shreveport the Nicest Place in Louisiana - Reader's Digest - November 1st, 2020
- Global Spray Covers Industry Statistics & Forecast to 2026 | Halcyon Solutions, WorldWide Tattoo Supply - re:Jerusalem - October 28th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Tattoo Machine Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra, Worldwide Tattoo Supply,... - October 24th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market by technology, solutions, application, price, demand analysis and growth opportunities to 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 24th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Tattoo Needle and Disposable Tattoo Cartridges Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study... - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market Size, Production, Consumption, Export and Import, Growth Rate and Price Analysis by Types and Applications, Forecast to 2025 -... - October 14th, 2020
- Kern County could move to next tier, how industries are preparing - KERO 23ABC News - October 14th, 2020
- Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum Partners With Kingpin Tattoo Supplies For #SupportYourArtist - BevNET.com - October 10th, 2020
- Covid-19 has resurrected the woeful tech of home printers - Wired.co.uk - October 10th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Decal Paper Market based on types and application - GroundAlerts.com - October 7th, 2020
- Cuban Tattoo Art and the Challenges Ahead - Havana Times - October 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Supplies Market 2020 |Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2026| Latest Research Report By... - September 30th, 2020
- Women tattoo artists make mark on industry in Boulder County - Longmont Times-Call - September 30th, 2020
- Global Tattoo Needle Market: 2020 Global Industry Size Share, Regional Analysis, End Users, Growth Insights, Top Key Players and Forecast To 2026 -... - September 30th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Tattoo Ink Market Analysis by Recent Trends and Growth by Region 2020| Intenze Tattoo Ink, Alla Prima, Kuro Sumi - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- Latest Research Report on Tattoo Ink Market To Exhibit Impressive Growth By 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 23rd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market research gain impetus due to the growing demand over (2020 2027) - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Ink Market Size, Type Analysis, Application Analysis, End-Use, Industry COVID-19 Impact on Analysis, Regions, Trends, Competitive Strategies... - September 22nd, 2020