Cam Bonelli, Hattiesburg American Published 5:00 a.m. CT Nov. 16, 2020 | Updated 5:00 a.m. CT Nov. 16, 2020
Laurel teen Toby Sykes, who has undergone several surgeries, had his wish granted by Make-A-Wish Mississippi Nov. 14, 2020. Hattiesburg American
Toby Sykes, 18, a senior at Northeast Jones High School in Laurel,came home from work Saturday afternoon to a wish come true.
Awaiting him was a New Orleans Saints-themed man cave made possible through the Make-A-Wish Mississippi chapterand the Magnolia Classic Cruisers car club.
"I was really excited," said Toby, who works at Little Caesar's in Laurel, of his surprise. "There are no words to describe what I'm feeling."
Toby, the son of Chris and Tommie Sykes, has two brothers, Jasper, 9, and Conner, 8, and a newborn sister, Edith. Heis looking forward to having a space to call his own and hang out with friends.
Toby Sykes, right, and brother Jasper are all smiles as they stand in front of Sykes' New Orleans Saints-themed man cave that was granted through Make-A-Wish Mississippi at his Laurel, Miss., home Saturday, Nov. 14, 2020.(Photo: Cam Bonelli/Hattiesburg American)
"The first thing I'm going to do is sleep in it," he said.
Toby was diagnosed in January 2019with familial adenomatous polyposis,arare genetic cancerous disorderthat causes colon polyps.He had more than 65 polyps in his colonand tumors in his stomach and nasal cavity. Toby underwent severalsurgeries, including a 12-hour procedure to remove the polyps,and one to removehis colon.
At one point, he dropped to 70 pounds due to stress, his mother said.
"It was a fluke that we found out about it because I took my middle child, Jasper, to the doctor," Tommie said. "When we found out the family history for Jasper, she ordered tests for all of the brothers and found the polyps."
Tommie said it's been a difficult journey. But, she added, "it's gotten better, especially now that he's gotten over his surgeries and ileostomiesbecause he's been in and out of the hospital so much."
She noted how happy she was this summer when her son was able to go swimming.
"I was just so elated he was able to take his shirt off and enjoy himself swimming with all of the scars he had," she said. "I joked with him that he should get a tattoo of a zipper.
"I'm just so happy that it's over with and he can build his weight up," she added. "I'm so glad he can go back to school now and enjoy his senior year."
(Story continues after photo gallery.)
Originally, Toby's wish was for a trip to Scotland, an adventure to share with his family. The coronavirus pandemic, however, meant a change of plans, said Janet Blouin withMake-A-Wish.
Instead, aman cave for the Saints fan "worked out really well for him," Blouin said. "Not only is Toby a decade older than his other siblings, but his mom just had a baby less than one month old. It's nice for him to have his own space and get away and be a teenager."
Blouin said the Magnolia Classic Cruisers helped tremendously by setting up the man cave, sponsoring the wish and putting it all together.
"The whole goal of all of this is to bring hope, strength and joy to children with life-altering illnesses," Blouin said.
Toby said he's thankful for those who worked to make his wish come true, as well as his family and friends.
"You're going to have some down times and some up times, but you've got to have some people to support you," he said.
Contact Cam Bonelliat firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her onTwitter@cambonelli.
Read or Share this story: https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/news/local/hattiesburg/2020/11/16/make-wish-mississippi-laurel-teen-saints-man-cave/6286070002/
Laurel teen endured multiple surgeries. Then his wish came true. - Hattiesburg American
- Memory making with London's most stylish creative couple - harpersbazaar.com - September 5th, 2021
- El Paso artist Pablo Hernandez to share work inspired by Indigenous past at Casa Ortiz - El Paso Times - September 5th, 2021
- Wild Indian Review: Reckoning With the Past to Save the Present - The New York Times - September 5th, 2021
- Anna Faris, Lamar Odom and More Celebs Reveal How Many People Theyve Slept With - Life & Style Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- 75 Epic 'King of the Hill' Tattoos - INKED - August 10th, 2021
- Fish Ladder Tattoo Company, Eclectic Tattoo cut ties with artists after allegations of misconduct - WSYM-TV - August 10th, 2021
- Stratford tattoo studio, art gallery moving to a new location - CTPost - August 10th, 2021
- Cox and Sasaki Indian Chief Revealed As First-in-Three Special One-Offs - autoevolution - August 10th, 2021
- Check out the tattoo honoring Naya Rivera and more tributes from Glee stars 1 year after her death - Market Research Telecast - July 10th, 2021
- 'Walking With the Trees' artist reception at Carver Hill Gallery - PenBayPilot.com - July 10th, 2021
- London's Orbital Space Comics to Open Art Gallery on Thursday - Bleeding Cool News - June 30th, 2021
- 35 Wonderful 'The Wizard of Oz' Tattoos - INKED - June 30th, 2021
- PHOTO GALLERY | Contests highlight top tattoos, bikes at Thunder in the Valley - TribDem.com - June 30th, 2021
- Rihanna Covered Up Her Matching Camo Shark Tattoo She Got With Drake, Twitter Reacts - Hip-Hop Wired - June 30th, 2021
- Against the Grain Artisan Gallery & Tattoo Partner Profile - DiscoverMooseJaw.com - DiscoverMooseJaw.com - June 13th, 2021
- Does Katrina 'Kat Tat' Jackson Have Kids? Fans Want the Full Scoop - Distractify - June 13th, 2021
- 'It's beauty and it's pain': Bodfish artist uses creativity for reflection - Kern Valley Sun - June 13th, 2021
- 45 Tattoos That Scream NYC - INKED - May 20th, 2021
- Music, beer, art and tattoos: Casa Tigre has already opened in Lisbon The Courier - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- Billie Eilish Tattoos: Guide to Ink Designs and Their Meanings - J-14 - May 8th, 2021
- Everything Joe Jonas Has Said About Being a Dad to Daughter With Sophie - J-14 - May 8th, 2021
- Moda Center welcomes Blazers fans for first time in over a year - OPB News - May 8th, 2021
- Star Wars Gaming Greats, The Bad Batch Lead Hasbros May 4th Reveals - Superherohype.com - May 8th, 2021
- Coming to The MAX 'Bloodlines' Painting legacy lives on through the art of tattoos - Meridian Star - March 9th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston Finally Revealed the Meaning Behind Her Tattoo - Yahoo Entertainment - March 9th, 2021
- Intl Critics Line: Todd McCarthy On Tunisias Oscar-Shortlisted The Man Who Sold His Skin - Deadline - March 9th, 2021
- How the pandemic has impacted how we see the arts - About Manchester - March 9th, 2021
- You can shop at California museums but you can't see the art - Los Angeles Times - February 13th, 2021
- Markers of place and connection - St. Albert Today - February 13th, 2021
- 35 All Red Tattoos - INKED - February 13th, 2021
- Couple who had whirlwind romance as Edinburgh Tattoo performers set to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary - Edinburgh News - February 13th, 2021
- Artist looks to London exhibit - The National - February 13th, 2021
- TI and Tiny's reality show halted amid sexual abuse claims, more news | Gallery - Wonderwall - February 6th, 2021
- How To Curate The Perfect Personal Art Collection For Your Home - Boss Hunting - February 5th, 2021
- Mr. Wash prison painting finds a home at the Hammer Museum - Los Angeles Times - January 27th, 2021
- These Tattoos are Super Weird - INKED - January 27th, 2021
- 'Our Diversity Is Our Strength' | Oregon ArtsWatch - Oregon ArtsWatch - January 27th, 2021
- 25 Things We Love About Santa Fe Right Now - Santa Fe Reporter - January 27th, 2021
- Five questions with Tony Henson, a painter and educator - Johnson City Press (subscription) - January 24th, 2021
- The Top-10 most read, watched Jersey Shore Covid stories : #2 - wobm.com - December 31st, 2020
- 14 clever COVID-19 design solutions from around the world - Los Angeles Times - December 31st, 2020
- Ups and downs of business in Revelstoke in 2020 - Revelstoke Review - December 31st, 2020
- These Ann Arbor-area businesses opened in 2020, despite COVID-19 challenges - MLive.com - December 25th, 2020
- Brookline artist Sam Fish wants to shake up the local art scene - Wicked Local - December 25th, 2020
- Best In Show(room): Mattress Macks Runhappy And Chester The Affenpinscher - US Racing - December 23rd, 2020
- Lily Goldberg - The Williams record - December 23rd, 2020
- Amazing Tattoo Gallery - Find Tattoo Design - December 18th, 2020
- Tattoo pictures, tattoo design art, flash tattoo, body tattoo - December 18th, 2020
- LAAMS Wants to Be Warhols Factory for This Generation - Curbed - December 18th, 2020
- 2020 Best of the Beat Forsyth County Edition: Tattoo Archive - Triad City Beat - December 18th, 2020
- The origins of tattooing - St. Albert TODAY - December 7th, 2020
- Three to See Friday: Indigenous tattoo art, competitive Kyle Beal and a virtual Queen on screen - Edmonton Journal - December 6th, 2020
- Newport City Council will host their next regular meeting on December 9, here's what's on the agenda - What'sUpNewp - December 3rd, 2020
- Is Chris Nez Married? Who is Chris Nez's Wife? Does He Have Kids? - The Cinemaholic - December 3rd, 2020
- Best of Cleveland: Arts & Entertainment 2020 | Arts & Entertainment - Cleveland Scene - December 3rd, 2020
- 10 She-Ra Tattoos That Show Off The Power Of Greyskull | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 28th, 2020
- Once Upon a Time There Were 15 Magical Tattoos - INKED - November 25th, 2020
- Norfolk police arrest woman in connection to killing on Granby Street; man wanted for murder - 13newsnow.com WVEC - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 Festive Thanksgiving Tattoos - INKED - November 23rd, 2020
- There's so much more than shopping to enjoy at Miracle Mile Shops in Las Vegas - Lasvegasmagazine - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 'The Godfather' Tattoos You Can't Refuse - INKED - November 21st, 2020
- 55 Impressive 'Looney Tunes' Tattoos - INKED - November 21st, 2020
- Best Bets: Highlights of this weekend's local entertainment calendar for Nov. 20, 2020 - Ocala - November 21st, 2020
- Nick McMaster combines his passions for tattoos and art at Cinder and Sea - Monday Mag - November 21st, 2020
- Discover Your Destiny with Tarot Card Tattoos - INKED - November 16th, 2020
- JoCo's latest pandemic health order is now in effect Here are the key details - Shawnee Mission Post - November 16th, 2020
- An Inked Guide to Symbolism Within Japanese Tattoos - INKED - November 10th, 2020
- David Beckham's Son Brooklyn Is the Latest Celebrity Kid to Reveal a Face Tattoo - Yahoo Entertainment - November 8th, 2020
- Brooklyn, son of David Beckham, is the latest popular child to reveal a face tattoo - DodoFinance - November 4th, 2020
- First stand-alone tattoo parlor to open in Arlington Heights - Chicago Daily Herald - November 4th, 2020
- UT Art Professor Takes Experimental Passion to Another Level - Minaret - November 4th, 2020
- One Year Later: Remembering The Downtown Sinkhole That Swallowed A Port Authority Bus - CBS Pittsburgh - October 30th, 2020
- Fashion hits and misses from the 2020 CMT Music Awards | Gallery - Wonderwall - October 22nd, 2020
- The Moms Guide to Marfa - SheKnows - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoos through British history on display at Carlisle's Tullie House in conjunction with National Maritime Museum Cornwall - NW Evening Mail - October 19th, 2020
- The Winners Of The 2020 Readers' Choice Awards - Louisville Eccentric Observer - October 19th, 2020
- Hunter S. Thompson legacy lives on in Aspen; new 'Freak Power' film follows 1970 campaign for sheriff - Aspen Daily News - October 17th, 2020
- These Werewolf Tattoos Will Make You Howl at the Moon - INKED - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Real Life Princess Peach Tattoos That Are Adorable | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 14th, 2020
- Before They Were Tatted: 10 Rockers Before + After Their Tattoos - Loudwire - October 14th, 2020