The Shawnee Mission Post is making much of its local coverage of the coronavirus pandemic accessible to non-subscribers. (If you value having a news source covering the situation in our community,we hope youll consider subscribing here).
A new public health directive aimed at slowing the transmission of COVID-19 in Johnson County took effect at 12:01 a.m., Monday, Nov. 16, and will stay in place through at least Jan. 31.
The Board of County Commissioners passed the order Friday by a 4-3 vote after more than six hours of debate and public comment. While the measure approved by the commission does impose some new restrictions on residents and businesses, it does not go as far as what many local public health officials recommend and is far less restrictive overall than the metro-wide stay-at-home orders seen this past spring at the start of the pandemic.
Here are some key points you need to know:
The statewide mask order issued by Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly this summer and subsequently adopted by Johnson County has been extended as part of this new directive.
This means Johnson Countians are required to wear masks in most public places and local businesses and organizations generally must require people on their premises to wear masks. Children under 5 and individuals with certain medical conditions are exempt. Also, if youre outdoors and able to maintain at least six feet of social distance from others, then face masks are not required.
The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says universal masking policies can help prevent further lockdowns and flatten a communitys curve. Meanwhile, a recent study conducted by the University of Kansas concluded that Kansas counties with mask mandates thwarted significant escalation in transmission of COVID-19 and counties operating without such mandates suffered steady infection rate increases.
In general, Johnson Countians are asked to maintain six feet of social distance in public, but there are exceptions to this in the countys order.
Mass gatherings are now limited to 50 people, or 50% of a venues capacity, whichever is fewer. Thats much higher than the limit of 15 people recently instituted in neighboring Douglas County. In addition, metro-area health leaders recently recommended that individuals avoid gatherings of more than 10 people.
Johnson Countys order says that within the 50-person limit, individuals must also be allowed to maintain 6 feet of social distance, too. But there are a whole list of exempted business and organizations from the mass gathering limit, including:
In addition, other organizations that are exempt from mass gathering requirements, include:
The only events the countys order explicitly prohibits are fairs, festivals, carnivals and parades. The countys order, however, does say political protests are excluded from mass gathering limits.
The countys order now requires bars, restaurants, night clubs and any other venues selling alcohol to close at midnight.
Thats later than the 10 p.m. closing time recommended by local health leaders in a statement last week urging Kansas City-area counties to adopt new public health orders. The thinking behind an earlier closing time for places that sell alcohol is that as the night wears on and more alcohol is consumed, individuals masking and social distancing could become more relaxed.
However, establishments may continue to provide carry-out food and beverage service after midnight.
In addition, businesses that require close contact between workers and customers like nail salons, tattoo parlors and barber shops are required to serve customers only through scheduled appointments or online/texting check-ins.
For recreational and youth organized sports competitions, attendance will be limited to a maximum of two attendees per participant, and fans are required to keep social distance in the stands.
However, collegiate sports and any sporting event sponsored by the Kansas High School Activities Association which is, essentially, all high school sports in the area do not come under these provisions. Instead, the county says the schools or districts holding those events are strongly encouraged to abide by these same attendance guidelines.
In the meantime, some local officials are questioning why the Johnson County Parks and Recreation District is going through with a full slate of winter activities, including indoor sports like basketball, even as the county health department recommends public schools cancel their winter sports.
Some county commissioners on Friday said the order needs more enforcement teeth in order to be more effective, but that suggestion got pushback from other commissinors.
I see many, many dozens of people out here not wearing a mask, Commissioner Janee Hanzlick said, referring to the gallery of people in the hallway outside the commissions chambers waiting to speak on Friday. I think its really important that we put some teeth behind this.
Later, Commissioner Mike Brown responded: I have no interest in supporting or being a part of anything to do with Commissioner Hanzlicks police state with a snitch line.
The commission is set to take up the matter of how, if at all, the countys health directive is to be enforced at Thursdays meeting.
Go here to read the rest:
- Newport City Council will host their next regular meeting on December 9, here's what's on the agenda - What'sUpNewp - December 3rd, 2020
- Is Chris Nez Married? Who is Chris Nez's Wife? Does He Have Kids? - The Cinemaholic - December 3rd, 2020
- Best of Cleveland: Arts & Entertainment 2020 | Arts & Entertainment - Cleveland Scene - December 3rd, 2020
- 10 She-Ra Tattoos That Show Off The Power Of Greyskull | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 28th, 2020
- Once Upon a Time There Were 15 Magical Tattoos - INKED - November 25th, 2020
- Norfolk police arrest woman in connection to killing on Granby Street; man wanted for murder - 13newsnow.com WVEC - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 Festive Thanksgiving Tattoos - INKED - November 23rd, 2020
- There's so much more than shopping to enjoy at Miracle Mile Shops in Las Vegas - Lasvegasmagazine - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 'The Godfather' Tattoos You Can't Refuse - INKED - November 21st, 2020
- 55 Impressive 'Looney Tunes' Tattoos - INKED - November 21st, 2020
- Best Bets: Highlights of this weekend's local entertainment calendar for Nov. 20, 2020 - Ocala - November 21st, 2020
- Nick McMaster combines his passions for tattoos and art at Cinder and Sea - Monday Mag - November 21st, 2020
- Discover Your Destiny with Tarot Card Tattoos - INKED - November 16th, 2020
- Laurel teen endured multiple surgeries. Then his wish came true. - Hattiesburg American - November 16th, 2020
- An Inked Guide to Symbolism Within Japanese Tattoos - INKED - November 10th, 2020
- David Beckham's Son Brooklyn Is the Latest Celebrity Kid to Reveal a Face Tattoo - Yahoo Entertainment - November 8th, 2020
- Brooklyn, son of David Beckham, is the latest popular child to reveal a face tattoo - DodoFinance - November 4th, 2020
- First stand-alone tattoo parlor to open in Arlington Heights - Chicago Daily Herald - November 4th, 2020
- UT Art Professor Takes Experimental Passion to Another Level - Minaret - November 4th, 2020
- One Year Later: Remembering The Downtown Sinkhole That Swallowed A Port Authority Bus - CBS Pittsburgh - October 30th, 2020
- Fashion hits and misses from the 2020 CMT Music Awards | Gallery - Wonderwall - October 22nd, 2020
- The Moms Guide to Marfa - SheKnows - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoos through British history on display at Carlisle's Tullie House in conjunction with National Maritime Museum Cornwall - NW Evening Mail - October 19th, 2020
- The Winners Of The 2020 Readers' Choice Awards - Louisville Eccentric Observer - October 19th, 2020
- Hunter S. Thompson legacy lives on in Aspen; new 'Freak Power' film follows 1970 campaign for sheriff - Aspen Daily News - October 17th, 2020
- These Werewolf Tattoos Will Make You Howl at the Moon - INKED - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Real Life Princess Peach Tattoos That Are Adorable | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 14th, 2020
- Before They Were Tatted: 10 Rockers Before + After Their Tattoos - Loudwire - October 14th, 2020
- Backstage artists find a spotlight helping to keep theaters and themselves afloat during pandemic - STLtoday.com - September 25th, 2020
- Are you one of the people getting a tattoo in Sheffield over the last 25 years in our retro gallery? - Derbyshire Times - September 23rd, 2020
- How Did The Queen React to Her Punk Portrait? - Al-Bawaba - September 22nd, 2020
- 9/23 scenes and screens - The Rice Thresher - September 22nd, 2020
- The Queen asks artist to change his punk portrait of her because she didnt like the neck tattoo - The Sun - September 22nd, 2020
- The Broken Hearts Gallery Stars Talk Grand Romantic Gestures, Karaoke, and Modern Romance - POPSUGAR - September 12th, 2020
- Several industries open next week without "limited capacity" defined - Mission Local - September 12th, 2020
- Justin Bieber & His Wife Hailey Sure Love to Eat Sushi! - Just Jared Jr. - September 12th, 2020
- Slowly, and responsibly, returning to the South End gallery scene - The Boston Globe - September 11th, 2020
- Talking Tattoos campaign to shed light on the vibrant tattoo culture in Cumbria - Cumbria Crack - September 1st, 2020
- 7 Tattoo Gallery | Newark (Ironbound) Tattoo Shop - September 1st, 2020
- I Love Trying to Make the Viewer Self-Conscious: How Rising Star Jenna Gribbon Paints the Feelings of Seeing and Being Seen - artnet News - September 1st, 2020
- Art Is Hope: Why Zadig & Voltaire is Collaborating with Emerging Creatives - Daily Front Row - August 28th, 2020
- Say a Prayer and Get a Sacred Heart Tattoo - INKED - August 28th, 2020
- Great Outfits in Fashion History (Beauty Edition): A Butterfly-Covered Billy Porter at the Critics' Choice Awards - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 25th, 2020
- World Tattoo Gallery | Tattoo website with Best Tattoos - August 24th, 2020
- Tattoos,Piercings, 100% Disposable, Tattoo Removal,Custom ... - August 24th, 2020
- Photo Diary: Two Days at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in the Midst of a Pandemic - Consequence of Sound - August 20th, 2020
- Sarah Boris on how the pandemic has changed her life, and why we all need to take a step back from work - Creative Boom - August 19th, 2020
- Long Beach tattoo studio reopens in protest of governor's closures the Hi-lo - Long Beach Post - August 19th, 2020
- Kendall Jenner Has 2 Tattoos She Loves, but 1 She Regrets Here's What They Mean - POPSUGAR - August 17th, 2020
- These Tattoos are Worth the Climb - INKED - August 12th, 2020
- Rethinking the art of Oceania - Apollo Magazine - August 12th, 2020
- Beauty Salons, Tattoo Parlours and Spas to Reopen from 13th July - Gizmodo UK - July 15th, 2020
- 40+ Actors Who Got Tattoos for Movies and TV Shows - INKED - July 15th, 2020
- Tattoo pictures gallery, tattoos images and photos ... - September 13th, 2019
- Tattoo Designs Gallery of Artwork and Videos | Custom ... - September 13th, 2019
- Best tattoo designs and ideas, tattoos for men and women - September 13th, 2019