As students build more independence than their teenage selves had, they begin to cultivate their own identities. Forming their own opinions about art and selfexpression is often one of the first steps to individuality.
Music, style, passions for school, political ideas theyre all a part of molding who we want to become.
For many, one aspect of this process is often shoved aside, labeled as shortsighted and inappropriate, getting tattoos.
Those who do have them view tattoos as a form of expression, a reminder of a lesson or a memory, or simply an appreciation for something cool. The time-old question What does your tattoo mean? doesnt always have an eloquent answer that untattooed people can understand.
Many young people work through these insecurities by leaning into their passions.
People get a draw to the things that they like, and its natural for people to have a natural draw to snowboarding or the ocean, WSU alumna Camden Clark said, and thats how I always felt about tattoos.
When she was growing up, Clark had a tough time figuring out exactly how she wanted to express herself and feel comfortable in her own skin. When she started getting tattoos, that changed.
I got a tattoo when I was 14, and then got a few more that I liked, Clark said. Then with each tattoo, I started to get more and more comfortable in my body feeling like it was my skin.
Since she was 14 years old, she has grown more and more confident in who she is because of her ability to carry around art, personal lessons, memories and reminders on her skin.
I personally think my tattoos should be appreciated because they are all like a story on my arm, Clark said. Each tattoo has a story to it has a meaning. And even if they dont, its an art piece that that person felt they loved and needed and connected with so much and even if it wasnt, I dont see how that affects other people.
Another popular argument against tattoos is that tattooed individuals are less likely to be hired in respectable jobs,but thats not always the case.
It shows I can sit through painful things, like a 12-hour meeting. It shows that I have money to sustain myself because tattoos are not cheap. It shows that I have passion about things, Clark said. I just think its funny that [tattoos] are seen as trashywhen tattoos to people are so meaningful and beautiful.
The reality is we have overlooked the artistry of tattooing because of the stigma of gangs and prisoners. Though it is true that many people in jail and many gang members have tattoos, it is not the tattoos themselves that lead to illegal or undesirable behavior.
Those who argue that tattooing is not an art in itself dont know the history nor do they understand the time and effort tattoo artists give to the profession.
Sarah Bailey, a tattoo artist finishing her apprenticeship at Blood Diamond Ink in Pullman, said that before she ever considered this field of art, she was a college graduate with an intermedia degree. She focused on video and sound, as well as painting, but nothing like tattooing.
[Tattooing] was a pretty foreign thing to me, and I have come to appreciate a lot about it, Bailey said. Its actually kind of nice approaching it from such a fresh view because theres a lot more room to experiment.
Her perspective of the art has grown since she began working at Blood Diamond Ink. Bailey spent time educating herself on the history of tattooing before ever touching a bottle of ink. She read about the origins of the art, as well as the roots of the stigmas mentioned earlier.
In the same way the stigmas around tattoos separate groups of people now, there was a separation within the field for years.
It was super, super rare for women to get tattooed or to be tattoo artists, Bailey said.
Though this might not come as a surprise, as we have definite statistics on the division between women and men in the workplace, this is a part of history we may not know without seeking the knowledge. By pursuing this career in tattooing, Bailey is learning about Americas history, not just tattoos.
Bailey also built a coil machine, which is an older, more basic tattooing machine. Tattooists use more modern designs now, but understanding the evolution of the job starts with the evolution of its tools.
She practiced drawing for hours, adding the weight of the pen to familiarize herself with that as well. When she finally started doing actual tattoos, she practiced on herself with water many times to perfect her technique.
The time she has spent in her apprenticeship is not just about perfecting the art of tattooing. Its also about understanding the depth of intimacy a tattoo artist and their client has.
I think its really cool the relationship between an artist and the person getting a tattoo because youre giving that artist the opportunity to translate that vision you have into something that will display it well, Bailey said.
This only solidifies my opinion that tattoos are a real, living art form. They are even better than paintings or music because we walk around with it displayed on our bodies. It is a clear connection between people, as Bailey revealed through her own experience getting and giving tattoos.
Because its their physical body, the way that you interact with them while theyre getting it really is important because making them feel safe, Bailey said. The way you treat their skin and them is really really important.
The ability for us to learn from artists like Bailey is the first step to understanding the depth of this art form. The permanence of a tattoo is many peoples arguments against its beauty. But for Bailey, that is what makes the art more impactful.
This is a profession that should be respected. Tattoos are a form of expression that is not likely to disappear any time soon. Just like music and fashion, it will only evolve again and again as we do. We should learn to appreciate its role in our society because it clearly has an important one.
Read the original post:
- Covid: Southend beautician fined after police discover her working | Echo - Echo - February 20th, 2021
- Thanks to Rawiri Waititi, Wearing a Tie Is Now Optional in New Zealands Parliament - Teen Vogue - February 13th, 2021
- I talk about Botox as a gateway drug: the changing face of the beauty business - Sydney Morning Herald - February 13th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 13th, 2021
- Summerside, P.E.I. woman competing to be Inked Magazine cover girl - The Journal Pioneer - February 10th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Man arrested after drugging and tattooing four sex slaves with his name before forcing them into prost - The Irish Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Capitol Riot Prompts A Reckoning Over Extremism In The Ranks - NPR - February 10th, 2021
- With Pastel Devil Studio, these artists are reimagining today's tattoo parlor - St. Louis Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Brisbane sex slave ring accused face court over allegations of prostitution - 7NEWS.com.au - February 6th, 2021
- ED'S DESK: Bogan Evil-Doers With Tenuous Links To Ivan Milat Thrill Court Watchers With 'Matching White Forensic Jumpsuits' And 'Forlorn Expressions'... - February 4th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 30th, 2021
- Face tattoos give Indigenous woman a chance to reclaim traditional form of self-expression - CBC.ca - January 24th, 2021
- Dustin Poiriers 27 tattoos and their meanings after getting his first aged 14 ahead of UFC fight with Conor M - The Irish Sun - January 24th, 2021
- Holly Willoughby winces in horror as UKs most tattooed woman reveals inking in intimate area on This Morni - The Sun - January 20th, 2021
- The mum looking to fully cover her body in tattoos by the time she is 40 - Lancs Live - January 20th, 2021
- Cape Cod people of color have renewed hope with Biden-Harris inauguration - Cape Cod Times - January 20th, 2021
- Why the far-right and white supremecists have embraced the Middle Ages and their symbols - The Conversation AU - January 15th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal (English) - January 9th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal.com - January 5th, 2021
- Walker's Point women-led tattoo shop spends grand opening giving away proceeds to charity - WTMJ-TV - January 5th, 2021
- Women Get Tattoos of Stefon Diggs Name on Their Bodies, But He Doesn't Claim Any of Them - BlackSportsOnline - January 5th, 2021
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - December 27th, 2020
- Tattoo artist raped vulnerable client and sexually assaulted five others - Cheshire Live - December 25th, 2020
- 'Depraved' tattoo artist raped woman and sexually assaulted five others while performing work on them - Manchester Evening News - December 23rd, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- Kalie Shorr Is as Bad as She Wants to Be In My Voice Video - Sounds Like Nashville - December 16th, 2020
- The Women Faced Off to Play Soccer. One Team Lost Because of Hair Dye. - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 10th, 2020
- Meet the new couples of '90 Day Fianc' - CNN - December 9th, 2020
- Sunday Funday Moment: Local woman-owned business celebrating 10th anniversary with virtual Loteria party. - KVIA El Paso - November 30th, 2020
- The day my Indian mother confronted me about my tattoo - SBS - November 26th, 2020
- Women and Minorities Value, Perceive, and Experience Professionalism Differently than Their Peers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- I studied 5,000 phone images: objects were more popular than people, but women took way more selfies - The Conversation AU - November 25th, 2020
- Megan Thee Stallion Reveals Why She Doesn't Have Any Tattoos - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2020
- Gassed in their cells, begging for food at Auckland Womens prison - RNZ - November 23rd, 2020
- Watch Lindsey Vonn Talk About Tattoos, Body Image, And Her Worst Injury In This 'Body Scan' Video - Women's Health - November 21st, 2020
- Pike River Mine: The women still bonded by tragedy a decade on - Newshub - November 18th, 2020
- Fox Maxy discusses land and Indigenous people in his films - Daily Northwestern - November 12th, 2020
- Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. says to reach out to hear veterans stories at Madison County, NY Veterans Day ceremony - Utica Observer Dispatch - November 12th, 2020
- 50 Best Hand Tattoos For Women - Inspiration From Rihanna To Cara - elle.com - November 12th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 8th, 2020
- Meet the Artist Behind the Lighting Bolt Design That Has Become the Symbol of Womens Rights in an Increasingly Oppressive Poland - artnet News - November 5th, 2020
- Body of woman dumped in Inanda who had her throat slit and hands chopped off yet to be identified - Independent Online - November 5th, 2020
- 65 Cute Small Tattoos For Women: Tiny Tattoo Ideas (2020 ... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoos For Women An Ultimate Guide to Tattoo Beauty - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artist Teamed Up with Local Print Shop to Help Raise Money for Charities that Support Black Lives Matter During Ongoing Pandemic - Printing... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artists of Color on Working With Dark Skin - Allure - November 4th, 2020
- Sean Connery: Why women loved this James Bond - THE WEEK - November 1st, 2020
- 6 Women Share the Tattoos Inspired By Their Breast Cancer Diagnosis - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 31st, 2020
- Carla Was Diagnosed with Breast Cancer So were Her Sisters and Daughters in Remarkable Case of 'Family History' - Baptist Health South Florida - October 28th, 2020
- Death-Defying Shotzi Blackheart Is a Perfect Choice to Revive the Beloved Halloween Havoc - Sports Illustrated - October 28th, 2020
- Diagnosed with Breast Cancer? Answers to Common Questions About Radiation - Chicago Health - October 28th, 2020
- 14 Incredibly Inspiring Breast Cancer Tattoos - Prevention.com - October 24th, 2020
- Watch Jordyn Woods Talk About Her 17 Piercings And 8 Tattoos In This New Video - Women's Health - October 22nd, 2020
- Think twice before getting that tattoo: It can cause your body to overheat - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Breast reconstruction: Are 3D nipple tattoos right for you? - Baylor College of Medicine News - October 22nd, 2020
- How COVID-19 changed the tattoo industry. - Newcity Design - October 22nd, 2020
- The Vow Season 2: What Happened to Keith Raniere, Allison Mack, and More NXIVM Key Players - Fort Leavenworth Lamp - October 19th, 2020
- 'I get a charge out of helping people': Breast cancer survivor finds way to give back to others - The Stanly News & Press - Stanly News &... - October 17th, 2020
- 40 Taunts By Desi Aunties That Make Young Single Women Go WTF - SheThePeople - October 17th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- The Link Between the Disappearances of Two North Texas African American Women - Local Profile - October 16th, 2020
- 'Trick-or-Treat from 6 Feet' offers fun way to give out Halloween candy - WBAL TV Baltimore - October 16th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- Far-flung face of poverty fight - Chinadaily.com.cn - Chinadaily USA - October 10th, 2020
- Woman testifies about talk of sex, witchcraft and killing during relationship with Trail, Boswell - KOLN - October 8th, 2020
- Erin Andrews Is Learning to Be Patient! - Greenwich Time - October 8th, 2020
- Fans are shocked to see Chris Evans' torso covered in tattoos in a video of him backflipping into a pool - Business Insider India - October 8th, 2020
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Tattoos aiding in recovery - NBC Right Now - October 8th, 2020
- Peter Andre shows off his scarred face for new film role with co-star Fredi Nwaka - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Man arrested in Camden deaths of woman, her son; search led to California - Arkansas Online - October 8th, 2020
- It was a cultural reset: A short history of the ABG aesthetic - i-D - October 8th, 2020
- The taboo around tattoos - The Aquinian - October 5th, 2020
- Keeping Up With The Alumni: Featuring Liz Hogan - Sports Illustrated - October 4th, 2020
- 25 Popular Forearm Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 2nd, 2020
- Dunedin tattoo artist helps guide transition for breast cancer survivors - Tampa Bay Newspapers - October 2nd, 2020
- Does Taylor Swift Have Any Tattoos? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 2nd, 2020