Tattoo symbolism goes far beyond the individual, particularly when it comes to Japanese Irezumi. In Japanese tattooing, every motif has a meaning and each tattoo tells a story. Take a look at the meanings behind 10 of the most popular Japanese tattoo concepts in the gallery below, then let us know if you have a Japanese tattoo in the comments section on social media.
Dragons are among the most popular motifs in Japanese tattooing and they symbolize balance, freedom and good luck. There are different meanings attached to dragon tattoos depending on the color, with black dragons representing wisdom, green dragons representing nature and blue dragons representing benevolence.
In Japanese mythology, koi represent perseverance and adversity. In folklore, the koi swim upstream with only the strong and voracious making it to the pond at the top, where they're transformed into dragons. They're also known to represent good luck and fortune.
It comes as no surprise that tigers represent strength, courage and power in Japanese tattooing. They're also said to protect the wearer against bad luck, bad health and evil spirits.
Foo Dogs are included in both Japanese and Chinese mythology, best known for guarding the imperial palaces and temples. In tattooing, they represent prosperity, success and offer protection to the wearer.
In many cultures around the world, phoenixes share the same story of rebirth and regeneration. They've made their mark on the world of Japanese tattooing, symbolizing transformation and triumph.
Hannya tattoos are inspired by the masks of Noh theater, which represent the souls of women who've become demons out of jealousy or obsession. In tattooing, it's used to represent intense emotions and pain.
Peonies are incredibly popular in Japanese tattooing and are used as background for larger pieces or as stand alone designs. They've taken on many meanings in Japanese mythology, representing good fortune, wealth, nobility, bravery and honor.
While cherry blossoms bloom throughout the spring, autumns are all about the Japanese maple trees. Their leaves have been depicted in Japanese art, including tattoos, for centuries and represent beauty, grace and elegance.
Lotus flowers grow in the mud, rise up through the murky waters and bloom into beautiful flowers on the surface. Through this growth cycle, they've come to represent purity, enlightenment, regeneration and rebirth.
In Japanese tattooing, foxes are called kitsunes and represent cunning intelligence and good fortune. A common motif of a kitsune is the nine tailed fox, which is known for being able to shapeshift into the body of a beautiful woman to seduce men.
Cherry blossoms are synonymous with Japanese culture and bloom throughout the country during the spring. In tattooing, these flowers symbolize love, the female mystique and beauty.
Go here to read the rest:
An Inked Guide to Symbolism Within Japanese Tattoos - INKED
- Memory making with London's most stylish creative couple - harpersbazaar.com - September 5th, 2021
- El Paso artist Pablo Hernandez to share work inspired by Indigenous past at Casa Ortiz - El Paso Times - September 5th, 2021
- Wild Indian Review: Reckoning With the Past to Save the Present - The New York Times - September 5th, 2021
- Anna Faris, Lamar Odom and More Celebs Reveal How Many People Theyve Slept With - Life & Style Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- 75 Epic 'King of the Hill' Tattoos - INKED - August 10th, 2021
- Fish Ladder Tattoo Company, Eclectic Tattoo cut ties with artists after allegations of misconduct - WSYM-TV - August 10th, 2021
- Stratford tattoo studio, art gallery moving to a new location - CTPost - August 10th, 2021
- Cox and Sasaki Indian Chief Revealed As First-in-Three Special One-Offs - autoevolution - August 10th, 2021
- Check out the tattoo honoring Naya Rivera and more tributes from Glee stars 1 year after her death - Market Research Telecast - July 10th, 2021
- 'Walking With the Trees' artist reception at Carver Hill Gallery - PenBayPilot.com - July 10th, 2021
- London's Orbital Space Comics to Open Art Gallery on Thursday - Bleeding Cool News - June 30th, 2021
- 35 Wonderful 'The Wizard of Oz' Tattoos - INKED - June 30th, 2021
- PHOTO GALLERY | Contests highlight top tattoos, bikes at Thunder in the Valley - TribDem.com - June 30th, 2021
- Rihanna Covered Up Her Matching Camo Shark Tattoo She Got With Drake, Twitter Reacts - Hip-Hop Wired - June 30th, 2021
- Against the Grain Artisan Gallery & Tattoo Partner Profile - DiscoverMooseJaw.com - DiscoverMooseJaw.com - June 13th, 2021
- Does Katrina 'Kat Tat' Jackson Have Kids? Fans Want the Full Scoop - Distractify - June 13th, 2021
- 'It's beauty and it's pain': Bodfish artist uses creativity for reflection - Kern Valley Sun - June 13th, 2021
- 45 Tattoos That Scream NYC - INKED - May 20th, 2021
- Music, beer, art and tattoos: Casa Tigre has already opened in Lisbon The Courier - The Courier - May 8th, 2021
- Billie Eilish Tattoos: Guide to Ink Designs and Their Meanings - J-14 - May 8th, 2021
- Everything Joe Jonas Has Said About Being a Dad to Daughter With Sophie - J-14 - May 8th, 2021
- Moda Center welcomes Blazers fans for first time in over a year - OPB News - May 8th, 2021
- Star Wars Gaming Greats, The Bad Batch Lead Hasbros May 4th Reveals - Superherohype.com - May 8th, 2021
- Coming to The MAX 'Bloodlines' Painting legacy lives on through the art of tattoos - Meridian Star - March 9th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston Finally Revealed the Meaning Behind Her Tattoo - Yahoo Entertainment - March 9th, 2021
- Intl Critics Line: Todd McCarthy On Tunisias Oscar-Shortlisted The Man Who Sold His Skin - Deadline - March 9th, 2021
- How the pandemic has impacted how we see the arts - About Manchester - March 9th, 2021
- You can shop at California museums but you can't see the art - Los Angeles Times - February 13th, 2021
- Markers of place and connection - St. Albert Today - February 13th, 2021
- 35 All Red Tattoos - INKED - February 13th, 2021
- Couple who had whirlwind romance as Edinburgh Tattoo performers set to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary - Edinburgh News - February 13th, 2021
- Artist looks to London exhibit - The National - February 13th, 2021
- TI and Tiny's reality show halted amid sexual abuse claims, more news | Gallery - Wonderwall - February 6th, 2021
- How To Curate The Perfect Personal Art Collection For Your Home - Boss Hunting - February 5th, 2021
- Mr. Wash prison painting finds a home at the Hammer Museum - Los Angeles Times - January 27th, 2021
- These Tattoos are Super Weird - INKED - January 27th, 2021
- 'Our Diversity Is Our Strength' | Oregon ArtsWatch - Oregon ArtsWatch - January 27th, 2021
- 25 Things We Love About Santa Fe Right Now - Santa Fe Reporter - January 27th, 2021
- Five questions with Tony Henson, a painter and educator - Johnson City Press (subscription) - January 24th, 2021
- The Top-10 most read, watched Jersey Shore Covid stories : #2 - wobm.com - December 31st, 2020
- 14 clever COVID-19 design solutions from around the world - Los Angeles Times - December 31st, 2020
- Ups and downs of business in Revelstoke in 2020 - Revelstoke Review - December 31st, 2020
- These Ann Arbor-area businesses opened in 2020, despite COVID-19 challenges - MLive.com - December 25th, 2020
- Brookline artist Sam Fish wants to shake up the local art scene - Wicked Local - December 25th, 2020
- Best In Show(room): Mattress Macks Runhappy And Chester The Affenpinscher - US Racing - December 23rd, 2020
- Lily Goldberg - The Williams record - December 23rd, 2020
- Amazing Tattoo Gallery - Find Tattoo Design - December 18th, 2020
- Tattoo pictures, tattoo design art, flash tattoo, body tattoo - December 18th, 2020
- LAAMS Wants to Be Warhols Factory for This Generation - Curbed - December 18th, 2020
- 2020 Best of the Beat Forsyth County Edition: Tattoo Archive - Triad City Beat - December 18th, 2020
- The origins of tattooing - St. Albert TODAY - December 7th, 2020
- Three to See Friday: Indigenous tattoo art, competitive Kyle Beal and a virtual Queen on screen - Edmonton Journal - December 6th, 2020
- Newport City Council will host their next regular meeting on December 9, here's what's on the agenda - What'sUpNewp - December 3rd, 2020
- Is Chris Nez Married? Who is Chris Nez's Wife? Does He Have Kids? - The Cinemaholic - December 3rd, 2020
- Best of Cleveland: Arts & Entertainment 2020 | Arts & Entertainment - Cleveland Scene - December 3rd, 2020
- 10 She-Ra Tattoos That Show Off The Power Of Greyskull | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 28th, 2020
- Once Upon a Time There Were 15 Magical Tattoos - INKED - November 25th, 2020
- Norfolk police arrest woman in connection to killing on Granby Street; man wanted for murder - 13newsnow.com WVEC - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 Festive Thanksgiving Tattoos - INKED - November 23rd, 2020
- There's so much more than shopping to enjoy at Miracle Mile Shops in Las Vegas - Lasvegasmagazine - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 'The Godfather' Tattoos You Can't Refuse - INKED - November 21st, 2020
- 55 Impressive 'Looney Tunes' Tattoos - INKED - November 21st, 2020
- Best Bets: Highlights of this weekend's local entertainment calendar for Nov. 20, 2020 - Ocala - November 21st, 2020
- Nick McMaster combines his passions for tattoos and art at Cinder and Sea - Monday Mag - November 21st, 2020
- Discover Your Destiny with Tarot Card Tattoos - INKED - November 16th, 2020
- Laurel teen endured multiple surgeries. Then his wish came true. - Hattiesburg American - November 16th, 2020
- JoCo's latest pandemic health order is now in effect Here are the key details - Shawnee Mission Post - November 16th, 2020
- David Beckham's Son Brooklyn Is the Latest Celebrity Kid to Reveal a Face Tattoo - Yahoo Entertainment - November 8th, 2020
- Brooklyn, son of David Beckham, is the latest popular child to reveal a face tattoo - DodoFinance - November 4th, 2020
- First stand-alone tattoo parlor to open in Arlington Heights - Chicago Daily Herald - November 4th, 2020
- UT Art Professor Takes Experimental Passion to Another Level - Minaret - November 4th, 2020
- One Year Later: Remembering The Downtown Sinkhole That Swallowed A Port Authority Bus - CBS Pittsburgh - October 30th, 2020
- Fashion hits and misses from the 2020 CMT Music Awards | Gallery - Wonderwall - October 22nd, 2020
- The Moms Guide to Marfa - SheKnows - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoos through British history on display at Carlisle's Tullie House in conjunction with National Maritime Museum Cornwall - NW Evening Mail - October 19th, 2020
- The Winners Of The 2020 Readers' Choice Awards - Louisville Eccentric Observer - October 19th, 2020
- Hunter S. Thompson legacy lives on in Aspen; new 'Freak Power' film follows 1970 campaign for sheriff - Aspen Daily News - October 17th, 2020
- These Werewolf Tattoos Will Make You Howl at the Moon - INKED - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Real Life Princess Peach Tattoos That Are Adorable | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 14th, 2020
- Before They Were Tatted: 10 Rockers Before + After Their Tattoos - Loudwire - October 14th, 2020