Tattoo symbolism goes far beyond the individual, particularly when it comes to Japanese Irezumi. In Japanese tattooing, every motif has a meaning and each tattoo tells a story. Take a look at the meanings behind 10 of the most popular Japanese tattoo concepts in the gallery below, then let us know if you have a Japanese tattoo in the comments section on social media.
Dragons are among the most popular motifs in Japanese tattooing and they symbolize balance, freedom and good luck. There are different meanings attached to dragon tattoos depending on the color, with black dragons representing wisdom, green dragons representing nature and blue dragons representing benevolence.
In Japanese mythology, koi represent perseverance and adversity. In folklore, the koi swim upstream with only the strong and voracious making it to the pond at the top, where they're transformed into dragons. They're also known to represent good luck and fortune.
It comes as no surprise that tigers represent strength, courage and power in Japanese tattooing. They're also said to protect the wearer against bad luck, bad health and evil spirits.
Foo Dogs are included in both Japanese and Chinese mythology, best known for guarding the imperial palaces and temples. In tattooing, they represent prosperity, success and offer protection to the wearer.
In many cultures around the world, phoenixes share the same story of rebirth and regeneration. They've made their mark on the world of Japanese tattooing, symbolizing transformation and triumph.
Hannya tattoos are inspired by the masks of Noh theater, which represent the souls of women who've become demons out of jealousy or obsession. In tattooing, it's used to represent intense emotions and pain.
Peonies are incredibly popular in Japanese tattooing and are used as background for larger pieces or as stand alone designs. They've taken on many meanings in Japanese mythology, representing good fortune, wealth, nobility, bravery and honor.
While cherry blossoms bloom throughout the spring, autumns are all about the Japanese maple trees. Their leaves have been depicted in Japanese art, including tattoos, for centuries and represent beauty, grace and elegance.
Lotus flowers grow in the mud, rise up through the murky waters and bloom into beautiful flowers on the surface. Through this growth cycle, they've come to represent purity, enlightenment, regeneration and rebirth.
In Japanese tattooing, foxes are called kitsunes and represent cunning intelligence and good fortune. A common motif of a kitsune is the nine tailed fox, which is known for being able to shapeshift into the body of a beautiful woman to seduce men.
Cherry blossoms are synonymous with Japanese culture and bloom throughout the country during the spring. In tattooing, these flowers symbolize love, the female mystique and beauty.
Go here to read the rest:
- Newport City Council will host their next regular meeting on December 9, here's what's on the agenda - What'sUpNewp - December 3rd, 2020
- Is Chris Nez Married? Who is Chris Nez's Wife? Does He Have Kids? - The Cinemaholic - December 3rd, 2020
- Best of Cleveland: Arts & Entertainment 2020 | Arts & Entertainment - Cleveland Scene - December 3rd, 2020
- 10 She-Ra Tattoos That Show Off The Power Of Greyskull | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 28th, 2020
- Once Upon a Time There Were 15 Magical Tattoos - INKED - November 25th, 2020
- Norfolk police arrest woman in connection to killing on Granby Street; man wanted for murder - 13newsnow.com WVEC - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 Festive Thanksgiving Tattoos - INKED - November 23rd, 2020
- There's so much more than shopping to enjoy at Miracle Mile Shops in Las Vegas - Lasvegasmagazine - November 23rd, 2020
- 25 'The Godfather' Tattoos You Can't Refuse - INKED - November 21st, 2020
- 55 Impressive 'Looney Tunes' Tattoos - INKED - November 21st, 2020
- Best Bets: Highlights of this weekend's local entertainment calendar for Nov. 20, 2020 - Ocala - November 21st, 2020
- Nick McMaster combines his passions for tattoos and art at Cinder and Sea - Monday Mag - November 21st, 2020
- Discover Your Destiny with Tarot Card Tattoos - INKED - November 16th, 2020
- Laurel teen endured multiple surgeries. Then his wish came true. - Hattiesburg American - November 16th, 2020
- JoCo's latest pandemic health order is now in effect Here are the key details - Shawnee Mission Post - November 16th, 2020
- David Beckham's Son Brooklyn Is the Latest Celebrity Kid to Reveal a Face Tattoo - Yahoo Entertainment - November 8th, 2020
- Brooklyn, son of David Beckham, is the latest popular child to reveal a face tattoo - DodoFinance - November 4th, 2020
- First stand-alone tattoo parlor to open in Arlington Heights - Chicago Daily Herald - November 4th, 2020
- UT Art Professor Takes Experimental Passion to Another Level - Minaret - November 4th, 2020
- One Year Later: Remembering The Downtown Sinkhole That Swallowed A Port Authority Bus - CBS Pittsburgh - October 30th, 2020
- Fashion hits and misses from the 2020 CMT Music Awards | Gallery - Wonderwall - October 22nd, 2020
- The Moms Guide to Marfa - SheKnows - October 21st, 2020
- Tattoos through British history on display at Carlisle's Tullie House in conjunction with National Maritime Museum Cornwall - NW Evening Mail - October 19th, 2020
- The Winners Of The 2020 Readers' Choice Awards - Louisville Eccentric Observer - October 19th, 2020
- Hunter S. Thompson legacy lives on in Aspen; new 'Freak Power' film follows 1970 campaign for sheriff - Aspen Daily News - October 17th, 2020
- These Werewolf Tattoos Will Make You Howl at the Moon - INKED - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Real Life Princess Peach Tattoos That Are Adorable | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 14th, 2020
- Before They Were Tatted: 10 Rockers Before + After Their Tattoos - Loudwire - October 14th, 2020
- Backstage artists find a spotlight helping to keep theaters and themselves afloat during pandemic - STLtoday.com - September 25th, 2020
- Are you one of the people getting a tattoo in Sheffield over the last 25 years in our retro gallery? - Derbyshire Times - September 23rd, 2020
- How Did The Queen React to Her Punk Portrait? - Al-Bawaba - September 22nd, 2020
- 9/23 scenes and screens - The Rice Thresher - September 22nd, 2020
- The Queen asks artist to change his punk portrait of her because she didnt like the neck tattoo - The Sun - September 22nd, 2020
- The Broken Hearts Gallery Stars Talk Grand Romantic Gestures, Karaoke, and Modern Romance - POPSUGAR - September 12th, 2020
- Several industries open next week without "limited capacity" defined - Mission Local - September 12th, 2020
- Justin Bieber & His Wife Hailey Sure Love to Eat Sushi! - Just Jared Jr. - September 12th, 2020
- Slowly, and responsibly, returning to the South End gallery scene - The Boston Globe - September 11th, 2020
- Talking Tattoos campaign to shed light on the vibrant tattoo culture in Cumbria - Cumbria Crack - September 1st, 2020
- 7 Tattoo Gallery | Newark (Ironbound) Tattoo Shop - September 1st, 2020
- I Love Trying to Make the Viewer Self-Conscious: How Rising Star Jenna Gribbon Paints the Feelings of Seeing and Being Seen - artnet News - September 1st, 2020
- Art Is Hope: Why Zadig & Voltaire is Collaborating with Emerging Creatives - Daily Front Row - August 28th, 2020
- Say a Prayer and Get a Sacred Heart Tattoo - INKED - August 28th, 2020
- Great Outfits in Fashion History (Beauty Edition): A Butterfly-Covered Billy Porter at the Critics' Choice Awards - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 25th, 2020
- World Tattoo Gallery | Tattoo website with Best Tattoos - August 24th, 2020
- Tattoos,Piercings, 100% Disposable, Tattoo Removal,Custom ... - August 24th, 2020
- Photo Diary: Two Days at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in the Midst of a Pandemic - Consequence of Sound - August 20th, 2020
- Sarah Boris on how the pandemic has changed her life, and why we all need to take a step back from work - Creative Boom - August 19th, 2020
- Long Beach tattoo studio reopens in protest of governor's closures the Hi-lo - Long Beach Post - August 19th, 2020
- Kendall Jenner Has 2 Tattoos She Loves, but 1 She Regrets Here's What They Mean - POPSUGAR - August 17th, 2020
- These Tattoos are Worth the Climb - INKED - August 12th, 2020
- Rethinking the art of Oceania - Apollo Magazine - August 12th, 2020
- Beauty Salons, Tattoo Parlours and Spas to Reopen from 13th July - Gizmodo UK - July 15th, 2020
- 40+ Actors Who Got Tattoos for Movies and TV Shows - INKED - July 15th, 2020
- Tattoo pictures gallery, tattoos images and photos ... - September 13th, 2019
- Tattoo Designs Gallery of Artwork and Videos | Custom ... - September 13th, 2019
- Best tattoo designs and ideas, tattoos for men and women - September 13th, 2019