Come up on the second floor, and then its the second door! Juju told me over the phone when I asked how to get to The Secret Door, the Williamsburg tattoo parlor where she worked. Outside, the grey, graffitied warehouse had barren walls; inside, dim-lit corridors and innumerable doors made it look like a maze. Ironically, The Secret Door was printed in small characters on the heavy metal door in question. Inside, a few green plants and some vintage pieces of furniture here and there worked as a bright frame to all the art, in sketches or framed, that lived in the open-space loft-style studio. Above Jujus station, outlines of abstract faces, minimalist moons and elegant designs mapped the wall and welcomed every client into Jujus world.
Juliette HavardTrapani, who goes by Juju, joined The Secret Door last year. Now, because of the pandemic, The Secret Door is temporarily closed. One of the owners, though, opened a tiny private studio when the pandemic-related regulations allowed it, and Juju is now working there. Job semi-security aside, though, being a tattoo artist during a pandemic is mentally and socially stressful. On Instagram, shes been vocal about her concerns and rules for safety in the end, its an equation factoring in strangers, needles, and a lot of touching.
It surprises me that everybody wanted to get tattooed now and even during quarantine.
People really thought that the world is ending, and in those times, people want to do things that just make them feel happy and normal.
Are they requesting unusual or pandemic-related designs?
People are being a little bit bolder than they were before. I think people are just kind of getting whatever. And theyre saying fuck it a lot more easily in terms of placement and size.
Go big or go home, basically.
Yeah! People are living more dangerously now. Everythings falling apart the politics of the world, our ecosystem, everything. People are trying to make up for that by doing things that make them feel really good.
Your original style is very delicate. How would you describe it?
My style is abstract, fine line, and minimalism.
Your Juju Faces designs definitely have these three characteristics. Did anybody go bold with them?
I tattooed one of my faces on the palm of a woman that was pretty bold!
You set some important safety rules for your clients, like always wearing a mask, coming alone, etc. are they respecting them?
They are. Theyre really great. You think everybodys equally I dont use the word scared because I dont like using that word aware of everything thats going on. Everybody wants to be respectful of each other.
You talk fondly about The Secret Door and its artists. What were your first thoughts when the studio had to close?
I think I was just hugely in denial. I figured, Oh, The Secret Door is gonna open in a couple of months and I pushed all my appointments back for just a couple months. But then obviously, its the pandemic it proved to be worse than we thought it was.
Everybody felt like time froze.
Honestly, it didnt really ever slow down for me. I had clients asking for appointments at my apartment all through the pandemic.
Did you do it?
I did a couple of friends who I knew were quarantining, but I was afraid too! Theres definitely a point where I think everybody was scared, and I wasnt going to risk it myself just for money.
Im sure you had to reinvent yourself somehow in order to make some money.
I do a lot of other things Im a musician, Im a painter, I paint clothes. [The latter] is kind of what I focused on. I started doing my hand-painted tank tops, and overalls and jeans and stuff, and thats what Ive been doing to fill my time.
In terms of your own safety, how often do you get tested?
Once a week.
Are you ever concerned about being in contact with strangers every day?
Honestly, I have a very strong immune system knock on wood.
Knock on wood, yeah. Youve been fully booked for a while now how did that feel?
It was very moving. Throughout everything Im able to survive I had a pretty rough life growing up and finding something that I can put a roof over my head and take care of my family was already such a blessing. Then the fact that Im still able to work it when so many people dont have jobs and dont have homes I just felt really grateful.
But the world is different now. Do you think the tattoo world will permanently change?
Its gonna change so much. Tattoo shops used to be parties hanging out, and artists hanging out and learning from each other. Now its very quiet. Its like people are trying to stay away from each other.
Its a little less fun now.
It doesnt have to be I certainly try and always have a good time. And the joy of my clients just continues to bring me back. Thats the reason I do it. Yes, I love to tattoo, but making people happy is one of my favorite things, especially the therapeutic aspect of tattooing.
Its the big reason why I get tattooed.
Correction: An earlier version of this post misspelled Juliette HavardTrapanis name and misstated the amount of time she had worked for The Secret Door.
Read more here:
- 'Art is sanity:' Artist with background in graffiti depends on his creations to keep him grounded - Webster Journal - December 3rd, 2020
- Making Moves: 26 Ways To Get Involved In Dallas This Week. - Central Track - December 3rd, 2020
- Tattooists Talk About All the COVID Tattoos They've Been Doing - VICE - December 3rd, 2020
- Grace Zoom-A-Thon Today | News | thecheyennepost.com - thecheyennepost.com - December 1st, 2020
- Justin Bieber Chats About Haileys Thanksgiving Cooking, His Recent Performances, Tattoos & More On Ellen DeGeneres Show (Watch Now) -... - December 1st, 2020
- Best of the Best Spokane Tattoo Shops: All About It Ink Tattoo Studio - PRUnderground - November 30th, 2020
- We Meet an Artist Carrying On Japans Hand-Poked Tattoo Traditions - VICE - November 30th, 2020
- Tattoo Studio Software Market Size, Analysis, Growth, Trends, Outlook And Forecast By 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Morris Museum Presents the Tapestries of Jon Eric Riis - Baristanet - November 30th, 2020
- Local body art studio highlights brand meaning and how it has sustained through COVID-19 - WBRC - November 28th, 2020
- Best of the Red River Valley 2020: Best Tattoo Shop | INFORUM - INFORUM - November 28th, 2020
- Lockdown-defying tattoo shop raided for second time as owner wrongly cites Magna Carta - The Samford Crimson - November 27th, 2020
- Centreville shop takes on mission to 'Erase the Hate' - MyEasternShoreMD - November 27th, 2020
- Five businesses earn Best of Largo honors - Tampa Bay Newspapers - November 27th, 2020
- Missing pregnant teen from New Bedford believed to be found dead in Florida - The Boston Globe - November 27th, 2020
- 'This year has brought out the best in a lot of people' Wakefield shop owner says - Wakefield Express - November 27th, 2020
- How Vermonters Are Coping With Being Apart In the Pandemic - Seven Days - November 27th, 2020
- 'Changes the feel of Mission' Tattoo shop owner hopes wooly mammoth mural brings people to Johnson Dr. - Shawnee Mission Post - November 25th, 2020
- Friday the 13th still happens safely amidst pandemic - FSView & Florida Flambeau - November 25th, 2020
- Travis Barker got a new face tattoo, and it might look familiar - Alternative Press - November 25th, 2020
- Kurt Cobain Daughter Frances Says You Will Not Be Missed As She Shows Her Regretful Tattoo A ... - Metalhead Zone - November 25th, 2020
- While some struggling businesses close in Wilmington, others open in their place - UNCW Seahawk - November 25th, 2020
- An Interview With California-Based Singer-Songwriter LIBERTY On Her Debut Original Single 'Tattoo' and Much More! | All - All Access Music Group - November 25th, 2020
- Green-Wood Cemeterys New Artist-in-Residence - The New Yorker - November 25th, 2020
- Meet the young Houston artist who offers free self-harm cover up tattoos - Chron - November 21st, 2020
- Tattoo addict has number six CARVED into his scalp and plans to get the Devils 666 - The Scottish Sun - November 21st, 2020
- Businesses invited to make town centre shine with Festive Windows competition - Tamworth Informed - November 21st, 2020
- Tattoo Studio Just4UsShopping -TheApp - November 18th, 2020
- Tattoo addict has number six CARVED into his scalp and plans to get the Devils 666 - The Sun - November 18th, 2020
- Businesses invited to make Tamworth town centre shine with Festive Windows competition - Tamworth Borough Council - November 18th, 2020
- Remington Tattoo Parlor: How to Choose from the Tattoo Shops Near Me in San Diego - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 18th, 2020
- Nick McMaster combines his passions for tattoos and art at Cinder and Sea - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - November 16th, 2020
- Friday the 13th tattoo deals in Gainesville - The Independent Florida Alligator - November 16th, 2020
- Police officer tells lockdown breach tattoo artist Aron Walton: 'I'll leave you to it' - Bristol Live - November 16th, 2020
- Vanessa Hudgens Adds a New Tattoo to Her Collection - Al-Bawaba - November 16th, 2020
- Tattoo Studio Software Market 2020: Size, Professional Survey, and Forecast to 2027 - Eurowire - November 12th, 2020
- Sault tattoo artist says demand has increased as people look to cross things off their bucket list - CTV Toronto - November 12th, 2020
- GFRIEND, the K-pop group released MAGO MV showcasing their disco moves; Watch - Republic World - November 12th, 2020
- Underrated albums you should listen to The Oracle - The Oracle - November 12th, 2020
- 35th Legislative District: Don Nevills (Write-In) - Tube City Almanac - The Tube City Almanac - November 5th, 2020
- Above All Tattoo Takes Inking To The Next Level With Detailed Tattoo Designs - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 5th, 2020
- Bristol tattooist says he will open shop in lockdown and wants a 'party' - Bristol Live - November 3rd, 2020
- Women with most embarrassing tattoo fails ever share their disastrous inkings - Daily Star - November 3rd, 2020
- Consider This Your Ultimate Guide to Cosmetic Tattooing and Permanent Makeup - POPSUGAR - November 1st, 2020
- This Makeup Artists Avant-Garde Looks Will Inspire You to Use Your Face as a Canvas - Vogue - October 31st, 2020
- Trend Blazer - Daily Pioneer - October 30th, 2020
- Japan Ink: Growing tribe proudly defies tattoo taboo - Japan Today - October 30th, 2020
- Kunal Kemmu's Stylish Tiger Tattoo Took 4 Years to Complete and It Looks Awesome - Report Door - October 30th, 2020
- Paulina Goto boasts a special new tattoo in honor of her recently deceased father - OI Canadian - October 30th, 2020
- Eyebrow Enhancements: What to Know, Straight from the Experts - Coveteur - October 30th, 2020
- Consider This Your Ultimate Guide to Cosmetic Tattooing and Permanent Makeup - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 28th, 2020
- Japan ink: Growing tribe proudly defies tattoo taboo and hopes for Olympic boost - The Japan Times - October 28th, 2020
- Love Island's Theo Campbell and Georgia Harrison show off matching tattoos - Heat - October 28th, 2020
- All of Demi Lovato's tattoos and their meanings - Page Six - October 25th, 2020
- Renegade Tattoo and Piercing Shop opens in New Concord - The Daily Jeffersonian - October 25th, 2020
- Creative business booming in south - Times Age - Wairarapa Times Age - October 24th, 2020
- MAGNUM To Release Special Album, Dance Of The Black Tattoo, In January - bravewords.com - October 24th, 2020
- Hailey Bieber Got a New Tattoo in Tribute to Husband Justin Bieber - MarieClaire.com - October 22nd, 2020
- Panama City to loosen limitations on tattoo parlors - The News Herald - October 22nd, 2020
- Student Blake Roberts shares his journey of tattooing - The Signal - The Signal - October 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Studio Software Market 2020 Technological Breakthroughs Evaluation Report By Players: BookedIN, Kitomba, Baxus, GoReminders, Offshoot, Punchey... - October 22nd, 2020
- Coronavirus in Scotland: These are the Falkirk businesses which make customers feel safest, according to you - Falkirk Herald - October 22nd, 2020
- Cond Nast Traveler 2020 Reader's Choice Award Honors Lightstone's Moxy Times Square, Moxy Chelsea, And Moxy East Village Hotels As Three Of The... - October 22nd, 2020
- Married Couple of 60 Years Reunited After 215 Days Apart - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 22nd, 2020
- Hailey Biebers Hairstylist Revealed Her Two Go-To Products - Teen Vogue - October 22nd, 2020
- Cleethorpes tattoo artist spotted on night out with Emily Atack reveals all about his art work - Grimsby Live - October 19th, 2020
- Move over Judith, Crusher fan eyes Winnie tattoo - Stuff.co.nz - October 19th, 2020
- Breaking the Black Ceiling - OZY | A Modern Media Company - OZY - October 19th, 2020
- Jason Aldean Expects His 10th Album To Be Finished In March 2021 | The Bobby Bones Show | Bobby Bones - iHeartRadio - October 19th, 2020
- How local tattoo shops are dealing with the pandemic - SW News Media - October 16th, 2020
- The Argonaut Pen and Oak Tattoo opens shop - Argonaut - October 16th, 2020
- This Melbourne Artist Puts You on the Plate With Your Favourite Food And He's Taking Commissions - Broadsheet - October 16th, 2020
- Joe Jonas Fans Are Convinced He Tattooed Sophie Turners Face on His Neck - E! Online - October 14th, 2020
- Reader s opinion A professional tattoo cannot be used to get hepatitis infection - Pledge Times - October 14th, 2020
- Now On Kickstarter, The King Of Ink, A New Romantic Comedy Where Tattoos Come To Life - Press Release - Digital Journal - October 14th, 2020
- Leading artists contribute to Brighton Domes Crowdfunder campaign - Worthing Herald - October 10th, 2020
- Cancer survivor views tattoos as another recovery technique - Leader Publications - October 9th, 2020
- Tattoo shop owners sue governor, state health officials for the right to open - Long Beach Business Journal - Long Beach News - October 9th, 2020
- 20 Unforgettable Moon Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 9th, 2020
- The Sims 4 Hispanic Heritage and Skin Tone Update Leads to Backlash - GameRant - October 9th, 2020