Physicians have used radiation therapy to treat breast cancer for well over a century. But even though its safe, some people facing the treatment have concerns.
The first breast radiation treatment took place in Chicago in 1896, when an enterprising medical student irradiated an older woman in an X-ray tube factory on Halsted Street, according to the book The Emperor of All Maladies. Since then, research, technology, and experience have come together to make breast radiation therapy a safe, tolerable treatment with measurable results.
Breast radiotherapy is pretty cool in the sense that over time, this treatment has gotten safer, faster, more convenient, and less expensive than it used to be. That is quite rare in medicine, says Jonathan Strauss, MD, associate professor of radiation oncology at Northwestern Universitys Feinberg School of Medicine.
Here, local experts share answers to common questions people have before undergoing radiation therapy for breast cancer.
After surgery, There can be tumor cells lurking behind, says William Bloomer, MD, a radiation oncologist at NorthShore University HealthSystem. Those tumor cells could eventually cause a recurrence of cancer, even in women with small tumors and clear margins after lumpectomy. Radiation targets lurking cells to reduce the chance the cancer will come back. The radiation lowers whatever the inherent recurrence rate is by 50%, Bloomer says.
Specialists may make a mold of the patients body or of a specific body part for the patient to lie in during treatment to remain immobilized, or they may carefully position the patient on a board. A radiation technician marks the skin with tiny tattoos that look like blue freckles or with ink covered by tape that stays on for the duration of treatment. For each treatment, the technician lines up lasers with the marks to make sure the patient is positioned correctly, so we can be right on target with where our beam is going, Strauss says.
There is a very small risk that radiation can cause a secondary cancer such as lung cancer or skin cancer in the treated area to develop 10 or 20 years later. The risk of lung cancer in breast radiation patients is 0.3% for nonsmokers and 4% for long-term smokers, according to a 2017 study in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. Though the risk is real, the benefit of radiation therapy outweighs the risk of a future cancer caused by it.
On balance, the benefit of radiation therapy in terms of local cancer control and survival is several orders of magnitude greater than the risk of a future cancer caused by it, Bloomer says.
The heart lies very close to the breasts, especially the left one, and there is a small risk of heart issues after radiation, Strauss says. That risk increases with larger doses.
To lower the risk, doctors use a simple technique called deep inspiration breath hold to move the heart away from the radiation field. The specialist guides the patient through a series of deep breaths that inflates the lungs and shifts the heart out of the radiation field.
If a woman has large breasts, the doctor may ask her to flip over to use the prone breast technique, Bloomer says. The breast will hang through an opening in the table and get treated through the opening, which avoids the heart. With these techniques, the risk to the heart is largely, if not entirely, eliminated, Strauss says.
Until recently, patients typically could expect 33 radiation treatments, one every weekday for six to seven weeks. Today, if there is no evidence of cancer in the lymph nodes, We now will use a three- or four-week course, depending on whether we add a boost at the end. [We] are starting to use a one-week course, Strauss says, pointing to data from the United Kingdom that support the shorter treatment.
With the shorter course, the patient receives more radiation each day, but the total amount is lower than the amount administered over the longer course, Strauss says. If cancer has affected the lymph nodes, patients will have the longer six-week course.
No. The scatter that occurs with radiation therapy is minimal and mostly internal, with very little coming into the room from the machinery, Strauss says.
Yes, if the interval is long enough, Bloomer says. Reirradiation usually is done only for early-stage recurrences without lymph node involvement and takes three to four weeks.
In fact, he says, he has treated one person three times on the same breast. Reirradiation is usually partial breast radiation treating only the area of the breast where the recurrent cancer was found, rather than the whole breast to minimize the risk of long-term tissue damage.
Strauss confirms that reradiation is feasible for some patients, but he says that mastectomy is the more common treatment for recurrence.
Long radiation treatments can wreak havoc on skin, causing itchy red blotches like prickly heat, blisters, and peeling. But radiation oncologists have improved at delivering a smooth, even distribution of radiation across the breast, which, combined with fewer treatments, has decreased skin damage.
If a skin reaction develops, Bloomer suggests first applying Aquaphor ointment and then using a prescription steroid cream if the reaction progresses. Steer clear of hot tubs during treatments, he adds, because they dry out skin and make it more prone to peeling.
While radiation therapy is certainly not a pleasant way to spend time, it is safe and has potentially life-saving results. Its still no picnic, but its nice to know that it has been improving over time, Strauss says. I feel like every year I do this, its just a little bit better than it was the year before.
Ronit Rose is a freelance writer, based in Chicago. She has a special interest in health, healthcare and preventive medicine.
Go here to read the rest:
- Sunday Funday Moment: Local woman-owned business celebrating 10th anniversary with virtual Loteria party. - KVIA El Paso - November 30th, 2020
- The day my Indian mother confronted me about my tattoo - SBS - November 26th, 2020
- Women and Minorities Value, Perceive, and Experience Professionalism Differently than Their Peers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- I studied 5,000 phone images: objects were more popular than people, but women took way more selfies - The Conversation AU - November 25th, 2020
- Megan Thee Stallion Reveals Why She Doesn't Have Any Tattoos - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2020
- Gassed in their cells, begging for food at Auckland Womens prison - RNZ - November 23rd, 2020
- Watch Lindsey Vonn Talk About Tattoos, Body Image, And Her Worst Injury In This 'Body Scan' Video - Women's Health - November 21st, 2020
- Pike River Mine: The women still bonded by tragedy a decade on - Newshub - November 18th, 2020
- OPINION: Tattoos are a way to express creativity - The Daily Evergreen - November 12th, 2020
- Fox Maxy discusses land and Indigenous people in his films - Daily Northwestern - November 12th, 2020
- Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. says to reach out to hear veterans stories at Madison County, NY Veterans Day ceremony - Utica Observer Dispatch - November 12th, 2020
- 50 Best Hand Tattoos For Women - Inspiration From Rihanna To Cara - elle.com - November 12th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 8th, 2020
- Meet the Artist Behind the Lighting Bolt Design That Has Become the Symbol of Womens Rights in an Increasingly Oppressive Poland - artnet News - November 5th, 2020
- Body of woman dumped in Inanda who had her throat slit and hands chopped off yet to be identified - Independent Online - November 5th, 2020
- 65 Cute Small Tattoos For Women: Tiny Tattoo Ideas (2020 ... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoos For Women An Ultimate Guide to Tattoo Beauty - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artist Teamed Up with Local Print Shop to Help Raise Money for Charities that Support Black Lives Matter During Ongoing Pandemic - Printing... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artists of Color on Working With Dark Skin - Allure - November 4th, 2020
- Sean Connery: Why women loved this James Bond - THE WEEK - November 1st, 2020
- 6 Women Share the Tattoos Inspired By Their Breast Cancer Diagnosis - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 31st, 2020
- Carla Was Diagnosed with Breast Cancer So were Her Sisters and Daughters in Remarkable Case of 'Family History' - Baptist Health South Florida - October 28th, 2020
- Death-Defying Shotzi Blackheart Is a Perfect Choice to Revive the Beloved Halloween Havoc - Sports Illustrated - October 28th, 2020
- 14 Incredibly Inspiring Breast Cancer Tattoos - Prevention.com - October 24th, 2020
- Watch Jordyn Woods Talk About Her 17 Piercings And 8 Tattoos In This New Video - Women's Health - October 22nd, 2020
- Think twice before getting that tattoo: It can cause your body to overheat - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Breast reconstruction: Are 3D nipple tattoos right for you? - Baylor College of Medicine News - October 22nd, 2020
- How COVID-19 changed the tattoo industry. - Newcity Design - October 22nd, 2020
- The Vow Season 2: What Happened to Keith Raniere, Allison Mack, and More NXIVM Key Players - Fort Leavenworth Lamp - October 19th, 2020
- 'I get a charge out of helping people': Breast cancer survivor finds way to give back to others - The Stanly News & Press - Stanly News &... - October 17th, 2020
- 40 Taunts By Desi Aunties That Make Young Single Women Go WTF - SheThePeople - October 17th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- The Link Between the Disappearances of Two North Texas African American Women - Local Profile - October 16th, 2020
- 'Trick-or-Treat from 6 Feet' offers fun way to give out Halloween candy - WBAL TV Baltimore - October 16th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- Far-flung face of poverty fight - Chinadaily.com.cn - Chinadaily USA - October 10th, 2020
- Woman testifies about talk of sex, witchcraft and killing during relationship with Trail, Boswell - KOLN - October 8th, 2020
- Erin Andrews Is Learning to Be Patient! - Greenwich Time - October 8th, 2020
- Fans are shocked to see Chris Evans' torso covered in tattoos in a video of him backflipping into a pool - Business Insider India - October 8th, 2020
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Tattoos aiding in recovery - NBC Right Now - October 8th, 2020
- Peter Andre shows off his scarred face for new film role with co-star Fredi Nwaka - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Man arrested in Camden deaths of woman, her son; search led to California - Arkansas Online - October 8th, 2020
- It was a cultural reset: A short history of the ABG aesthetic - i-D - October 8th, 2020
- The taboo around tattoos - The Aquinian - October 5th, 2020
- Keeping Up With The Alumni: Featuring Liz Hogan - Sports Illustrated - October 4th, 2020
- 25 Popular Forearm Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 2nd, 2020
- Dunedin tattoo artist helps guide transition for breast cancer survivors - Tampa Bay Newspapers - October 2nd, 2020
- Does Taylor Swift Have Any Tattoos? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 2nd, 2020
- The oldest tattoo shop in Louisiana is in New Orleans and operated by tattooing legend Jacci Gresham - Very Local New Orleans - October 2nd, 2020
- Which Celeb's Name Does Johnny Depp Have Tattooed Across His Heart? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price gets matching tattoos with boyfriend Carl Woods - Metro.co.uk - September 30th, 2020
- Lily-Rose Depp Reveals She Has a 'Ton of Anxiety' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 30th, 2020
- Movies Seen Alone in New York City, Reviewed - The Cut - September 30th, 2020
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Why we will sorely miss the 'Notorious' RBG | Opinion - Commercial Appeal - September 28th, 2020
- For Australia's military veterans, tattoos are an important reminder of the things they've seen - The Canberra Times - September 28th, 2020
- Hegar responds to attack ad that features tattoos covering her scars - Business Insider - Business Insider - September 25th, 2020
- I Have a Real-Life WAP, and Its Ruining My Sex Life - Slate - September 25th, 2020
- Israel Adesanya is the UFC champion inspired by anime, who rivals Conor McGregor for superstardom and - talkSPORT.com - September 25th, 2020
- Chinese city orders taxi drivers to remove tattoos (for the women and children) - bdnews24.com - September 23rd, 2020
- The daily gossip: The Hallmark Channel will have a Christmas movie about a same-sex couple this year, Dolly Parton has a beehive tattoo, and more -... - September 23rd, 2020
- 'Beard Baiting' Is The Latest Dating Trend Australians Need To Watch Out For - DMARGE - September 23rd, 2020
- Double murderer with tattoos on eyelids burned victims bodies in a flaming car and then carjacked woman at - The Sun - September 22nd, 2020
- DR. ROBERT WALLACE: Reader should be proactive with future love interests - Goshen News - September 22nd, 2020
- Davina McCall Exposes Intimate Tattoos In White Bodysuit After Becoming Oldest Cover Star For Womens Health - The Inquisitr - September 22nd, 2020
- In memoriam: Inspiration and hope in the life and work of Ruth Bader Ginsburg - One of the things that concerns me most is that we will no longer have... - September 22nd, 2020
- 'A leader of all humanity': Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a hero, icon, fighter for women and girls across the nation - USA TODAY - September 22nd, 2020
- Sexual harassment should not be the price of admission for women in the military - AirForceTimes.com - September 22nd, 2020
- What Does Johnny Depp's Tattoo Dedicated To Winona Ryder Say? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 20th, 2020
- Man tattoos his entire body black with Evil plastered across him and now wants to slice off his nippl - The Sun - September 12th, 2020
- Extreme tattoo fan inks entire body and wants to slice nipples off too - Daily Star - September 12th, 2020
- Hank Nuwer: Who was that masked man? Me - Greenfield Daily Reporter - September 12th, 2020
- Kick The Hobbit | Advice & Fun | Bend - The Source Weekly - September 9th, 2020
- Heart tattoos to highlight help available - Spalding Today - September 9th, 2020
- Human trafficking myths and misconceptions - Rio Blanco Herald Times - September 7th, 2020
- Guest View: More in Defense of Allison Mack These Were Adult Women - Artvoice - September 6th, 2020
- Kaia Gerber leaves little to the imagination in a barely-there outfit for her 19th birthday - HOLA USA - September 6th, 2020
- I wear my tattoos as badges of honour for the pain that remains hidden - Sydney Morning Herald - August 30th, 2020
- Watch Katherine McNamara Show Off All 10 Of Her Tattoos In This Video - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 30th, 2020
- 5 Best Looks Of Lita's Career (& The 5 Worst) | TheSportster - TheSportster - August 30th, 2020