After three of Carla Walkers four sisters developed breast cancer, she lived with the uneasy feeling that she would be next. That feeling turned out to be right. In February of 2019, an MRI discovered a tumor too small to be detected by a mammogram. It was invasive ductal cancer, which makes up about 80 percent of all breast cancers.
I was very, very lucky, says Ms. Walker (pictured above). My breast cancer was stage 1-A. It was the size of a chickpea.
Early detection and treatment meant an excellent prognosis for the 59-year-old mother of two who works for Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue as a training coordinator for fire, police and 911 dispatchers.
I knew that I wanted a mastectomy, if that was at all possible, she says. I just wanted to definitely remove any chance of it ever coming back, if there was any way at all. Not to say that it cant, because it can. But at least I lessened those chances.
(Watch video now: Hear from breast cancer patient, Carla Walker, and Starr Mautner, M.D., breast surgeon at Miami Cancer Institute. Video by Carol Higgins.)
Starr Mautner, M.D., breast surgeon atMiami Cancer Institute, guided Ms. Walker through her treatment options, discussing the risks and benefits of a lumpectomy versus a mastectomy.
Ultimately, Carla had to make the decision that was right for her, says Dr. Mautner. And that was a very personal decision. Having bilateral mastectomies for her was the only way that she would ultimately have peace of mind, but this isnt necessarily the right decision for all patients.
Family History and Genetic Testing
Prior to her diagnosis, Carla and her sisters with breast cancer had each undergone genetic testing. None of them carried a genetic mutation that is associated with a high risk of breast cancer. While family history is important, Dr. Mautner emphasizes that only about 10 percent of all breast cancers are actually linked to a genetic mutation, such as the BRCA gene mutation.
The most important thing to note in discussing family history for patients with breast cancer is it is not only the mothers side that matters, says Dr. Mautner. Common sense would say, Well, if my mother didnt have it and my grandmother didnt have it on her side, maybe I have nothing to worry about. And thats simply not true. The fathers history also is equally as important. You inherit half of your genes from your father.
While Carla was recovering from her surgery, she got the news that one of her identical twin daughters, Jillian, found a lump in her breast. Two days after her 34thbirthday, Jillian, who lives in Lakeland, Florida, was diagnosed with triple-negative breast cancer. Earlier this year, twin sister Samantha, in Phoenix, received the same diagnosis. Subsequent genetic test results revealed that both daughters had inherited the BRCA gene mutation from their father, who, in turn, could trace it to his father.
Carlas story is just so unique and unfortunate, says Dr. Mautner. Its unbelievable that she was going through a cancer that was caught extremely early and then one twin daughter gets diagnosed. And because theyre identical, it makes sense that the other daughter would have the exact same genetic makeup and also be at extremely high risk. Both of her daughters had much more aggressive breast cancer than Carla. Not only did they need surgery, but chemotherapy as well. Fortunately, theyre all doing well.
Cancer Patient Support Center
Ms. Walker credits theCancer Patient Support Centerat Miami Cancer Institute for helping her through her cancer journey and the traumatic news of her daughters cancer battles. I needed help with managing myself, my own diagnosis, my daughters diagnosis, and then my second childs diagnosis, she says, thankful for the support she received fromBeatriz Currier, M.D., Medical Director of Cancer Patient Support Center andChiefof Psychiatric Oncology at Miami Cancer Institute.
I really made a home in the Patient Support Center. I have used the exercise physiologist, Ive had acupuncture, I have had massage therapy. Ive worked with two of the dieticians there. I couldnt have had a better experience.
Most recently, Ms. Walker took advantage of a unique new service offered through the Cancer Patient Support Center; nipple tattooing. As she explains: After my mastectomy, I had no nipples or areola. That part of my skin had been removed. So, I felt kind of empty, or not quite whole. When I went in and I got that first tattoo done, she actually did a 3D tattoo of both the nipple and areola. It looks absolutely real. The results were beautiful and I couldnt be happier. I smile in the mirror every day now.
Dr. Mautner believes nipple tattooing is an important service to offer, saying, It may seem like a trivial thing to have nipple tattoos, but for women who have lost their nipples, thats a huge thing psychologically. Carla is now over a year and a half out from her surgery. Shes doing great. She has an excellent prognosis, but the nipple reconstruction really completed her journey and she feels whole again. Her confidence and her energy, you can just see that she feels back to baseline.
Exercise has played a major role in Ms. Walkers recovery. Shes a member of the Save Our Sisters dragon boat team alongside other breast cancer survivors.
We get into our dragon boat, our pink boat with our pink paddles and our pink shirts, and we move. It has been just absolutely almost life-saving for me, because its a great way to get rid of the stress. Its a way to move. Its a way to exercise, and those are the things that you need a lot after cancer. And, you can do it with women who know that youre sore, youre tough, youre going through something, she says.
Ms. Walker offers this advice to other women facing breast cancer: You absolutely cannot give up. You have to push on. You have to push through. When you think youre at the end, find a way to take that next step. Find a way, no matter what it is.
Tags: breast cancer, breast cancer awareness month, Miami Cancer Institute
Originally posted here:
- Sunday Funday Moment: Local woman-owned business celebrating 10th anniversary with virtual Loteria party. - KVIA El Paso - November 30th, 2020
- The day my Indian mother confronted me about my tattoo - SBS - November 26th, 2020
- Women and Minorities Value, Perceive, and Experience Professionalism Differently than Their Peers - Newswise - November 26th, 2020
- I studied 5,000 phone images: objects were more popular than people, but women took way more selfies - The Conversation AU - November 25th, 2020
- Megan Thee Stallion Reveals Why She Doesn't Have Any Tattoos - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2020
- Gassed in their cells, begging for food at Auckland Womens prison - RNZ - November 23rd, 2020
- Watch Lindsey Vonn Talk About Tattoos, Body Image, And Her Worst Injury In This 'Body Scan' Video - Women's Health - November 21st, 2020
- Pike River Mine: The women still bonded by tragedy a decade on - Newshub - November 18th, 2020
- OPINION: Tattoos are a way to express creativity - The Daily Evergreen - November 12th, 2020
- Fox Maxy discusses land and Indigenous people in his films - Daily Northwestern - November 12th, 2020
- Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. says to reach out to hear veterans stories at Madison County, NY Veterans Day ceremony - Utica Observer Dispatch - November 12th, 2020
- 50 Best Hand Tattoos For Women - Inspiration From Rihanna To Cara - elle.com - November 12th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 8th, 2020
- Meet the Artist Behind the Lighting Bolt Design That Has Become the Symbol of Womens Rights in an Increasingly Oppressive Poland - artnet News - November 5th, 2020
- Body of woman dumped in Inanda who had her throat slit and hands chopped off yet to be identified - Independent Online - November 5th, 2020
- 65 Cute Small Tattoos For Women: Tiny Tattoo Ideas (2020 ... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoos For Women An Ultimate Guide to Tattoo Beauty - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artist Teamed Up with Local Print Shop to Help Raise Money for Charities that Support Black Lives Matter During Ongoing Pandemic - Printing... - November 4th, 2020
- Tattoo Artists of Color on Working With Dark Skin - Allure - November 4th, 2020
- Sean Connery: Why women loved this James Bond - THE WEEK - November 1st, 2020
- 6 Women Share the Tattoos Inspired By Their Breast Cancer Diagnosis - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 31st, 2020
- Death-Defying Shotzi Blackheart Is a Perfect Choice to Revive the Beloved Halloween Havoc - Sports Illustrated - October 28th, 2020
- Diagnosed with Breast Cancer? Answers to Common Questions About Radiation - Chicago Health - October 28th, 2020
- 14 Incredibly Inspiring Breast Cancer Tattoos - Prevention.com - October 24th, 2020
- Watch Jordyn Woods Talk About Her 17 Piercings And 8 Tattoos In This New Video - Women's Health - October 22nd, 2020
- Think twice before getting that tattoo: It can cause your body to overheat - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Breast reconstruction: Are 3D nipple tattoos right for you? - Baylor College of Medicine News - October 22nd, 2020
- How COVID-19 changed the tattoo industry. - Newcity Design - October 22nd, 2020
- The Vow Season 2: What Happened to Keith Raniere, Allison Mack, and More NXIVM Key Players - Fort Leavenworth Lamp - October 19th, 2020
- 'I get a charge out of helping people': Breast cancer survivor finds way to give back to others - The Stanly News & Press - Stanly News &... - October 17th, 2020
- 40 Taunts By Desi Aunties That Make Young Single Women Go WTF - SheThePeople - October 17th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- The Link Between the Disappearances of Two North Texas African American Women - Local Profile - October 16th, 2020
- 'Trick-or-Treat from 6 Feet' offers fun way to give out Halloween candy - WBAL TV Baltimore - October 16th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 16th, 2020
- Far-flung face of poverty fight - Chinadaily.com.cn - Chinadaily USA - October 10th, 2020
- Woman testifies about talk of sex, witchcraft and killing during relationship with Trail, Boswell - KOLN - October 8th, 2020
- Erin Andrews Is Learning to Be Patient! - Greenwich Time - October 8th, 2020
- Fans are shocked to see Chris Evans' torso covered in tattoos in a video of him backflipping into a pool - Business Insider India - October 8th, 2020
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Tattoos aiding in recovery - NBC Right Now - October 8th, 2020
- Peter Andre shows off his scarred face for new film role with co-star Fredi Nwaka - The Sun - October 8th, 2020
- Man arrested in Camden deaths of woman, her son; search led to California - Arkansas Online - October 8th, 2020
- It was a cultural reset: A short history of the ABG aesthetic - i-D - October 8th, 2020
- The taboo around tattoos - The Aquinian - October 5th, 2020
- Keeping Up With The Alumni: Featuring Liz Hogan - Sports Illustrated - October 4th, 2020
- 25 Popular Forearm Tattoos for Women in 2020 - The Trend Spotter - October 2nd, 2020
- Dunedin tattoo artist helps guide transition for breast cancer survivors - Tampa Bay Newspapers - October 2nd, 2020
- Does Taylor Swift Have Any Tattoos? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 2nd, 2020
- The oldest tattoo shop in Louisiana is in New Orleans and operated by tattooing legend Jacci Gresham - Very Local New Orleans - October 2nd, 2020
- Which Celeb's Name Does Johnny Depp Have Tattooed Across His Heart? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 2nd, 2020
- Katie Price gets matching tattoos with boyfriend Carl Woods - Metro.co.uk - September 30th, 2020
- Lily-Rose Depp Reveals She Has a 'Ton of Anxiety' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 30th, 2020
- Movies Seen Alone in New York City, Reviewed - The Cut - September 30th, 2020
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Why we will sorely miss the 'Notorious' RBG | Opinion - Commercial Appeal - September 28th, 2020
- For Australia's military veterans, tattoos are an important reminder of the things they've seen - The Canberra Times - September 28th, 2020
- Hegar responds to attack ad that features tattoos covering her scars - Business Insider - Business Insider - September 25th, 2020
- I Have a Real-Life WAP, and Its Ruining My Sex Life - Slate - September 25th, 2020
- Israel Adesanya is the UFC champion inspired by anime, who rivals Conor McGregor for superstardom and - talkSPORT.com - September 25th, 2020
- Chinese city orders taxi drivers to remove tattoos (for the women and children) - bdnews24.com - September 23rd, 2020
- The daily gossip: The Hallmark Channel will have a Christmas movie about a same-sex couple this year, Dolly Parton has a beehive tattoo, and more -... - September 23rd, 2020
- 'Beard Baiting' Is The Latest Dating Trend Australians Need To Watch Out For - DMARGE - September 23rd, 2020
- Double murderer with tattoos on eyelids burned victims bodies in a flaming car and then carjacked woman at - The Sun - September 22nd, 2020
- DR. ROBERT WALLACE: Reader should be proactive with future love interests - Goshen News - September 22nd, 2020
- Davina McCall Exposes Intimate Tattoos In White Bodysuit After Becoming Oldest Cover Star For Womens Health - The Inquisitr - September 22nd, 2020
- In memoriam: Inspiration and hope in the life and work of Ruth Bader Ginsburg - One of the things that concerns me most is that we will no longer have... - September 22nd, 2020
- 'A leader of all humanity': Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a hero, icon, fighter for women and girls across the nation - USA TODAY - September 22nd, 2020
- Sexual harassment should not be the price of admission for women in the military - AirForceTimes.com - September 22nd, 2020
- What Does Johnny Depp's Tattoo Dedicated To Winona Ryder Say? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 20th, 2020
- Man tattoos his entire body black with Evil plastered across him and now wants to slice off his nippl - The Sun - September 12th, 2020
- Extreme tattoo fan inks entire body and wants to slice nipples off too - Daily Star - September 12th, 2020
- Hank Nuwer: Who was that masked man? Me - Greenfield Daily Reporter - September 12th, 2020
- Kick The Hobbit | Advice & Fun | Bend - The Source Weekly - September 9th, 2020
- Heart tattoos to highlight help available - Spalding Today - September 9th, 2020
- Human trafficking myths and misconceptions - Rio Blanco Herald Times - September 7th, 2020
- Guest View: More in Defense of Allison Mack These Were Adult Women - Artvoice - September 6th, 2020
- Kaia Gerber leaves little to the imagination in a barely-there outfit for her 19th birthday - HOLA USA - September 6th, 2020
- I wear my tattoos as badges of honour for the pain that remains hidden - Sydney Morning Herald - August 30th, 2020
- Watch Katherine McNamara Show Off All 10 Of Her Tattoos In This Video - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 30th, 2020
- 5 Best Looks Of Lita's Career (& The 5 Worst) | TheSportster - TheSportster - August 30th, 2020